Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I hope they don't go for the obvious trope and just have him stay retired throughout the game, people don't always have a constant decline in health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

By popular demand posted:

I hope they don't go for the obvious trope and just have him stay retired throughout the game, people don't always have a constant decline in health.

I would go for a more uplifting case where he serves as a mentor and perhaps hint system through the game and tells the hero that he knows that the house will be in good hands. Again, I don't at all expect this to happen. These things tend strongly to melodrama.

It's very hard to believe disease in fantasy settings where people can raise the dead with a wave of the hand.

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost

marshmallow creep posted:

Huh, either i couldn't make that out through FFT's translation, or I forgot it.

You get it after a few replays and some notes for recollection, like how you figure out Sephiroth's modus operandi in FF7.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGqIkeJCzAM

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

As it turns out he keeps on living, he slowly become senile and the cast and player alike have to face his depressing degradation.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

OOrochi posted:

You're abdicating your position? Surprising news comes in pairs, I see.

of course news comes in twos, definitely not like some different slightly larger number like three that is just coincidentally a number that this game leans on... definitely two surprises at a time, nothing more.

Torrannor posted:

Daddy is going to die in like the next few chapters, isn't he? :ohdear:

No worries, surprises come in twos, he's safe unless some other fourth person comes along and then they die.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!

JustJeff88 posted:

Is 'salt' in the context some kind of stand-in for something else, like bananas for opium in FFL2, and/or is there some double meaning here that I am missing? A lot seems to be being made of something fairly mundane. I know that salt was hugely important as a preservative in medieval~ish times, but it still seems to be overplayed so far. Is it some kind of oblique analogy to saltpeter/gunpowder?

Along with what everyone else has said, the word "salary" literally comes from the Latin word "salarium," which meant salt-money/allowance for purchasing salt. We also have the phrase "worth one's salt" in English exactly because salt used to be that important.

The ability to cure and store meat for the winter is no joke in the context of a pre-industrial society. The ability to cure meat in general is insanely crucial for anyone living in a humid, temperate climate, because unlike those living in an extremely cold climate where you can just freeze your stuff or a hot, arid climate where you can leave it out to dry in the sun, you have to either cure it immediately or risk spoilage within hours. If anything, this game is underplaying just how much more the Kingdom of Glenbrook would need salt than the other two.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

JustJeff88 posted:

I would go for a more uplifting case where he serves as a mentor and perhaps hint system through the game and tells the hero that he knows that the house will be in good hands. Again, I don't at all expect this to happen. These things tend strongly to melodrama.

It's very hard to believe disease in fantasy settings where people can raise the dead with a wave of the hand.

We actually don't know if the dead can be resurrected or any more typical JRPG tropes apply. It's not uncommon in SRPGs, for example, for resurrection to be extremely rare (look at Fire Emblem where you might get one revive skill in the entire game, and it comes extremely late, and may or may not have legendary implications).

SRPGs tend to play more towards the gritty side of fantasy settings by necessity of their story, and the mechanics tend to be better at supporting that because incoming damage is more "controllable", so to speak.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Or just stepping down the revive from "bringing back the dead" to "heal the severe injuries that person got right before they decided that their goose was cooked if they stayed and got out". You could make it an explicit morale system so that it's not death it's fleeing the really bad encounter and that instead of "rez on cd 20 sec" it's some bard's song or war horn rekindling their spirits.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
Not to mention frequently "death" in game play is more equatable to "critically injured and unable to keep fighting" unless explicitly stated otherwise.

But it theres still poisons that can quickly disable someone, so if magic can heal that why can't it cure tuberculosis or any other wasting diseases that are so prevalent in fantasy?

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

IthilionTheBrave posted:

Not to mention frequently "death" in game play is more equatable to "critically injured and unable to keep fighting" unless explicitly stated otherwise.

But it theres still poisons that can quickly disable someone, so if magic can heal that why can't it cure tuberculosis or any other wasting diseases that are so prevalent in fantasy?

Different fields of study, different subject matters known, etc. Poison antidotes tend to get waived off in terms of magic, so we don't actually know what would go into a spell that would cure poison, but a very simple explanation could be that it's much easier to study a poison you can extract from a known substance than something like a virus that is unknown to society.

