Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

I don't get why car drivers don't want more cycle infrastructure, it keeps the cyclists away from me, why the gently caress would I not want more cycle infrastructure?

because it could be another lane, gotta have more lanes man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

I appreciate this post

:same:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

OwlFancier posted:

I don't get why car drivers don't want more cycle infrastructure, it keeps the cyclists away from me, why the gently caress would I not want more cycle infrastructure?

You forget that you're talking primarily about Americans here, where the attitude is that anyone who isn't me benefiting is, in fact, a personal affront to me

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

500 good dogs posted:

But more lanes are horrible, the ideal road has one lane per direction and then you don't have to think about anything else, just keep car in lane until destination happens. Who the gently caress wants to spend their time trying to figure out what loving lane you want to be in??

Even in a giant american car you can only drive in one lane at a time, if you build more lanes it encourages other dickheads to drive in them and that is bad.

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 16:31 on Nov 5, 2022

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

OwlFancier posted:

But more lanes are horrible, the ideal road has one lane per direction and then you don't have to think about anything else, just keep car in lane until destination happens. Who the gently caress wants to spend their time trying to figure out what loving lane you want to be in??

Even in a giant american car you can only drive in one lane at a time, if you build more lanes it encourages other dickheads to drive in them and that is bad.

With one lane you end up with a single dickhead who insists on going 5 under making everyone behind them late for work

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

RFC2324 posted:

With one lane you end up with a single dickhead who insists on going only 5 over instead of 15 making everyone behind them late for work

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I live in a rural area so 5 under is a luxury, normal is there's a tractor in front of you and it's struggling to do 25mph and also it's towing a trailer full of hay bales and covering your car in the loving stuff.

Also frankly one lane per direction is a luxury, a lot of places we get one lane to share.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

OwlFancier posted:

Drivers in my area have figured out multiple ways to take up more than one lane with a single vehicle!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Your mistake is believing most people consider their cars as primarily a means of transportation and not a power fantasy directly tied to things like class, status, wealth, etc.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Now this is only my take but, it's all tribalism. Sometimes it's about them not sharing your circumstances and not being reliably against changes that would maybe be bad for you, and sometimes it's their football team is not my team and they should be muuuurdered

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Hey, sometimes I really need to get to the dispensary NOW

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
when i was learning to drive an ambulance, they showed us a study that tried to work out how much faster you would get to an average call, going lights and sirens versus no lights and sirens. I think their data was from atlanta and the difference was less than 90 seconds.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

It’s absolutely “I personally won’t benefit from this, so nobody should”. See also: student debt relief

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

OwlFancier posted:

I live in a rural area so 5 under is a luxury, normal is there's a tractor in front of you and it's struggling to do 25mph and also it's towing a trailer full of hay bales and covering your car in the loving stuff.

Also frankly one lane per direction is a luxury, a lot of places we get one lane to share.

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard, really. At the age of twelve, I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I suggest you try it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

500 good dogs posted:

when i lived in phoenix there was a plan to widen some roads to add bicycle lanes. like, not just paint some bicycle symbols in the right lane -- they were going to actually expand the shoulders and pave new cycle lanes outside the car lanes so the cyclists wouldn't have to share. a surprisingly nice gesture, and imo the next best thing to curb-separated lanes like they have in holland for instance.

i watched some of the town hall proceedings and i have never seen angrier people in my life. they were furious that the city was planning to build roads where their cars weren't allowed to go. people literally yelling that they were going to loving drive in the bicycle lanes if they loving wanted to and the bicycles would just have to get out of their loving way.

cars are a disease

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Spanish Manlove posted:

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard, really. At the age of twelve, I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I suggest you try it.

:hmmyes:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Spanish Manlove posted:

:fourballs:

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

bike tory posted:

I have found these anti-car propaganda memes very sustaining today, enjoy:
:same:

CopperHound has a new favorite as of 17:47 on Nov 5, 2022

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

More.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Lmao

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

As a person who has never owned a car, and used to own a bike before I got hassled by the cops for riding it around my residential neighborhood one too many times, cars and bikes both behave equally lovely to me. I was astonished recently to see TWO bikes, in a SINGLE WEEK, riding in the bike lanes and not on the sidewalks where almost every bike hangs out, just riding next to the always-empty bike lane.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

At a pedestrian in NYC I appreciate the anti cycling memes.

Red light? One way? Sidewalk? I'm not a car so that means I can go anywhere and do anything.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Counterpoint:

:911:

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Parking lots are cool because once I got to see an SUV burn to the ground in one.

I could do without them the rest of the time though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Industrial corruption and Patriotism, name a more iconic combo

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
These gently caress car memes are the best.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

John Lee posted:

As a person who has never owned a car, and used to own a bike before I got hassled by the cops for riding it around my residential neighborhood one too many times, cars and bikes both behave equally lovely to me. I was astonished recently to see TWO bikes, in a SINGLE WEEK, riding in the bike lanes and not on the sidewalks where almost every bike hangs out, just riding next to the always-empty bike lane.

On my city you get the bike lanes but cyclists still are in the road. But don't you dare as pedestrian to touch the bike one because they'll jump on you.

gently caress car drivers and cyclists equally.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Guillermus posted:

WRONG

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
Just a few moments ago I tried crossing the street at a crosswalk, but had to avoid all the cyclists running the red light and a car slowly moving over said crosswalk.

Guillermus posted:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Throw all bikes into the ocean so that the fish can be insufferable instead

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Kill everyone

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Guillermus posted:

On my city you get the bike lanes but cyclists still are in the road. But don't you dare as pedestrian to touch the bike one because they'll jump on you.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Separate, not equal!

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I'm really enjoying the gently caress cops / cars crossover

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
cops are basically inseparable from their cars so it makes sense.

i think that forcing cops to get out of their paranoid automobile fortresses and walk a beat, or at least ride a bicycle, would be a big improvement.

1) cops have to interact with regular friendly civilians in their neighborhood on a daily basis, so they start to build a connection to the community and lose the "everyone is a potential enemy" attitude
2) civilians get to see cops just hanging around being cheerful vs only seeing them when something bad is happening, so they become less intimidating
3) maybe they lose some loving weight

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Yes but American police are DEFACATE

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

in the uK we have put cops on horses, combining the worst people with the worst road users

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Aaron Carter wasn't even in nsync

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

gently caress cyclists (sexually)

gently caress cars (by setting them on fire (don't actually do that, it's super bad for the climate))