Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Tiger

She met up with Mouse just before the body was reported, suggesting she was not searching with a partner. Were I to guess, the origami figure wasn't a message from the killer, but the victim--trying to point to who killed them (and if Bunny interpreted it that way it explains his comment about Sheep being overpowered). Tiger was also the one who nominated sheep, possibly ensuring that there would be someone holding a key who is both easily overpowered and naïve and trusting.

That's not to say there aren't other suspicions. Snake suggesting that the one running the game is responsible is often a sign of guilt, it's certainly possible for someone to steal the key off of Tiger without her noticing, and it's also possible Dragon and Snake are working together (and thus their entire testimony is suspect). But assuming there isn't a third key, whoever killed Sheep had to have Tiger's key, and simplest explanation is that it was Tiger herself currently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Going all the way back to the chess board that Snake was looking at, it does appear to be a valid position in the photo (games aren’t always great at providing clear views), but it’s unlikely that we can conclude anything by analyzing it. Because there doesn’t seem to be any way that Black can win.

In fact, it would appear to be Mate in 18 for White (Stockfish analyzed this with a depth of 31). That’s assuming I’m seeing the pieces properly.

As best as I can see it, the board looks like this:
FEN:
pre:
7r/p3bk1b/1pQpp3/7p/3PP3/PB1n1KP1/1P3P1P/N1R2N1R w - - 0 1
White has the queen forward on c6, one bishop (b3), all but the c-pawn, and both knights and both rooks on the first rank. The position of the king is questionable, but since many players do not dramatically tip over the king so it clatters around on the board in slow-motion, and instead just lay it down, f3 seems a likely spot. Either e3 or e2 is possible as well. It’s also probably White to move, since you don’t normally resign on your opponent’s turn.

Black, meanwhile, has just the knight on d3, king on f7, what is likely a bishop on h7, a rook on h8 (very hard to make out, but seems the most likely piece to be there), five pawns (a,b,d,e, and h), and then a bishop(?) on e7. Whatever’s actually on e7 is hard to tell. It sort of looks like it could be a knight. Although a knight there not only feels like an unnatural position but is surely even worse for Black.

Not that it really matters. There is no ‘hidden’ mate for Black here, and it doesn’t seem that any slight variation in the set-up would affect it.

What if Black to move? I didn’t go analyze it fully, but it’s hardly any better. Black could take the rook with the knight, or push the central pawns, but it’s only a matter of time before White’s back-up pieces swing into action, since Black doesn’t really have anything else to maintain an attack.

Interestingly, one of the best lines shown is indeed Bxe6, which is the move Snake made (it was described confusingly, but it's the only one that moves the bishop three squares). It is not the forced mate, though. That starts with Qd7 Nc5. It’s clear that the ‘quickest’ win involves White clearing out the central pawns and then pushing forward to get a queen, leading to an easy mating position.

It is possible that this is some famous game that ended with White making a terrible blunder and losing, but again that makes no sense with the idea of Black somehow convincing them to resign. It would seem only the ‘out of time’ angle fits, or a voluntary self-sacrifice for some reason or another.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Oct 31, 2022

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

ok it better be bunny doing the kills on this route - that immediate dismissal of the 'someone else' theory reeks of trying to force a false dichotomy to me, especially with how heavily he's trying to implicate dragon. he's been saying a lot of not-quite right stuff for the last couple updates

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Snake's analytical ability is certainly both impressive and terrifying. Why do I have a feeling this is probably Snake's route? He's so confident in his ability he has no problem giving Mouse his analysis and opinions about what's going on because he figures no one will be able to figure it out before it is too late.

Quite suspicious if you ask me.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Meant to post this after the update but its been a busy day, whoops! We have a vote for next update, and this one's pretty straightforward:

Would we be safer exploring with Bunny for Trinkets, or would we be better off going alone like we have been?

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Let’s go alone.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

stick with bunny. Going it alone at this point sounds like a great way to die. Unless the killer is bun bun.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Let's stick with Bunny. He will certainly protect us... right?

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
But I want to go with Snake... :(

If he's the Ambitious one, he seems to like Mouse, so he might be willing to take Mouse along for the ride. :cheeky: And if he's Hateful... well, he probably doesn't really need to kill anyone else at this point. There are only ten players left. If everyone else uses a Minor Trinket at ten or fewer spaces away from the finish, Hateful and Ambitious can just... not do that, allowing the other eight players to either cross or get super-close to the finish line while giving Hateful a comfortable cushion to remain in last place. Eight players crossing the finish line at once isn't enough to trigger the exception to "if Hateful is in last place, everyone dies."