Also, you can change the implication around a bit to make it make more sense. Rather than relating poison to disease as both non-injurious methods of death, relate poison more as a weapon of war or assassination, rather than a disease's natural disaster. During wartime, it used to be far more common to die to disease than war-time injuries; you can relate poison as a somewhat similar idea to war-time injuries.

Not only this, but we don't actually know what "poison" is in JRPGs, beyond something that just does damage over time (is it venom? Naturally poisonous substances like arsenic? Something entirely arcane in nature?), so it's just as easy to handwave as something that is easy to apply, but easy to cure. Poison is a pretty wide-spanning term and it's often up to the individual subfield to define it more specifically for their applications, so something that is "poison" may not be something that people intuitively think of in the modern sense anyway (the first definition of poison in 1200 was just "a deadly potion or substance" and that's it. It could just as likely be nutmegging someone to death than something we intuitively consider a poison.).

AncientSpark fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 1, 2022

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.
Update 6: Banquet Night

Welcome back! Like I said last time, we’ll be starting this update with a side story between the Glenbrook royals

Please, Sister. You weep and wail like a common girl. Show some composure. Father has a kingdom to rule—a kingdom engaged in a historic endeavor. He has more important duties than to pamper a spoiled child.
I... Yes, of course, Brother.
You speak as if Father's "duties" include anything more than licking the boots of these dignitaries.

It is inconceivable he cannot spare the time to break bread with his daughter.
You speak out of insolence and ignorance, Roland.
I speak only the truth. He leaves all the cumbersome tasks to the Wolfforts and Minister Patriatte...
A king's word is to be obeyed.
And what of his subjects? Do they exist simply to bring him glory? To take the blame for his failures?
They are to serve as he sees fit.
...The hell they are.
Believe as you wish. Speaking of his subjects. it appears lordship of House Wolffort will be passed down to young Serenoa.
What!?
How fortunate for you, to have a friend in the new lord. Best not to take loyalty for granted, however. House Wolffort is obedient enough for now, but that can change as quickly as the wind. Use them well when you can. but be ready to bring down your fist if they dare to rise above their station.

Do you really think to lead with such a soft heart!? You are not fit to wear the royal Signet!
Stop this fighting at once! You frighten me!
...Enough of this.
Where are you going. Brother?
To train with Ser Maxwell. I would clear my head. There is a tourney on the morrow, after all.

Roland runs off as Frani shakes his head and the scene fades out.

Brother…

We follow Roland to the bridge, where he is sparring with a masked spearman.

You've always been able to see through me.
It's no great feat. Your heart lies ever on your sleeve.
Do I hear disapproval in your voice?
Not exactly, my prince. It can be a weakness, yes, but it can also be your strength. After all, sometimes a direct strike is most effective at piercing a formidable defense.
I will take those words to heart, Ser Maxwell. Thank you for today.
The pleasure was mine. I expect a good fight from you tomorrow—in the final match, no doubt.
I take the field with House Wolffort. Together, I have no doubt we can emerge triumphant.
Ah, that would explain your improvement. Young Serenoa is a worthy training partner. - Even so, I have no doubt you've held your own against him. Tomorrow you shall show the realm what I already know: that you are a warrior worthy of your family‘s legacy.
Ser Maxwell, I...

Surely you jest, Your Highness. Your father is a great king—and an even greater man. It is an honor to serve him as I do.

Roland just hangs his head for a second.

Apologies... l forget myself. I must've taken quite a blow. Anyhow, I suppose I should rest till the morrow. Be well, Ser Maxwell.

Roland walks off, stops for a brief moment, and then continues away.

It cannot be easy being the youngest prince. To have others expect nothing from you, yet still shake their heads in disapproval. But you can rise above this, my prince. Seize your chance. and lay everyone's doubts to rest once and for all...

After that, we’ll return to Castle Wolffort and see the ending of the banquet.

You've landed quite the catch. Frederica. He is a good man—I can see it in his eyes.

Where Dragan is hammered.

You are too kind, Lord Dragan.
And humble as well! Are you impressed as I, Frederica?
I can tell that your heart is pure and gentle, milord.
Lady Frederica...
Forgive me if I caused offense. I thought only to return your sincerity in kind.
No apologies are needed. I am... happy to meet your approval.
I— Thank you, my lord.

Forgive my curiosity. What sort of life did Lady Frederica lead in Aesfrost?
….
Her life? Truth be told, my dear Serenoa, not a pleasant one. Those of Rosellan blood are looked down upon in Aesfrost—even if they are the daughter of the archduke's concubine. Gustadolph's full siblings are the worst of the lot. They have not a shred of human compassion between them. They cruelly bully the girl endlessly, regardless of time or place.
Is this…?
True? Of course it is! I know Frederica's suffering all too well. My own father lived ever in the shadow of his elder brother—the former archduke. Our house, too, is met with sneers by those who consider themselves our betters. But no more! I shall show all those simpering tops that it is not birth that makes greatness, but deeds! And so I did my due research at the Archives. that my grand invention shall blast our way forward! Ahaha!
Dragan, please. I believe you've had enough to drink.
Ahahaha! You can hardly blame me for availing myself of Glenbrook's finest libations, brought by traders from the realm over! Each cask more exotic than the last! Why, to not partake would be an affront to our newfound allies!

Dragan chugs another glass.

Just make sure your head is clear for tomorrow. Or have you forgotten you're meant to be representing your nation?
Ah, yes. A...a ceremony to usher in a new age of harmony and prosperity. I am too young to have known the war, so I...I see our three nations joining hands more as a matter of expedience. But what of you, my kin—to—be? How do you see our grand cooperative venture?

We get another choice. For this one, regardless of my playthrough, I always pick the middle option. The others just always seem too naïve to me.

It will benefit all nations involved. I see nothing wrong with that.
Indeed... I didn't know you had such a mercantile mind, Serenoa.
Coin drives the hearts of men and nations alike. I suspect all parties wouldn't be so eager to join hands if not for the promise of profit. And when we're all able to fill our coffers, perhaps we can finally let go of old grudges.
A sensible perspective. I didn't know you had such a practical mind. In any event. it is always good to have another...perspective...on matters.

Dragan starts pacing back and forth. He swaps directions almost every sentence.

As always, it is the young who must bear the burden of building the future. Old shoulders are frail: old minds, stubborn.

He also continues drinking.

Whatever lies in our future, those who make it will mark their names in history. And mine...mine will be writ large for all to see! And I would write yours next to it, my dear cousin! Pray come visit me at the mines once operations are underway, and I...I shall—

Dragan sways and falls to his knees.

Dragan? Are you quite all right?
Worry not, Frederica! I'm just a bit—hic—tipsy! Perhaps I should just lie...

Dragan starts snoring, very loudly.

It would seem Lord Dragan has turned in for the night.
Quite the passionate fellow, isn't he?
He's never been one to hide his ambition, ever since we were little. Neither does he hide his disapproval of my brother and trueborn siblings...
...Feelings which you share?
I grant it would be satisfying to see the sneers of those who look down on me wiped from their faces.

As that sentence goes on, Frederica’s VA does a great job at selling her excitement for the idea.

But I also agree with Lord Symon. That we must set our gazes to the future. Though I know not yet how I might best serve in this new age...l would do what I can.
We are of the same mind in that regard, my lady. Let us ease the weight of each other's burdens.

Of course, my—Frederica. Pray call me Serenoa, as well.

Certainly...Serenoa. Let us take care not to wake him, lest he resume his prattle...

As they take care of Lord Dragan, we’ll transition over to a new area with Benedict in the castle cemetery.

sigh

Soon, Lord Symon joins him.

...Benedict. I thought I might find you here.
My lord.

Did you tell her? That Serenoa would soon be taking over as lord of our house?
Forgive me, my lord. I did not think to—
Save your apologies, Benedict. Doubtless she was overjoyed to hear it from you. Destra always did trust you above all her advisors. As do I. For thirty years, you have served my house better than I ever could have asked for.
You honor me, my lord.
"My lord." Ahahaha! I suspect this will be the last night I will hear those—

There’s another freeze frame and heartbeat, before Lord Symon collapses.

