Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Danann posted:

It's that wargame unit that everyone hates but has to use anyways.

What are the odds on M47 Dragons being sent to Ukraine.

hey you can also use rolands and crotales if you play france or germany

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Majorian posted:

Yeah, I've never figured out what Poland would hypothetically get out of annexing the western part of Ukraine in the first place.

the world's numero uno Waffen SS parade organizers, suck it Latvia

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Xaris posted:

not just funding, america destroyed peace deals back in feb because they wanted more foreverwar

Ukraine decides when they want peace, okay?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

lmfao elon ftw

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

sum posted:

It's hilarious that the US has literally thousands of surplus Bradleys and Abramses just sitting around in the desert and they're scraping the bottom of the barrel for anything else to send because they don't want to hurt sales

Ukraine need to grind rep with the US before they get access to top tier shop items

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Homeless Friend posted:

lmfao elon ftw

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1588505969293635584

seems bad

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Sadly I like gimmick decks too much for my own good so good NATO AA is a bit hard to come by.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

those are good tho. m47 dragons are a noob trap

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
a franco-german deck is surprisingly fun

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

sum posted:

It's hilarious that the US has literally thousands of surplus Bradleys and Abramses just sitting around in the desert and they're scraping the bottom of the barrel for anything else to send because they don't want to hurt sales

the idea that the us isnt sending bradleys or abramses because it would "hurt sales" if they got blown up in ukraine is nonsense imo. nobody buys bradleys anyways, and saudi and iraqi m1s getting clowned on hasnt hurt m1 sales.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

big "digging around in the back of your pantry and donating all the 10 year old cans of pumkin pie filling and cream of eel at the food drive" energy

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The US has said pretty bluntly that:

1. Those tanks sitting in a lot in the desert would cost a shitload to refit
2. The US has no desire to send a bunch of maintenance intensive Abrams to Ukraine and then have to foot the bill for repairing them and supplying parts, fuel, ammo, etc.

Abrams are expensive to run, and the US doesn't really want to foot that bill so far.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The actual reason is that it's hard to photoshop an Abrams and Bradley with Z's and launder it as a Russian loss for OSINT to use in their daily navel gazing. :tinfoil:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
i bet t-72s are more useful in the present war anyways. arent nato 120mm he tank rounds kinda trash

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

1100 is not exactly an auspicious number... but an army of Phoenix Ghosts is fearsome indeed. Such creatures are practically immortal, and their ghostly fire can burn the very soul of their enemies

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

speng31b posted:

the popes a nerd. watcha gonna do about it FF on probe, no papists here to stop me

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The next US defense budget is going to be like nothing anyones ever seen, cause all the warehouses full of old stuff got sent to Ukraine and naturally those warehouses need to get refilled with the latest and greatest.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

2. The US has no desire to send a bunch of maintenance intensive Abrams to Ukraine and then have to foot the bill for repairing them and supplying parts, fuel, ammo, etc.

Abrams are expensive to run, and the US doesn't really want to foot that bill so far.

You think that the country that spends nearly a trillion dollars a year on its military can't afford to refurbish its own mothballed inventory?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

sum posted:

You think that the country that spends nearly a trillion dollars a year on its military can't afford to refurbish its own mothballed inventory?

its less a matter of "could" rather than "won't"

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Yeah I’m partial to the theory that we’re not sending abrams and Bradleys cause we don’t want viral video of them getting exploded. hard to take the cost argument seriously.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

HiroProtagonist posted:

its less a matter of "could" rather than "won't"

yes

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the people deciding what to send don’t give a poo poo about sending the most effective weapons platforms, if anything they’re going to be trying to avoid prompting escalation from russia beyond the current scope of the war, it’s about bleeding russia and expanding american power, not actually getting ukraine to a military victory

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Chewbaccanator posted:

You can go into the individual properties being sold and look at the pictures and where they are. You can even bid on stuff directly. It's all available in English: https://privatization.gov.ua/en/

It's kind of insane, a Clinton fever dream from the 90s.

https://privatization.gov.ua/en/product/at-kryvorizka-tets/

They're selling the monopoly heating utility for a city of 600,000 people on a website

I think I'm going to be sick

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Best Friends posted:

Yeah I’m partial to the theory that we’re not sending abrams and Bradleys cause we don’t want viral video of them getting exploded. hard to take the cost argument seriously.

Could you imagine the discourse if America's modern tanks were getting styled on? Even one video of a lucky hit or an abandoned vehicle getting destroyed would look really bad.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

The Oldest Man posted:

https://privatization.gov.ua/en/product/at-kryvorizka-tets/

They're selling the monopoly heating utility for a city of 600,000 people on a website

I think I'm going to be sick

goon project?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Danann posted:

The actual reason is that it's hard to photoshop an Abrams and Bradley with Z's and launder it as a Russian loss for OSINT to use in their daily navel gazing. :tinfoil:

What, you doubt that Russia has lost 1400 tanks so far?!

https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1588520926412697600?t=gXibnYh_l86pftQW-Dz-ow&s=19

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

sum posted:

Granted, General Dynamics also wants to sell new Abrams tanks, not have to rebuild old ones they already sold. But yeah, it is a pain in the rear end and honestly, I don’t know when those tanks would be used unless ww3 dragged on for years.

Also, yeah, even the US knows that those tanks would be inappropriate for Ukraine. I am sure dudes are pumped up on the fact they would crush any other tank, but they would literally collapse any bridge they were put on. People wondered why there was so little rebar in Ukrainian bridges, they were designed that way.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i can't believe russia has lost 2800 tanks so far

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Wheeee posted:

the people deciding what to send don’t give a poo poo about sending the most effective weapons platforms, if anything they’re going to be trying to avoid prompting escalation from russia beyond the current scope of the war, it’s about bleeding russia and expanding american power, not actually getting ukraine to a military victory

Also, sending the oldest equipment gives the politicians come budget time the ability to then request new equipment. If anything, they're going to send the oldest and the worst equipment, because that benefits the military industrial complex grift far far more than sending in the new equipment. They'll send in the new equipment, don't get me wrong, but using Ukraine as a way to upgrade their inventory is an explicit part of the plan.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Peace will come to Ukraine when Putler is defeated and United Russia banned forever

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

CongoJack posted:

Could you imagine the discourse if America's modern tanks were getting styled on? Even one video of a lucky hit or an abandoned vehicle getting destroyed would look really bad.

especially in a war that’s popularly presented as “video of a tank exploding” = that side is strategically defeated.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

redneck nazgul posted:

goon project?

grovercorp heat and steam

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

mlmp08 posted:

Invited over and the host bypasses the normal everyday flatware and goes to that special drawer where the mismatched utensils reside.

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Raskolnikov38 posted:

a franco-german deck is surprisingly fun

Franco-german dreck :rolleyes:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

CongoJack posted:

Even one video of a lucky hit or an abandoned vehicle getting destroyed would look really bad.

I don't know why anyone would think that. Several US Abrams were destroyed in Iraq, more damaged. Often friendly fire.

Tanks getting blown up in modern warfare, against ATGMs, is just expected.

The US just really doesn't want to deal with the headache of probably escalation of giving out Abrams, then having to maintain them and having to deal with the Ukrainians not knowing how or having the logistical support or spare parts to maintain them. And if they started breaking down, then Ukraine would probably start to say as much in the media and so on. Comparatively many more T-72 spare parts sitting around in Ukraine.

There are a number of capabilities that wouldn't likely be a money problem that the US just chooses no to give. Like fighter jets and ATACMS and Abrams and so on.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

redneck nazgul posted:

goon project?

That one is just sad but I think this could be a good situation comedy plot

https://privatization.gov.ua/en/pro...-seproshynagtv/

Maybe I don't fully understand privatization but apparently if I pay just over $1,000 USD I own Ukraine's physical testing facility for tires and rubber products and its 4 employees now work for me?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

You guys want some escalation?

"small numbers" of US Soldiers in Ukraine now.

https://www.defensenews.com/flashpoints/ukraine/2022/10/31/us-military-conducting-onsite-weapons-inspections-in-ukraine/

speng31b
May 8, 2010

as reported originally by thread hero and correct opinion haver Michael Tracey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Wait wait wait...are you telling me that Elon Musk isn't reliable?:aaaaa: