Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008
There's a fair few number of people out there who'll shell out the $8 just to own the libs, troll randomly, overthrow democracy or what have you, but that number is not enough. The funniest thing is it might've been enough for the pre-Elon Twitter that didn't have a $1B/year debt that needs financing. Now, all it's going to do is alienate pretty much everybody who isn't already deep in the Elon cult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
100%. Theyre giving it all that poo poo on twitter about "daddy elon let us pay our $8" but gently caress all of them actually will. The bigger names will of course, its all performative, but billybob9789879387 with his profile pic in his truck with his sunglasses wont.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
It's very funny that between all the alternatives people are suggesting, from good to bad, nobody is talking about going (back) to Facebook. That's how much Facebook sucks.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
9/3/23
Because nine is divisible by three

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Steadiman posted:

It's very funny that between all the alternatives people are suggesting, from good to bad, nobody is talking about going (back) to Facebook. That's how much Facebook sucks.

finally, it's snapchat's time to shine

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Dacap posted:

Did this get posted?

Elon's new plan is to shadowban everyone who doesn't pay the $8

https://twitter.com/somebadideas/status/1588876465915166721?s=46&t=nH8SObgHb8DB2SaCCcz5mQ

Okay, I'll go with "Twitter will join the Choir Invisible by Dec. 31st" now

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Dacap posted:

Did this get posted?

https://twitter.com/somebadideas/status/1588876465915166721?s=46&t=nH8SObgHb8DB2SaCCcz5mQ

The funniest thing about this is that the new $8/month thing supposedly no longer even bothers to verify anyone. Any account can now get the checkmark. There will be no "verified users" any longer!

God he's dumb.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

kliras posted:

even though they probably won't technically be deleted

He’s going to try and cut $1B in annual operating costs. I would
be surprised if they *weren’t* technically deleted by a power failure, lack of backup, whatever.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Bad Purchase posted:

finally, it's snapchat's time to shine

Snapchat seems the least lovely option now tbh (I still have no interest in going there). But the company seems to be run by people who aren’t trying to destroy society at least.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Entropic posted:

Man, people are really beating the "change your twitter display name to Elon Musk and tweet dumb poo poo" joke into the ground.

And then you got a few high profile ones eating a suspension for it and going "ohhhh i thought you cared about FREE SPEECH, hypocrite much??"

I dunno what point people think they're making there, impersonating accounts has been against the Twitter TOS for ages and yeah if you draw attention doing it you're gonna get suspended even if you're doing it as an "obvious" joke. This is not some new rule they brought in to protect Elon's vanity.
I'm wondering how exactly these people think you would write moderation rules to ban impersonation only if it's the "bad" kind of impersonation.

Hate speech has been against the Twitter TOS for ages too, putting that on the chopping block and nothing else is why impersonation is relevant you fuckin buffoon

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Steadiman posted:

The fact that he's not being laughed off the stage by all these rich investors, for this hilariously flawed logic, says a lot about how smart rich people really are.

Wealthy people are the ones that propaganda is most tailored to and they are heavily indoctrinated into their ways of thinking.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Shitshow posted:

He’s going to try and cut $1B in annual operating costs. I would
be surprised if they *weren’t* technically deleted by a power failure, lack of backup, whatever.
given that he's expressed openness to straight up deleting inactive accounts, you might be right

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

PITY BONER posted:

I am satisfied that about 90% of the web comics I follow on Twitter are also on Instagram and I don't have to adjust anything to continue seeing what I want to see.

Any visual artist that's on Twitter has already been on Instagram for ages, and they will all probably shift over there in the coming collapse since IG is image oriented and the other social media options aren't.

Oh man. I can't wait to click on "trending" and see that some truck-nutz company paid for 70k Russian spambot upvotes to advertise for free, or some rightwing nut doing the same for his idiotic talking point / podcast / truck cab speech.

You delete your account and don't look at any of it OP.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Get your rear end to Mars, elon

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009
hello intrepid mars colonists,

recent complications with our investors have lead to us implementing some exciting efficiency enhancing measures! all life support is going to be cut by 50%, and we have provided a list of colonists who are to report to the recycling tanks immediately! thank you, and have an epic space future day! to the moon! (or, as i like to say... to the mars!!!)

