Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

After a long break I've made some progress finally:

Fire Giant: was stuck here before, this guy sucks, the camera sucks, his moveset sucks. I tried summoning and some of the advice online (e.g. use the medium sized bubble horn) and it worked ok, but didn't get me there. In the end dual wielding greatswords + a random ashes got me there, learnt to identify moves from the lighting effects/shadows. Didn't have alexander as i haven't done enough of his quest i think

Godskin Duo: honestly not as bad as everyone says if you summon? recusant bernhardt is super beefy, as were the +10 Leyndell Soldiers I summoned as ashes. once you get the hang of not getting trapped by the roll move it's fine, especially if you focus them down so that most of the fight it's just one of them. The first time one respawned felt like serious BS though, and is totally unnecessary.

Placidusax: some messages took me here, looks better than most dragon fights and I was doing OK damage to him. didn't try again after my first attempt as he's obviously optional and the bonfire run sucked. i haven't killed a single dragon the entire game as giant enemies just aren't that fun.

Malekith: the first stage i enjoy and feel like it wouldn't be hard to get good and dodge most of the attacks. however it's over super fast and i'm a bit stuck on the second. there's almost zero time to heal and so many sequences kill me if i'm not fully topped up (I have about 1650 health and the +2 dragoncrest shield). the soldier ashes have OK survivability against him and I do really good damage, it's just really hard to get a window in, i've given up trying to hit the 2nd stage with the blasphemous blade weapon ash. Mostly i'm trading blows then trying and failing to heal. The dude in front of the boss fog is kinda annoying because he stops the boss run being relaxing.

farum azula has some fun enemies in it, but it's so big and so hard to navigate that i mostly just run past stuff, only clearing areas to grab items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
If you kill the guy in front of the door he doesn't respawn, though in my first playthrough I died more to him than Maliketh. If you can fit the holy damage negation talisman that'll help against Maliketh, all the red stuff is holy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I never fought or died to that sentinel I always ran by him.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

distortion park posted:

giant enemies just aren't that fun.

The Medium Doot makes giant enemies quite fun.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

I hadn't even considered actually fighting him either, the boss door is right there! My summons seem to aggro on him through the fog though for a bit

Fenrisulfr posted:

If you kill the guy in front of the door he doesn't respawn, though in my first playthrough I died more to him than Maliketh. If you can fit the holy damage negation talisman that'll help against Maliketh, all the red stuff is holy.

Thanks, that's useful tips. I might go and finally grab the mimic tear at this point as well

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fenrisulfr posted:

Yeah, this is important to remember - all of those glowing red Destined Death attacks (like from the Black Knives) deal Holy damage. In other words, yes, you do want to summon Tiche against Deathbirds and Tibia Mariners.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
You've heard of the No Hit Run, now prepare yourself for the even more legendary All-Hit Run.

https://youtu.be/_Pd5weoBjcE

Motherfucker just decided to face tank the entire game. Absolute mad lad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I like Bushy the most out of all the Elden Ring challenge streamers because he seems to be genuinely good at the game, although that doesn't really come through by the nature of this run lmao.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's an interesting way of pushing the game's RPG systems to their absolute limit. Even then it looks like his strategy for Malenia boiled down to 'get a run when she doesn't use Spirits' when all else was said and done

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Huh, Ordovis and his buddy weren't quite as nightmarish as they usually are when I faced them with my samurai build. Probably helps that the damage output of dual keen uchigatanas is absolutely phenomenal, so I could drop the dude with the spear much faster than usual.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Like with Pontiff Sulyvahn and Champion Gundyr, I don't know how to fight Crucible Knights without parrying.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
"Poorly."

Actually you find somewhere nearby out of their reach and shoot them to death while laughing at them.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I can't loving parry anything, even with a shield with Golden Parry, or a buckler. I've never been able to parry since Dark Souls 1. I don't think I will ever play a From game where I can reliably parry.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

Like with Pontiff Sulyvahn and Champion Gundyr, I don't know how to fight Crucible Knights without parrying.

Greatshield and guard counter/shield bash. Kind of boring but it gets the job done.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You can roll through their attacks and hit them when they finish an attack chain, but it's sort of trickier than parrying because you have to figure out when the chain has ended.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

don't forget to hop their tantrum stomp, usually sets you up with perfect timing for a parry on a followup strike too

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You can roll through their attacks and hit them when they finish an attack chain, but it's sort of trickier than parrying because you have to figure out when the chain has ended.

