Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

GABA ghoul posted:

Hello, I'm Elon Musk, the founder of companies like Tesla, Twitter, SpaceX and that tunnel one

Say what you want about Twitter these days, but it's definitely not Boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

ChaseSP posted:

Musk wished he could always be the center of attention on a monkey's paw and it granted his wish.

Every day there is a main character on twitter. the goal is to not be it.

Elon has made himself the main character in perpetuity

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Wellwinds posted:

yeah buggy crunched subscription rollout plus election night chaos has the best chance of just straight up strangling the site to death

I'm keeping my date, but yeah this was my thought. Now that I've mulled it over some more, I bet the chaos will cause it to go down for a couple days around next Tuesday, but somebody not yet fired will get it back up by the end of the week.

Edit: it won't be long enough to count for our death pool here.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sorry lettuce, Twitter isn't that doomed. Twitter isn't quite that doomed. Twitter will possibly live until Thanksgiving.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Random Stranger posted:

Sorry lettuce, Twitter isn't that doomed. Twitter isn't quite that doomed. Twitter will possibly live until Thanksgiving.

your doubt in the lettuce will be your undoing, heathen

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

I keep seeing this, but, uh, who reported it?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm betting that by the end of Monday twitter will be blocked in Germany after 'verified' tweets from every politician and agency about how great the Nazis were make the rounds

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

How it staryed: im a free speech absolutist

How it’s goong:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Omobono posted:

Has BoerMan banned that account that was tweeting his private plane movements already?
Or NAFO accounts?

No, and no.

Omobono posted:

Speculations aside, did I get things right?
With the understanding that the small details could go on for three posts.

Not exactly:

1. I have no idea why he started down this road to begin with, but it definitely wasn't the jet thing. Anyone can make elonjetwatch.com to put out his private plane movements, banning a twitter account doesn't fix that. He's a twitter addict in general. Like the dude doesn't just make tweets like most celebs. He reads enough of the rando garbage to reply to people.

He made the offer to *buy* twitter because his initial move -- to buy stock and get on the board of directors -- got shut down. It was a billionaire baby being denied candy and throwing a tantrum.

Why did he want to be on twitter's board? Beats me. The take I saw a long time ago that made sense was that he has been fighting with the SEC about tweets for years, such that the SEC had told him "don't tweet about your companies without legal approval". And he hated that, because twitter addict. So the idea on this blog was that buying twitter would be an end-around for that: if he owns twitter, telling him not to tweet would be directly harmful to his ownership of twitter. He'd tell the SEC to gently caress off, and then go back to pumping his tesla stocks via legally-questionable tweets. Big win for Elon!

Nothing he's done since then matches that 5d chess explanation so I'm kinda doubtful it was really the plan. But maybe that was the plan at the start, but he's totally forgotten the playbook.

2. The main thing that made him change his mind was the stock market, particularly tech stocks and tesla, taking a huge dive after he signed the offer. The $54.20 wasn't just just an overpay but a big overpay, and tesla stock going down made it twice as bad. His loans are secured by his tesla stock -- when tesla goes down he has to put more stock in.

tl;dr it's not about getting owned on twitter, or at least not just about that

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Lamech posted:

If I bought a company, you'd never hear from me. I'd run the thing through a nebulous web C-suite suits and vice regional managers. I'd be a myth among the employees, and a joke in the media. "There's Lamech, drunk on his yacht in the Mediterranean again, look at him roll around with those models, and back to Tom with the weather," they'd say. I would handle zero public complaints, and there's no way I'd become the face of customer loving service. But I'm not an edgelord narcissist (that I know of)

Plus you could then put on a bat costume at night and fight crime.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Stoatbringer posted:

Years ago, back in the early days of computing, idiot bosses decided it would be a good idea to pay developers based on the number of lines of code they wrote.

All of a sudden everything would be written in the most long-winded, bloated manner possible with endless descriptive comments padding everything out.

It was also used to justify outsourcing development work because "developers in country X produce 20% more lines of code per day than local ones!!". Except they quickly discovered that quantity != quality.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Made a mastodon account, seems neat but we'll see if it actually takes off.

Unlike a Tesla, we aren't locked into Twitter as it burns down.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Feels like every "If you like twitter you should switch to X" recommendations have either had weird signup/waitlist stuff like Mastodon with it's servers, or it's just not a finished product without a mobile app yet. I just don't see a lot of people switching over to a new platform if the signup is remotely convoluted. Is there like a good Mastodon server or how's that work?

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

explosivo posted:

Feels like every "If you like twitter you should switch to X" recommendations have either had weird signup/waitlist stuff like Mastodon with it's servers, or it's just not a finished product without a mobile app yet. I just don't see a lot of people switching over to a new platform if the signup is remotely convoluted. Is there like a good Mastodon server or how's that work?

This seems to be the main one, it works. All the servers are connected, so it doesn't super matter https://mstdn.social/home .

I'm on here if anyone needs a posting buddy, but i'm making no commitment to continuing it if it doesn't take off - https://mstdn.social/@shunt . Easy to sign up though, and the non profit model makes me less anxious about leaving an account lying around.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I couldn't find anyone, anywhere, talking about any of the subjects I'm interested in, so I assumed I was using it wrong and gave up.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

This is one of the first things I saw after trying to set up the mastodon app, and, well, :hmmyes:

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Captain Hygiene posted:

This is one of the first things I saw after trying to set up the mastodon app, and, well, :hmmyes:

Yeah, the very first thing you are confronted with when signing up to Mastodon is a screen telling you to pick your server, with no obvious way of finding out any information about any of the servers listed or any hints as to what features you would actually even be looking for in a server , or any explanation of what the implications of being on one server vs another are, with a bunch of different tabs of different "categories" of server to choose from, such as "Tech", "Journalism", "Furry" and some of those tabs will appear to have zero servers in them. (not the furry one, that will have lots of servers).

All the Mastodon evangelists exude big "This is the year of Linux on the desktop!" energy.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Captain Hygiene posted:

Hey bb you can quark all my nerps in any kerflunk you want :grin:

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Entropic posted:

All the Mastodon evangelists exude big "This is the year of Linux on the desktop!" energy.

Aye yo don't call me out like that

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

It takes literally years for the mainstream to adopt a new piece of tech, especially when the older one does all the things they want, so it would be a long while before mass adoption of a good twitter replacement occurs.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

it's more likely Musk sells it off for cheap to someone who makes it work again compared to a competitor starting up unless Elon REALLY refuses to give up on it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Every time I try signing up for one of the big mastodon servers it just says you cant because it's busy and recommends a different one with like 100 users on it. I get that the servers don't really matter(?) but I don't think they're remotely prepared for an influx of users like they're seeing and just makes me want to give up on it entirely before getting past the account creation phase.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think the interesting question is, what is the next shiny jangling thing that will distract Elon and become his new obsession distracing him from Twitter?

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Mastodon brings back memories of trying to instruct normies with IRC. Servers AND channels? That's two whole things! very confusing

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

GABA ghoul posted:

Hello, I'm Elon Musk, the founder of companies like Tesla, Twitter, SpaceX and that tunnel one

He gets credit for PayPal too

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I kind of like cohost because the general vibe of it reminds me of LiveJournal

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Flinger posted:

Mastodon brings back memories of trying to instruct normies with IRC. Servers AND channels? That's two whole things! very confusing

Isn't that what discord is?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

GABA ghoul posted:

Brigadier Sockface posted:

He gets credit for PayPal too

And despite being involved in all of these things he never once got tarred and feathered by an angry mob!
He should advertise his luck first and foremost.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

kazil posted:

It will be kinda impressive if the checkmark system is up and running on Monday without crippling bugs

It won't be

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

This death pool poo poo is very lol since Elon has already killed Twitter. The corpse just hasn't hit the floor yet.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Entropic posted:

I think the interesting question is, what is the next shiny jangling thing that will distract Elon and become his new obsession distracing him from Twitter?

