Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

People in this thread talking about when Twitter dies and/or when it has its first big outage but I have to think that right now, Twitter has THE biggest target in its back for LOLz hackers and even probably state level hackers. There can’t be a riper target with its pants down right now. And getting hacked right now would just absolutely devastate Twitter, and probably Tesla stock as well as Twitter crashes into a mountain because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
im hacking the twitter mainframe now

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Trust fund dipshit finds a way to step on his own dick

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

I only use Twitter for following various infosec people to keep up with the industry. Looks like some of them are trying out mastodon and mentioned https://infosec.exchange so I registered there this morning without any issue. I have no idea what the pros and cons are of registering on particular servers are but I have a feed of a few people to scroll through now /shrug

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I wonder who the first celebrity to get mad when someone verifies a fake account of them shilling crypto or something will be

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Entropic posted:

I think the interesting question is, what is the next shiny jangling thing that will distract Elon and become his new obsession distracing him from Twitter?

He's gonna buy out Pocket Pussy, in a desperate attempt to get cash flow going from that robot project that's otherwise been a dud

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

someone startup an SA mastodon node so that we can have offsite drama and a schism in a few years, a little work now as an investment toward the promise of big comedy later

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
https://mobile.twitter.com/MNateShyamalan/status/1588660685227315200

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Robo Reagan posted:

im hacking the twitter mainframe now

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

American hero KenM :patriot:

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

worm girl posted:

Because people like that often don't climb. They're born on third and eased into executive positions while everybody else breaks their back to make up for their incompetence.

Edwardly
Jun 28, 2011

Stoatbringer posted:

Years ago, back in the early days of computing, idiot bosses decided it would be a good idea to pay developers based on the number of lines of code they wrote.

All of a sudden everything would be written in the most long-winded, bloated manner possible with endless descriptive comments padding everything out.

code:
/**
 * Utility method to sum two numbers and return the result.
 * For other operations, please see subtractNumbers, multiplyNumbers and divideNumbers.
 * @param A The first number to add
 * @param B The second number to add
 * @returns sum of A and B
 **/

public int addNumbers(int A,
                                          int B) {

if (logger.isDebugEnabled())
  {
    logger.debug("Enter addNumbers with" + A + ", " + B);
  }

// Super optimisation, don't bother adding if A is 0
  if (A == 0 && B != 0)
  {
     return B;
  }

// More super optimisation, don't bother adding if B is 0
  if (A != 0 && B == 0)
  {
    return A;
  }

// Redundant, but just in case
  if (A == 0 && B == 0)
  {
    return 0;
  }

int sum;

sum = A;

sum = sum
                +
                 B;

{
    logger.debug("Result of adding " + A + " " + B + " is " + sum);
  }

{
    logger.debug("Exit addNumbers");
  }

}

This doesn't actually return sum. I love it.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Lol at elon going around tweeting "$8" at people critical of him like its some kind of sick burn

He's more corncob than man at this point

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Stoatbringer posted:

Years ago, back in the early days of computing, idiot bosses decided it would be a good idea to pay developers based on the number of lines of code they wrote.

All of a sudden everything would be written in the most long-winded, bloated manner possible with endless descriptive comments padding everything out.

code:
/**
 * Utility method to sum two numbers and return the result.
 * For other operations, please see subtractNumbers, multiplyNumbers and divideNumbers.
 * @param A The first number to add
 * @param B The second number to add
 * @returns sum of A and B
 **/

public int addNumbers(int A,
                                          int B) {

{
    logger.debug("Enter addNumbers with" + A + ", " + B);
  }

// Super optimisation, don't bother adding if A is 0
  if (A == 0 && B != 0)
  {
     return B;
  }

// More super optimisation, don't bother adding if B is 0
  if (A != 0 && B == 0)
  {
    return A;
  }

// Redundant, but just in case
  if (A == 0 && B == 0)
  {
    return 0;
  }

int sum;

sum = A;

sum = sum
                +
                 B;

{
    logger.debug("Result of adding " + A + " " + B + " is " + sum);
  }

{
    logger.debug("Exit addNumbers");
  }

}

That's actually some decent code. Fast to understand for an unfamiliar person, easy to debug and easy to maintain. Certainly beats obtuse undocumented poo poo like

code:

public IValue Adv(IProvider vp1, IProvider vp2)
{
   return _atp.Execute(vp1.Get(), vp2.Get());
}

What does it do? Nobody knows! The guy who wrote this died in a kickboxing tournament 6 years ago. To find out you gonna have to go on a long and very boring quest through 1000 lines of code

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Mastadon reminded me of IRC, where you could join any server and see and talk to anyone on the network.

