Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

8. WADs
  • Arrival (9 levels for Doom II, 2021). UV pistol start. 2/5. pretty lame set, the first couple of maps were fine but it just never really grabbed me...the design style is a bunch of huge encounters where you kind of constantly engage another wave of hitscanners and revenants from each arena having tons of lines of sight to the other big rooms but it was all too sloppy and had bad pacing. i would recommend the first level though bc it has hundreds of hitscanners that you can carve through with a PG which is always fun. also go docked a point at the end bc after kind of not enjoying the back half anyway the last level broke and i had to idclip to get to more fights. Nice job mapper!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

8. WADs
  • Total Control (1 level for ZDoom, 2005). UV Max. 4/5. great sprawling techbase map that has loads of options for routes and doubling back to manage your ammo, remarkably fun for a map that holds back on the weapon & enemy tiers until very very late (you don't even get a SSG until like 75% of the map is over and it only has 1, really well placed, archvile). it has one slope and doors that open sideways and all kinds of sound replacements + dynamic lighting, fun ZDoom shenanigans aeshtetically but all very classic doom combat design. my only complaint was that it was too dark but i could changed my gamma settings i guess.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

The default gzdoom lighting is insanely dark to begin with I change it but I forget to what
Nice

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

The default gzdoom lighting is insanely dark to begin with I change it but I forget to what
Nice

oh cool, I'll poke around next time I play another ZDoom level.

8. WADs
  • Thunderpeak (2 levels for ZDoom, 2008). UV pistol start. 3/5. Another ZDoom set, the first level was a pretty neat little power reactor setting where you had to divert power to unlock more parts of the map. Fun texture work and theming, the combat was whatever and used a variety of expanded custom made enemies like the rocket launcher barons which I enjoy fighting. 2nd level was just a boss fight with some dumb looking dehack enemy with like 3 bazookas and a chaingun lol.

I have only 5 wads left to try of the enormous list I made after reading through every cacowards article at the beginning of the year. Pretty exciting

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Street Fighter Alpha 2 (SNES) 1CC - I can't believe they redid all the alpha sprites just for this release. It's definitely playable but the AI on the default difficulty is really easy. It looks like the true final boss Shin Akuma didn't make the cut because I fought regular Akuma even though I didn't lose a round. The music is probably the worst part about this port.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

oh cool, I'll poke around next time I play another ZDoom level.

if you do a search for "sector light" you should be able to find it and change it sector light mode to "doom." idr which menu its burried in, maybe the hardware renderer one.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i beat ys 1-6 over the past month and a halfish ish or so. thanks. most of them i have already played be4 in one port or another. ys games are cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6glqpQhXKw&t=7s

well, 5 isn't cool. its mostly mediocre and i would have stopped playing if it wasn't like a 3 hour long game. the pc engine version of ys3 i played is also kind of whack + the fake parallax scrolling gave me a headache. if for some reason you want to play ys 3: wanderers from Why's's, the genesis port is the way to go imo.

FORTUNATELY, the pc engine ys 4: dawn of ys is really good check it out if you like to bump + it has a full fan patch thats right EVEN with amateur voice acting https://cdromance.com/turbografx-cd/ys-iv-the-dawn-of-ys/ DO NOT under any circumstances play the super famicom ys iv tho.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
37. Luigi's Mansion 2 (Dark Moon Quest, All Upgrades, All Ghost Attacks)

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
37. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (100%)

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

oh yeah, super mario land 2 (100%)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

8. WADs
  • Swim With the Whales (3 levels for Doom II, 2013). HMP due to being a ribbiks map. 4/5. beautiful set of maps, and the bonus level was a blast. i got lost a couple times in the 2nd level bc its hard to figure out where to go with all the monotone shaded blues but i eventually found the life and keys i needed. excellent fights, not as difficult as some later ribbiks except for the final battle of the 2nd map which is a slaughtery mayhem where its easy to get stuck on the geometry but it was a fun fight to figure out in between dodging 5 cybies wandering around and the chaos of this big well on the side that constantly spawned lost souls.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

52) Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Another one for Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins. Fun game, I liked the enemy designs and some of the level themes a lot.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Ico.

loving epic. Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favourite games ever so I'm glad I finally played this. Absolutely FTW.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Arrhythmia posted:

Ico.

loving epic. Shadow of the Colossus is one of my favourite games ever so I'm glad I finally played this. Absolutely FTW.

