Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

reaper can be played as a frontline brawler to enable your tank to overwhelm the enemy tank or to peel an enemy winston

reaper's flank gameplay loop is tp out of line of sight of the enemy backline behind cover or on the high ground from near your side of the map, shoot them, wraith out

usually don't go on the scenic route as reaper on a long flank because like you've noticed you're doing nothing while the fight has already been happening for a while. it's only really good in a situation where you have the time before the fight starts (e.g. a fight is over and you can go wherever)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Reaper, along with Moira, has one of the best "oh poo poo" buttons with his wraith form. At low ranks and when you don't know where health packs are, it's most practical to use this for retreating to your healers and breaking line of sight, which means that your engagements should be relatively close to the main group.

A good starter Reaper strat is to generally stick with the group on approach, and when a fight is breaking out, break LOS and teleport across a lane to the backfield or a flank, then waste engaged healers. When you get the enemy's attention, pop wraith form and find the best way back your pack, then rinse and repeat.

By staying close to the pack, you also give yourself opportunities to pick off flankers against your own team or help deal with an aggressive dive from an enemy tank.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 5, 2022

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

oh yah also be really comfortable as reaper getting really uncomfortably close to people. so many reapers play too far from the target theyre trying to kill b/c they're uncomfortable even though they're literally a shotgun character.

a more advanced technique to evasively get close is to hold forward while ad-strafing. you can also hold forward on just one of the strafe directions and don't hold forward on the other for more evasion.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Who's excited to grind for 4 weeks before getting the new hero? WOO!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/adashtra/status/1588708404843122689

https://twitter.com/OverwatchNaeri/status/1588794592820105216

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Who's excited to grind for 4 weeks before getting the new hero? WOO!

Why do we need to? Does he only come if you beat the current pass?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cowslips Warren posted:

Why do we need to? Does he only come if you beat the current pass?

New heroes are gated behind 55 tiers on the free battle pass. If you spend $10 to unlock the premium battle pass, you get immediate access to them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I can't wait to see the reactions when your average joe realizes that you can't play the hot new hero without grinding for a month or paying for Bobby Koticks cocaine bucket.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Game bad so what

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.
I'vr been playing Pharah quite well (in my opinion) in Overwatch 1 but that was a couple of years ago. I've tried to pick her up again and it is not going too poorly but not really clicking either.

Would people have any advice for her? Advanced and specific tips appreciated, too. I know my troubles are mostly from not being familiar with any new maps or hero changes. Teams shrinking to 5 is not ideal either, since that means more attention to me.

I don't really know anything about new heroes, starting from Sigma and onward so feel free to offer tips on them too. Especially Echo seems to delete me at will, no matter what I try.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

The Overwatch Team posted:

"We're trying to move away from hard counters."

The Overwatch Team posted:

"Actually tho, gently caress fliers."

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
do people not know what a hard counter is

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
having a single ability in your kit that helps with an otherwise tragic matchup (which seems safe to assume would be true for the new tank given he shoots projectiles or attacks in melee) does not make a character a hard counter

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Does easily negating another character's main strength count as being a hard counter or are we running on some kind of bizarro definitions here?

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Being able to instantly play the new hero is what usually had me reinstalling the game after I got bored with it/ after it tilted me too hard I uninstalled, so if it's going to take me 55 levels to grind any new hero that's a reason to reinstall gone out the window, I imagine that'll happen to a lot of people. I guess hopefully once every season is over and a new one starts everyone is just given last season's hero if they haven't played, so when you come back in a year or so you have a few new characters to try.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

It's not like it instantly kills Pharah or Echo, whom are in themselves even harder counters to many characters. Tanks except maybe Dva all have trouble with flyers so I see no issue with adding an option for a tank player to swap to if they need to deal with it themselves because their genji, junk, and mercy won't swap

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

novaSphere posted:

It's not like it instantly kills Pharah or Echo, whom are in themselves even harder counters to many characters. Tanks except maybe Dva all have trouble with flyers so I see no issue with adding an option for a tank player to swap to if they need to deal with it themselves because their genji, junk, and mercy won't swap

right, and even then it doesn't like Solve the issue, it just makes it not tragically awful. if new guy had a passive that reduced damage taken by airborne characters by 90% or a pulsing aura that grounded all flyers that'd be one thing, this is an ability which temporarily grounds someone for almost certainly way less time than the ability's cooldown, and the ability will regularly be used to slow other characters for the purposes of peeling, confirming kills, etc.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I mean we don't know anything about the ability cooldown, how long it lasts, what its radius is, whether it's a skillshot or not, so I think it is maybe perhaps possibly slightly early to declare it a hard counter

imo

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I did open queue for a couple matches and I don't understand why you wouldn't pick at least two tanks, why even pick that mode if you're just playing regular roles lmao.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

I did open queue for a couple matches and I don't understand why you wouldn't pick at least two tanks, why even pick that mode if you're just playing regular roles lmao.

because you don’t care?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

leftist heap posted:

because you don’t care?

Well that's a lame excuse. If you're just gonna end up playing 1 tank, 2 dps, 2 support, why not just do role queue? Do silly poo poo in open queue. 4 tanks is a lot of fun.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

teagone posted:

Well that's a lame excuse. If you're just gonna end up playing 1 tank, 2 dps, 2 support, why not just do role queue? Do silly poo poo in open queue. 4 tanks is a lot of fun.

Unless you party queue then your players will play whatever they feel like playing in the moment, regardless of what the rest of their team wants. That's probably why they're in open queue. If 5 players who prefer not to play tank get grouped together then there's very little to enforce roles in... the non role queue

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

teagone posted:

I used it for instant DPS queue when I was doing weekly challenges and didn't like the arcade modes.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Quotey posted:

I used it for instant DPS queue when I was doing weekly challenges and didn't like the arcade modes.

That makes sense.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Jack Trades posted:

I can't wait to see the reactions when your average joe realizes that you can't play the hot new hero without grinding for a month or paying for Bobby Koticks cocaine bucket.

It took me about a week and a half of playing to get to 55 on the paid BP, and I've never played Overwatch before this game :shrug: I just do my dailies, and try to complete the weeklies if I can. It's mainly just playing though. The event contributed to a good amount of exp, but I still haven't even completed that. (gently caress Dr Junkenstein's missions, and Bride on anything higher than normal.)

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Valiantman posted:

I'vr been playing Pharah quite well (in my opinion) in Overwatch 1 but that was a couple of years ago. I've tried to pick her up again and it is not going too poorly but not really clicking either.

Would people have any advice for her? Advanced and specific tips appreciated, too. I know my troubles are mostly from not being familiar with any new maps or hero changes. Teams shrinking to 5 is not ideal either, since that means more attention to me.

I don't really know anything about new heroes, starting from Sigma and onward so feel free to offer tips on them too. Especially Echo seems to delete me at will, no matter what I try.

I'm playing pharah a lot lately too. I feel like pharah shoots too slow because you need to get 2 direct hits on a target but they can get 5-6 shots off in the time it takes you to fire those 2 shots. I also think her health is strangely low for how exposed and far away from the healers she is.

i'm bad, i dont have any tips. echo deletes me all the time too.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

I wish overwatch was a $60-to-access boxed product every 2 years instead of an $60 subscription-optional product every 2 years where dumbshits buy loads of highly ignorable skins and pay for development

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

yeah. luckily for me i already have Zorro Mccree

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
"hey soldier be careful peeking the widow, she's good"

*peeks the widow, dies"

"hey symmetra don't peek the widow, you can't really do much about her"

*peeks the widow, dies*

"hey soldier make sure you --"

*peeks the widow, dies. so does the symmetra*

"loving NEED SHIELDS"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

teagone posted:

New heroes are gated behind 55 tiers on the free battle pass. If you spend $10 to unlock the premium battle pass, you get immediate access to them.

Okay wait so I hit 55 so I get Kiriko, but I need to get to 110 to get the new robot?

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker

Futaba Anzu posted:

Working on Reaper

To echo what others have said, here’s the best I can give to help with Reaper, although it’s OW1: https://youtu.be/ZHE8og5MWqE

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
mmm i wouldnt mind Da Grind if completing a battle pass before the ends allowed you to bank points/numbers for the next one, like I've finish mine without even trying that much for me and while I'm still doing some stuff, I'm getting something called "player titles" the hell are those?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Cowslips Warren posted:

Okay wait so I hit 55 so I get Kiriko, but I need to get to 110 to get the new robot?

There is going to be a new battle pass that replaces the current one on Dec 9th.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

There's a new battle pass every 9 weeks or so. I think there will be a new hero every other battle pass after the Ramattra one.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Ah okay well that makes sense.

Apex season lasts a lot longer.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

some of my favorite matches on support are when you get two sloppy reins that constantly go for each other's throats and ignore everything else https://twitter.com/FlyboyJoseVideo/status/1589088097035239424

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'm at level like... 38 in the BP cause all I have time for is a few matches maybe 5 times a week. Sadly I will probably pony up for the new one to get the new hero cause it's real dicey whether I will grind enough to get them.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Valiantman posted:

Don't listen to what anyone says about this character. Hit scan weapons and characters are your natural prey, not the other way around. You have an extra axis of movement to gently caress with their aim. You are afraid of high spread weapons and rapid fire weapons. Echo is very scary. Sombra and Tracer are various degrees of scary. D.Va is scary.

Widow and Cassidy are not scary. Ashe is not scary, but Bob is. Unlike the other snipers, Ana can calibrate her shots as she shoots, and only needs a few hits on you. Remember that you are difficult to heal if you don't have a dedicated Mercy, like a lucky little twerp. Zenyatta discord orbs are bad, bad news.

Edit
The main thing with the new characters is that Kiriko makes a good partner, since she has an easier time healing you, and her ult is good enough you might actually consider descending into it.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Don't listen to what anyone says about this character. Hit scan weapons and characters are your natural prey, not the other way around. You have an extra axis of movement to gently caress with their aim. You are afraid of high spread weapons and rapid fire weapons. Echo is very scary. Sombra and Tracer are various degrees of scary. D.Va is scary.

Widow and Cassidy are not scary. Ashe is not scary, but Bob is. Unlike the other snipers, Ana can calibrate her shots as she shoots, and only needs a few hits on you. Remember that you are difficult to heal if you don't have a dedicated Mercy, like a lucky little twerp. Zenyatta discord orbs are bad, bad news.

Edit
The main thing with the new characters is that Kiriko makes a good partner, since she has an easier time healing you, and her ult is good enough you might actually consider descending into it.

Thanks! Especially for the Kiriko tip. I did notice her heals being (somewhat? fully?) guided. Extra speed and reload speed does sound super useful.

And yeah, hitscan heroes are usually who I dive for, not hide from. Well, I do but you know, only until I'm close enough. Widow especially cannot run whereas Pharah always has multiple covered routes to her. Soldier too, though he is fast to get away. Ana, you need to be close-up to get her since she indeed has easy time sniping you. Was that way in OW1 already.

It seems like focusing on any tanks down without having Zenyatta around is counter-productive now. The consequence of the balance being planned around having only a single tank, I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

It took me about a week and a half of playing to get to 55 on the paid BP, and I've never played Overwatch before this game :shrug: I just do my dailies, and try to complete the weeklies if I can. It's mainly just playing though. The event contributed to a good amount of exp, but I still haven't even completed that. (gently caress Dr Junkenstein's missions, and Bride on anything higher than normal.)

Good for you.
I'm sure Bobby Kotick appreciates the refill on his cocaine bucket.