Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Fidelitious posted:

It was kind of fun watching them run out to the ships and have their decently nice animations playing for getting in to the ships.
But oh lord, then the ships started taking off. The physics are so bad! I know we joke about the 'noclip' flight model but it is extremely close to just being that.
Haven't there been hundreds of words written by various employees about the intricacies of their flight model, how they've worked on it for years? I do truly believe that they've collectively put a ton of work into it, and yet somehow they ended up with something that is one step away from literally being noclip.

Kind of sad for whoever worked on that stuff.

Yes. :)

I also remember talking about this just the other day! I'm like the cig whisperer!

Big focus on art, animation, and movies.

Everything else is hugely secondary or even further down the list. So you have pretty good running and climbing animations, and then you have to rely on programmers to make the ship movements look good... and it all falls to pieces.

CR respects and wants artists far more than he values programmers and it kind of shows... everywhere!

Layer in that code! :homebrew:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Fidelitious posted:

It was kind of fun watching them run out to the ships and have their decently nice animations playing for getting in to the ships.

If "decently nice" includes the first pilot running to the nose of the ship, teleporting to in front of the cockpit to start the cockpit opening animation, then teleporting back to the nose of the ship.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Dwesa posted:

I think this was supposed to look impressive... but it highlights SC's crap physics/flight model instead

:reddit: The Launch

https://v.redd.it/ktjiyk84trx91/DASH_480.mp4

At the first few lift-offs, I just felt the hand of the little boy in me pick them up by the tail and lift them.
It was a happy feeling :)

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The Kamchatka dropping off Gurlukovics Soldiers on the Ship in the opening of MGS2 looked better and more realistic than this. 21 years ago.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
When you compare a team of genuine talent against a team with virtually no talent, that talent and ability will be obviously visible and differentiating for a very very long time.

You can give a true artist Ms paint and a total amateur photoshop and all the tools and plugins available to all of humanity, and the person with Ms paint will still make better art.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.
Choice bits from yesterday's avocados patch notes.

quote:

Star Citizen PES Testing 3.18.0

It is strongly recommended that players delete their USER and Shader folders for the Public client after patching, particularly if you start encountering any odd character graphical issues or crash on loading.

Playtest length: 2+ Hours depending on stability
Objective: Testing initial login flow, loading into the universe, spawning a ship, and general stability.
Note: If your character gets into a bad state and is unable to rejoin the PU or you see a 30009 error, please wait 5-10 min at most and if the issue persists, then try to recopy your account to the PTU.

We are expecting a bit better of an experience this time but still expect a vast array of bugs, crashes, and difficulties logging in. Please reference the known issues below for workarounds and what NOT to do, and specific behaviors to avoid. :lol:

Known Issues

Ladder T1 - When exiting a ladder, the player enters a walk/run state without any keyboard input :lmao:

Multivehicle - VMA - Vehicles / Ship Components / UI - Unable to customize any ship within the Vehicle Loadout Manager

Persistent Entity Streaming - Game Code / Characters - After exiting to menu, when reconnecting to the PU, players will load into their primary residence and not their last saved location

Infinite Load - If the player idles out while playing ( Error Code: 30028 ) it will cause an infinite load either returning to main menu, or attempting a client restart to re-enter the PU

Shopping / Economy / Game Code - Players are unable to quick buy from kiosks, they are also unable to sell items

Multiple Locations - Actor Feature / UI - Medical - Player unable to heal injuries in med bed

Also looks like they're using server tickrates usually reserved for MUDs.

All is going well I'd say! :nyan:

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 4, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

Sweet paintjob on that ship! Is it still in stock?

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

FishMcCool posted:

Sweet paintjob on that ship! Is it still in stock?

They had to remove rainbow ships cause the servers can't handle that many colors without having a fit and crashing, same goes for some backers.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

They had to remove rainbow ships cause the servers can't handle that many colors without having a fit and crashing, same goes for some backers.
meanwhile in NMS

and nobody cares

taxxe:

https://i.imgur.com/kUoEg5L.mp4

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Dwesa posted:

meanwhile in NMS

Oh, that's so cool! I have to find how to unlock this one!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Choice bits from yesterday's avocados patch notes.

Also looks like they're using server tickrates usually reserved for MUDs.

Meanwhile if one AAA game has a bit of lag once for 1 person over the course of a month of flawless service, that immediately makes it worse than star citizen and another trash AAA game who sold out to big publishers sucking people dry with micro transactions and nonsense.

Nowhere near the perfection of star citizen.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

The Titanic posted:

Meanwhile if one AAA game has a bit of lag once for 1 person over the course of a month of flawless service, that immediately makes it worse than star citizen and another trash AAA game who sold out to big publishers sucking people dry with micro transactions and nonsense.

Nowhere near the perfection of star citizen.

Can't have lag if your server tickrate is 0,5 and everything IS basically lag.

They did it, the sons of bitches did it, they solved the lag problem for every other game! :cheersdoge:

Just wait till they try negative tickrate, minds will be blown. :boom:

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Anyone here wants to have their assets sucked by a suction ship?

And this idea is stupid anyway, all Star Citizen ships already suck.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

And there are plenty of suckers for those new ships as well.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Jonny Shiloh posted:

And there are plenty of suckers for those new ships as well.

Oh good one, you get 30 free mins with the suction ship, enjoy! :lolplant:

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Inside Star Citizen: The Cargo Show | Fall 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSsWaTw4n8s&ab_channel=StarCitizen

Horrifying as this news might be for the hardcore immersion backers, ironically this may well be good for Star Citizen.

Are they just dropping ALL cargo if something blows up?

Wouldn't a good portion of the cargo be destroyed in a catastrophic event?

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Mellow_ posted:

No they actually go into this on the video - apparently there's a 0-90% chance of an individual box being destroyed. Or something. I don't remember exactly because it was so dull, if you're interested in the actual figure, the big lad with the profusion of plugs in the wall talks about it.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Mellow_ posted:

Wouldn't a good portion of the cargo be destroyed in a catastrophic event?

I'm sure it's just tier zero cargo drop. Shockwave and shrapnel simulations take time and pipelines to set up.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
My favourite bit in that is that an actually not stupidly unrealistic collection option would be a swarm of collection drones, but they can't implement it because ED did it before them. So magibeam it is. :lmao:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Oh yeah. Pretty sure I saw this in like ratchet and clank. It's fun! :)

Imagine how silly it would look though if a ship were just sitting there and all these silly boxes were flying up at it.

That's not very fidelitous. :argh:

No. I think what cig should do is lock down each box to a certain wavelength of your tractor beam modulation, and each box has a different modulation frequency. So you need to look at each box, record the 10 digit modulation frequency, then return to your ship (or call it in to your crew person that you of course have working for you), so that your tractor beam can be configured to tow that piece of cargo in. It's security as well so people can't steal your cargo without investigating it first.

Then do this for every single box you need to pick up.

This is how real life would do it so I don't see why cig should cut corners here and make some ridiculous ratchet and clank "suction vacuum" which is utterly non-fidelitous. :colbert:

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Fidelitious posted:

But oh lord, then the ships started taking off. The physics are so bad! I know we joke about the 'noclip' flight model but it is extremely close to just being that.
Haven't there been hundreds of words written by various employees about the intricacies of their flight model, how they've worked on it for years? I do truly believe that they've collectively put a ton of work into it, and yet somehow they ended up with something that is one step away from literally being noclip.

It literally is just no-clip but w/ some velocity control added.

Doing a 180 and hovering upside down a few feet from the surface of a planet is entirely possible. Just sitting there hovering upside down forever.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Y'all can't judge the game in this alpha state. If you can't handle it you probably should go buy a ship with a hot tub and soak your problems away and buy another javelin until you forget about it.

And... you don't understand game development.

And... how many space games have you personally made at this level of fidelity never done before?

And... this has never been done before too so... there!

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
The rain of boxes along the ship is pretty cool, if the engine can handle it and they can pull this out.

However, that kind of piracy is too extreme for the whales, so we know there will be many soothing words in the AMA to assure whale "investments" are protected

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

quote:

NPCs do not say one thing and simultaneously do another. There's no feint or betrayal - they don't stall you while their buddies come to call,....
You obviously haven't been listening to Chris Roberts or watching the very first planetary landing demonstration on Delamar after your encounter with Miles Eckhart. Tricksy those NPC' are going to be according to Chris Roberts.

quote:

Don't be like Sea of Thieves, Star Citizen, there's more to the 'verse than that.
This is what comes up when I Google 'Does Sea of Thieves have an NPC population?'

quote:

There is no NPCs in the game and there also won't be NPCs in the future.

