Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Crankit posted:

At work I spend all day driving, after several hours I feel and can smell that im kinda greasy and deodorant doesn't seem to cover it, how do I solve this?

There are various types of body wipes you can buy that do a great job in making you feel refreshed and not quite so grungy. They're essential when I go camping. Don't get the ones that say they are flushable -- they tend to disintegrate while using them and you really shouldn't flush even the ones that say you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Crankit posted:

At work I spend all day driving, after several hours I feel and can smell that im kinda greasy and deodorant doesn't seem to cover it, how do I solve this?

It's not a cure-all (and maybe avoid the brand that got in poo poo for contaminating it with asbestos :v:), but a little bit of talcum in the shoes and armpits does wonders.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Baron Porkface posted:

Was Michael Jackson bigger than the Beatles?

I think the Beatles probably influenced more musicians than Jackson.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Can you clean a toilet by pouring some bleach/cleaner/whatever in the cistern and then flushing?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hyperlynx posted:

Can you clean a toilet by pouring some bleach/cleaner/whatever in the cistern and then flushing?

This doesn't seem like a good plan. I don't think the friction of the water running through the bowl is comparable to scrubbing it and I think you'd risk the bowl refilling with bleach?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

They sell those tabs that have bleach in them that you can drop in that cut down on the amount of cleaning you need to do, but so far nothing beats a scrubbing if you are already at the stage of wanting to clean the bowl.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Yeah, I'd still need to scrub the bowl. I was wondering if it might help to keep the pipes and stuff less gunky though.

I've just remembered something else I've been wondering about: given you can make a bomb out of ammonium nitrate fertilizer, are there any purpose-made explosives that inadvertently make good fertilizer?

From my extremely vague knowledge of chemistry explosives usually have lots of nitrogen atoms in them, and from my extremely vague knowledge of gardening plants like nitrogen...

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

You can get 30% dilute phosphoric acid that will get rid of the calcium build-up (brown ring and/or streaks). Empty the toilet, pour it on and give it time to react before rinsing. Should be able to get it any place that sells industrial cleaning supplies for janitors and the like.

It can release some extremely nasty fumes that will damage your lungs as well as generate hydrogen gas so use it very sparingly, keep the area extremely well ventilated, don't have open flame/sparks and maybe consider a mask. Disclaimer, I am not a chemist. Maybe being overly cautious but I don't want to give goons bad advice.

It works real good tho and it's pretty satisfying watching it foam when it contacts base materials like calcium.

E: checked the SDS, it doesn't need a fume hood or a gas mask for 30% dilute, just open windows and a fan.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 3, 2022

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Hyperlynx posted:

they also have these cistern attachments that run the toilet's refill stream through a bleach cartridge when the bowl is refilling

https://www.amazon.com/Fluidmaster-8300-Sparkle-Automatic-Cleaning/dp/B0002YOQXQ/

these are a bit better than bleach tablets you put in the cistern since bleach can potentially eat away at the cistern's flange over time

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Hyperlynx posted:

I've just remembered something else I've been wondering about : given you can make a bomb out of ammonium nitrate fertilizer, are there any purpose-made explosives that inadvertently make good fertilizer?

From my extremely vague knowledge of chemistry explosives usually have lots of nitrogen atoms in them, and from my extremely vague knowledge of gardening plants like nitrogen...

General, regular fertilizer is typically a mix of Nitrogen, Potassium and Phosphorus in different ratios, but Ammonium Nitrate fertilizer that you specified is about 46% Nitrogen

Gunpowder is about 75% potassium nitrate (Potassium, Nitrogen, Oxygen), 15% charcoal (carbon) and 10% sulfur, all of which can be good for some plants, but probably not in the concentrations and combinations you would typically find. Looking at potassium nitrate specifically as a fertilizer, that's only about 15% Nitrogen and 44% Potassium.

So gunpowder specifically, if you had something that really liked potassium and kind of liked sulfur, might add a little benefit, but it would be prohibitively expensive to use in place of regular fertilizer.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
A semi-related domestic terrorism adjacent question:

Mixing ammonia and bleach together creates a really dangerous chlorine gas, correct?

