Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The World Inferno posted:

Was that the second task they re-used from TM NZ? It felt a lot more confusing than the original.

I completely forgot about it! Just rewatched the original, and Alex has significantly improved the task by allowing the 30 second leeway and also by asking random questions. And it's still too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That paint task was diabolical

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

As soon as they showed the room I said "hello New Zealand".

All the tasks felt pretty special or different and everyone had some good moments. Really great episode.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Alex has significantly improved the task...

I competely disagree. But I will say that Alex's personality plays a large part in why it needed to be changed. He's got too many seasons of being devious to be trusted. Paul is a completely trustworthy sadboy.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Whether or not it's better for us, putting a time limit on it has got to be better for them. They filmed one of the NZ dudes for 84 minutes.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

That was David tho so it was funny.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Hmm... It looked like there was a giant task on the lab floor?

Edit: Munya definitely didn't finish that second task. I'm with Dara on this one.

itry fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Nov 4, 2022

nerox
May 20, 2001

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I competely disagree. But I will say that Alex's personality plays a large part in why it needed to be changed. He's got too many seasons of being devious to be trusted. Paul is a completely trustworthy sadboy.

Yeah if Alex started asking me a lot of weird questions, while also telling me I can open a task but he recommends not opening it, I would be very suspicious of it.

I love that apparently the lab smelled awful from milk under the floor during Munya's task filming days.

Also, how in the world did Greg never mention Munya's comment of Constipated Eagle while holding the milk jugs.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I think the 30 second leeway was much better. The NZ one they had no time to come up with anything clever. Here they had a genuine chance to not gently caress up once they opened the task.

The fuckup of ripping the task quick is funny, but it’s even funnier when they double gently caress up by not using the 30 seconds wisely. It also gives the chance for significantly more variety than “who can hold heavy things longer.” I think it feels worse or the same because no one did anything clever wit the time, but it woulda been really fun if someone had done something clever with the 30 seconds.

I mean look at the reaction Sarah got for pouring out the milk. Wouldn’t it have been hilarious watching someone scramble to rip the lids off the jugs and dump the milk as quickly as possible?

On some entirely side notes…

John has grown on me every episode. I think it may have been a comfort thing in the first EPs of the studio, but he’s much looser. Plus it feels the rest of the cast has figured out how to banter with him proper.

Dara is a genius for prepping that wait what line on the paint task. He knew it was coming and it landed 100% perfect.

Fern is just perfect. I love everything about her, and it’s really kinda cool to see some neurodiversity on the show. She approaches stuff so differently sometimes, and when she can’t the anger is really fun. And her weird rear end energy is so unique from the typical taskmaster archetypes of smart/wise/clever goofball, odd older person, weirdly athletic with too much energy, young naive person, loud an obnoxious, and the person who just doesn’t understand how the show works.

I don’t mean to say I hate those archetypes at all. I think the show early on found what works best and the casting is generally excellent. Those personalities work really really well for the show, and they blend them in each season well. It’s just nice to have someone who feels like they’re breaking the casting mold. There’s been a few people like that (Rhod Gilbert and Mike Woz are the 2 that come to mind), but no one is like Fern.

We were blessed this year with taskmaster. OG Season 13 > NZ season 3 > OG Season 14 with like a 2 week break between each was great, but now we’re gonna have a long, taskmasterless gap and I’m sad.

nerox posted:

Yeah if Alex started asking me a lot of weird questions, while also telling me I can open a task but he recommends not opening it, I would be very suspicious of it.

I love that apparently the lab smelled awful from milk under the floor during Munya's task filming days.

Also, how in the world did Greg never mention Munya's comment of Constipated Eagle while holding the milk jugs.

This was a packed EP. I bet that he did and it was cut.

That’s the genius of Alex’s deviousness. He’s very clever, and does it in so many different ways, that it’s very very hard to pregame a task. Sometimes it’s exactly as it seems, and sometimes they purposely make you think you figured out how to game it, but attempting to game it sets you up for failure. The task could have very easily been “most milk in the jugs wins” or “the time ends when the microwave dings, shortest time wins” or whatever.

They do it the opposite all the time like “the time started when you entered the room” and then he purposely delays you from opening the task.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 4, 2022

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Munya shouldn't have gotten style points, his routine wasn't mirrored, he just did the same thing

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

But if you place 2 mirrors at 90 degrees you get the same thing, so maybe he was twice as mirrored as everyone else.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Boxturret posted:

Munya shouldn't have gotten style points, his routine wasn't mirrored, he just did the same thing

Hear, hear!

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Paladinus posted:

I really appreciate musical comedy and I trust Alex with this one. Also, John Oliver is there for some reason?
Halfway through the first episode, seems like its more of a straightforward sitcom that has occasional musical bits. Its good!

As for John Oliver, they both know each other from their uni days so probably started comedy together.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
For the mirroring task I wonder if any contestants did what came to my mind which was to put Alex on the moving walkway and tell him to stand still. Could then put some music on and match the pace with Alex and memorize moves to go with music. Would make the second pass on the walkway a ton easier. The only real challenge then would be not going overboard on the choreography and accidentally ending up doing it non-mirrored, Munya-style. Or just forgetting the whole routine I guess.

I feel like nobody would be able to do the paint task without breaking one of the rules.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

For the mirroring task I wonder if any contestants did what came to my mind which was to put Alex on the moving walkway and tell him to stand still. Could then put some music on and match the pace with Alex and memorize moves to go with music. Would make the second pass on the walkway a ton easier. The only real challenge then would be not going overboard on the choreography and accidentally ending up doing it non-mirrored, Munya-style. Or just forgetting the whole routine I guess.

I feel like nobody would be able to do the paint task without breaking one of the rules.

10 minute timer makes this very difficult when you need 2 full minutes to complete the task itself.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

My first thought was just to throw something like the task on the moving bit, then you just have to keep the same relative position to it on both runs.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

10 minute timer makes this very difficult when you need 2 full minutes to complete the task itself.

The only drawback is you can't speed up each attempt, but that is well worth it I would say - besides I thought he said it took 1:25 and not 2 minutes? Don't think any of them did it faster than ~45 seconds anyway so you're at let's say half as many attempts, but you don't have to worry about matching pace at all. 10 mins is pretty strict to try and memorize anything that isn't simple enough to successfully choreograph in a couple attempts anyway. You could pick another idea for timing the choreography, I just picked music as an easy one to memorize along with.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

The only drawback is you can't speed up each attempt, but that is well worth it I would say - besides I thought he said it took 1:25 and not 2 minutes? Don't think any of them did it faster than ~45 seconds anyway so you're at let's say half as many attempts, but you don't have to worry about matching pace at all. 10 mins is pretty strict to try and memorize anything that isn't simple enough to successfully choreograph in a couple attempts anyway. You could pick another idea for timing the choreography, I just picked music as an easy one to memorize along with.

1 min per walk maximum, so 1 minute per side. Plus reset time between each side. Plus they need to plan the movement and figure out a sync system.

I dunno, there’s certainly ways to game the task like you’ve suggested, but it was simple enough that it wasn’t necessitated. Just like counting out the beats should have been enough.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I was surprised none of them tried just riding on the rubber bannister thing, (though maybe safety protocols or physical reality stopped them, dunno how much power they have) cause it was "get to the end of the lanes" right and not walk?

You just had to do it stylishly so could have a leg on either side for the mirror part and then just hop off onto either side at the end and basically bank on the fact that they're not perfectly mirrored right at the end cause you know everyone is probably not gonna perfectly mirror everything.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Nov 4, 2022

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

thebardyspoon posted:

I was surprised none of them tried just riding on the rubber bannister thing, (though maybe safety protocols or physical reality stopped them, dunno how much power they have) cause it was "get to the end of the lanes" right and not walk?

You just had to do it stylishly so could have a leg on either side for the mirror part and then just hop off onto either side at the end and basically bank on the fact that they're not perfectly mirrored right at the end cause you know everyone is probably not gonna perfectly mirror everything.

There was a camera strapped to it. I suspect they wouldn’t have been able to.

Also the task is walk. Knowing the show Greg woulda 100% pulled points for riding that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"He's not on the crucifix, is he" is a line worth waiting six episodes for.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The team task in the latest Kongen Befaler and the reactions after has to be in the Top 5 funniest tasks in the entire Taskmaster franchise.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The thing is any approach to the mirroring task that doesn't involve walking on the moving walkway doesn't work because Alex pointed out to Dara (and I presume the other contestants but they didn't bother to repeat it in the edit) that standing still on the walkway takes longer than a minute to reach the end.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Well yes, considering none of them were over the time it seems that everyone understood that

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I would simply have drank the milk.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

oh cool they put up the second series of Kongen Befaler on the youtube channel

...wait, nearly half the cast is the same:thunk:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I really like the music they used for Sarah Millican's walk. It's just so weird.

And of course, this season has a running theme of leading with the more boring (and successful) takes on a task first in a way that makes you wonder what conflict would there ever be.

thebardyspoon posted:

It wouldn't go fast enough. They already said that just standing on the moving sidewalk wouldn't be fast enough.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That paint task was diabolical

I wouldn't really call it diabolical, it's more just hammering so many rules that one of them's gonna get missed at some point. The camera that goes so much further above the bucket when they're going through all those obstacles makes it just ridiculous.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I feel like the "keep your hands below your waist" as a disqualifying factor kind of doomed everybody to failure. It might have worked a bit better if instead of being a hard rule you just got some kind of time penalty every time you raised your arms.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
For those of you that didn't immediately catch the milk room task being a repeat of Taskmaster NZ, you really, REALLY should watch season two of Taskmaster NZ. It's better than most of the UK seasons. Seasons 1 and 3 were ok, but 2 is required viewing for Taskmaster fans. Seriously, its fantastic.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I really like the music they used for Sarah Millican's walk. It's just so weird.

It’s the same music they used for the “Copy Alex” task in series 12 where they had to replicate the dance he did in the church. I find it strangely charming.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Superrodan posted:

For those of you that didn't immediately catch the milk room task being a repeat of Taskmaster NZ, you really, REALLY should watch season two of Taskmaster NZ. It's better than most of the UK seasons. Seasons 1 and 3 were ok, but 2 is required viewing for Taskmaster fans. Seriously, its fantastic.

NZ S3 is worth it for “‘Scuse you’re loving mouth?!”

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://twitter.com/DaftLimmy/status/1588869383610593281?t=Kur8egXyKKHQTO9ld0X3zA&s=19

Maybe he'll do it one day after all...

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Amazing interactions.

Also, I've watched 3 episodes of Horne Section, and they actually do some music videos. I don't know if any songs are new, but I love this song now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwjdS7uYsvo

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Fern inspiring people everywhere.

Paladinus posted:

Amazing interactions.

Also, I've watched 3 episodes of Horne Section, and they actually do some music videos. I don't know if any songs are new, but I love this song now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwjdS7uYsvo

They've played it on The Last Leg, I think... 3 years ago? Post COVID times are a blur.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I think they wrote one show about 20 years ago and have been doing it since.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Warms my heart after hearing her talk about feeling bad about getting the trait 'tired' and generally being disappointed with how she did that she's still encouraging others to do it.

Limmy would be *incredible*. Imagine they book years in advance, so here's looking forward to him showing up in series 18.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

itry posted:

They've played it on The Last Leg, I think... 3 years ago? Post COVID times are a blur.
Yep. Worth it just for the reactions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74UZNexK8a4

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SU-SgpllVSc

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I think taskmaster nz series 3 mostly suffers for coming after series 2 (which I would probably put as my favorite taskmaster series period, though 4,5, and 9 are up there too) and it's a perfectly good series of television in its own right.

1 had a lot of growing pains (probably caused at least in part by a shoestring budget) but there were some good bits. I think the prize tasks were generally stronger than they've been on the UK series for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
Taskmaster NZ adjacent, they're currently filming a studio version of Guy Montgomery's Guy Mont Spelling Bee. Expect to see a lot of TM contestants on it (as we've used up 80% of our supply of comedians already).