Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ralepozozaxe posted:

Just imagining this same tweet situation but instead of someone pretending to be elon they are pretending to be the official coca cola twitter.

Or even better, national governments.

EDIT: Or hell, local governments, imagine the chaos you can cause by pretending to send out a school-shooting alert

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
why would you admit your company is losing $4mil a day when you're trying to attract advertisers? loving why?

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
For the same reason he thinks directly threatening the advertisers giving him money is a smart business decision.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
god I love it and I am so glad no one can steal this man's buttons

post through it, king

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Christ that's cringeworthy. "please let us pay you as soon as possible".

Shaming advertiser's. That'll help keep the ones that haven't left yet!

Edit: also as far as I have seen there are no boycotts. Literally none. This is just advertiser's seeing the way it's going and not wanting their ads to be on a toxic site. Especially one that's not really worth much to them anyway.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I want to punch anyone who calls him their favorite African American.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Ehud posted:

He is now threatening to burn the bridges with advertisers who pulled ads from Twitter lol

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1588676939463946241?s=20&t=QTQWum9Len2K0R4q73uhAw

I'm starting to think Elon might be a dummy dumb dumb

TyrsHTML
May 13, 2004

Ehud posted:

He is now threatening to burn the bridges with advertisers who pulled ads from Twitter lol

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1588676939463946241?s=20&t=QTQWum9Len2K0R4q73uhAw

Its being reported in the news each time. They are not hiding it. You are a moron.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Ehud posted:

A "thermonuclear name and shame" of whom? The advertisers pulling out whose names have already been all over the news? This poo poo's already public! :ughh:

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Anora posted:

why would you admit your company is losing $4mil a day when you're trying to attract advertisers? loving why?

It’s not really a secret everyone knows he is over leveraged and over paid the deal itself destroyed the company people where guessing around that number. What’s more insane is he thinks that is an excuse to fire his human rights/content moderation team when they are the ones who keep his customers happy and spending money.

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1659601384?t=BjLUx4msDsbIGklHuugXZQ&s=19

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait. We know the companies pulling their ads, they have given journalists scoops.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

losing 4 million per day, so let's assume that's equivalent to the annual compensation and associated costs of 16 silicon valley engineers per day (~250k each), or 5840 engineers of annual compensation over a full year. twitter previously had about 7500 employees, so all elon has to do to break even is fire 78% of the staff and continue the same level of service and value to advertisers. very lucrative business he bought.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Ehud posted:

I'd love to see his right wing followers boycott Chevy/GM trucks.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

A "thermonuclear name and shame" of whom? The advertisers pulling out whose names have already been all over the news? This poo poo's already public! :ughh:

I'm hoping he does it because then advertisers would be reluctant to work with him again.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

A lot of Elon followers are going to learn he is a chaos emerald baby.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

koshmar posted:

I'd love to see his right wing followers boycott Chevy/GM trucks.

It'd just be this but with trucks instead of call of duty

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

https://twitter.com/ToddBaxter15/status/1588677539710410754

Good stuff

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

publicly threatening advertisers seems smart.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Roblo posted:

Edit: also as far as I have seen there are no boycotts. Literally none. This is just advertiser's seeing the way it's going and not wanting their ads to be on a toxic site. Especially one that's not really worth much to them anyway.

If Elon goes through with his threat to name and shame, I'll do a reverse-boycott and buy some stuff from them.

Not like a car or anything, but I'd pick up some name-brand breakfast cereal or whatever.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Elon Musk is a tulpa created by our society's collectively weird loving idea that having wealth is an indicator of merit in abilities and character. The fact that Elon is a prime example of that not being true is funny.

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
I can't wait for this saga to get onto an episode of Well There's Your Problem.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

A successful business needs coders and only coders. No janitors, no HR, no sales. no maintenance, no IT, no security. Just a bunch of guys broing out, popping some brews on company time and coding on a broken computer in a dark office covered in trash. That's how you run a business.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wait, what

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Can't wait till Monday to see hundreds of 'verified' tweets from Biden declaring nuclear war/white genocide/mandatory transbortions

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Why would an advertiser care if Elon names them? That’s literally free advertising to an audience of millions for them. It’s not even as if it would be some big secret. Worst that can happen is a chud boycott, which usually lasts about a week until they’re distracted by a new shiny object.

Threatening advertisers like they’re misbehaving children though, well that they might care about.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

look at the date on that tweet

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Anora posted:

"We are in desperate need of ad revenue and could really use your business. Now, let's sit down and negotiate."

It's a pro strategy, you just have to be smart and inteligent enough to realize the genius of it. We mere mortals can never hope to comprehend. :smug:

Poil fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 5, 2022

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
man and people thought justin timberlake was dumb for buying myspace for $35 million

now its looking like a much better service in comparison lmao

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

Ehud posted:

I'm sure WPP and other media agencies just love half assed extortion attempts.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Philthy posted:

man and people thought justin timberlake was dumb for buying myspace for $35 million

now its looking like a much better service in comparison lmao

he sold it for 80 5 years later so it was actually a much savvier deal.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

None of those advertisers need Twitter, shame them how exactly?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

he sold it for 80 5 years later so it was actually a much savvier deal.

When Elongated Muskrat cashes out for 80 billion you'll be singing a different tune.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Guze posted:

None of those advertisers need Twitter, shame them how exactly?

By giving them millions upon millions of free impressions apparently.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

When Elongated Muskrat cashes out for 80 billion you'll be singing a different tune.

Republican congress will buy it and gift it to president Trump

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

No way they had time to review 3k employees' code in a couple days for efficacy. LOL

Could just commit a commented line of code with the entire text of Moby Dick and become SVP.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Total Party Kill posted:

No way they had time to review 3k employees' code in a couple days for efficacy. LOL

Could just commit a commented line of code with the entire text of Moby Dick and become SVP.

nope, to qualify as VP in an elon company it needs to be the john galt monologue, it's that competitive

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Code Jockey posted:

god I love it and I am so glad no one can steal this man's buttons

post through it, king

Oh god but imagine someone petty enough internally to just ban him for a fraction of a secone. Imagine the furious babyrage that would occur if he was banned off his own platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

kazil posted:

Republican congress will buy it and gift it to president Trump

10 years ago I would have laughed