Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

If terfs had any capacity for shame they wouldn’t be terfs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

vyelkin posted:

jk rowling is daniel radcliffe's mom, it's the only thing that makes sense

or her real name is jk nooian soong

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

preferably all assets stripped and then sent to zombieland

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

vyelkin posted:

I'm holding off on watching Andor because even though I keep hearing that it's good I've been burned before by thinking a Star Wars thing was good and then at the end Luke Skywalker appears out of nowhere to remind the audience that there are only four people in the whole galaxy

it's been good so far and i'm guessing it will stick the landing

at which point it will finally register on the exec's radar and they will announce a season 2, complete with teaser of Andor in trouble only to reveal Baby Yoda picking up a lightsaber and murdering a bunch of stormtroopers hell yeah star wars is back baby *lighsaber noises* phweeoo woop phwump

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Saw Guerrera did nothing wrong

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Season 2 of Andor is going to suffer just because they're going to end up cramming 4 years of storyline into one season and a lot of the best stuff here is just things having time to breathe. Just giving me Rome season 2 alarm bells, though at least they planned it out ahead of time

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah season 2 is mapped out and is the confirmed end of the show so i'm less worried than i could have been

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

The guy he's talking to is a celebrity personal trainer lol

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Aglet56 posted:

however, the ending is very melodramatic and hollywood and silly. my understanding of the book is that the main character is killed in the last month of the war, basically at random during an otherwise peaceful day, thus the title of the book: his death is a total nonevent which doesn't even register in the larger scope of the war. here, his jackass commanding officer orders an attack during the literal last 15 minutes of the war. the protagonist, scarred by the death of his best friend, runs forward and goes 300 on a bunch of frenchmen and kills like 5 guys before being stabbed, at which point he staggers forward and looks at all the slo-mo devastation around him. the second the armistice goes into effect, the french and german soldiers stop in mid-battle and walk away from each other's trenches like a paintball match.

overall, it's a far cry from Come and See, a movie which it's clearly aping at several points

jesus christ. i love hollywood is incapable of telling war movies

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm glad i clicked the spoilers. i was halfway through All Quiet and got to the big tank battle and was like ???

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Farm Frenzy posted:

It's crazy what happens when you decide to make something good and not bad

i dont know why they don't always decide to make something good instead of bad. making bad things seems like a waste of time IMHO

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord

Grevling posted:

That's funny, that part wasn't kept in. Instead there's a bunch of scenes that as far as I know aren't in the book at all.

i say swears online posted:

i'm glad i clicked the spoilers. i was halfway through All Quiet and got to the big tank battle and was like ???

:wtfdude:

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
believe it or not, this movie is actually from germany and is not a hollywood production

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
between Prey and All Quiet on the Western Front, it's a good year for frenchmen getting brutalized onscreen

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Aglet56 posted:

believe it or not, this movie is actually from germany and is not a hollywood production

yes but it seems like it was directed by uwe boll

Aglet56 posted:

between Prey and All Quiet on the Western Front, it's a good year for frenchmen getting brutalized onscreen

lol the french trappers were by far my favorite part

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Aglet56 posted:

i watched the netflix All Quiet on the Western Front. i enjoyed aspects of it but it was definitely lacking.

the sets and costumes were lavishly produced and looked very expensive. i liked the performances and the lead had several scenes to flex his muscles where he showed some good acting. i always liked the anecdotes of german soldiers pausing during attacks in the Spring Offensive to raid allied trenches for food, which is faithfully depicted here.

however, the ending is very melodramatic and hollywood and silly. my understanding of the book is that the main character is killed in the last month of the war, basically at random during an otherwise peaceful day, thus the title of the book: his death is a total nonevent which doesn't even register in the larger scope of the war. here, his jackass commanding officer orders an attack during the literal last 15 minutes of the war. the protagonist, scarred by the death of his best friend, runs forward and goes 300 on a bunch of frenchmen and kills like 5 guys before being stabbed, at which point he staggers forward and looks at all the slo-mo devastation around him. the second the armistice goes into effect, the french and german soldiers stop in mid-battle and walk away from each other's trenches like a paintball match.