Is it 1 to 1, 2 to 1, 100 to 1? I'm helping my grandma clean out her house and she insists on not only having both of these in identical looking spray bottles but keeping them close at hand, and I want to be sure that if she sprays down with one and then grabs the other she's not going to kill herself out of stupidity.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Trace amounts, you don't use bleach to clean up a body because it mixes with the chlorine in the kidneys, and it creates hydrochloride acid, chlorine gas, and a few other nasty chemicals. It's a balanced equation, so them touching at all creates the gas. Now how much to be dangerous largely relies on meemaws lung capacity.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 3, 2022

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Instead of figuring out how much of it she could survive, you're better off attempting to eliminate the possibility that she mixes them.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
NaOCl → NaOH + HOCl
HOCl → HCl + O

First, bleach (NaOCl) reacts with hydrogen from ammonia (NH3) to form hydrochloric acid (HCl):

NaOCl → NaOH + HOCl
HOCl → HCl + O

Bleach reacts with hydrochloric acid to produce chlorine gas, salt, and water. Ammonia reacts with chlorine to make chloramine (NH2Cl), which is a gas.

NaOCl + 2HCl → Cl2 + NaCl + H2O
2NH3 + Cl2 → 2NH2Cl

Normally, chloramine is the main product from the mixture. However, if there is an excess of ammonia (which happens if there is less bleach than ammonia), liquid hydrazine (N2H4) may form.2 Hydrazine is toxic, plus the reaction is exothermic. Under the right conditions, the mixture can boil and spray hot, toxic liquids.

2NH3 + NaOCl → N2H4 + NaCl + H2O

https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiledocs/index.html?id=502&tid=89

https://www.osha.gov/sites/default/files/publications/OSHA_3569.pdf

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

CzarChasm posted:

A semi-related domestic terrorism adjacent question:

Mixing ammonia and bleach together creates a really dangerous chlorine gas, correct?

Is it 1 to 1, 2 to 1, 100 to 1? I'm helping my grandma clean out her house and she insists on not only having both of these in identical looking spray bottles but keeping them close at hand, and I want to be sure that if she sprays down with one and then grabs the other she's not going to kill herself out of stupidity.

The checmical formula works out that the first reaction product is chloramine, which is toxic and can cause irritation but probably won't kill you. If you add an excess of ammonia you'll get chlorine gas, which is the stuff they used in WW1 and will definitely kill you if you breathe too much of it.

If you're spraying on a surface and wiping before spraying the next chemical, chances are you aren't going to die, but honestly it's kind of a silly risk to take when you could just not do that instead.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Do not gently caress around with this.

e: Should I leave that up? I don't think explaining a chemical process is that bad, but like, I know reddit tells you you can't show people how to mix gasoline and styrofoam safely because it makes napalm.

e2: All that said, gases have only killed like, 53 kids younger than 6 in the last 8 years.

https://www.poison.org/poison-statistics-national

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 3, 2022

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
Basically everyone in the world has easy access to both of them and it's a good thing to know not to do, it's pretty much fine. The chemical formula isn't going to suddenly let someone make bleach and ammonia into a big weapon of terror.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Instead of figuring out how much of it she could survive, you're better off attempting to eliminate the possibility that she mixes them.

Not sure that’s why he’s asking.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yes, but calculating granny's LD50 for chlorine gas is very funny.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Why have I not been able to buy hard candy lately? Like, months. I can’t find Runts, Spree, Gobstoppers… drat near none of my favorite candy. There’s tons of gummy and chocolate candy on the shelves.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
What is the origin of the trope of the wise man sitting on top of a mountain and people making the difficult climb to hear his wisdom?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Crankit posted:

Occasionally when you stop to go to the bathroom wash your hands up to your elbows (if you wear short sleeves) and give your face and neck a quick rinse in the sink. You might want to slap on some facial moisturizer after this if your skin tightens up.

Edit: and try to eat somewhat healthy, balanced meals.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Is the whole coke cut with fentanyl poo poo media hype or actually a problem in the USA (doesn't apply to Australia because our coke doesn't even contain coke so you know). How does this go with crack, is fentanyl able to be freebased too?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Inceltown posted:

Is the whole coke cut with fentanyl poo poo media hype or actually a problem in the USA (doesn't apply to Australia because our coke doesn't even contain coke so you know). How does this go with crack, is fentanyl able to be freebased too?

My brothers girlfriend says they they get at least two fent ODs a night at her ER. So it is something that is happening.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Zil posted:

My brothers girlfriend says they they get at least two fent ODs a night at her ER. So it is something that is happening.

That likely isn’t from coke laced fent but heroin with fent in it or something like that. Most opiate ODs are not because of accidental ingestion of opiates. They OD because they accidentally took too much.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mister Kingdom posted:

What is the origin of the trope of the wise man sitting on top of a mountain and people making the difficult climb to hear his wisdom?

In western tradition it’s just one variation on religious hermits, which date back to approximately the 4th century.

As one example https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Or_of_Nitria

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
The reason you would lace heroin with fentanyl is because they're both opiods, and fentanyl is a synthetic opiod that's like 100x stronger than heroin, meaning you can easily increase the potency of your heroin using the cheaper synthetic fentanyl. Obviously this leads to a huge increase in overdoses because people don't know how much to take if they don't know the strength of the stuff they're using.

Coke is basically the opposite of an opiod, there's not much reason to put fentanyl in it unless it's law enforcement doing it to get more funding and support for the war on drugs or something. That's not to say that I know for sure that it's not happening, but it doesn't sound very likely to me.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There's a lot of dumb myths surrounding fentanyl but it is legitimately cheaper to "adulterate" other opiates with fentanyl. There's statistics to back up it's increasing use in Vancouver not sure how other areas are faring. That's part of the reason why they have started up free injection clinics that test the drugs beforehand. Addicts can bring in their heroin or whatevs and find out if it's spiked with anything harmful.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

kalel posted:

yes the British pronunciation of ma'am sounds like Mom to the English ear. and In Skyfall specifically I think they're playing with that ambiguity on purpose

...really?! Sorry, to drag this up I just think it's fascinating, and it's clearly one of those things where for me it's a total blind spot. By which I mean, it has always been utterly transparent to me when someone is saying ma'am or mum to my English ear, and the idea that they'd be playing up the ambiguity seems like you're looking for something that isn't there, but! You know, my experience isn't the de facto truth. I guess rather than dragging it up here where it's pretty much done and dusted, I should go find it elsewhere.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I remember in the Redwall series of books it was often written as "marm" (with very phonetic spellings for a lot of dialogue). I had no idea what word was being referred to, or what the British pronunciation of ma'am was, until a year or two ago

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Hyperlynx posted:

I remember in the Redwall series of books it was often written as "marm" (with very phonetic spellings for a lot of dialogue). I had no idea what word was being referred to, or what the British pronunciation of ma'am was, until a year or two ago

British English is I believe largely non-rhotic, which means they don't pronounce the "r" sound the way americans do in a lot of places, in particular at the end of words. I think a Brit would pronounce "marm" like an american would say "maam". Is this correct?

This is similar to something I see in British novels, where a character would stammer and say "...er" or "...erm", which always baffled me until I realized the non-rhoticity, so that "er" = "uh" and "erm" = "um". I hope this is correct.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
"Ma'am as in farm, not mam as in ham"

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
See also how they say “Lady Gaga”

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I remember a couple of years ago there was a British show about a bodyguard or whatever employed by a somewhat older woman, and people were confused because he kept calling her mum and thought he was protecting his mother, because they had an increasingly personal relationship. Then they hooked up and and a lot of people took to twitter to express either their confusion or their disgust, thinking it was intentional incest, lmao.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So are they actually saying “ma’am’s the word” and if so, why does that mean they’ll keep a secret?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

So are they actually saying “ma’am’s the word” and if so, why does that mean they’ll keep a secret?

It’s actually unrelated to modern words for mother or madame! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mum%27s_the_word

Basically “mum” is an old English word that means silent.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Does this have anything to do with the fall flowers in my garden

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

no, mum is just short for chrysanthemum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysanthemum

quote:

Chrysanthemums, sometimes called mums or chrysanths

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

But they never say anything???? Suspicious. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Perhaps it's a reference to the 1999 cinematic masterpiece starring Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz