Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Turn based can be as interesting as real time if the system is fun. One being considered an upgrade over the other has never sat well with me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Real time combat sometimes can get real messy , turn based in the FF and DQ style is much cleaner in terms of what's going on .
But it's not like I think turn based is inherently better than real time.
The real problem for me I guess is the move to direct control as opposed to commands

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Something like SMT, where you have to plan out moves multiple steps ahead across multiple party members/demons to either maximize your damage or mitigate your risk/damage, would almost certainly not work with the same degree of depth if it were an active battle system.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Turn based means combat is immediately more strategic, real time combat is much more about reflex and reaction time, they test two separate skillsets

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Big Scary Owl posted:

What makes turn-based better for you guys? Is there something that you prefer about it? I think turn-based feels kinda boring now tbh, and I used to love them back in the SNES days. Feels like there's more interesting gameplay stuff you can do with a real-time combat system.

i like both, but theres already an extremely large amount of real time combat games cos thats already the default, so cutting turn based out of a series drastically cuts down on how many turn based rpgs there are to play.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I think I’d rather have mediocre turn based combat than mediocre action stuff. It’s why I could 100% Yakuza 7 but can barely finish the rest of the series

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I hope the next random remake from nowhere square announces is one of the soul blazer trilogy games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

hatty posted:

I think I’d rather have mediocre turn based combat than mediocre action stuff. It’s why I could 100% Yakuza 7 but can barely finish the rest of the series

I'm the opposite and the combat in Y7 was actively bad not mediocre lol

Still finished it because it's Yakuza but I'll be extremely sad if that becomes the default.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

SeXReX posted:

Turn based JRPGs are for middle management brained people who are more comfortable telling someone else to do something then just doing it themselves.

What games does upper management play?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Gachas

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Big Scary Owl posted:

What makes turn-based better for you guys? Is there something that you prefer about it? I think turn-based feels kinda boring now tbh, and I used to love them back in the SNES days. Feels like there's more interesting gameplay stuff you can do with a real-time combat system.

It's like asking why someone might like chess better than ping-pong. They're very different experiences and you might prefer one over the other purely due to your preferences.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I hope the next random remake from nowhere square announces is one of the soul blazer trilogy games

Aren't the rights to those in some sort of weird limbo after Quintet went more or less defunct and its President, as far as anyone knows, disappeared off the face of the Earth? I know Squeenix has the rights to Actraiser, but who knows about the rest

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Big Scary Owl posted:

A lot of real time systems actually feel like less control than turn based. Turn based systems tend to be an immediate resolution after a command while real time can be anywhere from ARPG stuff like Nier where you still do have control and immediate feedback but it involves input/execution skill, to stuff like ATB/MMO-esque auto attack and especially RT+P (WRPGs) where the delay between command and action makes me feel like I barely have control over what the characters are doing. Obviously this doesn't bother some people.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Basically I absolutely hate rt+p systems and I hope that wave of KS-backed Infinity Engine throwbacks has petered out. Feels like I'm making suggestions on what the party should be doing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's also why I'm really sad the Kotor remake is having a rough time of it because like

I just abhor the combat in Kotor.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Asterite34 posted:

Aren't the rights to those in some sort of weird limbo after Quintet went more or less defunct and its President, as far as anyone knows, disappeared off the face of the Earth? I know Squeenix has the rights to Actraiser, but who knows about the rest

I'm not really sure what would differentiate Actraiser enough from the rest of Quintet's Resurrection of Earth God vs Satan series that Square-Enix would have access enough to Actraiser to remake that one but not be able to remake Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, or Terranigma.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Terranigma's ending made me cry for real :qq:
Has some pacing issues but the game's a real gem.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Basically I absolutely hate rt+p systems and I hope that wave of KS-backed Infinity Engine throwbacks has petered out. Feels like I'm making suggestions on what the party should be doing.

I am glad that at the very least a lot of those games have added turn based modes.

I've been playing Pathfinder Kingmaker and I appreciate that I can swap on the fly, even in the middle of combat. I dislike RTWP a lot but it's nice to use that for fights where all I'd do is attack since that's so much faster, and for anything that requires actual strategy I flip it to turn based.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I would eliminate all of the fights that would just have me using basic attacks

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Yeah I could not get into Pillars of Eternity 1 because the RTWP system felt real clunky, I appreciated they added a true turn-based option in 2

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've finished the MK side of MK vs DC. Overall it was a fun enough fighting game with some cool superpower moves. Nothing amazing but definitely better than I was expecting considering how much it gets crapped on

The graphics were shite though I'll give you that. Looked like a PS2 game

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Jay Rust posted:

I would eliminate all of the fights that would just have me using basic attacks

One of my favorite types of poster is "JRPGs need random encounters with enemies you kill in one turn" people

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

SeXReX posted:

One of my favorite types of poster is "JRPGs need random encounters with enemies you kill in one turn" people

i thoughty ou liked hylics

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

do jrpgs even still Do random encounters anymore.....

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I can’t remember the last one that did. Bravely Default 2?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I could not get into Pillars of Eternity 1 because the RTWP system felt real clunky, I appreciated they added a true turn-based option in 2
Battles that take 30-45 seconds in RTWP can take like 30-45 minutes in turn-based PoE2. I could not get through it that way. RTWP isn't my favourite but just bolting on a turn-based mode onto a game designed for lots of quick fights is never going to work.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Yeah and when devs got smart and stopped using them those posters were very upset about it and that was very funny

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

random battles ftw

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Stux posted:

random battles ftw

Unironically

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am ok with random battles as long as there's a quick auto-battle for when it's a fight that could be resolved with attack all

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Or do the Earthbound thing where the battle ends instantly

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What's the verdict on: Harvestella

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Help Im Alive posted:

What's the verdict on: Harvestella

Its good. Only complaint is that the combat pretends to be action based but is secretly just mashing numbers against each other. Which is fine in a harvest moon, but should have been turn based because number mashing works better in turn based

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

cheetah7071 posted:

Its good. Only complaint is that the combat pretends to be action based but is secretly just mashing numbers against each other. Which is fine in a harvest moon, but should have been turn based because number mashing works better in turn based

Secretly a Mana game, huh

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Last Celebration posted:

I listened to a few tracks in the Sekiro OST and I don’t think I really realized how much that OST slaps while playing aside from a few parts like the phase 2-3 transition in bottom-tier Souls Boss Demon of Hatred. Like goddamn it’s not common that I can listen to some tracks and be right back in the boss fight but it’s weird because I wasn’t that pumped while most of them played, maybe because Sekiro is so much more demanding.

Anyone ever have that happen with a game OST?

That makes sense to me because it's a sick af score and as mentioned in addition to Kitamura helming it the soundtrack was overseen by Noriyuki Asakura who did all the amazing music for Tenchu over the years, stuff that outclassed most other game soundtracks of its day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQIYoiKZ5Oo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How deep or superficial is the connection to Nietzsche’s philosophy in Xenosaga?

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Rinkles posted:

How deep or superficial is the connection to Nietzsche’s philosophy in Xenosaga?

space jesus turns space ghosts into salt

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Did that happen in Nietzsche

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am ok with random battles as long as there's a quick auto-battle for when it's a fight that could be resolved with attack all

No. Just delete those fights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Did that happen in Nietzsche

Constantly