Gah! Uggghhh…

Do not bother, Benedict. It will avail me not... You know as well as I how my heart now fails me...
My lord...
...And so I entrust Serenoa to you. For our house, pray heed this old man's final order.
Certainly. I will live to serve your son, until I breathe my last.
Did you hear that. Destra? Our boy is in good hands. My old. dear friend. Long have we stood together...

The scene fades out, and we will end this update here.

OOrochi fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 1, 2022

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

AncientSpark posted:

Different fields of study, different subject matters known, etc. Poison antidotes tend to get waived off in terms of magic, so we don't actually know what would go into a spell that would cure poison, but a very simple explanation could be that it's much easier to study a poison you can extract from a known substance than something like a virus that is unknown to society.

Also, you can change the implication around a bit to make it make more sense. Rather than relating poison to disease as both non-injurious methods of death, relate poison more as a weapon of war or assassination, rather than a disease's natural disaster. During wartime, it used to be far more common to die to disease than war-time injuries; you can relate poison as a somewhat similar idea to war-time injuries.

Not only this, but we don't actually know what "poison" is in JRPGs, beyond something that just does damage over time (is it venom? Naturally poisonous substances like arsenic? Something entirely arcane in nature?), so it's just as easy to handwave as something that is easy to apply, but easy to cure. Poison is a pretty wide-spanning term and it's often up to the individual subfield to define it more specifically for their applications, so something that is "poison" may not be something that people intuitively think of in the modern sense anyway (the first definition of poison in 1200 was just "a deadly potion or substance" and that's it. It could just as likely be nutmegging someone to death than something we intuitively consider a poison.).

Very well thought out! It was mostly a venture to provide a counterpoint to the "why not just cast Raise/Cure Disease" argument regarding illnesses in video games. The mages not knowing what they're trying to remove with their magic is a solid point to counter it. In that line of thinking the best you can do with healing magic is try to treat symptoms, rather than the cause.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Dragan drunk-ranting about OLD PEOPLE and their OLD MINDS is an amazing scene.

Looks like you’ve got an incorrect portrait on the “royal signet” line.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I was not expecting this side of Dragan and I think I like him.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Is it just me or are the images not loading.

Edit: Nevermind it suddenly works now.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

And so goes the good lord Simon, as melodramatic as predicted.
Prince Frani BTW seems like the sort who vastly overestimates their own intellect, why the gently caress would you bluntly say to your brother to be suspicious of his best friends?!
Contrast with Simon's moment of Realpolitik, spoken in private and of things which are of more immediate concern.

Also Dragan is entirely correct.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
In the upcoming Tactics Ogre game, they are making quite a point that the game will have voice acting for the first time. I actually rather prefer to read than listen. This game is multilingual as is TO for the first time (PSP was English & Japanese only), but I presume that voice acting will only be in English and maybe JP.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Voice acting can be great for plot writing as every single line of dialogue now has a significant cost attached, which encourages tighter writing and editing.
OTOH this also restricts the sheer volume of text used so if you want to basically read a full novel inside your game (which some RPGs definitely do) you may be disappointed.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

Update 7: Abdication

Welcome back! Now that the banquet has finished, we’ll start this update by welcoming the new Lord Wolffort, before heading over to Castle Whiteholm for the rest of the festivities.

I expect you to serve him as dutifully as you served me.
Of course, Lord Symon.
Aye, milord! Our undyin‘ loyalty to House Wolffort!
My son, listen well. A lord's judgment shapes the fates of his kin and subjects alike. Responsibility for their well—being now falls on your shoulders. You must lead them well.
Yes, Father. I shall keep those words close to my heart.

Serenoa steps forward to address the crowd.

As lord of House Wolffort, it is my duty to consider the best course from every perspective afforded me. I shirk not from this responsibility. At the same time, I would be a fool to not seek guidance from those more traveled than I. For my house and my people, I trust I can rely on you.
Well spoken. my son. I daresay you are more than ready to receive this...
The Scales of Conviction. A holy relic, said to be blessed by the deities of old.

We’re shown a closeup of the scale.

It was gifted to our family by the king of Glenbrook. From this day on, I entrust it to you. However, it is of little use without these.

Symon hands Serenoa something with a clinking sound.

Coins? Seven of them...
Tokens of conviction, we call them. Give one each to only your most trusted retainers and allies. They will guide you when the path is darkest. Their words will illuminate the pitfalls ahead. Heed well the advice of your friends and subjects, and choose your steps carefully. Such has been the way of our house. and such you must see it always shall be.
I will, Father. I shall treasure these gifts, and make wise use of them in times of need.
Very good. Now do your duty, my son.

There is a brief moment of silence.

Wolffort Soldiers: For House Wolffort!

But before any heroic deeds can occur, Serenoa, Frederica, and Benedict meet with King Regna.

So Lord Symon will step down. I suppose the time comes for us all to pass on the torch eventually... What wisdom has your father bestowed upon you?

He has told me what it means to be lord of a house.
...Very good.

Yes, Your Majesty. I shall not disappoint.

King Regna simply nods before walking off.

Frederica and Serenoa share a brief glance between themselves.

Before a loud thud comes from offscreen.

I dare you to say that again, Thalas!

The camera pans over to the west to find the Aesfrosti delegates enjoying each other’s company.

I am the prime minister of Aesfrost. I and I alone am fit to represent our nation. Go push your papers in the shadows like the minor lordling's son you are.
You would shame me!? You, who would be nothing if not for your high birth! Your ineptitude is mocked by noble and commoner alike!

Thalas takes a hold of Dragan’s collar.

While our party joins in.

You both forget yourselves!
Frederica!
If you must bray at each other, then do so back home. Your bickering will bring shame upon our nation.
Such strong words, Sister… Do you think you're above us now that you're being wed to mighty House Wolffort?
Please, Erika...
My apologies, but the ceremony will begin soon. I ask the delegates of each nation to make their preparations.
...And you must be Serenoa Wolffort. Well. I suppose we should bother the happy couple no longer. And well done, Frederica. I see you have inherited your mother's wiles. ...She always did have a way with men.
Too bad you also inherited her hair. That sickly pink makes me want to retch...

The siblings stomp off.

Pray forgive my cousins, Lord Serenoa. And forgive me if I was out of line...
Those two. They were...?
Thalas and Erika Aesfrost. Full brother and sister to Archduke Gustadolph. ...And my half-siblings.
...I see. Well, I hope that we can all come together for the sake of our grand endeavor.

And on that pretty milquetoast comment, the scene fades back to the world map.

On the world map, there’s nothing to do but head back into the castle. However, putting this with the entirety of the exploration section made the update just unreasonably long. So instead, and because we’re going to actually have another battle soon, we’re going to have a more in-depth overview of some of our characters.

Character Overview: Serenoa and Benedict

So, before we get into any specific character, we need to go over how abilities are gained in general. Every unit starts with one ability, and will gain three more at varying intervals until they reach level 10. Once a unit has reached level 10, it become eligible for a class promotion. These can be done at a special shop called the Sundry Shop in the encampment.

To promote a unit, they need to be at or above level 10, and you need to spend a relatively rare medal to upgrade them. Once you do, they will get some slight stat boosts, increase their max TP by one, and unlock some (usually but not always two) more abilities to learn by leveling up. All units can be promoted twice, once at 10 and once at 20, and the second promotion does the same thing, with more stats, another TP boost, and even more level up abilities.

That’s not the only way to acquire abilities, though. In addition to the class promotions at the Sundry Shop, all characters can get their weapons upgraded at the Smithy in the encampment. Here, we can spend materials from spoils drops to get specific upgrades for a unit. There are three tiers here, the 2nd and 3rd of which need to be unlocked by spending a rare material. Generally, the options are simply stat boosts, but every unit has at least one ability upgrade, and one ultimate ability on the 3rd level. They can be really expensive to reach, but are usually quite powerful.

Serenoa

As befits the protagonist of the game, we will start off with Serenoa. Stats-wise, he is a classic jack-of-all-trades, with slightly above average stats in everything but magic defense. He’s bulky enough to be a solid front liner, able to both deal damage and support his allies.

Like his stats, Serenoa’s abilities are pretty flexible. His passives are all solid boosts that really promote positioning him well. They synergize especially well with Hawk Dive, which can be upgraded to have a range of 3 squares. With that range, you can hit essentially whoever you want while taking advantage of his passives. Delaying Strike is another standout, since it can be spammed to effectively take one enemy unit of the fight, assuming they’re not significantly faster than Serenoa.

His remaining abilities are a bit more situational. Sweeping Slash gives him AOE damage, but it can be difficult to get enemies lined up in the correct way to hit them. Shielding Stance can be used to protect a specific unit, but in my experience you have a lot more effective ways to do that with other characters instead of Serenoa. Finally, Under Conviction’s Banner can be very powerful. However, the 2 tile area is centered on Serenoa, and it can be difficult to hit more than 4 people at any time other than the beginning of a fight. That said, it can be a great bit of gas to get all of your other characters running in battles that start quickly.

Overall, Serenoa is a very solid unit that will have at least something to do, no matter what the situation is. He won’t necessarily be the best at anything, but you’ll never be annoyed with using him either.

Benedict

Benedict is a support unit through and through. His offensive stats are pretty negligible, but he’s decently fast and surprisingly bulky. He won’t match up with Erador physically, but Benedict will probably be the second tankiest unit we’ll have for a good while, especially against magic.

Fitting with his stats, Benedict does not have a single offensive ability. However, the abilities he does have are hugely impactful. The first two buffs are very significant (though I haven’t been able to find a formula for their exact impact), especially Bulwark for keeping tanks alive. Bird of Prey is a good bit more situational, but can be absolutely key on some incredibly vertical maps.

However, the real stars of the show are Benedict’s later abilities. Now..! and Twofold Turn are incredibly useful for manipulating the turn order and providing flexibility. They’re expensive, but can really change the course of a battle.

Finally, there is Dragon Shield. Like other ultimate abilities, it is very expensive. But I am not lying when I said “invincibility”. Anyone in the plus shaped AOE just cannot be harmed in any way until the end of their next turn. This lets you do some absolutely hilarious things like baiting the entire enemy army when combined with skills like Erador’s provoke. It’s too expensive to spam in any way, but is an absolute game changer for some of the end-game fights on hard.

Overall, Benedict is one of my favorite characters to use because he opens up so many options for your other characters, while still being quite useful himself.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I don't like those Joffrey Baratheon brother and sister, they will definitely be trouble. I bet we'll all cheer when they get their purple wedding.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

And so goes the good lord Simon, as melodramatic as predicted.

It seems he lived.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

That's just what it seems, in truth his body has been reanimated and possessed by the demon lord Faknam who even now is making moves to kill OP and take control over this entire LP! And after that the forums!
So I can see how you'd be confused.
:smuggo:

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
I believe Bulwark and Raging Beast give give flat increases to the stats they boost so they are very handy in the early game but fall off later as the boosts get relatively smaller as stats increase. As a result I find that Benedict falls off a little bit in the mid game as Now and Twofold Turn aren't enough on their own to justify bringing him. As you mentioned, Dragon Shield is a game changing ability for him. A slight correction on it's effect, Dragon Shield blocks one instance of damage rather than making the affected characters invincible for their entire turn. In TS turn efficiency is so important that trading one of Benedict's turns to potentially cancel out 5 enemy actions is incredibly powerful. It's also possible to waste the shield in a variety of bone headed ways which I've done on several occasions and is always kind of funny.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

dude789 posted:

I believe Bulwark and Raging Beast give give flat increases to the stats they boost so they are very handy in the early game but fall off later as the boosts get relatively smaller as stats increase. As a result I find that Benedict falls off a little bit in the mid game as Now and Twofold Turn aren't enough on their own to justify bringing him. As you mentioned, Dragon Shield is a game changing ability for him. A slight correction on it's effect, Dragon Shield blocks one instance of damage rather than making the affected characters invincible for their entire turn. In TS turn efficiency is so important that trading one of Benedict's turns to potentially cancel out 5 enemy actions is incredibly powerful. It's also possible to waste the shield in a variety of bone headed ways which I've done on several occasions and is always kind of funny.

I felt the same way. Benedict kinda isn't as useful in the midgame, but later on if you set him up to open every fight with Dragon Shield he skyrockets back to the top. It's great for getting squishy mages just a liiiiiiitle further up to smite some baddies

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
In the midgame you want to pair Benedict with a character we'll see later. I'm largely of the opinion that if you do this properly he just doesn't fall off.

