Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Vermintide II finally finished downloading (from yesterday evening, lol). Now I’m going to try Deep Rock Galactic alone for a bit to see how video/keybinds/etc sets up.

Anything I need to do for either game before I try to join up with others? Noticed VTII had “original” and “modded” servers (haven’t looked at DRG in game yet)…is there one goons play more regularly so I won’t spend hours learning the ropes and end up in the wrong place?

Edit:
Also, does either VTII or DRG play differently/better with either controller or should I stick to KB&M? More comfortable with KB&M, but if I'm just starting to learn I gotta train up muscle memory anyways...

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

PowerBeard posted:

None of you posting your 800 hours of VR Sex games, where you carefully sculpt their bodies till they become a massive pulsing mess of genitals, crying for mercy and you to touch them.

Only 800 hours? Amateur

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

PowerBeard posted:

None of you posting your 800 hours of VR Sex games, where you carefully sculpt their bodies till they become a massive pulsing mess of genitals, crying for mercy and you to touch them.

It’s hard to get 800 hours in 30 second increments.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Mescal posted:

it's interesting to see how little my tastes match up with most of the screenshots. I think there were two of them that looked like me. that shows how genre-ically and stylistically attuned y'all are when you offer recommendations: most people out there will simply recommend their favorite games.

I'm certainly not going to recommend games I didn't like.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

PowerBeard posted:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mescal posted:

it's interesting to see how little my tastes match up with most of the screenshots. I think there were two of them that looked like me. that shows how genre-ically and stylistically attuned y'all are when you offer recommendations: most people out there will simply recommend their favorite games.

here's mine

it omits--for reasons of piracy--sekiro and elden ring, both of which i enjoyed, but includes dark souls iii, which i hated but am playing again now on steam deck. (i thought maybe after elden ring I "got it.") It omits Divinity OSII. Gog says 210 hours, so probably total over 250 with Switch play. Tactical gridbased turnbased 2d combat barely registers, surprisingly. Fire emblems aren't listed for obvious reasons. If there's a nonsteam game that would top this list, it'd be dr mario.

the top two, spelunky and stardew, i was playing before i quit drinking. those hours are either forgotten or they're just from leaving it on overnight.

question: does anybody know how to not get dl-speed datacapped by steam's servers? mine have always been slow, on every device with every type of internet connection.

Hi5 fellow Spelunky obsessive.

The highest speeds I've been about to get are like 12mb/s, I think that's as much as the server is going to give you. I know in the old days you could set your location to an eastern european country or something, but I don't think that helps anymore.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

At least they don't have 140 hours in Last Evil https://store.steampowered.com/app/823910/Last_Evil/

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

i think we have very different perspectives on how close 3815 is to 10k

All I'm saying is I have 50% more hours logged than the upper limit you cited. I'm almost 40% of the way there, if my love for the game hasn't diminished by now it's hard to imagine it will any more in the future.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Sab669 posted:

All I'm saying is I have 50% more hours logged than the upper limit you cited. I'm almost 40% of the way there, if my love for the game hasn't diminished by now it's hard to imagine it will any more in the future.

a lot can happen in 15 years though, which is how long it will take you to hit 10,000 hours of playtime if you continue to play dota 2 at the same overall rate (breaks and all).

edit: and like no shade or anything if that's the plan and you're sticking to it, i'm just saying 25 years of playing the exact same videogame, or even 10 for that matter, is just absolutely not something i could ever see myself doing. 5's probably ok, i've been playing deep rock galactic for about 5 although i feel like i'm pretty done with it.

super late edit but i can’t stop turning the numbers over in my head, to hit 640 days worth of dota 2 at your current rate, taking into account your 10 years already invested and a bunch of rounding, means you’d have to keep at it for over 27 more years

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 5, 2022

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Has anyone here tried The Chant? Looks like a Lovecraftian Midsommar. It's only come out yesterday, but I just discovered it and it looks neat, but wanted to get some opinions how it plays.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Rimworld recently became the first game to break 1000 hours
Path of Exile and Warframe hours are massively inflated by the fact that when I was playing those games they would be running pretty much 24/7 even when I was sleeping
Slay the Spire is only on there because I played it at work for like a year. I don't even like it that much.
X-Com 2 I didn't even play that much of, I'm pretty certain at least 180 of those 300 hours are just configuring mods.

Actually all of these feature a lot of idle/afk time because I play games in short bursts but often leave them running between sessions so I guess I don't play video games quite as much as I thought, but 1000 hours still feels unfathomable

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Almost all of that Starbound time was from back when closing the game didn't exit the launcher and Steam would record that the game was still running until you noticed. The 11th game is the non-anniversary edition of Titan Quest with another 95 hours.

e: My Animal Crossing play time on the Switch is where the real shame lives

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm growing convinced that 100% of Marvel Heroes' playerbase came from these forums, no wonder they shut it down.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Mordja posted:

I'm growing convinced that 100% of Marvel Heroes' playerbase came from these forums, no wonder they shut it down.

I was trying to get each hero to a level that matched their colour scheme. Got Hawkeye to purple.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner
Not Steam, but I had over 400 days in World of Warcraft when I quit, and that was in 2012.

I played a lot but never even got into actual raiding, so I'm sure there are people in this thread pushing 30k hours by this point.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

haha what posted:

i have 90 hours in yakuza 0 and i reccomend you all do the same

Sorry I failed you, I have 142 hours in Yakuza 0 instead :smith:
And 111 hours in Yakuza Kiwami
98 in Kiwami 2
169 in Yakuza 3
118 in Yakuza 4
164 in Yakuza 5
92 in Yakuza 6 but I still have a New Game+ run to do.

Plus Like a Dragon still to come, and Judgment, and Lost Judgment, and Like a Dragon Kenshin, and the new Kiryu game, and Like A Dragon 2 and .... holy poo poo that's a lot of Yakuza.

rox
Sep 7, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

98 in Kiwami 2
169 in Yakuza 3
118 in Yakuza 4
164 in Yakuza 5

Plus Like a Dragon still to come, and Judgment, and Lost Judgment, and Like a Dragon Kenshin, and the new Kiryu game, and Like A Dragon 2 and .... holy poo poo that's a lot of Yakuza.

now this... this is a gamer

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Mordja posted:

i had literally never heard of it until this

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

Marvel Heroes ruled

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

98 in Kiwami 2
169 in Yakuza 3
118 in Yakuza 4
164 in Yakuza 5

understandable. you can play pool

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

haha what posted:

now this... this is a gamer

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

apropos of nothing I finally picked up Katana ZERO and finished it tonight

fantastic gameplay, but that ending was deeply unsatisfying for a story i was actually pretty interested in. maybe it hits different if you're not a suspicious bastard who's fully aware of the Unreliable Narrator nature of dreams in storytelling

(e) tho i hear there's dlc coming? so that's cool

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

signalis, is very good

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mordja posted:

they also had their own forums built on shaky web code designed to stop us from giving dislikes and lols to their native posters.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Not as good as Sonic Heroes

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

bovis posted:

Marvel Heroes ruled

It sure did

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
god do i miss marble herons

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Parallelwoody posted:

I like seeing playtime stuff cause it gives me a good idea if I missed some banger games that others love and actually have staying power.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Mordja posted:

e:

HopperUK posted:

I was trying to get each hero to a level that matched their colour scheme. Got Hawkeye to purple.

I did the same thing with half the roster, but I'm not that masochistic

Cool Kids Club Soda fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 5, 2022

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

I was a little surprised that I hadn't cracked the 1000-hour mark on any game. Got close with Path of Exile at 942

Edit: and then I realised that I'd have spent many hours using the stand-alone client before moving to the Steam one. Oh no...

Cheap Trick fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 5, 2022

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Cowcaster posted:

i can't comprehend the kind of game that i could play for ten thousand hours without being absolutely bored sick of it

Same, but like 200 hours

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Oxxidation posted:

Ghost Song is the most unabashedly souls-like game i've played in a while. it has the whole package - limited renewable heals, stamina cooldowns, save system that restores enemies, XP that doubles as currency and can be obtained from enemies and hidden treasure drops, scattered npc's who speak their cryptic lines in a delivery both exhausted and portentous

does a very good job with all of it, though. it might also be the "purest" melding of dark souls and metroid so far. games like hollow knight take cues from it but ghost song is literally "metroid, but samus is the chosen undead"

Yeah I'm really enjoying how unabashedly the game draws from Metroid, specifically. There are some "2d dark souls" games out there that get called Metroidvanias but this is much closer to an actual Metroid game than any of those

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I enjoy how distinctly uncomfortable the protagonist in Ghost Song seems to be at every single interaction she has with anything sentient. This is also a metroidvania that passes my "Go Left" test with flying colors, a test I give every new Metroidvania I play: Can I go left immediately after gaining control? If so, is there any reward for doing so? On the offchance the "obvious progress direction" is left, reverse it with "Go Right" but that's incredibly rare.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Got 940 something hours on RimWorld but I'm pretty sure at least 200 are idling in the main menu and testing mod stuff.
VRChat on the other hand I have like 700 hours in and I don't even have VR.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

DerekSmartymans posted:

Vermintide II finally finished downloading (from yesterday evening, lol). Now I’m going to try Deep Rock Galactic alone for a bit to see how video/keybinds/etc sets up.

Anything I need to do for either game before I try to join up with others? Noticed VTII had “original” and “modded” servers (haven’t looked at DRG in game yet)…is there one goons play more regularly so I won’t spend hours learning the ropes and end up in the wrong place?

Edit:
Also, does either VTII or DRG play differently/better with either controller or should I stick to KB&M? More comfortable with KB&M, but if I'm just starting to learn I gotta train up muscle memory anyways...

Can't speak for controller vs M&KB but almost everyone plays original servers at this point.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i recently replayed flame in the flood and got the 100mi achievement before tempting fate by trying to steal from a bear but don't really want to go dive back into the game again.. anyone have any recommendations for a similar gameplay style? looking for survival but not horror. i tried the long winter it seemed all right but i'm looking for others. basically the whole scavenging for items to craft items to help you kinda thing. looking for around $30 or less

Mescal posted:

here's mine

it omits--for reasons of piracy--sekiro and elden ring, both of which i enjoyed, but includes dark souls iii, which i hated but am playing again now on steam deck. (i thought maybe after elden ring I "got it.") It omits Divinity OSII. Gog says 210 hours, so probably total over 250 with Switch play. Tactical gridbased turnbased 2d combat barely registers, surprisingly. Fire emblems aren't listed for obvious reasons. If there's a nonsteam game that would top this list, it'd be dr mario.

the top two, spelunky and stardew, i was playing before i quit drinking. those hours are either forgotten or they're just from leaving it on overnight.

question: does anybody know how to not get dl-speed datacapped by steam's servers? mine have always been slow, on every device with every type of internet connection.

how is wartale? that looks interesting

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1588456370709446657

please please please pLEAse please

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I played way too much Star Trek Online, a gad game, until the monetisation of that game got so awful it pushed me away.
Never actually finished Witcher 3, so that's two abandoned playthroughs. Surprised Arkham Knight, the worst game in the Arkham series is so high, but I re-play games like that fairly often, the other Arkham games are probably higher, but there are different versions of Asylum and City for before and after GFWL was removed, so it's probably spread over those.

FFXIV's playtime is tracked as soon as you get to it's launcher, so some amount of that is the game downloading and updating, since it doesn't update through Steam. But I fully admit the actual playtime without that is pretty drat high.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

Strong Sauce posted:

i recently replayed flame in the flood and got the 100mi achievement before tempting fate by trying to steal from a bear but don't really want to go dive back into the game again.. anyone have any recommendations for a similar gameplay style? looking for survival but not horror. i tried the long winter it seemed all right but i'm looking for others. basically the whole scavenging for items to craft items to help you kinda thing. looking for around $30 or less

how is wartale? that looks interesting

Card Survival? Scavenging for items doesn't really kick in until you get good at swimming and find the sunken ship. But you craft a whole bunch of stuff. Try the demo before you buy it, in retrospect a week would have been enough for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

I didn't expect there to be such a big drop of in hours played.