Looking at how the rules are written... it sounds like the Ambitious person could survive an eight-way victory of everyone else as long as the Hateful player is in last place, since if eight or fewer people cross the finish line while the Hateful person is in last place, everyone but the Hateful and Ambitious players die. So unless the Ambitious person is willing to die for everyone else, they'll probably go along with what helps the Hateful person if things come down to that.

Of course, pulling something like that would make it pretty obvious who Hateful and Ambitious are, but at that point it might not matter. Most players don't have a great way to *not* move forward; they could try giving a crappy confession, since that has a chance of moving them forward zero spaces, but the Jade Emperor probably isn't going to cooperate with anyone trying to "abuse" the Confess action in that way.

Now I'm wondering if Snake's secret ability might have something to do with learning other people's personalities. It's not super-fitting for Snake's role in the zodiac race legend, but... if it turns out that he isn't Ambitious/Hateful, then given his analytical nature, he surely knows that there's not much use using Minor Trinkets at this point in the game without knowing who's Hateful/Ambitious, and since he hasn't pointed it out, he might have a way to get said knowledge. (Or maybe there's a Major Trinket that can be used to reveal other players' personalities.)

In any case, I vote to go exploring with Bunny. We have meta-knowledge that he isn't Ambitious or Hateful, so he doesn't have that particular motive to kill anyone this game. Sure, he's kind of a dick, but I'm inclined to think that he's at least a dick that won't immediately try to kill Mouse once they're alone together as long as he doesn't have special victory conditions.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Let's go with bunny, because it's going to be more interesting

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Kangra posted:

Going all the way back to the chess board that Snake was looking at, it does appear to be a valid position in the photo (games aren’t always great at providing clear views), but it’s unlikely that we can conclude anything by analyzing it. Because there doesn’t seem to be any way that Black can win.

In fact, it would appear to be Mate in 18 for White (Stockfish analyzed this with a depth of 31). That’s assuming I’m seeing the pieces properly.

As best as I can see it, the board looks like this:
FEN:
pre:
7r/p3bk1b/1pQpp3/7p/3PP3/PB1n1KP1/1P3P1P/N1R2N1R w - - 0 1
White has the queen forward on c6, one bishop (b3), all but the c-pawn, and both knights and both rooks on the first rank. The position of the king is questionable, but since many players do not dramatically tip over the king so it clatters around on the board in slow-motion, and instead just lay it down, f3 seems a likely spot. Either e3 or e2 is possible as well. It’s also probably White to move, since you don’t normally resign on your opponent’s turn.

Black, meanwhile, has just the knight on d3, king on f7, what is likely a bishop on h7, a rook on h8 (very hard to make out, but seems the most likely piece to be there), five pawns (a,b,d,e, and h), and then a bishop(?) on e7. Whatever’s actually on e7 is hard to tell. It sort of looks like it could be a knight. Although a knight there not only feels like an unnatural position but is surely even worse for Black.

Not that it really matters. There is no ‘hidden’ mate for Black here, and it doesn’t seem that any slight variation in the set-up would affect it.

What if Black to move? I didn’t go analyze it fully, but it’s hardly any better. Black could take the rook with the knight, or push the central pawns, but it’s only a matter of time before White’s back-up pieces swing into action, since Black doesn’t really have anything else to maintain an attack.

Interestingly, one of the best lines shown is indeed Bxe6, which is the move Snake made (it was described confusingly, but it's the only one that moves the bishop three squares). It is not the forced mate, though. That starts with Qd7 Nc5. It’s clear that the ‘quickest’ win involves White clearing out the central pawns and then pushing forward to get a queen, leading to an easy mating position.

It is possible that this is some famous game that ended with White making a terrible blunder and losing, but again that makes no sense with the idea of Black somehow convincing them to resign. It would seem only the ‘out of time’ angle fits, or a voluntary self-sacrifice for some reason or another.

There's always the option that there was no actual hidden path to victory for Black, but they were able to convince White there was.

Go with Bunny, safety in numbers and stuff.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

PepperedMoth posted:

Now I'm wondering if Snake's secret ability might have something to do with learning other people's personalities. It's not super-fitting for Snake's role in the zodiac race legend, but... if it turns out that he isn't Ambitious/Hateful, then given his analytical nature, he surely knows that there's not much use using Minor Trinkets at this point in the game without knowing who's Hateful/Ambitious, and since he hasn't pointed it out, he might have a way to get said knowledge. (Or maybe there's a Major Trinket that can be used to reveal other players' personalities.)

I think Snake's ability interacts with other abilities in some way (possibly stopping them); he was evasive about it before anyone had reason to believe the personalities mattered in any way, and it makes sense that if he'd hide having an ability that could screw someone over for fear of people not trusting him.

I'll vote go with Bunny; one of the bad ends last time made it pretty clear that even without immediate mortal threat, going alone means getting less information and that's a killer in this game.

Edit: The more I think about it the more I think Bunny's line about Sheep being overpowered was meant to throw the killer off; it seems more likely she let her guard down around someone she trusted.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm for going with Bunny to see if he slips up in what he says. I'm not sure I trust him.

Another wrinkle of the chess game, since it tends to pop up in retrograde analysis puzzles: What if the board is upside-down? Maybe there's a win for Black there, since the a-pawn now becomes an h-pawn about to promote? Still no. I even allowed Black to move, and though there's no forced mate found (at depth 32), it's again White with a big advantage, what with three pawns about to promote. Not to mention that maneuvering those pawns around each other might well make this an impossible position to reach. Then again we are making an assumption that this game was played and interrupted, and not set up deliberately with some meaning behind it.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
I think rather than analyzing the specifics of the chess game, it's important to remember that the one who make the observations on it is Snake, a man who, while very clever, thus far has proven to be a person who misses the forest for the trees. He points out that this game makes no sense to be here unless A) it's a deliberate message or B) whoever was playing had to leave in a hurry, and either way it's likely the mastermind was one of the people playing.

People have been trying to guess the message assuming the former, but let's say it's the latter--it was a real game being played, one of the players was the mastermind, and there's a difference in skill between the two players. What is the most important thing we can glean from that information in this case?

The mastermind isn't working alone.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

ZCKaiser posted:

People have been trying to guess the message assuming the former, but let's say it's the latter--it was a real game being played, one of the players was the mastermind, and there's a difference in skill between the two players. What is the most important thing we can glean from that information in this case?

The mastermind isn't working alone.

Unless the mastermind was playing both black and white at the same time! :tinfoil:

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

dervival posted:

Unless the mastermind was playing both black and white at the same time! :tinfoil:

Two masterminds from different timelines!!!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

The actual secret behind the board is that snake was one of the players and he surrendered because he didn't have the heart to tell him that chess wasn't just checkers with funny pieces.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

dervival posted:

J...Junkos?! :rimshot:

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014

dervival posted:

That's why I pointed out the apparent differing skill levels; if it's a real game it suggests two different people. (Admittedly that's a big IF there.)

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

[BGM: Lucky Foot]

Dragon had the right idea in looking in places that were likely to be impactful. An auditorium seemed to fit that sort of bill.

As soon as I entered I realized that such a large room would definitely take some time. That was fine. I didn't have to rush. I began my methodical search. During that search, I decided to open my tablet and push the RUN button again. I trusted that I wouldn't need to change my action. I would stick with the plan in Round 6. And I definitely didn't want to cut it close to the wire this time.

I took my time going through the auditorium, making sure no place was left unturned. Eventually, I found a safe under a seat. Yes! This could be something! That excitement shattered when I realized the safe had already been opened. gently caress. This was the problem with not communicating well- some of us were going over space that others had already looked over. But this sort of setback wouldn't stop me!

I moved on to a hallway full of classrooms. I made sure to inspect each one to the fullest! ...Unfortunately, it was no dice after no dice. As I approached the next classroom, I noticed something odd looking through the window. It appeared that right next to the door, someone had stacked textbook on top of textbook into a tower. The textbooks were on their ends, which made the tower a real balancing act. But hold on a second, if someone built this, then there was no way they could actually exit the room, right? In that case, someone must be inside this room. But who would-

A horrid feeling swept hold of me. These books made it so that someone should be inside this room. If the only person I could find in there was dead... It would be another impossible crime. It couldn't be, right? Snake had said that people would be on their guard! I opened the door, and the books fell to the ground.

[BGM: Rat's Awakening]

And as I looked into the classroom, to my left, I saw her.

Dragon.

Dead.

Wait, wait, wait. I didn't know that yet. Quickly, I needed to confirm that! I ran over to her and checked her pulse. But I didn't feel anything. After looking for a bit, I realized she also had an injection mark by her neck.

Another origami cat was laid right next to her body. Sheep's killer had struck with the poison again. And left her in this apparent locked room. Unlike the other deaths, I couldn't afford to crumple. I was sad to see Dragon like this, but at this point, I was starting to get used to victims. I needed to make sure there weren't any more.

