Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
You know what pisses me off? Idea guys. I had to tell off this idea guy because he wants someone to take his MatLab scripts and turn them into an application that computes wear and tear on drill bits in a full 3 dimensional physics simulator for the oil and gas industry that also runs on Android, IOS, PC, and as a web app. He seems completely clueless as to the staggering amount of work required to turn his idea into a working thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Did he offer to give you 20% of the profits if you built all that for him? Because that's my favourite part of the discussion with idea guys.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If the salary of the person deciding when to drag all the pipe out of a hole to change the drill bit could be replaced with an iOS app, it would have happened.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Oh; he can’t pay me yet. He needs me to make something so that he can apply for some kind of grant. Totally not a scam. Honest.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

tango alpha delta posted:

Oh; he can’t pay me yet. He needs me to make something so that he can apply for some kind of grant. Totally not a scam. Honest.
Just make an app that lets you put all the variables he thinks are important into some fields, and then when you hit "go" it says "replace bit now".

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Rick posted:

I don't suppose you know of one in southern Arizona? I'm satisfied with the quality of work of the one we use but they're too busy and the wait time on everything has gotten very long.

Afraid not, I’m based in Australia and we’re not taking international clients at the moment otherwise I’d be happy to set up a meeting.

tango alpha delta posted:

You know what pisses me off? Idea guys.

The most frustrating thing is the way they use the word “just”, like, taking their half-assed idea from a napkin sketch to an actual viable product, or completely reinventing your processes to address their one edge case, is no big deal, and if you don’t do it right now you’re just lazy, what are they even paying you for, etc.

Yeah I’ve had that conversation at least twice this week.

Bargearse fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 5, 2022

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Bargearse posted:

Afraid not, I’m based in Australia and we’re not taking international clients at the moment otherwise I’d be happy to set up a meeting.

The most frustrating thing is the way they use the word “just”, like, taking their half-assed idea from a napkin sketch to an actual viable product, or completely reinventing your processes to address their one edge case, is no big deal, and if you don’t do it right now you’re just lazy, what are they even paying you for, etc.

Yeah I’ve had that conversation at least twice this week.

Look, my Idea is amazing, and I just need you to build this custom CRM backend to support it and it'll be amazing! We'll make millions!*

*He'll make millions, and the agreement as far as he's willing to recall involved you doing it for 'the exposure'. In this case exposure to unlimited liability when the product breaks and someone is hurt as a result.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
pfsense.

I have pfsense running in a VM and powered it off to do some maintenance on the host. When I powered it back on I cannot ping it from the LAN side, but pinging the LAN IP address from the far side of an IPsec tunnel works and I can manage it just fine.

PC_A <----lan_A---> pfsense_LAN--pfsense_WAN<------IPsec_tunnel--->Sonicwall<---lan_B<---PC_B

PC_A cannot ping the lan_A pfsense interface but PC_B can.

What the hell?

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Nov 5, 2022

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Agrikk posted:

pfsense.

I have pfsense running in a VM and powered it off to do some maintenance on the host. When I powered it back on I cannot ping it from the LAN side, but pinging the LAN IP address from the far side of an IPsec tunnel works and I can manage it just fine.

PC_A <----lan_A---> pfsense_LAN--pfsense_WAN<------IPsec_tunnel--->Sonicwall<---lan_B<---PC_B

PC_A cannot ping the lan_A pfsense interface but PC_B can.

What the hell?

Does traffic from PC_A otherwise pass through pfsense ok? I saw you say you can manage it just fine but not sure if you manage it from PC_A. What does a tcpdump show? Dunno if pfsense logs traffic directed at interfaces but anything if so?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

rafikki posted:

Does traffic from PC_A otherwise pass through pfsense ok? I saw you say you can manage it just fine but not sure if you manage it from PC_A. What does a tcpdump show? Dunno if pfsense logs traffic directed at interfaces but anything if so?

No traffic from PC_A (or any other device on that side of the interface) leaves that LAN. Nor does the lan interface show any traffic passing though the any/any riles in the firewall for that interface. I can get to the management interface from PC_B.

and tcpdump only shows a bunch of arp who-has requests through that interface.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Agrikk posted:

No traffic from PC_A (or any other device on that side of the interface) leaves that LAN. Nor does the lan interface show any traffic passing though the any/any riles in the firewall for that interface. I can get to the management interface from PC_B.

and tcpdump only shows a bunch of arp who-has requests through that interface.

Well that’s interesting. Are the arp requests from pc_a for the firewall? No arp replies from the firewall? If it’s not arp requests from the pc, what does a packet capture on the pc show? Properly layer 2 addressed packets? Maybe try an arping from pfsense?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is pfSense running on AWS? Have you tried rebooting it first?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

rafikki posted:

Well that’s interesting. Are the arp requests from pc_a for the firewall? No arp replies from the firewall? If it’s not arp requests from the pc, what does a packet capture on the pc show? Properly layer 2 addressed packets? Maybe try an arping from pfsense?

The tcpdump was run on the pfSense box and the ARP request was for the IP address of PC_A.

It feels like PC_A is pinging the pfsense box but pfSense can't finds the MAC address of PC_A?

Thanks Ants posted:

Is pfSense running on AWS? Have you tried rebooting it first?

pfSense is running on my VMWare ESXi 7.0 cluster here at home. Yes I've rebooted.

The bonkers thing is that this is the second time I've experienced this phenomenon: About a month ago, after years of everything running just fine, I shut down all of my VMs and ESX hosts to perform an upgrade of FreeNAS 11 to TrueNAS 12. When I powered everything back up pfSense started doing this "can't ping from the LAN" stuff. I troubleshooted it for a bit but then decided to nuke the pfSense VM and rebuild it from scratch since it sits in front of my lab and only has a half-dozen IPsec tunnels and a few firewall rules.

Yesterday I powered off all my VMs again to do a full flatten-and-fresh-install of vSphere 7 on a VCSA appliance and ESXi 7 and when I powered up pfSense the same behavior showed up.

I could flatten and rebuild pfSense again (and maybe try restoring the config from backup) but I don't want this to be my ongoing solution every time I power it off.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can a VM in the same vnet as the pfSense LAN ping it? If you make a new vnet for the LAN does it work?

So don't touch the pfSense config, see if you can fix it in vmware.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

Can a VM in the same vnet as the pfSense LAN ping it? If you make a new vnet for the LAN does it work?

So don't touch the pfSense config, see if you can fix it in vmware.

Goddammit. That was it.

One of the three hosts in the cluster had a misconfigured VLAN ID. So when the pfSense VM bounced around it had a 1 in 3 chance of landing on the broken VLAN. I fixed the vlan ID and it started working immediately.

No a pfSense problem. PIBKAC. :rolleyes:

Well I suppose this is a good a time as any to script the installation of a new ESXi host in my cabinet. And set up PXE boot via a Mellanox ConnextX-3 HBA.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

~SMcD

Hah, I was guessing some vlan or other layer 2 fuckery but wasn’t sure how a pfsense reboot could have caused it unless it lost a tag on the interface or something.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

In hindsight the trick was that it wasn't a reboot. Powering it off completely and then powering it back on left it at the mercy of DRS which moved it to the misconfigured host. Since that particular VLAN is my lab environment and only has three VMs in it (out of the several dozen running across the three hosts), it took this long for the particular set of circumstances that moved the pfsense VM onto the host with the jacked up VLAN.

It makes me wonder about the madness that must ensue in larger shops that have not enough hosts to merit the diving into scripted host deployment but enough hosts to introduce complexity.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Been a while since I touched VMware, but would distributed virtual switches keep the config consistent across hosts?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Been a while since I touched VMware, but would distributed virtual switches keep the config consistent across hosts?

Also host profiles if you don't want the overhead of DVS.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

I’m probably going to go the host profile route, but DVS might be fun to set up and run for a while.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I had an interview ask me how I kept on top of the latest technologies and trends

one, I don't want to use fad bullshit, and two, when I ain't working I ain't working, gently caress you

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I had an interview ask me how I kept on top of the latest technologies and trends

one, I don't want to use fad bullshit, and two, when I ain't working I ain't working, gently caress you

"I am a member of an online community that keeps up to date on relevant technologies"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's easy. My customers always have that one exec with a subscription to Gartner and I spend at least a couple weeks every quarter chasing whatever shiny new thing caught their eye.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

The Fool posted:

"I am a member of an online community that keeps up to date on relevant technologies"

"Also, do you have stairs in your house?"

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I've been asked that question every single place I've interviewed the last 3-4 years.

They arent looking for some incredible answer. Just a "I subscribe to these RSS feeds or sites/twitter/newsletter blah blah whatever" with one example is all it takes to move on to the next question. No one says you have to read that poo poo off the clock either unless you want to.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've been asked that question every single place I've interviewed the last 3-4 years.

They arent looking for some incredible answer. Just a "I subscribe to these RSS feeds or sites/twitter/newsletter blah blah whatever" with one example is all it takes to move on to the next question. No one says you have to read that poo poo off the clock either unless you want to.
I made the mistake of interviewing with Deloitte at one point and they literally phrased it as "what do you do to improve your skills in your own time?".

I have no idea why I wasted a day on that interview beyond being desperate to move.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
“I don’t have any skills that’s why I’m interviewing with Deloitte”

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
imo it is not unreasonable or inappropriate to ask candidates if they are passionate enough about their career to study and learn and progress in their own time. Especially in a field where there is more to learn than you can realistically do in a lifetime.

We work with interesting poo poo guys! We can make sand talk to other sand halfway across the globe and create pretty pictures, or optimize new GMOs to improve crop yields, or perform facial recognition on a billion and a half people to create the world’s first cyberpunk dystopia. It’s loving cool! You’re not studying for your employer’s gain - you’re studying for your own self actualization and career profession.

Yeah bosses bad or whatever, but we should cherish self motivated learning and the career progression that comes with it, not look down upon it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I broke my home network last night trying to learn new poo poo, so :v:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yeah I don’t wanna touch a computer after work, period. If I’m learning anything for work it’s gonna be on company time.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

The Iron Rose posted:

imo it is not unreasonable or inappropriate to ask candidates if they are passionate enough about their career to study and learn and progress in their own time. Especially in a field where there is more to learn than you can realistically do in a lifetime.

We work with interesting poo poo guys! We can make sand talk to other sand halfway across the globe and create pretty pictures, or optimize new GMOs to improve crop yields, or perform facial recognition on a billion and a half people to create the world’s first cyberpunk dystopia. It’s loving cool! You’re not studying for your employer’s gain - you’re studying for your own self actualization and career profession.

Yeah bosses bad or whatever, but we should cherish self motivated learning and the career progression that comes with it, not look down upon it.

It’s all painfully uninteresting and burnout inducing after a decade+ to me, I avoid my work outside of my job like the plague. To each their own, but if I can’t figure out what I need to figure out in my 9-5 it ain’t happening anymore at all. And if a company expects it from me they can gently caress off

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

devmd01 posted:

Yeah I don’t wanna touch a computer after work, period. If I’m learning anything for work it’s gonna be on company time.

Same.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Iron Rose posted:

I am not. And that shouldn't stop you from paying me money because if you want me to learn, you can pay me to learn.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

We must be fortunate in that our company lets us spend an afternoon each week playing with new stuff instead of grinding through the backlog. As long as we keep showing the new stuff off its an agreement that seems to work well

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Yeah, it's not a hard question to answer. Hell, they didn't even specify about doing it on your own time versus company. If you're interested enough in the job to apply, provide the obvious answer and move on.

The Iron Rose posted:

:hai:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

Self motivated learning is cool, but expecting your employees to do it is discriminatory.

There are all kinds of valid reasons for someone to not be able to do <thing> outside of work hours, that disney make them a bad employee

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Fool posted:

Self motivated learning is cool, but expecting your employees to do it is discriminatory.

There are all kinds of valid reasons for someone to not be able to do <thing> outside of work hours, that disney make them a bad employee

I think this is fair, which is why it’s a bonus in a candidate and not a hard requirement. It’s hard enough to hire as is without failing an otherwise qualified candidate for not studying on their off hours.

But showing an iota of passion for your career is a really easy way to impress. More importantly, life’s too short to spend it on a career that brings you no joy. It doesn’t have to be your overriding pursuit, and there’s many things you can find value and worth in outside of work. But if you’re gonna spend a significant fraction of your life working, you may as well try to find parts of it rewarding!

We work with complicated poo poo. I’m always going to value someone who is eager and willing to learn on their own, off hours or on. It’s a depressingly rare trait, as this page clearly indicates.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

:yeah:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Actually, I want to make a clarification:

Self-motivated learning is awesome and always good in all situations!

It's even better if your employer provides space for learning during work hours because it's the expectation that an employee does work related stuff outside of work where it becomes toxic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Iron Rose posted:

When the "beginner" certs in this field cost $1499 + tax to even look at the training materieals work can pay for it or it doesn't get looked at.