But they don't really explain that very well, and most people now-a-days have no frame of reference for IRC or how it works so good luck that being a viable explanation.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/DianeSevenay/status/1588544517157765121

lol that this tweet got a warning, whatever happened to "comedy is now legal"?

Edit: guess warnings don't show up on embeds; click through to see the warning

beer_war posted:

I keep seeing this, but, uh, who reported it?

best I can figure it's based on a Bloomberg article where musk talked about people with fewer than 100 lines of code per month or something

Azhais fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Nov 5, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
He keeps saying you need to pay 8 dollars to speak, but that’s not how his own system works? You can post without being verified so what is he even trying to say

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

davecrazy posted:

people now-a-days have no frame of reference for IRC or how it works

:rubby:

Slack and Discord are very popular

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

davecrazy posted:

Mastadon reminded me of IRC, where you could join any server and see and talk to anyone on the network.

But they don't really explain that very well, and most people now-a-days have no frame of reference for IRC or how it works so good luck that being a viable explanation.
I'm so glad I can use irc knowledge again.

No see instead of a company that has a department and procedures your social network is controlled by an admin.

Oh, the admin? It's someone who has three key characteristics - a small amount of money, a huge amount of free time, and a need to have any kind of power. Yes, the best case scenario is this person turns out to be a sex pest. Yes they can spy on you or kick you out.

Every few months the admins, ops, and moderators will have a massive schism and now you have to be in two servers to talk to everyone. Yes, this is inevitable.

Why is this better? It's libertarian, it's not supposed to be better.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sophy Wackles posted:

I’m not sure this is right. He did have an offer to be on the Board after he bought 9% of the company and turned it down. I think bc if he took the seat it would have limited how much of the company he could buy and limited his powers over the company.

Also it’s hard to find info on the actual structure of the deal. Several sources say musk paid for 2/3 of the company and the other 1/3 is debt backed by twitters own assets. However other articles have mentioned some of Musks advisors as equity partners so :shrug:

Hmmm, yeah, I guess it was Musk that rejected the board seat not the other way around. I am not exactly certain about the sequence of events then, or the possible reason behind it. Maybe acquisition was always the goal.

But the loans thing:
1.$13 billion is in debt financing. This is loans that are owed by twitter, and secured by twitter's assets. If Musk flushes twitter down the toilet and it becomes completely worthless the banks have to say "well poo poo" and eat a loss. But if Elon doesn't want to flush twitter, those loans & interest have to be paid. Thus his freak-out about advertisers and firing everyone.
2. $27 billion was from Musk, in cash. He had to sell tesla shares to afford it, and I think some of the rest is also loans to Elon himself secured by his shares of tesla. Regardless of what happens to twitter, Elon still has to pay back that money.
3. The rest is from other people and is buying minority ownership.

Sophy Wackles posted:

Either way, paying that much for twitter seems like a huge mistake. Especially when your first week is spent making it even less valuable.

Yuuuup. :munch:

Kumo
Jul 31, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

He keeps saying you need to pay 8 dollars to speak, but that’s not how his own system works? You can post without being verified so what is he even trying to say

I think he’s trying to recoup some money fast by imagining, and not incorrectly, that bluechecks have an investment in the site & like the attention so much they would pay for a subscription- which is just a fancy toll road on a previously free product or service and a usual way these types try to make a quick buck.

His problem was he almost immediately started bargaining against himself in that Stephen King tweet, so everyone saw through the bullshit.

There might have been a way to get bluechecks to pay, with a mind to charge everyone in the future but that opportunity is lost now, maybe forever.

What a stupid time to be alive.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

beer_war posted:

I keep seeing this, but, uh, who reported it?

https://twitter.com/caseynewton/status/1586127052767318016

Then you also have

https://twitter.com/leahculver/status/1586145696163373056

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

lol

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Did this get posted?

Elon's new plan is to shadowban everyone who doesn't pay the $8

https://twitter.com/somebadideas/status/1588876465915166721?s=46&t=nH8SObgHb8DB2SaCCcz5mQ

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
July 7th, 2023 is the date the sparrow falls out of its nest.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Nelson Mandingo posted:

100% dead. If there was hunger for a right wing social media website Truth Social would have been it. But there isn't.

