Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I wish I had the passion for jumping in holes that James does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
So do I

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Basic Chunnel posted:

why not just play Alan Wake

I like Alan Wake, but I would secretly like it even more if it shamelessly set itself in Maine rather than trying to be West Coast Stephen King.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Hakkesshu posted:

I've only played a little bit of Alien Isolation, but I keep hearing it's frustrating because there's no real logic to the way the alien works and it will always catch you if you hide? So you just gotta run whenever it's not close, and also crouching is completely useless? I don't know, I should get around to playing it, but that sort of stuff just scares me away.

The AI they use “rubber bands”, so it will dynamically search closer to you at a faster rate if you stick around in one place too long. When you move, it slows or resets that countdown.

The Alien AI is actually rather sophisticated. Iirc you have a certain amount of time if it’s alerted to you but can’t see you when you can hide in a locker. If you hide in a locker to stay out of sight of an alien that hasn’t clocked you, you’ll be fine. If you just park in a locker and do literally nothing else, it will eventually find you. You have to make judgments about how far away it is before you start moving - iirc 30-40 allows you a good head start and time to find a new hiding place if it starts to move toward you.

The Alien will only be alerted if it hears or sees you. Crouching can hide you behind obstacles but it is not any quieter than walking. So the thing to do is to stay outside the alien’s field of vision and walk to where you’re going. Don’t ever run anywhere.

On lowest difficulty, a good stretch of effective hiding can sometimes send the alien 80-90 meters away at which point they can actually exit the level (though it will come back if you run, shoot a gun, etc)

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

I wish I had the passion for jumping in holes that James does.

are you playing on original hardware or emulating? or playing the fan-enhanced pc version

not related to jumping in holes lol, just curious

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Emulated on PCSX2 gotta get them cheevos

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Saw Eternal Evil came out of early access. I know some people were positive on it a few months ago, has anyone else dived in? Still worth it?

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Gaius Marius posted:

Emulated on PCSX2 gotta get them cheevos

:cheers:

if you end up playing 3 make sure you use the same memory card

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

glitchwraith posted:

I am loving Observation so far! I somehow missed out on the fact that I'd basically be playing HAL 9000, but it works so well with NoCodes point and click style puzzles. Really curious now if their Silent Hill will play this way, and how they'd get that to work with the setting.

Anyway, just gained access to the UN part of the station. Eager to see what comes next.

Yay! I love that game so much

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Saw Eternal Evil came out of early access. I know some people were positive on it a few months ago, has anyone else dived in? Still worth it?

I haven't actually touched it since the EA patch before the full release, but I think it's worth a buy. The game is impressive for a solo dev to have made imo, though it certainly shows through in the uh, writing of the plot. If you enjoy RE games at all, you will enjoy this game.

Just expect a certain level of gameplay jank. And don't play it on Hard.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I figured that's what was going on. People who like Silent Hill 2 will probably also like Je t'aime, je t'aime https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Je_t%27aime,_je_t%27aime

The song that plays when James is watching the tape and finding out the truth is also excellent, and I don't usually like Video Game music

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Was there ever a Silent Hill album with some vocal tracks? I feel like I pirated them decades ago but they don’t seem to exist on Apple Music

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Consummate Professional posted:

Was there ever a Silent Hill album with some vocal tracks? I feel like I pirated them decades ago but they don’t seem to exist on Apple Music

3, 4, and Homecoming all have vocal tracks off the top of my head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ruPmXpy7Kc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f4aWcnUXbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOSbEafTHfo

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
You're Not Here kicks rear end

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Man, One More Soul to the Call is way better than Homecoming deserved.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

CharlestonJew posted:

You're Not Here kicks rear end

unimportantguy posted:

Man, One More Soul to the Call is way better than Homecoming deserved.

yep 2 both

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Thank you this for exactly where I wanted https://youtu.be/muHQ9OIivUs

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Consummate Professional posted:

Thank you this for exactly where I wanted https://youtu.be/muHQ9OIivUs

:cheers:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

yep origins and shatmem too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfGe40lt11Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5hlM_Pytcc

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Every Silent Hill that isn't 1 features Mary Elizabeth McGlynn! Even the movies had original tunes (Waiting for You) made for it, that plays when Rose asks for directions at the gas station, and apparently one for the sequal (Silent Scream)

Also, the Silent Hill Soundbox (the most complete ost release at that time of 2011) featured once impossible to hear songs, like the extended Lost Carol.

