Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

any word on his kit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
oh poo poo it's the dude Doomfist was talking to years ago.

When does he come to game? next season?

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
grand final on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwIV0d62ELY

Cowslips Warren posted:

oh poo poo it's the dude Doomfist was talking to years ago.

When does he come to game? next season?

Yeah, S2, December 6 launch.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Sweet, I just finished unlocking Kiriko so I'm good for a month.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

black.lion posted:

any word on his kit?

no specifics but apparently he has two Modes, one more sigma-esque with the staff and ranged attacks and a shield, and one where he hulks out and presumably goes melee

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

BabyRyoga posted:

Watching league games, it's painfully apparent how bullshit of a char Sojourn is. I don't know how they ever balance that railgun. It's worse than Widow ever has been in terms of "stuff that clearly doesn't belong in this MOBA-like game".
there's so many variables on just railgun alone you can mess with to balance it

how long ult is, how fast you gain charge, charge to 1-tap, damage falloff, get rid of the hitbox increasing with charge, etc.

widow used to 1-tap zen and tracer on the body lol

the most surprising thing is they don't seem to be touching sojourn for the next patch

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

comedyblissoption posted:

there's so many variables on just railgun alone you can mess with to balance it

how long ult is, how fast you gain charge, charge to 1-tap, damage falloff, get rid of the hitbox increasing with charge, etc.

widow used to 1-tap zen and tracer on the body lol

the most surprising thing is they don't seem to be touching sojourn for the next patch

The Hero might be better off if they just change the ult completely. Keep the regular railgun, with some nerfs.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

so he's zenyatta's dad? or brother? sounds older so it can't be zenyatta's son

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
omnics dont have parents/children really, the big Thing in his lore is that he sees omnics as a single-generation species and thus sees the preservation of each life as insanely important since there cant be more

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Calibanibal posted:

so he's zenyatta's dad? or brother? sounds older so it can't be zenyatta's son

he’s omnic killmonger

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Countblanc posted:

omnics dont have parents/children really, the big Thing in his lore is that he sees omnics as a single-generation species and thus sees the preservation of each life as insanely important since there cant be more

Maybe. My prediction is that the new hero is Zenyatta's dad and Echo is Zenyatta's mom. We'll find out whose right

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
thats possible too

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

96 spacejam posted:

Do we know how many endorsments til the next level or is there a xp bar I'm missing?

Need to mathematically see how empathetic I am.

edit: something feels off today and I was messing with a ton of settings yesterday. Can a fellow PC user let me know what their gameplay/mouse settings are? Like internal mouse smoothing wtf?

on the subject of e-levels, I'm a little bit miffed that of all the dumb number rankings I shouldnt care about, I hate that I've dropped down from 5 to 4. the one number I like having.

what a load of poo poo. 0/10 game.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

on the subject of e-levels, I'm a little bit miffed that of all the dumb number rankings I shouldnt care about, I hate that I've dropped down from 5 to 4. the one number I like having.

what a load of poo poo. 0/10 game.

It's probably for the best... the number 4 is very unlucky!!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Bottom Liner posted:

yeah i have no idea who that mode is for because its just flat out worse in every way

I seriously believe that mode is a just a hold-over from OW1 back when individual tanks were not super OP compared to the rest of the team. The game balance is just not built for that way of playing anymore.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

Why just a single generation? Can Omnics not make more?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Cowslips Warren posted:

Why just a single generation? Can Omnics not make more?

apparently not. i dont know why but during the brief interview they did on camera the blizzard lore guy specifically said there cant be more of them made

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah I don’t think it’s ever been mentioned before today that omnic life is finite, right? Whenever one dies, there is no replacement.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

yeah i have no idea who that mode is for because its just flat out worse in every way

unranked open queue is the purest form of overwatch

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

nah i go to mystery heroes for that.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Well suddenly the practice range is kinda depressing

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Mystery heroes is actually

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The fact that Deathmatch keeps TRACK of assists but doesn't award you anything for them is the most "Blizz devs are the stupidest bastards alive" thing yet

editAnd people not prioritizing the person in the lead and letting them pick off stragglers at their leisure... It's like everything bad about 30 years of shooters rolled into one mode for absolute loving morons.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 5, 2022

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Countblanc posted:

apparently not. i dont know why but during the brief interview they did on camera the blizzard lore guy specifically said there cant be more of them made

I'd assume the factories that made them were all shut down/destroyed, and perhaps the code used to program them was lost.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Shadowlyger posted:

the code used to program them was lost.

oh, so that's why the PVE mode never shipped

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
An Omnic went on a holiday and achieved CHIM, then disappeared and they all had souls. Sorry if you were rebooting at the time. loving windows update.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

teagone posted:

Yeah I don’t think it’s ever been mentioned before today that omnic life is finite, right? Whenever one dies, there is no replacement.

