Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

BadOptics posted:

Watch this dumb poo poo show somehow turn out to be the 21st Century's Franz Ferdinand/Black Thursday.

There is going to be a line of people wanting to play the role of Gavrilo Princip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/dansinker/status/1588569616691105793

:discourse:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Just came in to post it, someone decided to go out a legend.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

:thunk: Things seem to be going "well" at Twitter post...well decimation would be incorrect as that was only 1/10th of a group.

https://twitter.com/rothschildmd/status/1588564108848549888?s=20&t=4xiJTY6vO2as6FVaHpgzCg

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Wonder what damage an employee with musk’s password could do to his wealth with a single tweet. Something like “announcing recall of all Teslas because of severe fire danger, park as far away from your house as possible and run!” Probably ding a few billion off his stock holdings.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Wonder what damage an employee with musk’s password could do to his wealth with a single tweet. Something like “announcing recall of all Teslas because of severe fire danger, park as far away from your house as possible and run!” Probably ding a few billion off his stock holdings.

Nah, just copy+paste his DMs out to the rest of the internet. I bet there's some *interesting* people he talks to.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The best part about this is that Tesla doesn't have a PR department so it'll probably take awhile to fix

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Its seeming more and more like operating a public forum is a real monkey paw wish.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Grip it and rip it posted:

Its seeming more and more like operating a public forum is a real monkey paw wish.

Everything about even being related to operating a public forum sucks lol

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Arrath posted:

Is twitter gonna go open some mines in South Africa or something?

Canary in the coal emerald mine

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

BadOptics posted:

Nah, just copy+paste his DMs out to the rest of the internet. I bet there's some *interesting* people he talks to.

True, I wish the guy who got into trump’s Twitter had done that.

Kinda surprised Musk hasn’t gotten busted for excessive replies to young women that he doesn’t realize are viewable to everyone, seems to be in the age range for that. Poor Andy Richter.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
If you are a member of the consultant class and you aren't drunk or high on a friday afternoon you are wrong.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/RealMarieK/status/1588569455508230145

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Poor Andy Richter.

Wait what? Is this a deep cut to some sketch or...?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Elon just had the BirdWatch addendum removed, it's now gone from the post :v:

https://twitter.com/Arr/status/1588021175493562372

always a reply guy and never a true poster

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Wait what? Is this a deep cut to some sketch or...?

From the buzz (this was rumors so might be wildly off base) he was a noted unsolicited reply guy to female comedians and figures like AOC, not obscene stuff but clearly checking their profiles way more than a married father over 50 should be doing, and it was assumed it contributed to his unexpected divorce.

Might be untrue but heard it from multiple sources, so always think of it when an older male Twitter user is in the news as they didn’t know their likes or follows were visible.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 4, 2022

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

Elon just had the BirdWatch addendum removed, it's now gone from the post :v:

https://twitter.com/Arr/status/1588021175493562372

always a reply guy and never a true poster

All right, I need to know now. What is Elon's SA username?

Edit for more news!

Iran is getting very spicy. A cleric was killed. I have seen other reports (unconfirmed) that there are more fatalities from the regime. There have been some pics/videos floating around implying that some check point guards were killed and a police vehicle overwhelmed and its occupants killed.

Article is text, no bodies/graphic pictures.

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/iranian-human-rights-lawyers-criticise-clerical-leaders-amid-unrest-2022-11-03

ASAPI fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 4, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

True Poster status is like humility, it's not up to the poster to decide.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

gently caress this (former) Federal inmate who literally did crimes against democracy:

https://twitter.com/DineshDSouza/status/1588535901382402048?s=20&t=dI-jXJPLqZWraqdD5W4TnA
https://twitter.com/DineshDSouza/status/1588539109081255937?s=20&t=cro01WQhzbSfoWLClBVz3Q

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ASAPI posted:

All right, I need to know now. What is Elon's SA username?

A running joke in yospos is that he was notorious troll/awful poster/still one of the top ignored people stymie. Stymie was a pain in the rear end in yospos to anyone who would reply to him. He absolutely despised computer touchers and would degrade them all the time while claiming he worked labor and knew what it was like to build things with his hands. He was such a pain in the rear end that just quoting stymie would net a probation.

