Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Neelix is so stoked that Voyager has water, probably one of the most common chemicals in the universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Torres gets some interesting episodes, especially early in the run before Seven of Nine shows up.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Strap Kim and O'Brien to opposite ends of a dynamo and tell the computer to promote whoever ends up on top. Boom! perpetual motion machine.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Prurient Squid posted:

Strap Kim and O'Brien to opposite ends of a dynamo and tell the computer to promote whoever ends up on top. Boom! perpetual motion machine.

To be fair O'Brien seems to get promoted from Chief Petty Officer to Senior Chief Petty Officer at some point.

Given all that went down during the war, I wouldn't be surprised if his transfer to Earth was accompanied by becoming Master Chief. <halo theme>

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Laterite posted:

Well, after 25+ years of avoiding it, I'm finally starting Voyager.

Watched the pilot, twas decent. Good setup but lol at the end when Janeway and Chakotay "jointly" decide to just combine crews under the Starfleet banner.

I enjoyed how they lampshade Tom Paris's past as "Not-Locarno". Overall I like him so far.

I can do nothing but laugh at how irritating Neelix is from the jump, having seen all the memes and discourse about him over the years. I can't believe he was intended to be the breakout character.

I hope they do more with Torres, she seems interesting (spoiler: I know they won't).

Oh, and I like Tuvok & Janeway's dynamic. Very obviously a Kirk/Spock replication, but it works for me.

I started a re-watch a couple months ago and the first 2-3 seasons were actually better and more interesting than I remembered they were.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

CainFortea posted:

She beamed down to a planet with an aging plague because she couldn't handle the medical technology. She's not exactly hyper competent.

I mean hyper competent in the context of S2 standards

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Also I don’t think you have pick Pulaski OR Crusher, both are potentially great characters with talented actors who were underserved by the writing. Both deserved better on TNG it’s just more egregious with Crusher because they had plenty of time to develop her character and basically no excuse for fumbling Crusher stories so consistently.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Cause & Effect, Remember Me and Suspicions are all good Crusher episodes and there should have been more episodes where Bev solves a mystery and less episodes where she has zero chemistry with her love interest of the week.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Crusher's great when she's on a crusade or is taking a hard moral stand.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Laterite posted:

Oh, and I like Tuvok & Janeway's dynamic. Very obviously a Kirk/Spock replication, but it works for me.

Hope you enjoyed it because it's over. Anything that started out well got dropped by the second episode or didn't make it past the first season.

The super bio-chips, limited torpedoes, no repair facilities, no crew replacements, crew strife...

Everything gets a passing mention once or twice and is then sacrificed upon the "reset button" alter.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Yeah “Remember Me” is when there’s no more excuse to sideline her. She clearly had strengths as an actress and they just weren’t interested in investing in them

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I think the trick with Voyager is to just accept that everything will get reset, storylines, character development, hull damage, you name it. First time I watched Voyager I got real mad about how nothing means anything but I enjoyed my most recent rewatch because I went in determined to not care just as much as Voyager was determined to not care.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I think the trick with Voyager is to just accept that everything will get reset, storylines, character development, hull damage, you name it. First time I watched Voyager I got real mad about how nothing means anything but I enjoyed my most recent rewatch because I went in determined to not care just as much as Voyager was determined to not care.

Yes. Giving this it is TNG light bud. Passable, but could be better stuff.

By watching it you can also see why Ron Moore lost his mind and made the BSG reboot ultra-nihilistic and dark, until it wasn't and was replaced by asspulls, and an endgame that makes even the hardcore fans blush.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Most of Crusher's character hooks are things like, "Wesley is her son" and "Has conflicted feelings about Picard." These sort of motivations work great in the first season where the show is a full ensemble cast, and everyone gets their moment. So even if they don't need a doctor she'll have a little scene where she tries to help Picard cope with the situation. But from Season 3 on they go to having each episode featuring a certain character, which basically means that if the episode doesn't feature her or Wesley, her character hooks aren't going to show up because they almost completely dropped her thing with Picard in the middle seasons. And then Wesley goes away. So basically she is only going to show up in any meaningful way in episodes where they need a doctor or they go back to ensemble situations like Disaster. Eventually they do start trying to find her new plot hooks, but they really don't make a serious effort until Season 6 and 7.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
First time I watched Voyager it was running concurrently with DS9 which paints it in even starker contrast lol

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

sweet geek swag posted:

Most of Crusher's character hooks are things like, "Wesley is her son" and "Has conflicted feelings about Picard." These sort of motivations work great in the first season where the show is a full ensemble cast, and everyone gets their moment. So even if they don't need a doctor she'll have a little scene where she tries to help Picard cope with the situation. But from Season 3 on they go to having each episode featuring a certain character, which basically means that if the episode doesn't feature her or Wesley, her character hooks aren't going to show up because they almost completely dropped her thing with Picard in the middle seasons. And then Wesley goes away. So basically she is only going to show up in any meaningful way in episodes where they need a doctor or they go back to ensemble situations like Disaster. Eventually they do start trying to find her new plot hooks, but they really don't make a serious effort until Season 6 and 7.

Her original role was head mistress of the school system running at Enterprise, for less-than serious B-stories about the civilian life at the Galaxy-class ship, this is why she was also written in with a child and dead husband.

However, they late in development decided to cut the civilian life-aspect along with the school storylines, and since they didn't have doctor at that point cast yet, just made her the doctor of the ship. At that time, being the doctor carried the idea of being the 3rd main character, but they had already cast the bridge crew and had other plans, so she got stuck somewhere in the middle of writing limbo.

