Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
one of the problems with propaganda is that if you keep at it for too long you risk starting to believe your own bullshit, and i'm p sure that this has happened to some degree with the ukrainian leadership

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

risking a probe for this but Crimea is also historically Russian, at least according to the majority of the people who live there and also history as well as Russia itself

Risking the wrath of the Demiurge and all his Archons to speak this truth: Budjak is Romania.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

In case anyone doubted this account's moral integrity and dedication to liberating Russia, they tweeted in celebration when a Sukhoi jet crashed into an apartment building in Yeysk in the Kuban area of Russia, finding the dead civilians guilty of the crime of... living too close to a military air base. Including the children, presumably. Tweet has a video of a burning building so putting it behind spoilers, but here is the very sane text:

https://twitter.com/legion_svoboda/status/1582390044865990657?s=20&t=WLyVN7WAzJkE7ZuZSlu1WQ

Al-Jazeera story on it:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/10/17/aircraft-crashes-into-russian-residential-building-in-yeysk-city

they literally always say the quiet part out loud. it's like some kind of axiom. half of my posts in this thread are just "here's them saying the quiet part out loud."

speng31b has issued a correction as of 22:20 on Nov 5, 2022

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cerebral Bore posted:

one of the problems with propaganda is that if you keep at it for too long you risk starting to believe your own bullshit, and i'm p sure that this has happened to some degree with the ukrainian leadership

a lot of countries have been stuck in the room with their own propaganda 24/7 since mass produced audio/video media really took off in the 50s/60s and it loving owns

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
hey quick question how quickly would I be permabanned and buried underneath Guantanamo if i openly celebrated aircraft crashing into civilian buildings killing innocent people and said the Americans had it coming because nobody in New York stood against against American imperialism and support for Israel. because that’s what that Twitter freak is doing except he’s white and the target is Russian civilians.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
haha imagine someone on the forums somethingawful.com making fun of 9/11

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

hey quick question how quickly would I be permabanned and buried underneath Guantanamo if i openly celebrated aircraft crashing into civilian buildings killing innocent people and said the Americans had it coming because nobody in New York stood against against American imperialism and support for Israel. because that’s what that Twitter freak is doing except he’s white and the target is Russian civilians.

mocking America's response to 9/11 is a hallowed tradition on SA, so I feel like it probability depends on how you went about it

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Majorian posted:

Because retaking Crimea seems so self-evidently strategically unfeasible from my perspective. The Russian government and media claim they're pursuing a lot of crazy maximalist goals themselves; that doesn't mean they actually, truly believe they can achieve those goals.

Revanchist nationalism: an ideology known for consideration of feasibility

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

speng31b posted:

mocking 9/11 is a hallowed tradition on SA, so I feel like it probability depends on how you went about it

you know what I mean, I’m just pointing out that that Twitter guy is a class A psycho for celebrating civilian deaths and saying that Russians deserve to die for not ‘standing up’ to putin or whatever.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Majorian posted:

Putting it up in the 2nd op. Tyvm, extremely illustrative.

Glad to be able to contribute to the fight against Norman disinformation 👍

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
just a reminder, US has been waging a proxy war in ethiopia that has killed tens of thousands of people and displaced millions more. of course you won't hear about it in the west because the people have the wrong skin color, and also it's america doing the killings.

one of the interesting thigns is that elon sacked the "humans right team" at twitter who were the regime change wing of the us intelligence agencies

quote:

Shannon Raj Singh @ShannonRSingh - 17:58 UTC · Nov 4, 2022

Yesterday was my last day at Twitter: the entire Human Rights team has been cut from the company.
I am enormously proud of the work we did to implement the UN Guiding Principles on Business & Human Rights, to protect those at-risk in global conflicts & crises including Ethiopia, Afghanistan, and Ukraine, and to defend the needs of those particularly at risk of human rights abuse by virtue of their social media presence, such as journalists & human rights defenders.
they were censoring ethiopian and eritrean voices in order to help the US proxy war lol

:thunk:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

you know what I mean, I’m just pointing out that that Twitter guy is a class A psycho for celebrating civilian deaths and saying that Russians deserve to die for not ‘standing up’ to putin or whatever.

oh yeah, for sure. i think the main point of posting that tweet was to show that that the group tweeting it is the dumbest possible Ukrainian intelligence op pretending to be Russian defectors. A real Russian defector unit wouldn't be tweeting stuff like that. like the "hello fellow defectors" buscemi meme basically

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

Revanchist nationalism: an ideology known for consideration of feasibility

I haven't seen anything in this war so far to convince me that the governments involved aren't rational actors.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Majorian posted:

I haven't seen anything in this war so far to convince me that the governments involved aren't rational actors.

:thunk:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

I personally think the fact that negotiations haven't been seriously attempted and the war is still escalating is evidence of that.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

If you have any counterexamples they're welcome!

speng31b posted:

I personally think the fact that negotiations haven't been seriously attempted and the war is still escalating is evidence of that.

I think the fact that negotiations haven't seriously been attempted is evidence that NATO is more in the driver's seat than the Ukrainian government is.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Counter examples to what?

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Xaris posted:

just a reminder, US has been waging a proxy war in ethiopia that has killed tens of thousands of people and displaced millions more. of course you won't hear about it in the west because the people have the wrong skin color, and also it's america doing the killings.

Wasn't there a truce for the Tigray War recently?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Lostconfused posted:

Counter examples to what?

To my belief that the governments involved in this war are rational actors.

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

Yup.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Crimea story strikes me as a Ukrainian version of that lady that does nothing but watch Russian cable TV and tweets about how some dipshit just said they're going to need to flay all the Ukrainians when they win or something.

Like, someone did say it, and they even maybe meant it, but it's red meat for the base ala Fox News to grandpas.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

A day or two ago yes.

edit: The joke here is that this is the new truce after the old one was broken

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Majorian posted:

Because retaking Crimea seems so self-evidently strategically unfeasible from my perspective. The Russian government and media claim they're pursuing a lot of crazy maximalist goals themselves; that doesn't mean they actually, truly believe they can achieve those goals.

Actually, now that you mention it. What maximalist goal is the Russian government claiming? I remember the initial war goals, but what are they saying now?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

I think the fact that negotiations haven't seriously been attempted is evidence that NATO is more in the driver's seat than the Ukrainian government is.

Allowing NATO to destroy your country is a pretty weird definition of rational. And if they have no agency then arguing about rationality is pointless anyways. They probably don't have much, I'm leaning towards that myself.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Xaris posted:

Is there more info on this? Genuinely curious

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

SourKraut posted:

Is there more info on this? Genuinely curious

the tigray were and are the state department's preferred rulers of ethiopia, but disappointingly they held a free election and the much larger ethnic groups suddenly became more represented through magic or something, and that's bad

the civil war kicked off shortly after the 2021 election

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

genericnick posted:

Actually, now that you mention it. What maximalist goal is the Russian government claiming? I remember the initial war goals, but what are they saying now?

Russia being able to successfully integrate all of the regions it's officially annexed looks like it could be a tall order going forward. Beyond that, I don't think the Kremlin has dropped its stated war aim of "demilitarizing" Ukraine, and that also probably isn't going to be feasible anytime soon.

speng31b posted:

Allowing NATO to destroy your country is a pretty weird definition of rational.

Well, first of all, I don't think they see it as NATO destroying their country. But secondly, and more importantly, governments' chief motivation tends to be staying in power, not keeping their country from being ravaged. That's been true of governments throughout history.

Majorian has issued a correction as of 22:46 on Nov 5, 2022

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Majorian posted:

Russia being able to successfully integrate all of the regions it's officially annexed looks like it could be a tall order going forward. Beyond that, I don't think the Kremlin has dropped its stated war aim of "demilitarizing" Ukraine, and that also probably isn't going to be feasible anytime soon.

demilitarizing ukraine will happen when the west has to sell their surplus equipment rather than donate it to ukraine

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

lol Azov oligarch saying this poo poo. Although he could be just stabbing Zelensky in the back here. Yeah I know this is a few days old now, I didn't watch it until now, sorry.

Резидент posted:

(Click thumbnail to open video)
#кулуарные_слухи

There are rumors in the corridors that Arsen Borisovich is biding his time and will return to public politics.
By the way, he said a lot of things that are talked about in the deep state, but are afraid to voice publicly.

Briefly:
- corruption has reached unprecedented proportions, the time will come, many schemes will come to light.
- Hryvnia issuance, catastrophically threatens the exchange rate. Which will certainly lead to the depreciation of wages and pensions.
- We should have implemented the Minsk agreements.
(from t.me/rezident_ua/14959, via tgsa)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

redneck nazgul posted:

demilitarizing ukraine will happen when the west has to sell their surplus equipment rather than donate it to ukraine

It's going to be quite a while before that happens, if it does, I'm sorry to say.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

speng31b posted:

Allowing NATO to destroy your country is a pretty weird definition of rational. And if they have no agency then arguing about rationality is pointless anyways. They probably don't have much, I'm leaning towards that myself.

its rational for the ruling classes because they an always gently caress off to the west with all their stolen lucre

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

its rational for the ruling classes because they an always gently caress off to the west with all their stolen lucre

yeah that's for sure. Lil Z is the best asset the CIA had recruited for quite awhile, and he'll be a forever celeb assuming his own country's hard liners who buy the propaganda don't pop him when the west has finally had enough and forces them to call it quits

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

i say swears online posted:

the tigray were and are the state department's preferred rulers of ethiopia, but disappointingly they held a free election and the much larger ethnic groups suddenly became more represented through magic or something, and that's bad

the civil war kicked off shortly after the 2021 election

pretty weird that the US State Depsrtment has its fingers in every travesty of justice all throughout the world.. oh well, surely they’re finally right about Ukraine being the epic good guys

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

pretty weird that the US State Depsrtment has its fingers in every travesty of justice all throughout the world.. oh well, surely they’re finally right about Ukraine being the epic good guys

it goes back to the cold war and the US is desperately trying to wash their hands of this whole thing

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

Cerebral Bore posted:

the defining characteristic of 21st century politics is everyone believing their own propaganda because its all they consume so that bodes well I'm sure.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/tvtoront/status/1588996695790002176

I don't think anyone bothers to mention if the power plant is working at all, but that's not important I guess.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

Well, first of all, I don't think they see it as NATO destroying their country. But secondly, and more importantly, governments' chief motivation tends to be staying in power, not keeping their country from being ravaged. That's been true of governments throughout history.

the thing I said was irrational is not taking opportunities to open negotiations and deescalate. I think we're past the point any negotiations would include regime change, so that's not it. What I'm saying is that it's probably a combination of nationalist hardliners being empowered threatening their own government from within and NATO providing incentives to keep going from without that keep negotiations off the table. I don't think that's a super controversial take so I'm not sure what you're arguing about tbh

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

i say swears online posted:

it goes back to the cold war and the US is desperately trying to wash their hands of this whole thing

yeah this is one conflict where no one really wanted to get involved. Ethiopia has also been a pretty good ally to the US in the "War on Terror"

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
The negotiations will include regime change. For Russia. :twisted:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

speng31b posted:

the thing I said was irrational is not taking opportunities to open negotiations and deescalate. I think we're past the point any negotiations would include regime change, so that's not it. What I'm saying is that it's probably a combination of nationalist hardliners being empowered threatening their own government from within and NATO providing incentives to keep going from without that keep negotiations off the table. I don't think that's a super controversial take so I'm not sure what you're arguing about tbh

We got to this point in the conversation because we all had been talking about whether or not Ukraine thinks it can actually retake Crimea anytime soon. My point is, I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that they've bought that much into their own hype. It's possible they have; I'm just challenging the notion that it's a given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

We got to this point in the conversation because we all had been talking about whether or not Ukraine thinks it can actually retake Crimea anytime soon. My point is, I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that they've bought that much into their own hype. It's possible they have; I'm just challenging the notion that it's a given.

yeah, i think you're maybe mixing up what I'm saying with a bunch of other people posting stuff. I think the rhetoric is real enough that a lot of nationalist hardliners believe it, which is one element of a larger ecosystem of insane poo poo including collaborator purges that makes the situation worse from the standpoint of possible de-escalation. them saying they want to retake crimea and purge all the ethnic Russians is part of that.