I remember it being mentioned in passing in the tracer comic

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

teagone posted:

Wasn't Orisa born from a rebuilt and upgraded OR15 bot? Or did some mysterious happening occur during whatever indeterminate time passed between OW1 and OW2 that caused their version of the Krogan genophage?

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Search my posts in this thread, I fukken called it bro

But seriously I thought Omnics were created in Omniums, some of which were still active. Also, who qualifies as an omnic? Orisa? Bastion? B.O.B.? Is Snowball an omnic?

If Snowball is just a non-omnic digital buddy I don’t know why Mei was so distraught when he drained his battery to buy her time. Surely he can be backed up to a portable drive or an encrypted cloud server…?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Dick Jones posted:

But seriously I thought Omnics were created in Omniums, some of which were still active. Also, who qualifies as an omnic? Orisa? Bastion? B.O.B.? Is Snowball an omnic?

If Snowball is just a non-omnic digital buddy I don’t know why Mei was so distraught when he drained his battery to buy her time. Surely he can be backed up to a portable drive or an encrypted cloud server…?
Yes to all except Snowball. And, no idea on the last question. Echo isn't an Omnic, either, but an AI. As for the "going extinct" thing, it's specifically the humanoid ones. Their omniums were all destroyed, I guess.

Edit
An alternative explanation for Snowball: Mei was alone and stranded. So, it's basically Tom Hanks screaming he'll never forget his friend Wilson, a volleyball with a face.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 5, 2022

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

is there a primer on what i should be doing like on a fundamental level in ranked? i'm just not 'getting' how to play or even function and the unranked strat of just frag out is proving to be highly ineffectual and oftentimes just not feasible, at least the no tactics methods i'm using

Nutsak
Jul 21, 2005
All balls.
Rode the payload for a full minute while the enemy team spawn camped. That was a satisfying win.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Nutsak posted:

Rode the payload for a full minute while the enemy team spawn camped. That was a satisfying win.

It's so fun when you manage to pull it off. I think I did it once or twice before.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Futaba Anzu posted:

is there a primer on what i should be doing like on a fundamental level in ranked? i'm just not 'getting' how to play or even function and the unranked strat of just frag out is proving to be highly ineffectual and oftentimes just not feasible, at least the no tactics methods i'm using
it varies heavily by what character you are playing, but generalized tips to fix big mistakes that happen at all levels of play

in decreasing order of importance:

1. focus on having fun and your own gameplay -- don't focus or highlight the mistakes of your teammates ever
2. corners -- play near cover if possible so you can tuck to avoid death
3. don't stagger -- try to fully commit to starting a fight only when it's even numbers (usually 5v5)
4. use your resources -- find an impactful use for your resources ASAP (e.g. actually use your ashe dynamite or ana nade, use your ultimate abilities like ashe bob, don't die stupidly with a full reinhardt shield or d.va matrix bar, etc.); some few character specific resources should be saved in specific scenarios on reaction
5. have your resources when the fight starts -- don't just random genji deflect or winston bubble or lose your sigma shield w/o a thought and then the fight starts without you having it
6. don't use your ultimate in an already lost or won teamfight (usually means some team is at a 2+-person deficit and the ult won't immediately even the fight)
7. identify the goal or gameplay loop of your character based on your team composition and the enemy's team composition

To have impact in overwatch 2, look for the plays that can lead to a kill or prevent a kill. If that's not possible, look for the plays that burn important resources so that it can lead to a kill. Each battle in overwatch 2 is on a razor's edge and the first death usually determines the fight, which means individual impact is high.

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 5, 2022

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/overwatchcaval/status/1588780303497285633?s=46&t=6kS5WXCxqhKPDaN-bLyvKQ

https://twitter.com/OverwatchNaeri/status/1588780320849276929

his alternate form is the most Kill Six Billion Demons looking poo poo ever

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 5, 2022

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

longer form (corners are at the beginning for a reason):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K0Ee4oLkwQ

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

Futaba Anzu posted:

What role and character are you maining?

Just understanding the dynamics of a fight will take you a long way: because this is 5v5 and runbacks are punishing, a single pick snowballs and can swing a fight drastically. So generally, be conservative and hyper aware of allies and enemies in your vicinity. 90% of the time, you want to be glued to a tank and healer, all pushing in unison. And especially backing away to a healer or cover if you're at risk. Some heroes are good at peeling off to kill flankers like Genji, others are best off firing from the back lines like Zenyatta.

You should basically always be doing something, too. Good Lucios and Symmetras will constantly be shooting projectiles down lanes; regardless of hero, you should generally be using all your abilities on cooldown until you get a feel for how they counter other peoples' abilities.