They literally started the series with little to no idea how to use the "not 3rd main character"-doctor, and her son.

naem
May 29, 2011

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Cause & Effect, Remember Me and Suspicions are all good Crusher episodes and there should have been more episodes where Bev solves a mystery and less episodes where she has zero chemistry with her love interest of the week.

she had great chemistry with grandma’s sex ghost candle

Trixie Hardcore posted:

First time I watched Voyager it was running concurrently with DS9 which paints it in even starker contrast lol

those shows could not be any different lol it’s wild

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Crusher being put in command of the Enterprise in Descent 2 and she has it fly into a sun to blow up the Borg was awesome. Too bad the overall episode kinda stinks.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

naem posted:

she had great chemistry with grandma’s sex ghost candle

I almost added that to my original post, that candle was like the only romance of the week I ever bought. Not the parts where the candle looks like Shakaar, just the parts were the candle is a green mist, Bev & that mist were burnin up the screen.

Laterite posted:

Crusher being put in command of the Enterprise in Descent 2 and she has it fly into a sun to blow up the Borg was awesome. Too bad the overall episode kinda stinks.

:agreed:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Crusher's big character hooks later on are her determination and that she's absolutely morally rock-solid, more than anyone else on the ship (and obviously that's saying something). She will not stand for any 'oh shades of grey' or 'oh no they're the enemy' or 'it's just a drone' bullshit for even a second and will stand up for that.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I've been going through a lot of what I would call "prestige background TV", stuff like Psych, Fringe, Leverage, The Librarians, etc. to unwind after work. Genre material but not generic "Chicago PD/Fire/EMT/Animal Control". I figure Voyager will fit in nicely there.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Although I would probably watch Chicago Animal Control.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

MikeJF posted:

She will not stand for any 'oh shades of grey'

But deal, nobody likes that episode.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's really no excuse for pulaski disdaining precautions against infectious diseases. that poo poo makes no sense and isn't consistent with pulaski's usual level of competence. but i guess whoever wrote that episode couldn't make the premise work otherwise.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
LMAO at the bridge crew all getting together to have a long conversation on whether they wanna gently caress up Wesley Crushers day

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Blistex posted:

Hope you enjoyed it because it's over. Anything that started out well got dropped by the second episode or didn't make it past the first season.

The super bio-chips, limited torpedoes, no repair facilities, no crew replacements, crew strife...

Everything gets a passing mention once or twice and is then sacrificed upon the "reset button" alter.

No, the Janeway/Tuvok set up is one of the few things that stays consistent through the whole show. I mean, the final episodes were basically triggered because Janeway couldn't cope with Tuvok's degeneration thingy.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Voyager wasn’t usually BAD but more just an unfortunate waste of a great premise, quickly becoming “tng but worse”

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

Voyager wasn’t usually BAD but more just an unfortunate waste of a great premise, quickly becoming “tng but worse”

That's my take as well. Watching it immediately after binging all of TNG was a mistake, it was just more of the same but less good. This led to me not bothering to try DS9 for a couple years, which is perhaps its greatest crime.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Facebook Aunt posted:

Except not really because there are a million years of Q being alive and no rule that Q has to live them linearly. An earlier, non-dead version of Q can show up at any time.

Nope, he died, it's cannon.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Canon is whatever you want it to be

Not Evans
Aug 2, 2007

Tobias, have you been flogging Simpsons prop replicas on the internet again?

Laterite posted:

Well, after 25+ years of avoiding it, I'm finally starting Voyager.

Watched the pilot, twas decent. Good setup but lol at the end when Janeway and Chakotay "jointly" decide to just combine crews under the Starfleet banner.

I enjoyed how they lampshade Tom Paris's past as "Not-Locarno". Overall I like him so far.

I can do nothing but laugh at how irritating Neelix is from the jump, having seen all the memes and discourse about him over the years. I can't believe he was intended to be the breakout character.

I hope they do more with Torres, she seems interesting (spoiler: I know they won't).

High five, big same! Except for loving Paris, that toolbag's a toolbag. I don't know how much of it is immediate impressions and how much of it is things I've picked up from this thread, but my main observations so far are that (a) Harry Kim is going nowhere in life, ever, and is going to get less play than Geordie and (b) Tuvok and Neelix are a couple

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Geordie and Harry Kim are also a couple.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Prurient Squid posted:

Geordie and Harry Kim are also a couple.

Never. Harry Kim would have to have a successful relationship for that to be true.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

MikeJF posted:

To be fair O'Brien seems to get promoted from Chief Petty Officer to Senior Chief Petty Officer at some point.

Given all that went down during the war, I wouldn't be surprised if his transfer to Earth was accompanied by becoming Master Chief. <halo theme>

1993 Doom but the protagonist is O'Brien.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Prurient Squid posted:

1993 Doom but the protagonist is O'Brien.

"Someone's gotta show these demons the difference between a self sealing stem bolt and a plasma converter" *frags everyone*

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Two player coop has Keiko.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Don't you just love how wrong voyager gets science? Like water being scarce in space, or that you can just simulate 65 million years of evolution (with no knowledge of what environments the lifeform lived in) to get a perfect 3d recreation in a matter of seconds.

I mean the only accurate scientific thing on voyager I can think of is the mutating in to a salamander if you go at infinite velocity.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Also that certain species just naturally are criminals.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
The AI art stuff this year irl makes The 65 million years of evolution extrapolation way, way more realistic given other levels of technology seen on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

ShredsYouSay posted:

Don't you just love how wrong voyager gets science? Like water being scarce in space, or that you can just simulate 65 million years of evolution (with no knowledge of what environments the lifeform lived in) to get a perfect 3d recreation in a matter of seconds.

I mean the only accurate scientific thing on voyager I can think of is the mutating in to a salamander if you go at infinite velocity.

It should have been that the water was scarce because the ocean planet people stole it all to make the ocean planet