Here's a comprehensive list, they all loving rule

https://silenthill.fandom.com/wiki/Mary_Elizabeth_McGlynn

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DT1fHUs-gA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rnVyH7xZKk

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And that's the second Silent Hill done. Just gonna put the whole of my thoughts in Spoilers instead of trying to sort 'em out, I assume most people in this thread have already played it.

I actually started out disliking the game a lot compared to the first, the controls took me a while to get used to and the hit response on enemies seemed far worse. The first dungeon as well was awful for me, I got so drat turned around and no joke the Three Coins puzzle was probably the one that had me at it the longest. Speaking of that I like the idea of riddles and action being separate, but I think at least on Normal/Normal it led to the balance being really odd. As I said the Coin puzzle took me a minute, but as I went through the game the puzzles became less and less challenging. The puzzle box, noose, and briefcase puzzle were trivial. And that head cube, I don't even know what I did to solve it, I just moved it around, walked through a door and watched the cheevo pop. Likewise the action quickly became tediously easy once I got over having to use melee weapons to save ammo, that is once I looked at my inventory and realized that I had hundreds of Shotgun and Pistol ammo and was still taking hits trying to use the iron bar. I had truck fulls of kits and drinks, and I never even popped an ampoule. The action didn't feel bad, barring the bosses, but It quickly became me opening a door, listening for the radio and then waiting to auto target something pop it and stomp it. Without the resource management of RE or any real enemy varitey, every monster is functionally the same with differing levels of speed, it feels more like a chore than a rewarding part of gameplay. Which is unfortunate because I do think It would be cool to play with the Hard riddles, but I don't want to go through the same gameplay loop of popping two zombies, checking six doors in a hallway, three of which open, and 1 of which that has anything more than a health kit or ammo. I wouldn't say I suffered through the gameplay but that is because the aesthetic and story are so interesting, at least after you meet Maria, but doing 80% the same thing so I can see one new ending and do five puzzles seems like a not great proposition to me.

But back to the aesthetic, that's one area I felt that 1 really missed on for me. It started alright but it felt a little generic creepy at times, y'know. Like blood on the ceilings, all dark, weird scraping noises. 2 does a lot to ameliorate that with how obvious it becomes that Jame's psyche is distorting the world. The weird hallways and holes he keeps flinging himself down to avoid confronting the truth, the weird pulsating holes in Angela's room, the Angel embedded in the door that supposed to forgive his sins, his own psyche stealing the nature of Silent Hills prison and Old Prison Camp and fusing it with his own feelings of being trapped in his guilt while casting himself as an executioner. All exquisite, it's a game that you can talk about on a higher level than the base plot. I can't tell you what Harry pouring acid over a hand clutching a key is, but I can talk about what it means that James continually finds himself imprisoned, as executioner, or executee. The game is suffused with metaphor that begs for interpretation even if I believe some of the character work is a bit weak. Specifically with Eddie, early on I'd had a theory that all the Male characters were outgrowths of James' own view of himself, so Pyramid Head is an awful monster that exists to murder the woman he loves and Eddie is his inherent sloth and unwillingness to do anything actionable and the self loathing that resulted, and that the Female characters were his different interpretations of Mary. Angela was the one in the depths of despair and is used to show Jame's self righteousness that he can tell her not to die when he's not suffered at all, but then when she's an inconvenience to him he murders her. Laura is her childish side that he could never get a grasp on and despite wanting to protect, also felt disgust towards. And Maria was his quote unquote ideal partner, not sick or dead, but supportive and flirtatious and yet the sickness of Mary still came out in her sickness and temperamental behavior when she's left alone.

Of course that Falls apart when you realize that James Angela and Eddie are all real people, and it works fine with Angela. You can feel her suffering unravel and hope that she manages to come out it the other side just like James did, in my ending at least. Eddie however felt more like a Dead Rising Psychopath than a real human. Partially his mannerism and his voice acting, but when you put a rape survivor and man who murdered his wife into the game, you'd think the third side of that triangle would be more interesting than a man sad he's fat, that strikes back with a gat. Like dude, just call yourself a powerlifter, jesus.

I was legit confused about Laura though, she must be a shade of some type if she met Mary last year. But unless I missed something it seems like she just disappears from the narrative after James watches the Tape.

Looking at the other endings, I do think there's an pretty interesting ethical dilemma that could really lead to some interesting discussion. I got the "Leave" ending where he fully embraces his grief, role in the death of Mary, and allows himself to move past it. But looking at the Maria ending, is it really so wrong for him to move on with another woman after three years? Obviously it's hosed up with her being a ghost who represents an idealized form of Mary, but from her perspective she's been nothing but supportive and encouraging towards James, only to get pumped full of lead because he can't get over a woman long dead. She's a real tragic character, born for one purpose that cannot ever be fulfilled if you believe that she would also come down with the same cancer that Mary did. And the Rebirth ending is just bewildering to me, you need to have already beat the game, collect a bunch of things and then your reward is James going so insane that he believes he can harness the delusional nature of Silent Hill to live with Mary again?

I can see why this game appeals to so many people and on such a deep level, certainly it's got it's share of problems. But almost every large game that does a deep dive on a person's psychology does e.g. Persona 1, Umineko EP7. But given how few games even attempt to do anything more than have boring stock characters say boring things at each other 2 really stands out as an exemplar of a game that tries and mostly succeeds at being intellectually and psychologically stimulating. That said, I don't think I'll ever play it again, or at least not for a long while. And it doesn't really feel much like the first game at all. The first game dealt with Alessa's mind state, but it was pretty clear that there was actual magic going on in the town. This game it seems takes place almost entirely inside Jame's head. It's as if the whole nature of Silent Hill has changed already.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

On your timeline issue with one character.

Mary died a looooot less long ago than James thinks in the beginning of the game. Like, a lot less. A couple days before the game.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

On your timeline issue with one character.

Mary died a looooot less long ago than James thinks in the beginning of the game. Like, a lot less. A couple days before the game.

So when He's talking of Killing her he mean's purely metaphorically. I thought that what had happened is that he murdered her when she came back home for her last visit that she says she was going to get. Then James spent the last three years getting wasted and feeling sad before he got the letter, which I assumed was actually the one that Laura was talking about but his grief instead drove him to Silent Hill and the last place her and he were happy under the delusion that she might still be alive.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

So when He's talking of Killing her he mean's purely metaphorically. I thought that what had happened is that he murdered her when she came back home for her last visit that she says she was going to get. Then James spent the last three years getting wasted and feeling sad before he got the letter, which I assumed was actually the one that Laura was talking about but his grief instead drove him to Silent Hill and the last place her and he were happy under the delusion that she might still be alive.

Nah, it's not metaphorical. James straight up smothered her with a pillow. He's just particularly delusional about it, and is not just repressing how she died, but also when she did. There are also implications that the letter never really existed in the first place, either being a delusion on James' part or a manifestation by the town to draw him in. It's never spelled out exactly how long ago James'killed Mary, but it is at most a couple days.

Laura got her own real letter from Mary, which Mary had specifically asked to be given to her once she had passed.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Gaius Marius posted:

I was legit confused about Laura though, she must be a shade of some type if she met Mary last year. But unless I missed something it seems like she just disappears from the narrative after James watches the Tape.

I had been under the impression that the Silent Hill of this game was a functioning town, and that only "chosen" people were in ghost town/hell mode--so Laura was presumably there with adults doing her own stuff and occasionally slipping into James' dimension. Like how SH 3 starts with Heather in a perfectly normal mall with customers before it goes Silent Hill on her.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I spent far too much of my teens pouring over that gamefaqs Silent Hill lore deep dive. It posited there were three different dimensions of the town I think? It's been a minute

With Laura just go with whatever makes the story better to you. Is she real? Is she James's self forgiveness? Is she a figment the town is using to guide James to realization? A combo of those?

Gaius have you played 3? Your last paragraph leads me to think you'd like it a lot

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 5, 2022

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

I spent far too much of my teens pouring over that gamefaqs Silent Hill lore deep dive. It posited there were three different dimensions of the town I think? It's been a minute

Iirc the three worlds concept is word of god, there being normal world, "misty" inbetween world and Ye RustBlode Towne.

I like SH3 more than 2, but the reality is significant portions of all three games were so impressive/good/impactful as a function of luck and aesthetic novelty.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Iirc the three worlds concept is word of god, there being normal world, "misty" inbetween world and Ye RustBlode Towne.

I like SH3 more than 2, but the reality is significant portions of all three games were so impressive/good/impactful as a function of luck and aesthetic novelty.

Should not there be 5 worlds than? If it's Normal, Misty, and then one nightmare for each prisoner

Argue posted:

I had been under the impression that the Silent Hill of this game was a functioning town, and that only "chosen" people were in ghost town/hell mode--so Laura was presumably there with adults doing her own stuff and occasionally slipping into James' dimension. Like how SH 3 starts with Heather in a perfectly normal mall with customers before it goes Silent Hill on her.

Yeah this and what Robot are saying track, I think I just got so hungup on her being a Shade that I didn't take her words seriously.

Also starting 3, this game is absolutely gorgeous. Better than most PS3 games, you can really tell the time that went into the lighting and model work. I think I've already seen more unique modeling just in the mall than in all of 2. I'm on the fence about the action so far, it seems to be going in a RE3 direction emphasizing the action with being able to move while aiming and having already a large amount of differing enemy types.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 5, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

really appreciating that shadow of rose does what i was hoping for, where rose, on realizing that the spooky inception dream she's stuck in is drawing on her childhood trauma to torment her, just goes, "yeah, yeah, i get it. gently caress you," which is both a shockingly uncommon and entirely appropriate reaction

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Gaius Marius posted:

Should not there be 5 worlds than? If it's Normal, Misty, and then one nightmare for each prisoner

I don't think so- the subjectivity of the Otherworld seems to be a reflection of the characters, but it's still a world they all coexist in. That said the whole thing's very inconsistently depicted, and I don't necessarily mean as a result of any deliberate or good design.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I finally finished Alien: Isolation and drat the game really just kinda ends huh? After a bunch of climax and the longest escape sequence in history it's just like... you see one last alien and hit the airlock and it just fuckin hard cuts to you floating in space, credits, the end. It feels REALLY abrupt. Not unearned I guess because I don't think an Alien rear end Alien game could really end with you escape happy ending, no uncertain future, but I wish it at least showed the alien hurtling into space or something.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

And that's the second Silent Hill done. Just gonna put the whole of my thoughts in Spoilers instead of trying to sort 'em out, I assume most people in this thread have already played it.

But looking at the Maria ending, is it really so wrong for him to move on with another woman after three years? Obviously it's hosed up with her being a ghost who represents an idealized form of Mary, but from her perspective she's been nothing but supportive and encouraging towards James, only to get pumped full of lead because he can't get over a woman long dead. She's a real tragic character, born for one purpose that cannot ever be fulfilled if you believe that she would also come down with the same cancer that Mary did.

I think the point of the Maria ending is that James doesn't move on. (edit: Like he's basically just pointing at a woman and saying "you're Mary now," and trying to relive that relationship through Maria) And yeah it sucks for Maria but Silent Hill is a cruel place that hates people. It's not trying to punish people for their sins, it just wants to hurt people and seeks out the most vulnerable people to hurt. Making life just so that it can suffer is well within its wheelhouse - that's basically Lisa in SH1.

Eddie I think is best understood in the context of the game's musings about guilt. Angela in the game is guilty only in the sense she did definitely kill some people, but also like come the gently caress on, while Eddie is over there killing people for things that yeah suck but don't justify violence. And while Angela feels guilty, Eddie really doesn't. James sort of sits somewhere in between the two of them.

Also I think the date James initially says Mary died is actually the date she got sick. I don't remember exactly why I think that, I think there was something in Brookhaven or somewhere that indicated Mary was diagnosed about three years before the game starts.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 5, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Looking at the other endings, I do think there's an pretty interesting ethical dilemma that could really lead to some interesting discussion. I got the "Leave" ending where he fully embraces his grief, role in the death of Mary, and allows himself to move past it. But looking at the Maria ending, is it really so wrong for him to move on with another woman after three years? Obviously it's hosed up with her being a ghost who represents an idealized form of Mary, but from her perspective she's been nothing but supportive and encouraging towards James, only to get pumped full of lead because he can't get over a woman long dead. She's a real tragic character, born for one purpose that cannot ever be fulfilled if you believe that she would also come down with the same cancer that Mary did.

You have to reach out to the truth instead of accepting life in the fog. Huh, that wannabe pithy P4 reference is actually very fitting here, isn't it.

There are so many stories where the big moral is "Pursue Truth No Matter What" even when everybody, including our heroes, would be happier without it. The Truth is said to heal in our fiction, which is probably the biggest fiction of them all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TGLT posted:

And yeah it sucks for Maria but Silent Hill is a cruel place that hates people. It's not trying to punish people for their sins, it just wants to hurt people and seeks out the most vulnerable people to hurt.

this fundamentally misunderstands the second game's entire plot

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

You have to reach out to the truth instead of accepting life in the fog. Huh, that wannabe pithy P4 reference is actually very fitting here, isn't it.

There are so many stories where the big moral is "Pursue Truth No Matter What" even when everybody, including our heroes, would be happier without it. The Truth is said to heal in our fiction, which is probably the biggest fiction of them all.

I mean James accepts the truth in the In Water ending as well, and that doesn't exactly go well for him.

Oxxidation posted:

this fundamentally misunderstands the second game's entire plot

Not really? The narrative why of Silent Hill's actions does doesn't change what occurs within it. Silent Hill, the fictional space that was created by an abused psychic child, isn't really that important of a character in SH2, and the reasons why it - the psychic evil hell space born out of hatred - lures in the people it does isn't relevant to the game's ideas about guilt and trauma. It's more like justification for why these three people ended up in a place that reflects their trauma back at them.

edit: Like you can draw comparisons between purgatory and hell for Silent Hill the setting, but Silent Hill the character - to the extent to which it comes across as a sapient force of nature - mostly just seems motivated by malice. James is only capable of leaving on his own terms or its - either by moving on from his trauma enough to move beyond its influence or by accepting a piece of Silent Hill that guarantees he'll relive his trauma again.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Nov 5, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

TGLT posted:

Not really?

yes really. the silent hill in the second game isn't the same as it is in the others - or if you prefer, it's more like shamanistic crucible that it used to be before alessa's torture warped it. it has no motivating force and no malicious intent. it doesn't contain anything except what the people who enter it bring with them. saying that it's "a bad place that hates people" isn't just wrong-headed and reductive, it totally misunderstands the character dynamics and ordeals that the main cast go through and what makes the game so enduring and unique (and badly imitated)

TGLT posted:

James is only capable of leaving on his own terms or its

also wrong. for half the game the town's exit is wide open. james won't leave for the same reason that he entered in the first place, because he's suicidal and deludedly searching for something to alleviate or acknowledge his guilt. the game opens with him staring into a mirror and continues in that vein right up until the credits

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 5, 2022

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I finished the "Mind" ending( of The Chant and honestly it's a pretty decent if very standard horror game. Nothing in it will surprise you if you are even remotely familiar with the genre, but it's executed well enough. Decent scares and atmosphere with some puzzles that require a minute of some basic thinking but aren't likely to get you stuck. The Xp system is weird though, I had pretty much maxed out one type of XP before I even picked up the first item that actually let my buy stuff in the skill tree.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

yes really. the silent hill in the second game isn't the same as it is in the others - or if you prefer, it's more like shamanistic crucible that it used to be before alessa's torture warped it. it has no motivating force and no malicious intent. it doesn't contain anything except what the people who enter it bring with them. saying that it's "a bad place that hates people" isn't just wrong-headed and reductive, it totally misunderstands the character dynamics and ordeals that the main cast go through and what makes the game so enduring and unique (and badly imitated)

I just fundamentally don't agree with you. I don't think the idea that Silent Hill is just a malicious force at all conflicts with that. Its motivations, such as any exist, are ultimately not important to the meat of the story and the in-universe reasons why the place is the way it is are basically trivia.

Oxxidation posted:

also wrong.

See this is kind of what I'm talking about. In a literal in universe sense yes James can leave whenever he wants (edit: Well okay not literally, once he's crossed the threshold he's in). In a meaningful narrative sense no, he can not. He is in the story until he makes a "final" decision about what he's done and what he's suffered. In a literal sense Silent Hill is a malicious entity, at least in my opinion, and trying to project the story's ideas about trauma and guilt on to it (as if it were some sort of supernatural judge or therapist) is misunderstanding that (minor) character. edit: Not to suggest that Gaius Marius was saying that

2nd edit: Like why is Laura in the story? Because she forces James to confront the life Mary had outside of him. With the people who he has also hurt by murdering her. But in a literal sense, the how? Because Silent Hill lets her in just enough to interact with James, but it either can't or won't drag her all the way in. There is a division between Silent Hill the character that exists to mechanistically explain how things can be happening - how three people who did the same thing and are dealing with the same issues ended up in the same place at the same time or how ooky monsters are running around - and the narrative role the location serves. I don't think seeing Silent Hill the character as malevolent undermines anything because SH2 just really is not about it.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

AngryRobotsInc posted:

There are also implications that the letter never really existed in the first place, either being a delusion on James' part or a manifestation by the town to draw him in

Also the SH2 letter is real, or is at least based on a real one Mary wrote for James. You get to hear the rest of it in the epilogue and it's her farewell letter. While I remember there being stuff about people being drawn to Silent Hill, the letter wasn't created (specifically) to do that.