Eventually poster johnny290 put two and two together that someone with the visceral contempt for computer touchers was exactly like most c-suite types and venture capitalists he has ever met. Calling stymie a wealthy vc caused him to melt down gloriously before finally being banned. He has never returned, and his reaction to being called out was very telling in a “hit dog will holler” kind of way. Since then the hivemind decided that musk was stymie. It probably wasn’t him, but it is still fun to imagine.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

A running joke in yospos is that he was notorious troll/awful poster/still one of the top ignored people stymie. Stymie was a pain in the rear end in yospos to anyone who would reply to him. He absolutely despised computer touchers and would degrade them all the time while claiming he worked labor and knew what it was like to build things with his hands. He was such a pain in the rear end that just quoting stymie would net a probation.

Eventually poster johnny290 put two and two together that someone with the visceral contempt for computer touchers was exactly like most c-suite types and venture capitalists he has ever met. Calling stymie a wealthy vc caused him to melt down gloriously before finally being banned. He has never returned, and his reaction to being called out was very telling in a “hit dog will holler” kind of way. Since then the hivemind decided that musk was stymie. It probably wasn’t him, but it is still fun to imagine.

Seeing as SA has lead to reddit, 4chan, @dril, and others it's a non-zero chance this would be another strange link between this forum and the wider internet.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/MikeIsaac/status/1588595778578436096?t=zbCpRoYjPA2d7qxTxxscDw&s=19

https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/status/1588598642554064896?t=Rzs3kjOGZxav5O7USn02Uw&s=19

I'd like to thank Elon for doing all this before an election so I have something really stupid to focus on besides that. poo poo's gonna be so hosed that actual Republicans are gonna be like THERE WAS ELECTION FRAUD, CATTURDtm SHOWED ME THE PROOF

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Hyrax Attack! posted:

From the buzz (this was rumors so might be wildly off base) he was a noted unsolicited reply guy to female comedians and figures like AOC, not obscene stuff but clearly checking their profiles way more than a married father over 50 should be doing, and it was assumed it contributed to his unexpected divorce.

Might be untrue but heard it from multiple sources, so always think of it when an older male Twitter user is in the news as they didn’t know their likes or follows were visible.

Oh. Those. I saw that myself.
It was like clockwork on some of the comedians I follow, I went 'cringe', but then he must obviously know them all personally, bc why else reply? And on e v e r y thing? Assumed it was some pandemic too-much-time behaviour.

I did not know that started years before lockdown. I did not know that was a parasocial relation. And that's how something that looked like a chatty neighbour suddenly turns into a local sex creep stalking all the women in a small mountain town.
Pretty sure I've seen it recently too.
Andy Richter. Huh.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Nov 4, 2022

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Soylent Pudding posted:

I said way back that if Musk has to own Twitter the best outcome is he manages to destroy Twitter so hard it takes Tesla out with it. That's feeling way more plausible than I really thought.

Tesla has actual productive assets (factories, etc). If Musk's liquidity is so trashed that he has to sell a controlling stake in Tesla to fund Twitter operations (just lol at being in that position), Tesla is almost certainly going to continue operating under new owners.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
They just gutted everything at Twitter without consideration for anything. Just holy poo poo, anything thats not impossible to rebuild is now extremely expensive.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/steinkobbe/status/1588616350250967040?s=46&t=o1XlyoEJCQCvUnOXu2gD9w

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

hypnophant posted:

fundamentally, this only happens because the bigger store is able to offer lower prices than two competing smaller stores could because of economies of scale. There isn’t any other advantage to being big; you keep out competitors by undercutting them on price. If you can raise your prices and still undercut any potential competitors, the price increases aren’t because of your profit margin; they’re because costs have gone up for everyone.

Kroger is buying Albertson's.

Edit: I did not realize there were FIVE MORE PAGES. Christ, you guys post fast.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 4, 2022

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

lightpole posted:

They just gutted everything at Twitter without consideration for anything. Just holy poo poo, anything thats not impossible to rebuild is now extremely expensive.

Oh weird how all these big companies with massive catalogues of user information are getting bought and gutted for profit.

