Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Vic posted:

That sounds like a vague threat

i just copied the whole thing into the wiki as a page titled "the OP". the formatting is poo poo obv. idk how to import it. if i can't figure out how to do that, i will delete the wiki page and store it as a backup under my user page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Mescal posted:

i just copied the whole thing into the wiki as a page titled "the OP". the formatting is poo poo obv. idk how to import it. if i can't figure out how to do that, i will delete the wiki page and store it as a backup under my user page.

No dont worry about it and leave it. Everyone can edit everything and it will still show up in the fulltext search.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Detective No. 27 posted:

I’ve been using my spare PS5 controller to good effect. The touchpad works as a mouse cursor too. I was looking forward to using that new 8bitdo Ultimate controller but mine got delayed til next week.

I want my PS5 controller to work as well under Windows on my desktop as it does with my Deck! Geez…

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

stuker posted:

Is there anything in particular you've tweaked for XCOM 2? Performance seemed pretty rough when I tried it out, though ProtonDB mentions the GE version working better and I haven't given that a shot yet.

Question is a couple days old, but i hope this is still helpful:
I did actually turn down some in-game graphical effects, forgot about that. It defaulted to the maximum settings, which do not make sense to me in portable mode.
So i turned the graphics to "High" instead. Just the inn-game presets, no further tinkering. I did not change whatever other standard setting the game has on steam deck. I am sure, there is more room for optimization but i did not see a need yet.

Technically i am playing the War of the Chosen Version, which might be different. There is a launcher to select vanilla XCOM 2 or WOTC.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

So I got that "Feirsh" case and yeah it's basically the same as the JSAUX one. They're not 100% identical (most prominently, those two loops for an add-on strap are missing) but it's close enough where I'd suggest going with the much cheaper one.

PageMaster posted:

Sure, I used this one

It's $39 now, but they give away $3-$5 coupons like candy and there wasn't any tax/shipping separate (I think that includes any customs fees they would need to pay). Once you order, they'll send you a message, or you send them a message, with your RX. Took 2 days to make then ship, and 10 days for shipping to California for me. Note that this is just the lenses (and a tiny screwdriver), so you'll need the adapter and screws that came with the Airs.

Thank you for this!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Domain registered, and http://goondeckwiki.com is a go.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Vic posted:

Goon deck wiki ded :(

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Communist Bear posted:

Goon deck wiki ded :(

It's not tho. Give it a few hours, I know it takes a while for the DNS servers to get updated globally.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Mescal posted:

oh dear no, i feel much more comfortable in a coordinator-facilitator role. making connections, seeing from the bird's eye! for example, i can see you've shown yourself to be diligent and detain-oriented, with a passion for explaining things. for your record of expertise, i nominate you to write the beginner's guide, which I will then link to in the OP.

see? great system. with our show of teamwork, you and vic and i (among others whose names go without saying) demonstrate good leadership that did and will serve as inspiration to all posters--and make this community continue to thrive and shine.
Can't argue with that. I'll get started in the coming days. You'd make a good project manager.

Vic posted:

Sweet. Going to get HTTPS going next?

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 5, 2022

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mines getting here Monday! Very surprised how fast. Also I found my controller I wanted to use, I'll ask for the ultimate controller for Christmas

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I'm going to put out another warning about the 8BitDo Ultimate. Check out ETA Prime's review. Analog trigger support appears problematic.

If you just want to use it as a Pro Controller (Bluetooth) and don't need analog triggers then it's fine.

It's still baffling to me why they changed up their previous four-way compatibility modes they had been using on the SN30 Pro series.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Atomizer posted:

So I got that "Feirsh" case and yeah it's basically the same as the JSAUX one. They're not 100% identical (most prominently, those two loops for an add-on strap are missing) but it's close enough where I'd suggest going with the much cheaper one.

Thank you for this!

yeah it looks like all the 3rd party steam deck cases for the most part are like Just all the same design for the most part. I assume someone di the work.. designed it.. then the factory made a bunch of runoffs and it's now sold by different "brands" on amazon.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

tater_salad posted:

yeah it looks like all the 3rd party steam deck cases for the most part are like Just all the same design for the most part. I assume someone di the work.. designed it.. then the factory made a bunch of runoffs and it's now sold by different "brands" on amazon.

a cheapo would be good to, like i said before, gut the padding and see what else you can fit. i'm not worried about fall damage just scratches. speaking of which i should get a protective film. you could inject some gel or push some of those tiny foam packing pellets in then sew it shut again.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

Atomizer posted:

Thank you for this!

No worries, good luck! I remember how bummed I was finally getting the Airs and realizing they looked like garbage with my eyes so this was a huge relief.