Pick your fights: class-based means there are counters. Most heroes, for example, should not be dumping into an Orisa by themselves. Prioritize killing healers if you can. Be wary of your hero's hard counters and avoid them.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

role specific advice to fix the #1 role specific errors:

dps:
1. ranged dps (e.g. soldier, hanzo) should default to play angles or high ground that lets them shoot around the enemy tank while still being near enough to support healing or a healthpack -- it's basically impossible to kill a competent tank with cooldowns near a corner but you can kill a squishy
2. flank dps (e.g. tracer, sombra) should time their initiation right when the fight starts so the entire enemy team is not looking at you
3. follow the lead of your dive tank shooting a squishy if possible

support:
1. follow the lead of your tank
2. peel for your other support
3. doing something stupid together with your tank is better than letting your tank die since your tank dying means the fight is over anyways

tank:
1. don't die with defensive resources (e.g. shield, d.matrix, bubble) being unutilized
2. don't prematurely burn your resources all on inconsequential enemy chip damage that is unlikely to lead to a death on your team and then immediately full commit to a teamfight
3. you're allowed to wait around a corner to get your resources back
4. use shields mostly selfishly to enable yourself to do more damage and to block enemy cooldowns. e.g. if you're rein, use your shield to get close or to a corner to swing at the enemy while shielding between swings; don't hold down your shield during a committed teamfight at full health while doing no damage

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Nov 5, 2022

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

f#a# posted:

What role and character are you maining?

Just understanding the dynamics of a fight will take you a long way: because this is 5v5 and runbacks are punishing, a single pick snowballs and can swing a fight drastically. So generally, be conservative and hyper aware of allies and enemies in your vicinity. 90% of the time, you want to be glued to a tank and healer, all pushing in unison. And especially backing away to a healer or cover if you're at risk. Some heroes are good at peeling off to kill flankers like Genji, others are best off firing from the back lines like Zenyatta.

You should basically always be doing something, too. Good Lucios and Symmetras will constantly be shooting projectiles down lanes; regardless of hero, you should generally be using all your abilities on cooldown until you get a feel for how they counter other peoples' abilities.

Pick your fights: class-based means there are counters. Most heroes, for example, should not be dumping into an Orisa by themselves. Prioritize killing healers if you can. Be wary of your hero's hard counters and avoid them.

comedyblissoption posted:

role specific advice to fix the #1 role specific errors:

dps:
1. ranged dps (e.g. soldier, hanzo) should default to play angles or high ground that lets them shoot around the enemy tank while still being near enough to support healing or a healthpack -- it's basically impossible to kill a competent tank with cooldowns near a corner but you can kill a squishy
2. flank dps (e.g. tracer, sombra) should time their initiation right when the fight starts so the entire enemy team is not looking at you
3. follow the lead of your dive tank shooting a squishy if possible

i've been maining reaper in ranked which i'm lead to believe is a flank dps, I think from what you guys say it's really my timing that is insanely loving me over because I can understand the concept of getting around their backs through teleporting but I oftentimes don't take the time to sync up with my team engaging in fights so I just get melted down when I reveal myself. It also doesn't help though that apparently he's one of the fotm 'you have one job and we're going to be investing a lot of resources into you to make you do it' right now so it feels doubly frustrating when I let my team down by being poo poo eheu.
another thing tho is that sometimes i feel like i'm being a real big detriment just constantly trying to go for flanks because that represents wide swaths of time where i'm not functionally doing anything just to get in position. I do notice that enemy reapers show up on occasion in the front lines to tango a bit, I don't know if that's generally a case of play it by ear or not.
i'll definitely check out that video as well just to see what other fundamentals I can address

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
if you're dying a lot as Reaper it probably means you're engaging at bad times (leading to you getting focused and none of your damage sticking since your team can't confirm any of your kills) or you're missing a bunch of your shots (so enemies are living too long and you aren't healing off of life leech). reaper's only ability-based damage is his ultimate, unlike many other DPS who have less aim-reliant ways of dealing damage tied to cooldowns, often from a safe distance relative to reaper's effective range. this means you can get pretty easily get chipped and killed if your aim is bad, which I think is why a lot of people primarily see Reaper as a tank-buster since it's generally the simpler of his two duties (tanks deal less damage, especially from range, and have huge hitboxes)

unfortunately aim only comes with time aside from a few Lifehacks like reducing your mouse sensitivity. improving your strategy and positioning is simpler but i don't think you're going to get much mileage from just reading very general "stay near cover"-style advice just because maps are so varied, your team comp and the enemy team comp matters a lot, and your character choice will change a lot of things. you would be much better served, say, watching a video of a good player (NOT an OWL player because their positioning is highly choreographed in advance and based on organized team calls) playing your role/character. see where they stand, when they chase, which buttons they use to engage and which they use to retreat, etc..