This was the "concerning" thing to me as the Twitter purchase rumors were swirling (which now seems like a silly thing to have worried about in hindsight). Conservatives couldn't figure out how to build their own social media site, so why not just buy one that's already up and running? As it turns out, the problem is actually that conservatives don't know how to run a social media site. At least, not one that appeals to a wider audience.

Entropic posted:

It’s not possible for a right wing social media site to ever really succeed at a large scale because the right wing social media audience, whatever they might say, doesn’t actually want an all-right-wing space, they want and need the libs to be there to yell at and dunk on. Whenever they try to build a no-libs-allowed clubhouse it quickly falls apart because they have no one there to trigger and triggering the libs is the one thing they actually live for.

This too.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dacap posted:

Did this get posted?

https://twitter.com/somebadideas/status/1588876465915166721?s=46&t=nH8SObgHb8DB2SaCCcz5mQ

Thus all 200 million users will be forced to pay $8 a month, thus making Elon a healthy 19 Billion per year. :colbert:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Entropic posted:

It’s not possible for a right wing social media site to ever really succeed at a large scale because the right wing social media audience, whatever they might say, doesn’t actually want an all-right-wing space, they want and need the libs to be there to yell at and dunk on. Whenever they try to build a no-libs-allowed clubhouse it quickly falls apart because they have no one there to trigger and triggering the libs is the one thing they actually live for.

Also, no one but the Mike Lindell's of this world are ever going to hand over a dime in advertising in such a site.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So it's clear only complete idiots will pay Musk $8 for a checkmark.

This raises the question though, how many chuds will throw money at this to own the libs? Enough to sustain twitter with half employees and no ad revenue?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

This raises the question though, how many chuds will throw money at this to own the libs? Enough to sustain twitter with half employees and no ad revenue?

im actually gonna go with a surprisingly low amount

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean since Musk seems to be turning a checkmark into exactly what right wingers think it is I can see many of them paying just to feel important

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

mobby_6kl posted:

I think a lot of people are going to for a week or two on jokes. "Attention all students school is closed today due to a boiler leak"

$8 for a day home is pretty sweet until they figure out who it was but teenagers don't think that far.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
I am satisfied that about 90% of the web comics I follow on Twitter are also on Instagram and I don't have to adjust anything to continue seeing what I want to see.

Any visual artist that's on Twitter has already been on Instagram for ages, and they will all probably shift over there in the coming collapse since IG is image oriented and the other social media options aren't.

Dacap posted:

Did this get posted?

Oh man. I can't wait to click on "trending" and see that some truck-nutz company paid for 70k Russian spambot upvotes to advertise for free, or some rightwing nut doing the same for his idiotic talking point / podcast / truck cab speech.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

hemale in pain posted:

I'm gonna go with an unsurprisingly low amount

It's the same amount you're predicting, but it won't be surprising at all.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

Dacap posted:

Did this get posted?

The fact that he's not being laughed off the stage by all these rich investors, for this hilariously flawed logic, says a lot about how smart rich people really are.

hemale in pain posted:

Yeah, just like with their boycots, they only talk about doing things but almost none of them actually follow through because that would require, well...doing something. Why do something when you can whine about being cancelled instead

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

mobby_6kl posted:

he should've just kept the price at $20 because only idiots are going to pay it and they aren't that price sensitive. there is a class of libowner who would gladly pay $20/mo as a public badge of their dedication to libowning and elon, as the site slowly dries up around them. he might as well milk it for all its worth in these first few months.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Steadiman posted:

The fact that he's not being laughed off the stage by all these rich investors, for this hilariously flawed logic, says a lot about how smart rich people really are.

Well they can always short it why tip your hat to the other investors that aren't as tech savy? Wait this is private isn't it. I don't know they should just turn around and leave heard enough.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
My annoyance with all this is that twitter was actually somewhat useful for extremely breaking news stories and following various journos and commentators. Now that it is devolved into a toxic hellhole (even moreso, that is) there’s no real replacement. It’s an almost impossible thing to replicate twitter at its peak usefulness with a combination of useful information and free cost.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
did anyone find a good way to export dm's? the official feature unsurprisingly sucks. but i also don't feel like leaving the dm's up is great either, even though they probably won't technically be deleted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Steadiman posted:

Yeah, just like with their boycots, they only talk about doing things but almost none of them actually follow through because that would require, well...doing something. Why do something when you can whine about being cancelled instead

worse than doing something... spending money unnecessarily