I hope it is fentanyl

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
He's going to build his own city at the bottom of the ocean where they can have real free speech and live by libertarian values unlike all those dumb mean communists on land!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nah Wakanda Forever comes out next week and he'll see that brown people have autonomy down there

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Man, people are really beating the "change your twitter display name to Elon Musk and tweet dumb poo poo" joke into the ground.

And then you got a few high profile ones eating a suspension for it and going "ohhhh i thought you cared about FREE SPEECH, hypocrite much??"

I dunno what point people think they're making there, impersonating accounts has been against the Twitter TOS for ages and yeah if you draw attention doing it you're gonna get suspended even if you're doing it as an "obvious" joke. This is not some new rule they brought in to protect Elon's vanity.
I'm wondering how exactly these people think you would write moderation rules to ban impersonation only if it's the "bad" kind of impersonation.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

lol elon making the n-word legal on twitter just in time for Black Panther 2

of course

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Machai posted:

This death pool poo poo is very lol since Elon has already killed Twitter. The corpse just hasn't hit the floor yet.

You're saying they're in the "NANI?!" phase of "Omae wa mou shindeiru."

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Klyith posted:

No, and no.

Not exactly:

1. I have no idea why he started down this road to begin with, but it definitely wasn't the jet thing. Anyone can make elonjetwatch.com to put out his private plane movements, banning a twitter account doesn't fix that. He's a twitter addict in general. Like the dude doesn't just make tweets like most celebs. He reads enough of the rando garbage to reply to people.

He made the offer to *buy* twitter because his initial move -- to buy stock and get on the board of directors -- got shut down. It was a billionaire baby being denied candy and throwing a tantrum.

Why did he want to be on twitter's board? Beats me. The take I saw a long time ago that made sense was that he has been fighting with the SEC about tweets for years, such that the SEC had told him "don't tweet about your companies without legal approval". And he hated that, because twitter addict. So the idea on this blog was that buying twitter would be an end-around for that: if he owns twitter, telling him not to tweet would be directly harmful to his ownership of twitter. He'd tell the SEC to gently caress off, and then go back to pumping his tesla stocks via legally-questionable tweets. Big win for Elon!

Nothing he's done since then matches that 5d chess explanation so I'm kinda doubtful it was really the plan. But maybe that was the plan at the start, but he's totally forgotten the playbook.

2. The main thing that made him change his mind was the stock market, particularly tech stocks and tesla, taking a huge dive after he signed the offer. The $54.20 wasn't just just an overpay but a big overpay, and tesla stock going down made it twice as bad. His loans are secured by his tesla stock -- when tesla goes down he has to put more stock in.

tl;dr it's not about getting owned on twitter, or at least not just about that

I’m not sure this is right. He did have an offer to be on the Board after he bought 9% of the company and turned it down. I think bc if he took the seat it would have limited how much of the company he could buy and limited his powers over the company.

Also it’s hard to find info on the actual structure of the deal. Several sources say musk paid for 2/3 of the company and the other 1/3 is debt backed by twitters own assets. However other articles have mentioned some of Musks advisors as equity partners so :shrug:

Either way, paying that much for twitter seems like a huge mistake. Especially when your first week is spent making it even less valuable.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Free speech my rear end

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Musk, like every other right-wing person, bought into the belief that right-wing voices were literally being silenced on Twitter; and that if he got rid of liberal stuff like "moderation", right-wingers would flock to Twitter in droves. He just didn't count on A)them being a smaller number of users than the libs they desperately want to own, and B)advertisers fleeing the site as it immediately goes up in flames because it turns out there's no money to be made in advertising only to chuds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Entropic posted: