Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

CarForumPoster posted:

I do know a little about starting a small business. Currently 3 yrs in 10 employees, steady MoM revenue growth, profitable. How are your business(es)? Is anyone's health insurance for their newborn dependent on Motronic's business? Did you have customers for that business within 3 months of deciding you want to take steps toward starting it?

lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

n8r posted:

We need photos of the building. Inside and out.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ya, I was kinda with him till this

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

CarForumPoster posted:

"greasy spoon" and/or "bad vibes but cheap" restaurants have been on the outs for at least a decade. Seems like consumer trends and tastes are crystal clear here, and the cost and profit difference is minimal at inception.
This is a place with an average income of 40k. Greasy spoon/hole in the wall places are going to be more frequented than you think. Source: Familiar with the restaurant scene in the small town midwest.

Not that the comparison matters when we're talking about a hypothetical donut place in a crumbling building owned by a guy who reflexively shitposts in response to normal questions like "do you have a business plan" and "do you understand the sorts of hours you're signing up for".

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Rational thought fades into the abyss of this thread, but there are countless dingy spots all over San Francisco (to pick a major metro area) and rural Iowa (to pick something else) which have been making money for 10+ years. They largely serve a different demographic from your $4 fancy donut spot where you might consider eating inside, but they do it well.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
MY GIRLFRIEND SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS
We got old, drat

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
also lmao at the white knight complaining that "white knight" is name-calling

go hogge wilde and just declare it a slur and post a qqcs thread about it perhaps

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Epitope posted:

MY GIRLFRIEND SUCCESSFUL BUSINESS
We got old, drat

Speak for yourself I have always been old.

Also does anyone younger then 50 buy donuts?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I just made money
And it felt so good
A customer let me charge them for someone else's labor

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Elephanthead posted:

Whoa there, let's not get all crazy now!

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
I just bought some fancy sweet potato donuts, they were $1.50 each and purple and also delicious.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

All I know is that robot donuts are the future. Our union OP should own the means of production and buy used industrial robots to seed his donut empire.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Rational thought fades into the abyss of this thread, but there are countless dingy spots all over San Francisco (to pick a major metro area) and rural Iowa (to pick something else) which have been making money for 10+ years. They largely serve a different demographic from your $4 fancy donut spot where you might consider eating inside, but they do it well.

How do you know they're making money? Like, do you have access to their books, or have they just not gone bankrupt yet?

There's a lot of room between "bankrupt" and "making money". There's even more room if you're hoping to get "economically profitable".

*grammar fix

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Nov 5, 2022

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Weatherman posted:

also lmao at the white knight complaining that "white knight" is name-calling

go hogge wilde and just declare it a slur and post a qqcs thread about it perhaps

What flavor would a White Knight donut be?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

toplitzin posted:

What flavor would a White Knight donut be?

strawberry icing, pistachios, and something unidentifiable but salty that makes something in your psyche deeply uncomfortable.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Rationale posted:

You should try that thing you’re scared to try

like making a business plan

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Floorplan of the building, or photos of the interior? I assume you're not going to doxx your own business, so I won't ask for the exterior photos. :v:

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

pseudanonymous posted:

How do you know they're making money? Like, do you have access to their books, or have they just not gone bankrupt yet?

There's a lot of room between "bankrupt" and "making money". There's even more room if you're hoping to get "economically profitable".

*grammar fix

They have been around for a long time under the same ownership. I also have access to all their books and can confirm concretely that they are making decent money, enough to drive 5 year old japanese SUVs.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Buddy’s havin a party so I think I’ll try to take a bunch of donuts

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Rationale posted:

gently caress yeah

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Oh yeah! Now it starts! Once you’ve got these folks hooked they’ll tell their friends and they’ll tell their friends and you’ll open with some regulars already! They won’t even care where you’re located, they’ll come get donuts.

Mr Fish
Nov 16, 2016
I have 2 important questions. Is this space big enough for a bouncy castle and does your state have legal weed?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

like making a business plan

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

Bet your rear end I do. In fact MY WIFE is out buying some right now - Dynamo Donuts here in SF has an amazing chocolate/passion fruit donut that we try to get on the weekends.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Elephanthead posted:

I'm still under 50 and I buy donuts once every 3-4 years. I regret it every time and it takes a couple of years to forget.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Rationale posted:

That's legitimately a good idea for when you're closer to opening, btw. Bring a bunch of kickass donuts of different types to social things, and if people really like them, tell them you're gonna start selling them soon and give them a card with your grand opening day.

Also, if your town newspaper or web equivalent is as lovely as most are, they're probably desperate for any local news and would legit run a "new donut restaurant" PR piece for a few bucks or even free once you're ready.

Or you could find a printing press getting auctioned off from a failed newspaper, buy it, start your own paper, dedicate it entirely to your donut store, carpet-bomb the whole region in donut news, and wait nope got distracted by something shiny after the auction part. :v:

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

when I lived in walking distance of a donut shop I liked I ate there quite a bit, but was also younger and working out enough that I didn't need to care

now I live in a new area with one donut shop that I went to once and never again cause they just make cake donuts and coat them in lovely icing/sauces and lovely idiot toppings

I do not want store bought Oreos crumbled onto a donut you dipshit or else I'd go to the store next door to your shop and buy Oreos and their store baked donuts and make the same lovely product cheaper and to my liking, which I don't because I want a good donut if I'm gonna eat a donut

my rule of thumb as an old fatass spoiled by many excellent donut shops is if they don't have a decent apple fritter, they're poo poo, and has held true for years

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

I will also confirm my all time favorite donut shop looked fine, but if you stuck around inside you'd notice "huh, maybe uh, maybe clean a little better, maybe fix some of your damaged walls, or don't, whatever, thanks for the kickass Bavarian cream filled donut holes."

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

What the fucj is wrong with you

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

What you need is a TikTok channel featuring some hot donut content to lure the zoomers into your donut hovel.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Thought it was the in thing to eat donuts?

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
Cake donuts are gross there I said it

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Elephanthead posted:

Office and school parties, baby. Fall is prime donut season

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Powerful Katrinka posted:

Office and school parties, baby. Fall is prime donut season

Pumpkin Spice Donuts.
Make Billions.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Explicitly do not have pumpkin spice anything. Make billions.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Have donuts with AND without pumpkin spice

Make TWO billions :smuggo:

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I've never tasted pumpkin spice, what's it like?
(I've tasted donuts. They are crap imo)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Adolf Glitter posted:

I've never tasted pumpkin spice, what's it like?
(I've tasted donuts. They are crap imo)

Depends on where from some places think that means nutmeg

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Len posted:

Depends on where from some places think that means nutmeg

Ah, I see.
Nutmeg is OK I guess.
gently caress all donuts tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene