Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

It cracks me up that Ovie gets flak for the Putin stuff and Panarin skates scott free for his support of a crypto-nazi.

But that aligns with the last 70 years of western history so it makes sense.

This is a ban now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Aphrodite posted:

This is a ban now.

I'm not calling anyone a Nazi (except the person who's being supported), im not even calling Panarin one. I like Panarin, its extremely disappointing to me that thats the person he chose to support and I hate it. But he's still a gd wizard and expecting the players to have good politics is a fools game.

Iodised QQ
Jul 23, 2004

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/artemi-panarin-apologizes-for-joke-about-sex-with-black-women-140625288.html

It wasn't difficult to see that panarin was kind of a piece of poo poo from early on at least!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/shawnhutcheon/status/1588582011140280321?s=46&t=elM8Hv1jTB0R7NQzOxv8ig

lmao this is my favorite stupid quote so far

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That’s exactly what the cop says to the master criminal they secured a temporary release for because they need his help.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
The kids are alt-right

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Silence of the Clams

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That’s exactly what the cop says to the master criminal they secured a temporary release for because they need his help.

sweeney's gonna end up alone on the side of the road with two slashed tires sucking on a piss coated lollipop, saying to himself "you know I really thought the kid could have turned it around"

Mike Works
Feb 26, 2003

*the Boston Bruins

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I get that someone is very different at 14 than they are as an adult but the stuff he did is just so beyond the pale that I don't think he deserves a second chance.

i might be a curmudgeon but every time brings up that people deserve second chances for poo poo they did as teenagers i just say "nah"
Like for many things, yes, but for racist/sex crimes stuff? why not make these cautionary tales for kids coming up. i want the sword of damocles hanging over these kids. maybe then they'll think twice before sex crimes and racism

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
the flames look like the Glen Gulutzan flames and i cannot think of a more damning insult

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Mikko Rantanen got a hat trick in Finland, his 4th career hattie.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/reporterchris/status/1588646892891619328

made sure to max out all the numbers because they were competing for his services with whoever else. this coulda been any other team taking a poo poo stomping on the internet today but lucky bruins fans, it's you

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

VOTE1 posted:

You’ve watched the best (unless you watched Canucks v ducks) now watch the rest. Australia v New Zealand is about to be live. The only question what will be worse the quality on the ice or the quality of the stream?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnj67LHfQxM

Straya with the Shutout

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Made this today.

"Mr. Lamiorello is helping me find my Stanley Cup."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm not calling anyone a Nazi (except the person who's being supported), im not even calling Panarin one. I like Panarin, its extremely disappointing to me that thats the person he chose to support and I hate it. But he's still a gd wizard and expecting the players to have good politics is a fools game.

what person? this isn't a gotcha i just don't know if you mean putin or elon musk or fuckin kim dotcom so saying the name would be good

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Arivia posted:

what person? this isn't a gotcha i just don't know if you mean putin or elon musk or fuckin kim dotcom so saying the name would be good

Panarin has expressed support for Alexei Navalny, who has bad opinions of his own and is also the only notable opposition figure in Russia who isn't dead yet, and not for lack of trying.

https://twitter.com/ikhurshudyan/status/1352257936928645122

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Has he posted support beyond the freedom thing? Because everyone was doing that without knowing the guy's actual politics, just because it was yet another opponent Putin jailed.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

isnt that also (one of) the guy(s) putin poisoned

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I know that before the February invasion Ovi campaigned and was all in on Team Putin and made TV ads for him. Would he have done that knowing that Putin was planning this war? I’d like to think not but I dont know. His handlers have been smart since then in only having make one statement that “war is bad and I want peace” and nothing else. Does he truly revel and take pleasure in the wholesale slaughter and genocide of innocent Ukrainian civilians and children? I truly hope not, but I’ll be the first to burn my Ovechkin jersey if it turns out he does. I know he loves his homeland and has lots of friends and family there. I hope he hates what Putin has done and has changed his stance on supporting him as a result of this awful war. But he’s not going to say anything though and risk having his family/friends conscripted and sent to the front lines to die.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

His IG profile photo is still them hanging out and he told the team no when they asked him to change it.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

He’s not gonna change that and draw attention to himself as being anti-Putin and risk his friends/family back home. But maybe I’m wrong and he cheers on every missile that strikes civilian targets in Ukraine. I truly hope not, makes me ill to think of him that way.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's not going to kill the guy's family for the completely empty gesture of changing his Instagram profile photo.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Cartoon Man posted:

I know that before the February invasion Ovi campaigned and was all in on Team Putin and made TV ads for him. Would he have done that knowing that Putin was planning this war? I’d like to think not but I dont know. His handlers have been smart since then in only having make one statement that “war is bad and I want peace” and nothing else. Does he truly revel and take pleasure in the wholesale slaughter and genocide of innocent Ukrainian civilians and children? I truly hope not, but I’ll be the first to burn my Ovechkin jersey if it turns out he does. I know he loves his homeland and has lots of friends and family there. I hope he hates what Putin has done and has changed his stance on supporting him as a result of this awful war. But he’s not going to say anything though and risk having his family/friends conscripted and sent to the front lines to die.

this is not the thread for it, but the war is more popular than Putin, so the safe assumption until shown otherwise is that he supports the war and doesn't support war crimes...

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

He's not going to kill the guy's family for the completely empty gesture of changing his Instagram profile photo.

Putin has put radioactive materials into people's tea for less.

I get being worried about coming out as anti Putin though but I also feel like it'd be pretty easy to not actively support him.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Uh yeah probably

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

If the playoffs started today these would be some wild-rear end matchups.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Diet Crack posted:

If the playoffs started today these would be some wild-rear end matchups.

The very first time I ran the sim lol

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 5, 2022

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

lmao of course its the bruins

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Didn't the Habs use a first rounder on a poo poo head? A sex pest maybe? I can't keep track of all the assholes in the world. Not saying the Bruins aren't being lovely, just that there are other gently caress heads in the league to be aware of.

Edit: Yep, Logan Mailloux, 2021 first rounder, shared a pic of a partner.
https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/...ed-sex-offender

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

deoju posted:

Didn't the Habs use a first rounder on a poo poo head? A sex pest maybe? I can't keep track of all the assholes in the world. Not saying the Bruins aren't being lovely, just that there are other gently caress heads in the league to be aware of.

Edit: Yep, Logan Mailloux, 2021 first rounder, shared a pic of a partner.
https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/...ed-sex-offender

The habs got roasted for that too. The shithead team I think is getting off easy is the Oilers who continue to employ Bob Nicholson as President of Oilers Entertainment Group without saying a word.

Before joining the Oilers, Nicholson was president of Hockey Canada from 1998-2014.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fermun posted:

I'd be shocked if he doesn't get claimed, he made a huge impact in the offseason last year
https://twitter.com/mirtle/status/1588595873616797696

He sure did, but they were able to repair it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

pseudodragon posted:

The habs got roasted for that too. The shithead team I think is getting off easy is the Oilers who continue to employ Bob Nicholson as President of Oilers Entertainment Group without saying a word.

Before joining the Oilers, Nicholson was president of Hockey Canada from 1998-2014.

They're owned by a sex pest!

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
man you can tell Bergeron is not happy about this at all, and the team still trotted him out to do an interview like this. What a bunch of horse poo poo. Also incredible that the quote they used was "I was on the fence" which is just him being nice and trying not to throw the organization completely under the bus instead of when he said "It goes against what we are as a culture, as a team, and for me as a person"

https://twitter.com/Sportsnet/status/1588731992845205505

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 5, 2022

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Just lmao every time Americans come into this thread to bitch about foreign players supporting their government committing war crimes without a single hint of irony.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

HookShot posted:

Just lmao every time Americans come into this thread to bitch about foreign players supporting their government committing war crimes without a single hint of irony.

Other countries’ politics are always easier to condemn than one’s own. They aren’t steeped in our own cultural symbols so they are more obviously ridiculous, and we’re less likely to be habituated to tolerating them in our neighbors.

That means we don’t have to spend any time investigating which of us is the most hypocritical. We all know sports politics is absurd.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

Other countries’ politics are always easier to condemn than one’s own. They aren’t steeped in our own cultural symbols so they are more obviously ridiculous, and we’re less likely to be habituated to tolerating them in our neighbors.

That means we don’t have to spend any time investigating which of us is the most hypocritical. We all know sports politics is absurd.

I think most people posting here are well aware that a lot of the NHL likely holds repugnant political views. We just don't hear about it as much because many of them keep those opinions to themselves.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

I think most people posting here are well aware that a lot of the NHL likely holds repugnant political views. We just don't hear about it as much because many of them keep those opinions to themselves.

As someone who grew up as and am still mainly a NBA fan, treasure what you have. Hockey players being boring ciphers (to the media) with the exception of goalies rocks. I like that I can just watch the young Habs develop without a National Discussion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It’s not a moral high ground in Canada, it’s just because it’s on top of a mountain of children’s graves.