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
“Hope you got eight bucks,” I say mockingly, to the users of which I require to be the content of the site.

Users, knowing this, ask for $9 for their content.

If he breaks how the site works at the free tier it’s over.

IRC IS BACK BABY

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

crime weed posted:

hello intrepid mars colonists,

recent complications with our investors have lead to us implementing some exciting efficiency enhancing measures! all life support is going to be cut by 50%, and we have provided a list of colonists who are to report to the recycling tanks immediately! thank you, and have an epic space future day! to the moon! (or, as i like to say... to the mars!!!)

Nice try statist, I know that the recycling tanks would redistribute that biomatter across the ship but as an enterprising capitalist I'm going to keep all of this delicious flesh for myself

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

beer_war posted:

I keep seeing this, but, uh, who reported it?
I believe Manu Cornet is the source

https://ma.nu/blog/bye-twitter

https://www.businessinsider.com/cartoon-drawing-troublemaker-twitter-engineer-manu-says-hes-been-fired-2022-11?amp

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Dacap posted:

Did this get posted?

Lol, I scrolled down a bit further and got to see a good moment where he goes for a big tech/economy statement and it just completely fizzles out

https://twitter.com/somebadideas/status/1588944501531643904

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Corporate rot comes from the top, not the other way around. It's never some low level employees not doing their due diligence on tasks that causes a company to falter. When the guy at the top is pressuring people and creating a toxic work environment it creates a cascading failure. If you actually do poo poo that makes the company operate then you already know your value to the company. When a new boss comes along and treats everyone like a lazy bum then surprise no one wants to work hard anymore.

There's no value in working hard under management like that. People quickly realize nothing they do has value unless it's recognized by the new boss because that's how the boss views it. And the new boss is a loving idiot so nothing matters anymore. People will do an honest job for poo poo pay as long as they feel appreciated. A boss that doesn't know what you do but values your work based on some stupid and arbitrary metric, yeah I've been there before... :effort:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lol, I scrolled down a bit further and got to see a good moment where he goes for a big tech/economy statement and it just completely fizzles out

https://twitter.com/somebadideas/status/1588944501531643904

I mean, he's not wrong about the robots thing; automation is going to eventually destroy out the labor class, and at that time we will either enter an era of post-scarcity or be genocided by kill-bots (either because they achieved sentience or are commanded by our capitalist overlords, doesn't matter which).

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
Love to way overpay for a social media company instead of buying an island, cosplaying Dr Moreau and trying to make a humanzee. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

bobjr posted:

I wonder who the first celebrity to get mad when someone verifies a fake account of them shilling crypto or something will be

I hope it's Kanye West.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
https://twitter.com/rothschildmd/status/1588977836328890368
Apparently it's live for some. This is going to get messy

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

I mean, he's not wrong about the robots thing; automation is going to eventually destroy out the labor class, and at that time we will either enter an era of post-scarcity or be genocided by kill-bots (either because they achieved sentience or are commanded by our capitalist overlords, doesn't matter which).
well no he is wrong about the labour thing because automation doesn't translate to infinite GDP; automation only leads to increased profits because you get more product out of fewer people working

at some theoretical limit you get effectively zero people working and the equation becomes: zero labor in, zero labor out

which isn't "infinite GDP", that's either "free" or a nightmarish monopoly where the people who own the robots dictate the rules for everyone else.

e: reading ur post again it looks like we probably agree, sorry for well-actually-ing!

crime weed fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 5, 2022

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bobcats posted:

Love to way overpay for a social media company instead of buying an island, cosplaying Dr Moreau and trying to make a humanzee. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

You don't need an island or Dr Moreau cosplay just to reproduce

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Lol he's really insistent about humanoid robots being the future.

An astonishingly stupid man in every possible way.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Can't wait for the infinite economy where robots do all the work creating a limitless amount of goods/services and no one has a job or money to pay for any of it I am smart

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Buddy you want a humanzee? Meet me by the dumpster behind The Mineshaft Bar & Grill & Haberdashery.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Entropic posted:

Man, people are really beating the "change your twitter display name to Elon Musk and tweet dumb poo poo" joke into the ground.

And then you got a few high profile ones eating a suspension for it and going "ohhhh i thought you cared about FREE SPEECH, hypocrite much??"

I dunno what point people think they're making there, impersonating accounts has been against the Twitter TOS for ages and yeah if you draw attention doing it you're gonna get suspended even if you're doing it as an "obvious" joke. This is not some new rule they brought in to protect Elon's vanity.
I'm wondering how exactly these people think you would write moderation rules to ban impersonation only if it's the "bad" kind of impersonation.

They're showing Elon exactly what the site is going to look like when anyone can just pay $8 to get a check and the only way Elon is ever going to notice something like that is if it's happening to him personally. The entire point of verification was to cover Twitter's rear end by limiting the damage impersonation could cause because the were being sued over it. If he goes through with charging people for verification on Monday it will offer zero protection for anyone.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Edwardly posted:

This doesn't actually return sum. I love it.

Ooh better open a defect ticket and add a dozen unit tests.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

GABA ghoul posted:

That's actually some decent code. Fast to understand for an unfamiliar person, easy to debug and easy to maintain. Certainly beats obtuse undocumented poo poo like

code:
public IValue Adv(IProvider vp1, IProvider vp2)
{
   return _atp.Execute(vp1.Get(), vp2.Get());
}
What does it do? Nobody knows! The guy who wrote this died in a kickboxing tournament 6 years ago. To find out you gonna have to go on a long and very boring quest through 1000 lines of code

I once found a comment in some ancient unreadable code which said "No idea how this works, ask Dave". Of course, nobody called Dave worked there any more.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Dacap posted:

Did this get posted?

The worst part is, it "could" work if the fee was non-recurring. Pay :10bux: for the privilege of your tweets being visible, and lose that privilege if you spout garbage, forcing you to shell out another :10bux: before you can start posting again. Keep tweeting like an rear end in a top hat and lose the right to pay at all.

If only there was a precedent of such a model working...

Aramis fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 5, 2022

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Can't way for a bunch of asshats to try and reproduce the Ems Telegram Incident.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!

Total Party Kill posted:

Can't wait for the infinite economy where robots do all the work creating a limitless amount of goods/services and no one has a job or money to pay for any of it I am smart

Can't wait for the infinite economy where robots have to endlessly repair other robots until the resources to create or repair robots run out, because as it turns out you need petroleum in order to create most plastics and raw materials that require refinement and manufacture don't appear out of thin air the way rich dumbasses think they do.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

beer_war posted:

I keep seeing this, but, uh, who reported it?

McMillen is a well known software engineer, still has something named after him internally at Google etc, I suspect it's a personal source

Fake edit:

Ah, this would make sense too

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Musk, like every other right-wing person, bought into the belief that right-wing voices were literally being silenced on Twitter; and that if he got rid of liberal stuff like "moderation", right-wingers would flock to Twitter in droves. He just didn't count on A)them being a smaller number of users than the libs they desperately want to own, and B)advertisers fleeing the site as it immediately goes up in flames because it turns out there's no money to be made in advertising only to chuds

also they were already on Twitter and hadn't actually left (except when banned)

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Aramis posted:

The worst part is, it "could" work if the fee was non-recurring. Pay :10bux: for the privilege of your tweets being visible, and lose that privilege if you spout garbage, forcing you to shell out another :10bux: before you can start posting again. Keep tweeting like an rear end in a top hat and lose the right right to pay at all.

If only there was a precedent of such a model working...

Eh. The Seraph problem on such a scale. They don't have the moderation, even if whatever is leftover is paid.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Omniphile posted:

Can't wait for the infinite economy where robots have to endlessly repair other robots until the resources to create or repair robots run out, because as it turns out you need petroleum in order to create most plastics and raw materials that require refinement and manufacture don't appear out of thin air the way rich dumbasses think they do.

This is basically how the premise of Horizon Zero Dawn went down, complete with psycho techbro at the top making dumbass decisions that made everything worse like "lets make all our robots programming completely inaccessible from the outside!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Zesty posted:

Eh. The Seraph problem on such a scale. They don't have the moderation, even if whatever is leftover is paid.

Seraph as service