I am also crap at parries. One of the greatest boons to my boss fighting ability in this game was learning to identify the exact moment an enemy has fully committed to resetting to their default stance. Part of it is watching them for long enough to fully learn their animations, but part of it is also learning their AI. There are several points in their moveset where a combo will end or keep going based entirely on how close you are to them. You can get far enough away for them to end the combo, and then sprint or jump back in to strike them once they've committed to a stance reset.

As far as concrete openings go, sword and shield knights are left open after their thrust, their shield bash, and their stomp into double swing combo in phase 1. A surprisingly reliable way to deal damage is to just tap their shield to bait out a shield bash, then roll through it and punish them. These openings are less reliable in phase 2, where they can cancel their recovery animation into a tail swipe, but they can only swipe once if they do it at the end of another move, so that becomes the new opening. If you're beside or behind them when a move ends, they will pretty reliably try to swipe you, so bait it out and punish them. You can jump it if you're feeling stylish. You can also jump their earth stomp, though they usually use that to start combos, so I wouldn't take it as an attack opening.

Spear knights have never been that hard for me, so I've never really had to think about fighting them, and thus I have less concrete advice to give. I will say that jump attacks work wonders on them, since you land in a crouch that makes you just short enough for most of their attacks to go over you. Their moveset also has longer delays than the sword ones, long enough that you can sometimes sneak attacks into the middle of their strings.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly, I find that baiting attacks until they throw out something I know is an unsafe move (like their forward stab, or the end of their two-handed sword combo, or most big moves for the Tree Knights) and dodging through to smack them one or two works surprisingly well, now I'm playing a character who can't block or parry. The damage you can do from that adds up faster than you might think.

They're most dangerous in neutral thanks to their massive poise and deceptively fast, long-ranged attacks, so letting them take a swing at you, dodging away, and learning if it's a combo you can exploit is the best way to take them apart.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Node posted:

I can't loving parry anything, even with a shield with Golden Parry, or a buckler. I've never been able to parry since Dark Souls 1. I don't think I will ever play a From game where I can reliably parry.

Same, apart from Bloodborne

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Parry timings in this game are too irregular and every other boss has some lame gotcha hanging frame attack. That's why I :justpost: except with R1.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I didn't parry outside Bloodborne until Pontiff and Champion Gundyr in 3 and it was pretty easy with the buckler.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Got to the elden beast. Radogan is my favourite of the last few fights (Gideon was also a cool concept but was kinda weak), even his aoes are kinda bs though. And Godfrey's suck rear end, eventually I switched to a shield and summoned a human.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

Giant moon laser made him pop real good.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gideon being kinda weak actually really fits his character imo

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I might be a brainless follower but once I heard Bonfireside Chat say that Hoarah Loux is too nerdy, I'm kinda fully in that camp. Maybe-ironic metal gear revengeance badass just doesn't belong in a Soulsborne. All the goofy/nerdy/funny stuff in these games I would describe as "confidently uncanny", blood soaked coolguy pro wrestler just doesn't fit at all

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Actually Hoarah Loux rules and is the best. I hope the DLC is Badlands focused and we get items that let us do wrestling moves

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

Gideon being kinda weak actually really fits his character imo

Gideon is very funny in randomizers to me because he can be incredibly hard in specific situations

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The second phase cutscene for Godfrey was one of the coolest things in any game ever. I couldn't have been more hype.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

feelix posted:

I might be a brainless follower but once I heard Bonfireside Chat say that Hoarah Loux is too nerdy, I'm kinda fully in that camp. Maybe-ironic metal gear revengeance badass just doesn't belong in a Soulsborne. All the goofy/nerdy/funny stuff in these games I would describe as "confidently uncanny", blood soaked coolguy pro wrestler just doesn't fit at all

I agree, I wasn't a fan of that bit of design (although some of the moves were cool) on a mainline endgame boss. Radogan is everything I want out of a soulsbourne boss.

e: the cutscene is good though. He kills his pet!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Gideon always gives me a lot of trouble if I don't beat him the first time, the triple rings of light is a constant pain in the rear end if you're like me and only ever play melee. Miss one stagger and he gets into a rotation that's really hard to disrupt.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Epic High Five posted:

Actually Hoarah Loux rules and is the best. I hope the DLC is Badlands focused and we get items that let us do wrestling moves

:hmmyes: give me more grapple ashes for fist weapons. Lifesteal Fist is a good start but I want a suplex

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Angry Diplomat posted:

:hmmyes: give me more grapple ashes for fist weapons. Lifesteal Fist is a good start but I want a suplex

A fist weapon unique stagger where they're standing there dazed and weaving around on their feet and your riposte is any number of wrestling moves. Also there's like a 5% chance the stagger is a feint and instead of the face finally defeating the reviled heel it's turned around on them into a German suplex as wandering nobles start booing

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just think about how well it would synergize with the emote system in PvP

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Epic High Five posted:

Epic High Five posted:

Just think about how well it would synergize with the emote system in PvP

Epic High Five posted:

A fist weapon unique stagger where they're standing there dazed and weaving around on their feet and your riposte is any number of wrestling moves. Also there's like a 5% chance the stagger is a feint and instead of the face finally defeating the reviled heel it's turned around on them into a German suplex as wandering nobles start booing

I am not immune to this, I love MGR for example. It just doesn't fit. There is nothing else in ER or any Soulsborne that rides the line between ironic and genuine appreciation. I have no idea what camp you're in, but there are undoubtedly some people who think Hoarah Loux is a tough badass and there's nothing funny about him and that's why they like him, and there are undoubtedly others who think he's stupid and funny and like him despite or because of that. There is nothing else in the game like that. Nobody thinks sonic rolling goats are bad rear end (no, not even you, person who's gonna tell me they're bad rear end as a joke).

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Hoarah Loux doesn't come off as an ironic joke in any capacity to me. I wouldn't even see him being out of place in Sekiro. He's not exactly the picture of "badass" which is usually associated with being either effortlessly cool or righteously angry. Instead he's basically a raging animal whose long-suppressed barely controllable bloodlust has finally broken loose.

If anything strikes me as being an over-the-top bit of semi-serious badassery it's Godrick cutting the head off a dragon to use it as an arm.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

feelix posted:

I am not immune to this, I love MGR for example. It just doesn't fit. There is nothing else in ER or any Soulsborne that rides the line between ironic and genuine appreciation. I have no idea what camp you're in, but there are undoubtedly some people who think Hoarah Loux is a tough badass and there's nothing funny about him and that's why they like him, and there are undoubtedly others who think he's stupid and funny and like him despite or because of that. There is nothing else in the game like that. Nobody thinks sonic rolling goats are bad rear end (no, not even you, person who's gonna tell me they're bad rear end as a joke).

what are you even talking about

Theres like half a dozen bosses in each fromsoft game that fit about as well into " a fromsoft game" as Hoarah Loux like heck, even in the same game you have Malenia who's even way closer to an actual MGR character and has a way nerdier second and even first phase.

an incomplete list of from bosses who can only be appreciated "ironically":

Pontiff Sulyvahn
Malenia
Artorias
Ludwig, the holy blade
Bladewolf Sif
The Pursuer
The One Reborn

Canine Conspiracy
Dec 16, 2011

The guy who goes from hardass axe-wielding king to screaming blood-drenched berserker who wants to slam your face into the ground is full on original books Conan the Barbarian, one of the most enduringly popular examples of the whole dark fantasy genre. I don't think it's out of tone at all.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Canine Conspiracy posted:

The guy who goes from hardass axe-wielding king to screaming blood-drenched berserker who wants to slam your face into the ground is full on original books Conan the Barbarian, one of the most enduringly popular examples of the whole dark fantasy genre. I don't think it's out of tone at all.

If you think "Conan the Barbarian-type poo poo played straight as an arrow" is fitting in Soulsborne, we have fundamentally different perceptions of what these games are thematically.

HenryEx posted:

what are you even talking about

Theres like half a dozen bosses in each fromsoft game that fit about as well into " a fromsoft game" as Hoarah Loux like heck, even in the same game you have Malenia who's even way closer to an actual MGR character and has a way nerdier second and even first phase.

an incomplete list of from bosses who can only be appreciated "ironically":

Pontiff Sulyvahn
Malenia
Artorias
Ludwig, the holy blade
Bladewolf Sif
The Pursuer
The One Reborn

None of these are "proud warrior guy played painfully straight"

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

hoarah loux sucks. they should have brought back golden shade, that guy was cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

feelix posted:

None of these are "proud warrior guy played painfully straight"
What about Gwyn