overall, it's a far cry from Come and See, a movie which it's clearly aping at several points

yeah it's a real mixed bag. the opening is well done, the cast and acting are good. that scene in the crater is horrific. but the timeskip to the last week of war is a terrible decision and all the scenes with the armistice negotiations and the cartoon junker general in charge at the front are from an entirely different movie. some good scenes scattered throughout but everything after the bit in the crater is rubbish basically

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh yeah i forgot that the french general is a total rear end in a top hat and the german negotiator is a good-faith dweeb lol

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

any portrayal of the French as jerks in WWI is correct

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Nonsense posted:

any portrayal of the French as jerks ... is correct

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1588621406895738881?t=iemneAcj23Y_mc51QXxsQw&s=19

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

loquacius posted:

Btw in case anyone thought I was being hyperbolic when I said JKR's fans are claiming she literally formed Daniel Radcliffe from clay

https://twitter.com/Sara_Rose_G/status/1588116877766795264

Literally just “and after all we’ve done for you!” but even more detached and patronizing.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I stopped watching after season 2, did it ever become coherent?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Nix Panicus posted:

I stopped watching after season 2, did it ever become coherent?

no it got so much worse

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i hated the twist of season one and didn't bother. what's the tldr of the plot arc after that

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

lol I didn't realize it was still running. Never bothered to check up on it beyond the first season, I liked it but felt like I got all I needed out of the story and there weren't any plot threads left that I cared enough to follow.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

i hated the twist of season one and didn't bother. what's the tldr of the plot arc after that

Maeve becomes Neo, they hang around samurai world for a while, then they get out of the parks and Dolores is infected with Delos or some poo poo and she wants to remake the real world into a world for the robots and Aaron Paul shows up and sucks up every goddamned scene he's in

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
it got pretty fuckin crazy and most of the show was spent in the cyberpunk real world that surrounded westworld and there was a bunch of really bad acting and writing and nothing made sense. then at one point the robots managed to mind-control all humans and they used human cities as grisly amusement parks for the robots. then there was a really really boring part where dolores becomes a mobile game developer.

there was a pretty cool detail where there's a crime app on your phone so that you can do crimes as part of the gig economy, which would be rad

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

The Westworld robots let out some mind control nanobots and took over the earth.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

no it got so much worse
I think in terms of coherence 3 and 4 are actually a step up, not that this means they're automatically better. All the post-S1 seasons have their own cool ideas, but also some real dumb writing that undercuts most of the "cool" moments as well as the characters.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I think in terms of coherence 3 and 4 are actually a step up, not that this means they're automatically better. All the post-S1 seasons have their own cool ideas, but also some real dumb writing that undercuts most of the "cool" moments as well as the characters.

Coherent maybe but it was some boring television.
This is a future where robots exist and every episode is Aaron Paul running around a tech corridor stripmall

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This was the same with Season One ngl.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

A Buttery Pastry posted:

is 4 better than 3? i didnt watch it (yet? who knows). i actually agree 3 was a lot better than 2, s2 was garbage. except for aaron paul, that guy sucks rear end and i hope hollywood stops trying to make him a thing

anyways for being their CRITICALLY ACCLAIMED FLAGSHIP that's kinda surprising they cancelled it. i guess running it into the ground caused no one to watch the newest season?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i think i mentioned this itt before but aaron paul was the worst part of the sad horse show which is saying something

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

i think i mentioned this itt before but aaron paul was the worst part of the sad horse show which is saying something

umm excuse me he's an appropriate avatar for asexual community representation. this is ace erasure

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lol wb.

They slso had the movie division get gutted.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aaron Paul has the acting range of Jason Newest

I don't know why he gets prestige gigs

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
He was good in Breaking Bad and he seems easy to work with, which I imagine goes a long way in Hollywood.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I don't know why he gets prestige gigs

he's a hot guy by virtue of other people saying he's a hot guy

the Pete Davidson effect

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

umm excuse me he's an appropriate avatar for asexual community representation. this is ace erasure

this actually made me mad lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bro Dad posted:

he's a hot guy by virtue of other people saying he's a hot guy

the Pete Davidson effect

Pete Davidson's also game to sleep with hexagenarian casting execs to land a gig