On the flip-side, where I was previously stuck trying my best to to justify still playing games on my gaming PC build just finished last year instead of my deck all the time, now I also get to be stuck trying to justify playing on my 34" gaming monitor instead of these AR lenses. I do like my gaming monitors just because I get higher resolutions and frames and gsync, plus it's a lot more comfortable to use (the Air's do give me eye strain) and I can multitask. BUT, the Air's give me about the same visual field as my monitor does, looks sharper, and are basically a large OLED screen, which gives you all the benefits of those (very vibrant colors, high contrast, and while not technically HDR, the brights actually feel really bright) compared to my IPS monitor. Also, the speakers aren't really talked about much, but I think are really good and a huge plus (I love them on my Bose Tempo frames and these are pretty much the same). I've basically been slowly buying my way out of using my computer because of the Steam Deck without realizing it and I'm not sure how I feel about it; I never thought I'd be asking, "is it really worth booting up the PC for this?"

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 5, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I’m really bummed that my optician isn’t done with my Air lenses yet, because I’ve got 8 hours of train travel next week and would love to be a game-playing cyberdude for it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

those glasses are started to tempt me lol

is there a reason a game like Okami, which has official dev's scheme for steam controller, has incorrect bindings on the steam deck? i thought steam controller layouts would xfer perfectly

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

check out the free game/tool Aimlab to see what the difference between sticks, trackpads, gyro REALLY is, in numbers.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

they all have the same hardware just tell me the numbers

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

How’s the Deck perform hooked up to a living room TV? I’ve been thinking about getting a “couch potato PC” and if the Deck+Dock works well that way it seems like it’s easily the most cost effective option. It seems a little silly getting a handheld for primarily TV gaming, but I barely ever use my Switch undocked and I still like it plenty.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

runchild posted:

How’s the Deck perform hooked up to a living room TV? I’ve been thinking about getting a “couch potato PC” and if the Deck+Dock works well that way it seems like it’s easily the most cost effective option. It seems a little silly getting a handheld for primarily TV gaming, but I barely ever use my Switch undocked and I still like it plenty.

With any decent controller, great

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

runchild posted:

It's been 99% of how I've been using it and great. I had an old Ps4 controller I wasn't using so paired it with that.

Magic Shortbus
Jul 22, 2002

Subjunctive posted:

I want my PS5 controller to work as well under Windows on my desktop as it does with my Deck! Geez…

Steam Input works the same on Windows as it does on Steam Deck. You may need to toggle on Playstation support but Steam on Windows has a desktop input configuration profile you can use your Dualsense with.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

runchild posted:

Honestly I'd like not recommend it on principle. The Xbox Series S is probably the most cost effective option if you're not tied specifically to Steam/PC.

If you want a PC, in theory you'd get much better performance out of a 30W+ TDP AMD Ryzen 6000 APU like the upcoming ASUS PN53, but the cost is definitely going to be higher than the (heavily subsidized) 64 GB Deck model, probably closer to the 512 one. There's some cheaper mini PCs, like the ASUS PN51-S1 which Amazon has on sale for $349 (you still have to add RAM and a disk). Also these older models tend to use DDR4 RAM, so the Deck still beats them in memory bandwidth (LPDDR5). But with this option you're still (partially) building a PC, installing Windows or Pop!_OS, and janitoring it yourself.

So yes, you're right that using the Deck permanently docked might be the most cost effective option and perhaps the one with the least headache just given Valve's investment and its popularity, even if ultimately it's performance limited compared to mini-PC equivalents. It just "feels" wrong.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 5, 2022

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

i think it's a great idea if they want to use it as a console for deck verified games. but if you're not in love with the deck specifically you won't want to do the research, setup, maintenance involved in getting it to do everything you want. what matters is the games you want to play. buy whatever plays them best.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The series s is going to be $240 at Costco starting on the 17th and yeah it’s a great way to go tbh.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

runchild posted:

You might run into issues with blurry upscaling unless the game is able to run at least 1080p, but otherwise it's absolutely fine.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Been playing Chronicon on the deck. Battery lasts forever and it's a great 2d Diablo 3 like game. Had to run under proton experimental because otherwise one of the very few buttons (select) doesn't map on the deck. Just happens to be the inventory button which is really inconvenient in this type of game, lol. Feels better doing this than trying to emulate a mouse and having more commands available to me at least because the controller support seems decent otherwise.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Dr Sun Try posted:

Question is a couple days old, but i hope this is still helpful:
I did actually turn down some in-game graphical effects, forgot about that. It defaulted to the maximum settings, which do not make sense to me in portable mode.
So i turned the graphics to "High" instead. Just the inn-game presets, no further tinkering. I did not change whatever other standard setting the game has on steam deck. I am sure, there is more room for optimization but i did not see a need yet.

Technically i am playing the War of the Chosen Version, which might be different. There is a launcher to select vanilla XCOM 2 or WOTC.

Definitely helpful, thank you! I was playing vanilla, but didn't realize defaults were set to maximum-- I'll mess with that a bit.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Suburban Dad posted:

Been playing Chronicon on the deck. Battery lasts forever and it's a great 2d Diablo 3 like game. Had to run under proton experimental because otherwise one of the very few buttons (select) doesn't map on the deck. Just happens to be the inventory button which is really inconvenient in this type of game, lol. Feels better doing this than trying to emulate a mouse and having more commands available to me at least because the controller support seems decent otherwise.

Oo yeah I love Chronicon, that's a good call. A really nice ARPG with fun character classes.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Honestly I'd like not recommend it on principle. The Xbox Series S is probably the most cost effective option if you're not tied specifically to Steam/PC.

MarcusSA posted:

The series s is going to be $240 at Costco starting on the 17th and yeah it’s a great way to go tbh.

I’ve got a Series X already, actually! But there’s stuff I want to play that’s only available on PC. Ideally a stronger non-Linux PC would cover everything on that list, but a Steam Deck would probably handle 90% of it for a fraction of the price.

I’ll probably just keep it theoretical for now, it’s not like I have a lack of games to play. But it’s good to know more about it, so thanks for the input everyone.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Anyone playing Minecraft (ideally the Bedrock variant of whatever) on the Deck? Thinking of getting one for a friend’s kid for Christmas because the iPad experience is so bad. I was thinking of building a PC with her starting from my spare parts (Ryzen 3600, 1080 non-Ti, some barely-used SSD) but she could take a Deck to her dad’s as well, and then just dock it to a monitor/keyboard/mouse at home.

That’s all predicated on Minecraft playing well on the Deck though, and I haven’t had time to get it set up and try it out. Anybody know what the score is?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

MCPElauncher runs fine, but may still be a couple of updates behind the current android/bedrock versions, which may affect online play

^^So the android store one works fine if you own it, except its not up to date with the newest releases. Apparently the back end changes significantly each update and the main dev isn't overly enthusiastic about working on it due to getting abused for not letting people play with ripped apks or something.

Failing that java versions work OK, and also streaming from your desktop if you bind the keys to the pads

(my minecraft days are over except for when my son wants me to join him, so spent lots of time seeing how this would work)

e: as a gift for a child: at this point only if they can deal with java mc / don't want to have guaranteed access to the marketplace or playing with friends

Chubby Henparty fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 5, 2022

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks, that’s really helpful.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The way I see it the switch was designed to be played at home but you could also take it on the go. Where the Steam Deck was designed to be taken on the go first, where playing at home is kind of secondary. The switch is so uncomfortable to hold in my hands now.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Comedy answer: play the switch h or ps3 version of mine craft on it

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

digital foundry just released a video on persona 5 where they recommended playing it on an OLED switch rather than a deck because of the game's heavy reliance on pure blacks in its UX and gameplay design

really hope the next deck iteration comes with OLED because it's noticeable for many games

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
got one of those K380 keyboards, works pretty good with the deck(aside from this weird bug in Steam UI where selecting the search bar with a keyboard or mouse instead of game controls causes it to make this annoying clicking sound forever until you deselect the search bar)

also making this post from Chrome in Desktop mode cause why not(was testing how YouTube works on here and I figured why not)

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

shrike82 posted:

digital foundry just released a video on persona 5 where they recommended playing it on an OLED switch rather than a deck because of the game's heavy reliance on pure blacks in its UX and gameplay design

really hope the next deck iteration comes with OLED because it's noticeable for many games

It's a bit of a strange one because they pretty much said the switch is garbage for all other aspects of the game.

The black is noticeable though.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
He also recommended locking it at 30fps instead of changing the refresh rate to 50 if he was getting frame drops. The game seems pretty single core CPU limited or something like that when a lot of NPCs are on the screen (my 3900X/3080 PC drops into the 70s on the title screen and the settings can't do anything about it). Since running on Deck at 1080 gives a nice pass of supersample antialiasing I think the unqualified Switch recommendation is a weird one, and shows a lack of familiarity with how the Deck works. Oliver Mackenzie's coverage has been improving but I think he's missed the mark there.

Also, speaking as someone who has both the original Switch and a Lite, I'm definitely not in any way inclined to spend money on any more Nintendo hardware without a significant power boost. I'd rather buy an Ayaneo Air if I wanted a portable OLED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'd love it it someone made a diy screen replacement that was OLED...