Double turns have incredible power on very specific characters.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm now coming up with the scenarios in which Symone dies. Will the final match of the tournament, between our heroes and those awful siblings of Frederica be interrupted by the news of Symone's assassination?

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

It can't be overstated just how much it sucked to be a bastard-born child of nobility in medieval times, regardless of whether you were legitimized by your sire or not. The fact that Frederica was able to marry this well at all is a miracle, especially considering how much the "legitimate" heirs resent her. In fact, it would be surprising if she hasn't had at least one or two assassination attempts on her before.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Omniphile posted:

It can't be overstated just how much it sucked to be a bastard-born child of nobility in medieval times, regardless of whether you were legitimized by your sire or not. The fact that Frederica was able to marry this well at all is a miracle, especially considering how much the "legitimate" heirs resent her. In fact, it would be surprising if she hasn't had at least one or two assassination attempts on her before.

Well these two are not heirs they are siblings to the current ruler, and from Frederica's introduction younger than her.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Omniphile posted:

As they put it, she's expendable. poo poo is obviously about to go down, or else there wouldn't be a game, and the legitimate heirs likely know it.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well these two are not heirs they are siblings to the current ruler, and from Frederica's introduction younger than her.

The siblings to a current ruler were generally the next in line until the current ruler had children, though, much to the general misfortune of the continent if said current ruler dies sometime in the next several chapters. I would imagine that Frederica would be lower in the succession due entirely to the circumstances of her birth, if she's even in the succession at all.

Cythereal posted:

As they put it, she's expendable. poo poo is obviously about to go down, or else there wouldn't be a game, and the legitimate heirs likely know it.

Basically, yeah. On the one hand, she's being used as an obvious pawn. On the other hand, she's at least in the same boat as her legitimately-born husband who is now an official duke, they're at least close in age (none of this being married off to an old guy twice to three times her age thing) and there is a sense of mutual respect already. She and Serenoa are in the frying pan, but at least they're able to cooperate in the face of these probably soon to be terrible circumstances.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm putting a pin here because there's just so much cool stuff to talk about when it comes to Frederica's position and family but we just don't know enough about them yet.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Natural 20 posted:

I'm putting a pin here because there's just so much cool stuff to talk about when it comes to Frederica's position and family but we just don't know enough about them yet.

The only thing any bio under either of those two needs to say is "is a dick". Unless the bio is under both of them in which case it needs to say "are dicks"

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The only thing any bio under either of those two needs to say is "is a dick". Unless the bio is under both of them in which case it needs to say "are dicks"

It's a fantasy RPG and they're rich aristocrats not controlled by the player. We knew this before we even met them for the first time.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

JustJeff88 posted:

It's a fantasy RPG and they're rich aristocrats not controlled by the player. We knew this before we even met them for the first time.

I have been sitting here for longer than I care to say trying to come up with a witty reply to prove good NPC aristocrats are fairly common and I have created an extensive list.

-Killgore from Breath of Fire II
-Balbanes from Final Fantasy Tactics

Between them they have almost 3 whole minutes of screentime! Checkmate

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

TBF that is about the rate the good aristos appeared in real history.
Turns out that giving political power to some failson usually doesn't work for the benefit of the common people.:shrug:

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I have been sitting here for longer than I care to say trying to come up with a witty reply to prove good NPC aristocrats are fairly common and I have created an extensive list.

-Killgore from Breath of Fire II
-Balbanes from Final Fantasy Tactics

Between them they have almost 3 whole minutes of screentime! Checkmate

Never played BoF, but I remember Balbanes - top bloke.

raifield
Feb 21, 2005
The character art really doesn't leave any doubts as to who the main antagonists are going to be. This is Disney-tier villain design.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

raifield posted:

The character art really doesn't leave any doubts as to who the main antagonists are going to be. This is Disney-tier villain design.

now I want Disney-tier villain songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

dude789 posted:

As you mentioned, Dragon Shield is a game changing ability for him. A slight correction on it's effect, Dragon Shield blocks one instance of damage rather than making the affected characters invincible for their entire turn.

Oh you are absolutely right, I was mixing it with Erador's ultimate in my head. Thanks for the catch!