I'm sure they're just whacky billionaires making bad bets and not intentionally trying to silence critics by using copyright law, then gutting their former competition make big tax write offs for their personal Super PACs that are always deeply conservative.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Nov 4, 2022

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Yeah while Elon is reply guying to hard-righties, this kind of thing is going on:

Elon: MEAN ADVERTISERS STIFLING FREE SPEECH
Ad Guy: Hey we want some brand safety/coherency/stability, and thanks for the call yesterday, but you just fired 75% of the moderation staff! What gives?
Elon: *blocks Ad Guy*

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/1588623274262646785

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

The other fun part of the Saga of Stymie is that for years he would claim that it was actually everyone else in YOSPOS who were actually uber-wealthy hypercapitalists and were all super healthy bodybuilders who were simultaneously somehow unable to understand how food portioning works (no, we didn't get it either).

He was exactly the kind of unhinged that Elon Musk would be if he were trying to fit in with a bunch of goons in a subforum for shitposting about computers and the tech industry. Even if he isn't *actually* Musk, he is in YOSPOS canon.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Wasabi the J posted:

Oh weird how all these big companies with massive catalogues of user information are getting bought and gutted for profit.

I'm sure they're just whacky billionaires making bad bets and not intentionally trying to silence critics by using copyright law, then gutting their former competition make big tax write offs for their personal Super PACs that are always deeply conservative.

I don't think he could burn $44 billion faster if he lit it on fire and there's cheaper ways to silence critics.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Kazinsal posted:

The other fun part of the Saga of Stymie is that for years he would claim that it was actually everyone else in YOSPOS who were actually uber-wealthy hypercapitalists and were all super healthy bodybuilders who were simultaneously somehow unable to understand how food portioning works (no, we didn't get it either).

He was exactly the kind of unhinged that Elon Musk would be if he were trying to fit in with a bunch of goons in a subforum for shitposting about computers and the tech industry. Even if he isn't *actually* Musk, he is in YOSPOS canon.

Musk is absolutely the sort of person who would be "in touch" with internet culture enough to know that SA exists through osmosis, and then pretend to slum it to feel involved with the older better parts of the dot com bubble.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

lightpole posted:

I don't think he could burn $44 billion faster if he lit it on fire and there's cheaper ways to silence critics.

I saw it described somewhere (probably SA) as him spending $44 billion on a flaming dumpster that contains $10 billion. Meanwhile he's trying to extinguish it with gasoline while writing "money printer" on the side like it's Calvin's transmogrifier box.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

M_Gargantua posted:

Musk is absolutely the sort of person who would be "in touch" with internet culture enough to know that SA exists through osmosis, and then pretend to slum it to feel involved with the older better parts of the dot com bubble.

I bet musk got helldumped and has never forgotten the shame

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Hahahahahaha

I'm not referencing anything specific so that I can quote myself every time the Twitter c-suite does an accidental absurdism.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

I saw it described somewhere (probably SA) as him spending $44 billion on a flaming dumpster that contains $10 billion. Meanwhile he's trying to extinguish it with gasoline while writing "money printer" on the side like it's Calvin's transmogrifier box.

Yeah that sounds about right. You don't decide to refocus from 90% of your revenue while simultaneously firing half your workforce that could implement anything required to do so and then tweet through it at any potential customers. None of this is coherent or sane so he's either playing chess at a level beyond the comprehension of us mere mortals or hes a complete idiot blinded by hubris.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

lightpole posted:

If it's not his money, it is possible someone who would like to see Ukrainian propaganda silenced could consider it money well spent.

Especially when both parties with motive have extensive experience with moving money digitally and manipulating social media platforms.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 4, 2022

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

If it's not his money, it is possible someone who would like to see Ukrainian propaganda silenced could consider it money well spent.

Especially when both parties with motive have extensive experience with moving money digitally and manipulating social media platforms.

Gee, I wonder how the Saudis, who just voted in favor of OPEC cutbacks that favor Putin, feel about Twitter, that they helped fund the purchase of...

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s incredible the advice he appears to be listening to is to take Twitter even further in the direction that’s making advertisers and users abandon the site

Yesssss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Wasabi the J posted:

A good part is his money and everything is so stupid Tesla stock is getting crushed, which he will have to sell if he wants Twitter to continue as a going concern, further driving down the price. Theres no genius here, only completely loving stupid. He bought at 54.20 and that 4.20 alone cost him hundreds of millions for a stupid meme.