So that means I needed to figure out what the deal was with this room. Those books should've made it so that no one could enter the room. Did that mean the killer was still in here? I looked around the room, but there wasn't anywhere to hide. ...No, there was actually one place. I tried to open the closet, but it wouldn't budge. I figured as much. Plenty of the classrooms had had closets, and most of them were locked. It was probably unrelated to the game- rather, the school generally kept those closets locked and Brian saw no need to open them. That was besides the point. I needed to alert someone about what I had found.

I left the room and started calling out for people as I walked down the hallway. Before long, Bunny and Ox ran over to me.

Mouse, what is it?

Someone else has been killed.

For real?

drat it. I thought people would be more careful.

Well, who died?

Dragon.

Seriously? Out of everyone, I thought she wouldn't get killed!

Horrible.

Where's the crime scene?

It's in a classroom over here.

I led them to the gruesome scene. Bunny winced at the sight. Ox approached the body and started to inspect it.

She's been injected with the same poison that killed Sheep. And there's another origami cat by her.

Wait, if it was the same person, does that mean this room was locked too?

Sort of? The killer stacked up a pile of these books end to end in a little tower right next to the door. I don't see any way they would've been able to do that and then open the door to leave.

Is that door the only exit?

Well, there are those windows, but those lead out of the building. I'm pretty sure no one can go through those.

Right, right.

Bunny had crouched down and started examining the books lying on the floor.

What are you looking at?

I'm trying to see if there's anything off about the books. If they really were tenuously stacked, then it is an issue. But if there was something like glue that kept them stuck together, it might be possible to set this 'locked room' from the outside.

That makes sense... but the books all fell apart when I opened the door.

Correct. I'm also not noticing any traces of something like that, so I might be wrong about this.

You know, there is a simple solution to this locked room.

What?

The pile of books was never stacked up in the first place.

You don't suspect me, do you?

No, no I do not. I'm just warning you others might.

Well gee, thanks.

[BGM: Dog Days]

Anyways, we should probably let the others know about this, right? This will sound morose, but we don't have time to gather and mourn like before. I'll go around the school and tell everyone individually, but I'll also tell them to keep looking.

Do you really think people will keep looking, given the circumstances? There's a limit of how much murder people can see before they snap, and I fear some of them might be approaching theirs.

You'd rather hide this death?

What they don't know won't hurt them.

How pragmatic. I wouldn't have expected it from you.

Oh, I'm just throwing things out there, it might be really stupid, I don't know.

It's not stupid. But it's not what we're doing.

In that case, should I get back to looking for Trinkets?

Yes. Now we only need 9.

But how will we know when we have enough as a group if we're all split up like this?

I told everyone to meet back up in the cafeteria at the start of Round 8 when we were all around Dog's body. I hope that we'll have enough by then.

Well then, I'll see you around.

Ox left the room, leaving me and Bunny by ourselves.

[BGM: Silence]

Say, Mouse, things are getting pretty dangerous, huh?

I'll say.

Would you feel better if you looked for Trinkets with me? I think we'd be safer as a group.

I mean, don't feel like you have to, of course. I just know I'm scared to look alone, and I was worried you might be.

Um, well...

Should I search with Bunny?

Oh hey, a choice! And this time it's a real one! The thread voted to go with Bunny, so that's what we're going to do.

Sure, that sounds like a good idea.

Great!

[BGM: Lucky Foot]

So, where do we want to start looking?

Hmm... How about we try looking more on the third floor?

Sure thing. Lead the way.

A bit uneasy, I led Bunny up the nearby staircase and to a nearby classroom.

This is as good a place as any to look, right?

Yeah, right. Let's try giving this place the sweep.

Bunny and I worked together to look through the classroom for any clues that a Trinket might be here. I made sure to keep some distance between the two of us. It wasn't that I distrusted him, but better safe than sorry. Unfortunately, it looked like I chose the wrong place to search.

Nothing, huh?

drat.

Well, it's not unexpected. At this point, it's more likely we don't find anything than we do.

I guess that's right.

Still, I'm glad we're working together.

I don't know what would happen if I ran into Tiger right now.

Tiger?

I mean, she's the killer, right?

I thought you said the killer was Dragon!

Yeah, well, that's before Dragon wound up dead.

Now that she's gone, I've no choice but to think the killer has got to be Tiger. Even if it's obvious, that's the only way the locked room with Sheep makes any sense.

You don't think that there's a chance Dragon killed Sheep and someone else killed Dragon?

No way.

This might sound like a silly reason to believe that, but I don't think more than one person here would know how to fold an origami cat. I mean, that's a pretty obscure skill I'm surprised even one person knows how to do.

That's your reasoning?

I said it was a silly reason.

Well, you were right.

Say, what time is it? Are we on Round 7 at this point?

I checked my tablet.

Yeah, Round 7's started.

Should we just input our actions now?

What if we find the Minor Trinkets? We'd have to wait an extra round.

And?

We're going to meet up at the start of Round 8, right? I don't imagine we're going to use the Trinkets before then anyways. So might as well input now, you know?

I guess you're right.

Great. You can input in here, I'll put mine in in another room.

Got it.

Bunny left the room, leaving me to input my action. I just had to click Run, right? No reason to think any further. I input my move then left the classroom.

Bunny was also standing out in the hallway.

So what now? Want to look at more classrooms?

We should be smarter in how we search. Where are these Trinkets likely to be hidden?

Couldn't they be hidden anywhere?

They could, but let's search some key places first. Hey, has anyone looked around the main entrance to the school? That seems like a good place to search, right?

Sure, that makes sense.

Okay then.

With a new searching area in mind, we headed out with high hopes. What could go wrong? I entered the stairwell with my head held high.

So then why did I find Tiger's limp body leaning against the railing?

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Narrator: There was a reason to think further.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

Boy, the traitor is certainly going all out in their killing spree, huh? First it's Sheep, Dog, Dragon and then likely Tiger. On top of that the remaining survivors doesn't seem to be getting anywhere closer to solving the murders either. The traitor is really good at covering up their tracks.

Hopefully they can solve it before it becomes too problematic. Well, I guess it already is, but still...

EDIT: A word

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

You know, you would think after the first body gigantic weapons cache the group would have decided to stop wandering around alone. Preferably in groups no less than 3. Alas here we are at body number 4...

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
Yeah... the characters don't seem to be doing too well on the common sense front. With the last route, it was "Why isn't anyone standing between Dog and the door!?" With this route, it's "Why is everyone wandering around alone with a murderer on the loose, and why has no one pointed out that with the current number of survivors, synchronized Minor Trinket use can't save (most of) the group if the Hateful personality is still in play?"

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
What would be entertaining is if the deaths end here, and everyone else gets out fine (but has no idea what happened).

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

[BGM: A Bite That Persists]

Tiger!

Woah, seriously?

Bunny ran forward and checked her pulse.

She's dead too.

Why? Why does this poo poo have to keep happening?!

Calm down. I think this one's different.

Huh?

I mean, there's no origami cat by her body this time, right?

Bunny was right. There wasn't that signature calling card.

That is strange.

This also isn't some weird locked room situation, which was the case with all the previous victims.

Then do you think this is a different killer?

It would have to be, considering Tiger was most likely the first killer. Maybe someone else realized Tiger had to be the one behind the other murders and decided to get to her first.

But we didn't know that for sure! We still hadn't figured out what the deal with Dragon's murder was. It's too soon to pin the blame of the origami cat murders on Tiger.

I'm more interested in how someone was able to kill Tiger.

It's not another injection case?

No, look, she was strangled.

Bunny gestured to Tiger's neck, which indeed had a mark around it.

Someone used something like a wire to choke her to death.

How horrible.

But I mean, who could do something like that? Tiger was on high alert and she's super athletic.

Strangling someone, even with a wire, is a slow method of murder that she should've been able to fight back against. The only person I could see being able to kill her would be Horse.

So what, you think Horse did this?

He did seem awfully close to Sheep before. You didn't see it because you were too busy investigating the murder, but he was super angry when she was found dead.

If he had reason to believe Tiger was the killer, I could see him trying to take revenge.

I don't know. At the very least I would have thought he'd talk to us about it.

Do you have any other ideas then? You think someone like Pig or Monkey could've strangled her to death?

Agh, I just wish I could know if Tiger really was the one behind the first murders.

Right as he said that, I received a flash of inspiration.

Maybe we can. Let me see her tablet.

Her tablet?

Yeah, her tablet. I know it's against the rules for someone else to use it, but she's already dead, right?

Yeah, and?

Let's assume that the murderer was either the person who got the 'ambitious' personality or the person who got the 'hateful' personality. I don't think there are any other likely motives.

Okay, I can buy that.

Well with this tablet, we can check to see what Tiger's personality is!

Oh, that works!

I started operating the tablet, but a bit after I interacted with it I heard a sound.

What was that?

I believe the knives just shot out of Tiger's collar.

What? Even though she's already dead?

The execution system is blind to that sort of thing. I looked at Dog's corpse again before you called me over to look at Dragon's corpse, and the knives went into his body as well.

Probably because he never input any actions that round.

What a brutal system.