Sea of Thieves is the raisin d'etre of the game without PvP there is no game, that is not how Star Citizen is being designed.
This seems to be such a hugely difficult concept for certain players of other games to grasp, Star Citizen isn't like any other game. They can stick their fingers in their ears and stamp their feet insisting it is! it is! it is! all they want... it just isn't.

The play space is huge there is no unavoidable funneling into choke points. There IS a huge population of NPC AI for players to get lost in.. and there is no way for players to identify who are players and who are NPC's until they get 'up close and personal' by which time they are committed to an action that has consequences. The idea that live players will ignore all that NPC traffic and wait many hours until the odd live player comes along is ludicrous. Herds of Wildebeest may get attacked by the occasional predator but the chances of that predator getting you personally is 1000's to 1. Showing a picture of a lion mauling a baby wildebeest is misleading if it doesn't show the massive herd of Wildebeest moving on unmolested behind that lion.

PvP will be a rare occurrence, if you know what you're doing and take care it will be a vanishingly rare occurrence.

Right now murder is the norm and the consequences are basically a short time on the naughty step, otherwise no consequences, this will not continue. Quarterdeck is the big boy prison planet, not some local jail Klescher Rehab for a minor parking offence - going off to Quarterdeck means your ship and contents are confiscated. You think it will be as easy as rocking up to the nearest ASOP terminal to get insurance? Think again. Have you noticed there are security gates just in front of most ASOP terminal areas? You're waiting for some rarely random live guy to turn up among the crowds meanwhile there's a huge posse of potential bounty hunters actively looking for you.

All players will have a history log that informs other players and NPC's about who they are dealing with. Once an ex-con always an ex-con. Even the entrepreneurial 'law-skirters' wanting an easy buck won't be tolerant of murderers and those who engage in wanton destruction bringing in higher security forces to a cushy neighbourhood that accepts a bit of extortion as just one part of doing business. There is an NPC bounty hunters guild and the Advocacy!

Where and how you get offered work depends on your reputation, you won't be getting the type of work that has you going into more secured areas of the game if you have a very poor reputation, whereas lawful players will know how to avoid those systems that harbour the criminal types in a greater abundance. Criminals will spend most of their time with PvE not just because the ratio of NPC's is higher, but also because NPC's will be drawn to them in ever increasing numbers - they've painted a big 'come get me! for a juicy pew-pew legal payout' sign on their backs.

The economy is to be simulated accurately, no magic commodities, any disruption to supply side economics will be met with an increasing level of security services in an area... and they can have access to unlimited resources while any bad boys will be severely hampered in where and how much the resources they need are available to them - they will need to rely on grey middle-men for supplies. It will not be easy to live a lawless life, it will close off large parts of the game universe, and the activities in that part of the universe, especially those that take place in very highly patrolled secured areas.

Really.. stop comparing Star Citizen to other games, you'll just keep giving yourselves the wrong ideas.

EvE Online and Rust don't have a Quarterdeck prison planet, they don't have an NPC bounty hunters guild or an Advocacy connected to a centralised intelligence database with security check points literally everywhere in UEE controlled space (you know... the ones you just saunter through in the game right now like they aren't there), much less local security checking on entry to every single system and even between planets in higher security systems, or a UEE Navy.

EvE Online and Rust don't have facial DNA tech that means every player and NPC look absolutely unique and as such facial scanning is an effective deterrent to keep criminals out of areas of higher population. They don't have an annual Murray Cup Racing calendar, or local holiday events and Expo's. They don't have the same system for examining the reputation of other players and groups.

Death will cost you, that's goes even more for those who actively put themselves in the crosshairs of the law system the majority of the time they are logged in. Regeneration is free right now, it won't in the future.. also regeneration to bootleg Ibrahim Spheres away from secured areas will be harder to access, and guess who's gonna be waiting by your bedside? Realising the hardship and restrictions it will entail for those who like to shoot other players and NPC's which do you think makes more sense.. be a bounty hunter to get your pew pew kicks and get paid to have a good rep with the system or eternally be some low-life hiding every time a blip appears on your long range scanners, meanwhile watching everyone else see an amazingly actively universe going on around them.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Someone call a doctor, I think pisscat has overdose on dreams.txt.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

quote:

the raisin d'etre 

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Honestly, I find that less annoying than Skyrim 5.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Lammasu posted:

Honestly, I find that less annoying than Skyrim 5.

I agree, everyone knows it is Skyrim :five:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

My currant expectations are low

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
I think he's on to something... Security checks should add at least 45 minutes of queue to the "getting into a spaceship" gameplay, and filling out a detailed incident report when you reclaim a ship that takes minimum 2 working days to be processed (hope you're logged in when the Space Insurance Customer Service Agent calls you on spectrum to discuss something that's not fully clear in your report, otherwise it goes back to the bottom of the pile until you answer their message, resetting the 2-day counter) would also make all spaceflight events so much more meaningful!

Let's be honest, in this AAAAAAAAA space dogfighting game, space flight should be an exceptional event, most players only doing it once or twice per thousand or so hours of play-time.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Realistic ramp delays as the comm gear in the tower breaks, they run out of deice juice, crew turnover thresholds are hit. Sorry commando, time for a changing of the guard, and a thirty minute departure setback. Immersive!

Just hope the next crew didn't get stuck t-posing on the train unless you're looking for added realism today.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Looking forward to the NPCs I hire that will start forming a collective bargaining agreement.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Looking forward to the NPCs I hire that will start forming a collective bargaining agreement.

Hiring NPCs is for losers.

My crew will be made up of all my alt account characters that I'll be able to jump in and out of in an "Agent Smith" type of way that I'm sure I was promised in a Ten for the Chairman.

Chris Roberts keeps his word unlike those big publishers.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Colostomy Bag posted:

If the NPCs are half as smart and self-aware as Monocle Cat thinks they're going to be, the moment they wake up and realise they're in Star Citizen they'll self-destruct out of shame and embarrassment.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

In case you were wondering yep, citizens are still whining about pirates, including a call for "piracy boycott".

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I don't get why they are so mad. Surely in the fidelitous BDSSE they can simply place remotely detonated explosives around all their cargo and press the self destruct button just before their ship goes boom? I mean, that's the whole point of such a fidelitous sandbox isn't it? No shortcuts! No compromises! No cheating!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

When they get mad, I usually assume CIG is actually doing something right.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Another glimpse of gameplay proving they don’t want a video game interfering with their dreams

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

In case you were wondering yep, citizens are still whining about pirates, including a call for "piracy boycott".

Imagine having to come to terms where your real life simulator started to be more like a video game, and more like the thing you thought you wanted.

Blowing up a ship to get some amount of its cargo is a pretty staple expectation in a space game. It's kind of foundational in any game where cargo is part of the game loop.

I think the biggest problem with all these things trying to make a fun game is that cig has killed all the fun by making everything cost money, everything be super tedious to do, and most of it being an uphill battle against the broken game itself so when you do win, it was probably from hours of times where it didn't work.

Because of all of that, anything fun that results in "instant gratification and loot" has to be stopped. Take the game out of the game because playing it is so tedious and lengthy that anyone thinking they can sidetrack days and days of work should be stopped.

However, even Chris wants to make combat as deadly as cod. And the one game he seems to know about at one time, dark souls, also doesn't allow for much hand holding.

Enjoy your dumb "investment" and realize it's just a dumb video game, not a life replacement simulator where fun goes to die (well that's negotiable :) ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I kind of hope they all get their wish and once you are a bad guy you can't erase being that bad guy, ever, and everyone knows you are bad.

Between all the glitches, lack of understanding of who is an aggressor, and the game itself flagging you for something you can't help... everyone will be bad and have nothing left to lose. That will hopefully mean that you'll be good for about 4 hours of play before something surprising happens and the game denotes you as a bad guy... then you can just play the dumb game.

Go blow up ships, etc. nobody will care because you're already a bad guy. Maybe you can have fun once you lose your good guy virginity, and extra points to you if it's because you defended yourself from bad guys or the game made you do it by some broken system or a bug.