Yup

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

Ico.

Hell yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVVc2TOQ3NE

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

87)Toree 2 (all S ranks)

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

this rules.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ico ftw

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Let’s not forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4g8s_4h9ms

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

super mario land 2: six golden coins (DX coloration) - 31 exits on save screen

never got all the exits as a kid. this is pretty much a perfect game and one of the best mario games ever.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Did you get the watermelon and lightsaber?

Thanks Pablo and Sub-Actuality for the great sigs!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Suikoden: decent old janky jrpg, now I get to play 2 for the first time

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

sourdough posted:

Suikoden: decent old janky jrpg, now I get to play 2 for the first time

attention: godly gaming ahead

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Suikodens pretty streamlined imo. Not really that janky

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mycophobia posted:

Suikodens pretty streamlined imo. Not really that janky

It was just little things like individual inventory management and identifying things and changing party members and runes and different party management things being on different levels of the castle, maybe janky isn't the right word though

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

24. Signalis (hard combat difficulty)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

sourdough posted:

It was just little things like individual inventory management and identifying things and changing party members and runes and different party management things being on different levels of the castle, maybe janky isn't the right word though

Fair. For an RPG of its vintage it’s pretty fair about a lot of stuff like the XP scaling

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Fair. For an RPG of its vintage it’s pretty fair about a lot of stuff like the XP scaling

Yeah, very little grinding necessary even when you switch around your party, and the battles and big party size are great. The only suikoden I played before now was 3 as a kid and I remember it being awesome, so really hyped for 2.

Also, super Mario land 2: 6 golden coins, love this game

sourdough fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 5, 2022

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

22. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Same here. Fun short game. I loved the little hockey mask goombas in pumpkin land.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
1) Heavy Rain
2) Hitman 3
3) Detroit: Become Human
4) A Legionary's Life
5) Sniper Ghost Warrior Contracts 2
6) Armoured Commander II
7) DEADBOLT
8) Shadowrun: Hong Kong + 'Shadows of Hong Kong' bonus campaign
9) Gun Mute
10) A Plague Tale: Innocence
11) Hotline Miami
12) Batman: Arkham Knight
13) Intravenous
14) The Hong Kong Massacre
15) Shadwen
16) The Dark Pictures: House of Ashes
17) The Dark Pictures: Man of Medan (5/5 characters survived, plus Junior was rescued. Technically Danny survived too, and later killed two soldiers in the epilogue)

Much shorter than House of Ashes, plus it focused more on jump-scares rather than escalating tension, so I have to say I prefer HoA. Still good though! I liked how the game totally let Conrad take the easy way out, at the start haha. I figured it wouldn't let me escape with him on the speedboat, yet it did! So he was out for 90% of the game, heh. I'll have to give Little Hope a go next, to complete the set

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

lets hang out posted:

24. Signalis (hard combat difficulty)

this game looks cool, is it more thriller or horror?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

my morning jackass posted:

this game looks cool, is it more thriller or horror?

Thriller with a horror theme maybe? It's like Resident Evil 1 or 2, you explore to find what you need for puzzles while managing your limited inventory and resources, avoiding enemies as much as possible. It has a spooky atmosphere but there aren't any scares.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

45) Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (31 Exits)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

8. WADs
  • Hell Ground (7 levels for Doom II, 2009). UV pistol start. 3/5. pretty interesting set of levels from the mapper who made EPIC.WAD, which is amazeballs. parts of this hint at that same awe inspiring sense of scale that really shouldnt be possible in doom, especially since the huge structures arent just set dressing, you spend most of your time actually delving in and exploring massive buildings which is really cool and hard to pull off with doom maps. unfortunately i think this set is just a bit bloated, maps 5 & 7 especially, they just go on and on and on, the combat is rarely very difficult and the level design is fairly linear. felt like a slog by the end but i did enjoy seeing what insane looking architecture would be propped up next...here's some cool screenshots to give a taste.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

88)Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
Metal Gear Rising Revengeance: awesome combat, solid metal gear story, camera ranged from being ok to terrible that would gently caress with your parries since those need a directional input

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

53) Lost Planet 2

Managed to do a 1/3rd of it with randoms online, glad to see people are still down for co-op.

Game kicks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

super mario world 2: 6 golden coins - all stages. kickass game, its cool how much they crammed into a game boy cart