Yeah, but forget that for now. What's her personality?

Looking... Why isn't there anything on the screen?

I tried tapping it, and a voice came on.

Information. Run. Ability. Confess. Item.

What is this?

Is the tablet voice operated?

You might be right. That's weird. Is yours?

No, mine is just touch operated.

Mine too. Weird. Um... 'Information'.

Personality. Ability.

Personality.

Your personality is 'Selfless'.

'Selfless'!

So she wasn't ambitious or hateful, huh?

That means she probably didn't kill anyone!

But if that's the case, how the hell did Sheep die?

Neither of us had any good answers.

At this point, we were lost.

So what should we do now?

We need to tell everyone about this, right?

I thought you were against telling others about the deaths.

At this point they need to know.

We're going to meet up at the start of Round 8 anyways, right? Let's try gathering everyone to meet up in the cafeteria. We haven't had a good group meeting in a while, and I think that might be useful.

Good idea.

Plus, we need one less Trinket now!

...You could say that a little less joyfully.

Sorry, sorry, you're right.

But you're right as well. We only need 8 Trinkets, and we had 7 not too long ago, right? It's very likely we have everything we need.

Right. If we don't need to search for Trinkets, we can all stay in one place and stick to a plan. Then we should be safe.

...Probably.

Then let's get to finding everyone.

[BGM: Final Squeal]

Okay.

And just like that, Bunny and I began searching through the whole school for others. We told them all to meet in the cafeteria. Luckily, we didn't come across any more dead bodies. When all was said and done, 8 of us were gathered in the cafeteria.

Look, I'm not dying until I get into the 'In Memoriam' section. Please tell me this nightmare is over.

Luckily, I have had the good fortune not to stare upon a corpse directly yet, for if I do it will most certainly triple the trauma this experience imparts on me.

As a therapist, I really can't afford to be psychologically compromised. Therefore, I second Rooster's plea that we end things.

You two seem awfully eager to get out of here. Could you be feeling... guilty?

To feel guilty, you must first sin. And, it's sad to say, but angels are sin-free!

Your point being?

Horse, I'm aware you're in a fragile state after seeing all this death, but please do not make hasty accusations. The fragile camaraderie we currently possess will shatter if the atmosphere gets any worse.

How could it get worse? Four of us are dead!

What if I'm next? Oh god, I don't want to be murdered! Please, just let me have a heart attack right now, that'd be way better!

Would you all shut up? Christ. Look, everyone who currently has a Minor Trinket, throw it in this pile. Let's see how many we have.

Everyone complied, and those with Trinkets put them in the center.

Seven, huh. So no one has found a single other Trinket since we last counted?

That's not necessarily true.

Snake chimed in from nearby the chess table, where he had just moved a piece.

If any of the victims found a Trinket, they would likely have it confiscated by the killer. And of course, if the ambitious or the hateful one found one, they'd also hide it.

Helpful, Snake.

I try.

Do you have to be such a pessimist?

I'm a realist. And realistically speaking, our chances of making it out together have plummeted ever since you found Dragon's body in Mr. Golloday's room.

Mr. Golloday's?

That was the name written on the whiteboard, no?

So you went to check out the crime scene?

But of course. After hearing about the 'locked room' situation, I hoped to solve it again. Unfortunately, this puzzle was above my ability.

So what? Are we doomed?!

Of course not. Surely there's another way for us to survive, right?

...Right?

Calm down, will you? The Round's about to end. For now, let's make sure everything's on track, then we'll discuss future steps.

And just as Ox brought our attention to the screen, the speakers kicked on.

Round 7 has ended. Now, let us see how the race has progressed.

The Rat has RUN one space.

The Ox has RUN one space.

The Tiger has RUN one space.

The Bunny has RUN one space.

The Dragon has failed to make a move.

The Snake has RUN one space.

The Horse has RUN one space.

The Sheep has failed to make a move.

The Monkey has RUN one space.

The Rooster has RUN one space.

The Dog has failed to make a move.

The Pig has RUN one space.

Now, Round 8 has begun. Do your best, and choose wisely.

Sheep was on the 5th space. Dog was on the 6th space. Dragon was on the 7th. The rest of us were on the 8th space. Despite everything, we were still together in the race.

[BGM: Ox's Logic]

Good. So things aren't entirely off-track.

Not off track? Four of us are dead.

I'd say that's pretty 'off track'.

Adaptability is an important skill in life.

You're talking as if people haven't been murdered!

That is very unhealthy mental baggage, so I have decided to ignore it.

It's just that easy to you?

I wonder what exactly you think is easy.

What are we going to do?!

