Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Godzilla07 posted:

Adorama has the Elegia for sale for $330 and it looks like they ship to Canada?

oh poo poo, last time i checked their site during a sale it wouldn't give the option for some reason, thank you

gonna sit on that now that i know adorama will since it's a fairly regular sale, haven't decided if i'm going to piss a bunch of money into chifi iems during the sale yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I was considering pumping poo poo into the 11/11 sale but then people were super cold on the Stellaris so I shat significantly more money into a PC upgrade instead.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Yea that's a good point actually, I've been in love with DD IEMs of late and was considering yolo'ing a Zen Pro or Twilight but like, I could build an entire new PC sans GPU for that much, and my current PC is getting long in the tooth.

That's the problem with shopping because you're bored and not because you actually need something.

Might just order some of the more popular budget hype stuff like the Crinacle collabs to try out, get my novelty fix without breaking my resolution to not buy overpriced audio poo poo anymore.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Found a good deal on some LCD-2C's, excited to try some planars for the first time. About time for me to install Equaliser APO :getin:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

101 posted:

SteelSeries Arctis Nova 7P

Cheers :cheers:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

ijyt posted:

Found a good deal on some LCD-2C's, excited to try some planars for the first time. About time for me to install Equaliser APO :getin:

Have fun! You’re me back in January or so!

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I want to get a semi cheap pair of Bluetooth headphones to use with my steam deck to keep in my bedside. Any recommendations for that? Normally I like closed over the ear but I'm guessing I'll want some inner ear style things for this? Or if there are good quality over the ear semi cheap wireless that are comfortable that could be neat too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kwolok posted:

I want to get a semi cheap pair of Bluetooth headphones to use with my steam deck to keep in my bedside. Any recommendations for that? Normally I like closed over the ear but I'm guessing I'll want some inner ear style things for this? Or if there are good quality over the ear semi cheap wireless that are comfortable that could be neat too.

Define cheap?

Under $100?

Edit: NGL I’m not sure how comfortable over the ears would be lying down.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 5, 2022

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

MarcusSA posted:

Define cheap?

Under $100?

Edit: NGL I’m not sure how comfortable over the ears would be lying down.

Under 200. And yeah I'm not sure what would be best for comfort, probably in ears right?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Samsung Galaxy Buds 2 or 1st gen Airpods Pro if you can find any discounted. I assume you're wanting them for just gaming and not sleeping as well.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Dogen posted:

Have fun! You’re me back in January or so!

I can never go back to my HD6XX's :stwoon:

After equalizing hoooly poo poo welcome back sub-bass how I loving missed you. Bass finally has impact again and the sub-bass rumbles my chest, and none of the mids or highs get sacrificed or muddied up. I should have gone straight to these from my Fidelio X2's fuuuuuck.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

ijyt posted:

I can never go back to my HD6XX's :stwoon:

After equalizing hoooly poo poo welcome back sub-bass how I loving missed you. Bass finally has impact again and the sub-bass rumbles my chest, and none of the mids or highs get sacrificed or muddied up. I should have gone straight to these from my Fidelio X2's fuuuuuck.

The 6XX was a good intermediate step for me as I was able to get it for less than I paid for the 598s that I was replacing, and it convinced me that I could continue finding value in upgrading. But yeah it’s sad I have a whole listening station with the 6XX and the LCD2C and the 6XX are kind of a parking space for my modmic now.

I ended up using someone from the internets eq settings for the LCD2C and just bumping the sub bass a bit, and I did also have fun experimenting with eq on the 6XX as well since that was a known quantity that to me didn’t really require any eq intervention.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

njsykora posted:

Samsung Galaxy Buds 2 or 1st gen Airpods Pro if you can find any discounted. I assume you're wanting them for just gaming and not sleeping as well.

Thanks. The biggest thing for me is sounds isolation so I can game while my gf watches tik tok or something without us disturbing each other. Assuming the Galaxy buds would be good for that?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yep, they have ANC as well as being normal IEM style buds so will do a decent enough job.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Dogen posted:

I ended up using someone from the internets eq settings for the LCD2C and just bumping the sub bass a bit, and I did also have fun experimenting with eq on the 6XX as well since that was a known quantity that to me didn’t really require any eq intervention.

Oratory1990? Did the same, haha have about +8.5db on 35Hz and it's :discourse:

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
So the buds pro 2 are in fact some if the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, and have great sound quality but when connected to my steam deck they have truly awful sounds latency. Any idea if that is fixable?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Kwolok posted:

So the buds pro 2 are in fact some if the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn, and have great sound quality but when connected to my steam deck they have truly awful sounds latency. Any idea if that is fixable?

Nope. Not fixable. There are codecs that mitigate it but the only one the buds 2 pro supports is proprietary samsung.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Kwolok posted:

As above, no.

There are low latency wireless gaming headsets but they don’t use Bluetooth and require their own dongle to be plugged into USB.

For gaming just get something with a cable, you can get good sounding IEMs like the Moondrop Chu or Salnotes Zero for $20 these days.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Well drat that sucks. Does that mean these headphones are really only good for like calls and music, since even video will have that audio desync? It feels very noticeable...

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kwolok posted:

Well drat that sucks. Does that mean these headphones are really only good for like calls and music, since even video will have that audio desync? It feels very noticeable...

Pretty much yeah.

It’s pretty much why I stopped using my Bose QC35 on my iPad when I travel. It’s pretty bad.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Welp looks like my gf just got a nice new pair of galaxy buds lol. And I ordered theese: https://a.co/d/aaTodkV

Those should be good for steam deck gaming right?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah those are super well regarded in the IEM world right now.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
It's just crazy to me that in tyool 2022 Bluetooth still has latency issues....

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Kwolok posted:

Welp looks like my gf just got a nice new pair of galaxy buds lol. And I ordered theese: https://a.co/d/aaTodkV

Those should be good for steam deck gaming right?

I have yet to see a single negative take on how these things sound across various forums, opinions vary from "Incredible for the price" to "Legitimately great to the point that most popular ~$100 IEMs have become questionable recommendations".

Good tuning for games as well, bright-ish with no muddy bass.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Kwolok posted:

It's just crazy to me that in tyool 2022 Bluetooth still has latency issues....

I wish you could utilise the 2.4Ghz wifi radio to connect devices that don't use bluetooth, but yeah wired headphones only for me, because I can't be hosed with a dongle hanging off the steam deck. Until someone makes a slim 2.4Ghz adapter with usb-c power passthrough.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Debating between these two:

Sennheiser IE 100 PRO Dynamic In-Ear Monitoring Headphones, Black https://amzn.eu/d/gsJdAY9

Beats Flex Wireless Earphones – Apple W1 Headphone Chip, Magnetic Earbuds, Class 1 Bluetooth, 12 Hours of Listening Time, Built-in Microphone - Black https://amzn.eu/d/2XOXXKn

For casual music playback. I don't really get the difference between in-ear monitors and regular earbuds. Basically I want decent sound quality, Bluetooth earphones with a neck band.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Sennheiser's IEMs aren't anything special with a few exceptions, and the Beats sound more like what you want in general.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Just got a new pair of Razer Barracudas, and I mostly love them. The only trouble is that there is a faint high pitched whine from the right ear cup. Quite enough that if any sound at all is playing its completely unnoticeable, but whenever nothing is playing its all I notice.

Its only the right ear.
Its only on 2.4 gig. On bluetooth or 3.5mm there is no whine.
Happens on all 4 computers I have access to.
Different ports have no effect, but none are a dedicated sound card.
Equalizer and volume settings don't affect it.
Turning off all wifi things, to the extend possible given neighbors has no effect.

Anything else I should try?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

njsykora posted:

Sennheiser's IEMs aren't anything special with a few exceptions, and the Beats sound more like what you want in general.

Ah, good to know, thanks for this. Are there any other Bluetooth earbuds with neckbands that are recommended?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Not really that I'm aware of, Apple are basically the last company making decent neckband wireless with the Beats Flex and Powerbeats. Anker made a few well liked ones a few years back but they don't sell them any more.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Ah, good to know, thanks for this. Are there any other Bluetooth earbuds with neckbands that are recommended?

Anker actually still sells a model with an actual solid neckband (not just a connecting cable) if that's what you're looking for. No experience with them though, but I've liked every Anker product I've used.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
It's significantly more awkward, but you can always buy something like the Qudelix-5K to turn wired earbuds you like into Bluetooth headphones.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

My Philips SHP9500 seems to be on their way out - or at least, it feels like I'm having to use contact cleaner with a higher frequency to get rid of audio crackling from the connection of the cable into the headset.

It looks like the same set is going for 120$ Canadian on Amazon - is it worth getting a replacement, or can I find something comparable or better for a better price? The open style is basically the primary thing I care about - this set has been super comfy for me and never been an issue to have on for most of the day.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Did anybody itt ever try the etymotic evo? They're $200 at b&h today:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1669347-REG/etymotic_research_er_multi3_evo_3_driver_earphone.html

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Lost the case to my wireless earbuds somewhere in my room. Not the earbuds themselves, the charging case. Looked everywhere, can only assume it's disappeared into the aether. I love technology so very much

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The airpods pro 2 case has a speaker and an airtag chip to help with that

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Yeah but the airpods pro 2 case also has the airpods pro 2 :lol:

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

mutantIke posted:

Yeah but the airpods pro 2 case also has the airpods pro 2 :lol:

They are pretty good imo. This is coming from a guy who owns a couple of headphones over $3000 dollars. I prefer them over other true wireless buds as an entire package.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Best cheap <$100 over the ear closed back wired headphones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Kwolok posted:

Best cheap <$100 over the ear closed back wired headphones?

AKG K361.