Keep it down, would you? For Christ's sake, you people are annoying.

S-Sorry!

No no, don't be. I'm sorry for snapping at you like that. I think the tension is starting to get to me.

People, there's nothing to question. Look at all these Trinkets we have right here. Seven of them.

One more and we can get out together. I think what we need to do is clear. Each one of you should hold on to one of these Trinkets. I'll stay without one for now. We just need to find one more of these things.

The moment we do, that person calls out and gathers everybody, and then we'll leave together. I know there aren't many left. It's even possible that the traitors have taken some.

But we just need one more. That's it – one more and we're clear. We can do this.

Now who's with me?

I am!!

As am I.

Yeah, we can do it guys!

Tch. Wasn't that good a speech. No pizzaz at all.

Ox somehow managed to turn back the public mood to a positive one. With that, everyone started splitting up to search with positive attitudes. As for me, I started heading to the school's front entrance with Ox.

[BGM: That Pesky Rodent]

Wow. Way to turn the group feeling around.

Yes, well, I just did my best Tiger impression.

It seems if that comes from someone you don't expect it from, it's more effective. ...That or people just desperately want to feel hopeful.

Tiger might've pumped them up better.

She might've.

She was kind of weird, but she was a good person.

She will be missed. They'll all be missed.

Whoever did this isn't going to get away with it.

I agree. It's unlikely they will.

Who do you think did it?

I think this is an awfully unhelpful conversation when we're supposed to be looking for Minor Trinkets.

You don't think it's worth figuring out who did it?

I think it doesn't really change our course of action. And I think it's impossible to say conclusively who it is with the information present.

But if you had to take a guess.

I told you, I'm not going to just accuse someone of a serial murder for the fun of it.

If I was going to say anything, I would examine the method in which the murders were committed.

You mean how were the locked room murders done?

That might be helpful, but that's not what I mean. I'm saying you should think about it process of elimination style. This person wants to kill people off one by one. What would that look like?

What about if this person wanted to? Or this person? When prosecuting, the trick is to tell the most believable story you can to the jury. Stories are all about characters doing things that make sense to them.

For whom would this situation make sense?

Ah... I get what you're saying.

But as I said, search for Trinkets first, mystery solve later.

Yeah, yeah...

With that, we quit our talk of who the killer might be and focused on methodically sweeping the area. Surely a Trinket would show up at some point, right? But from room to room, we weren't able to find anything. Eventually, Ox spoke up.

It's getting close to the end of the round, right? We should probably run now.

Should we try and gather everyone again for this?

No, no, we just need to keep searching for a Trinket. We find a Trinket and everything will be great. Just need a Trinket.

A small part of the back of my mind despaired at the realization that we had become so far gone for these stupid tokens with random numbers on them. But that part of my brain would have to shut up. For now, even if the game we were playing was dumb, we were playing it with our lives on the line.

Ox went into a separate room so we could make our moves. Obviously I clicked on RUN. We were so close to escaping, why would I betray now? Ox came back in, and then we continued our search. However, it wasn't very long before we had a visitor.

Ah, there you are.

Snake.

Does the fact that you're looking for us mean you've found the Trinket?

Very much not, I'm afraid.

Then why are you here?

I have... unfortunate news to deliver.

Oh no! Is someone else dead?

No, no, not that.

Then what is it?

I think you should come to the cafeteria and see for yourself.

Why the hell did Snake have to be coy at a time like this? Still, there wasn't much I could do but follow his lead into the cafeteria.

[BGM: Mousetrap]

What am I supposed to be seeing here?

Look at the race results.

Wait a minute... No way!

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

It's also time to vote for what route we're going to be going down next, as next week we will be reaching the end of this one! :eng101:

As always, you can vote here.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.

Mix. posted:

Who do you think did it?

I think this is an awfully unhelpful conversation when we're supposed to be looking for Minor Trinkets.

You don't think it's worth figuring out who did it?

I think it doesn't really change our course of action. And I think it's impossible to say conclusively who it is with the information present.

Mix. posted:

It's getting close to the end of the round, right? We should probably run now.

Should we try and gather everyone again for this?

No, no, we just need to keep searching for a Trinket. We find a Trinket and everything will be great. Just need a Trinket.

Ox is now my top suspect for the Hateful personality. Pushing people to focus solely on getting Minor Trinkets and actively attempting to prevent speculation on who committed the murders is exactly the sort of thing that would benefit the Hateful personality. Since Ox works in criminal law, he presumably knows quite a bit about how crimes are committed (and how people attempt to cover them up), which could have been used to commit murders himself (possibly with an Ambitious accomplice).

I think that Pig is probably just panicking rather than being Ambitious; this doesn't seem like a terribly well-planned move, since it makes her look immediately suspicious (which I imagine Ox will point out pretty quickly) and doesn't even put her all that close to the finish line. (Though I guess she could be Hateful pretending to be Ambitious in hopes that the other players will jump ahead of her... vs. just straight-up murdering her, the latter of which is clearly an option at least one of the players is fine with.)

Still drives me up a wall how nobody's pointed out the fact that trying to jump across the finish line with Minor Trinkets without somehow neutralizing the Hateful player (which in this route probably involves killing them, since nobody's found the Taming Whip so far as we know) is a terrible idea.

At least now we know that it's quite possible to check people's personalities after they die, in which case the obvious thing to do in this situation is go around as a group and check all the victims' roles; if one of the victims was Hateful or Ambitious, that's absolutely vital to know to plan future actions.

Though it's interesting that whoever killed Tiger apparently didn't check her personality. (Maybe they didn't think to, or maybe they didn't care.)

Also, I voted for 2, in the hope that 2 is Snake's route (assuming we're not currently on Snake's route), because I find I'm liking Snake better as a character than I did at first.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

wait, has any other contestant checked for pulses outside of Bunny? If not, it could be that Tiger was only rendered unconscious and it was the collar that actually performed the kill; that'd be much faster than strangulation, which would ruin any of "there wasn't enough time" excuses people may have

e: yeah, looks like several people have checked pulses but Bunny seems to be the only one to have checked Tiger. I'm still really suspicious of how Bunny has assumed authority without anyone acknowledging it.

dervival fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 4, 2022

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Fascinating that that one tablet is voice activated - maybe this is part of why the game rules say you're only allowed to check your tablet when alone in a room.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

One hhas to wonder WHY it is voice activated. That only makes sense if tiger can't interact with it by touch and that only works in 2 situations i can think of - either she's blind (but we don't see even the slightest indication of that, do we?) or her hands aren't real somehow and cannot operate such a device. The second option is extra interesting because, say, getting her hands replaced could in fact be a motive to lie in that court case and also explain why she couldn't deal with the strangulation.

Regallion fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 4, 2022

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

dervival posted:

e: yeah, looks like several people have checked pulses but Bunny seems to be the only one to have checked Tiger. I'm still really suspicious of how Bunny has assumed authority without anyone acknowledging it.

The thing is, that Bunny himself admits he has the victorious personality in Dog's route, so if he really is responsible for this, he's not doing it because of the personality twist.

Also, toss another one into the personality pile, we now know who the selfless personality is, once that's meaningful in another route;

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
Who is the murderer?

Without Mouse, it cannot be seen.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Regallion posted:

One hhas to wonder WHY it is voice activated. That only makes sense if tiger can't interact with it by touch and that only works in 2 situations i can think of - either she's blind (but we don't see even the slightest indication of that, do we?) or her hands aren't real somehow and cannot operate such a device. The second option is extra interesting because, say, getting her hands replaced could in fact be a motive to lie in that court case and also explain why she couldn't deal with the strangulation.

There's also the option that she can't read I suppose.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I immediately jumped to thinking Tiger was blind too. Has there been anything to hint at that?

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Cloacamazing! posted:

There's also the option that she can't read I suppose.

Fair enough, although that would be a very unusual thing in a modern setting, especially since she seems to know the language.

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

That is definitely not an unusual thing in a modern setting - something like 4% of Americans are functionally illiterate - and "she was so good at sports that she never got a real childhood or even a basic education" would actually be pretty realistic. But I don't know if any of that would make a great death game reveal.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Reminder: Tiger said she was homeschooled, back in the gym.

Sketchie
Nov 14, 2012

That's certainly strange.

Sheep, Dog, Dragon and Tiger can obviously be easily explained. Mouse clicked on RUN. The same can be said for Ox, Bunny and Snake. Those are easily explained as well.

But all others? I wonder what happened that made them panic and use their abilities/trinkets instead of just simply using RUN. Someone must've been manipulating them from the behind the scenes - and very swiftly at that, since they were able to convince them to use their abilities or trinkets instead of just using RUN in a short amount of time.

However, I am not sure why they are so very spread out. I wonder what is their true aim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Explosions posted:

That is definitely not an unusual thing in a modern setting - something like 4% of Americans are functionally illiterate
It would be very unusual alongside how well she talks. That US 4% strict illiteracy + 4% functional illiteracy number is for English only, and tracks pretty well with the 8% of people who tell the Census they can't speak English "very well" or better