Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

It's the assistants on strike. Teachers Union is shamefully not doing a sympathy strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Looks like it. I'm wearing my alberta education stuff in solidarity right now.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Dolash posted:

So the strike is on, yeah? A little hard to spectate clearly from BC. I saw some stuff about Ford trying to get it declared an illegal strike though. Are the teachers ready to go full wildcat strike? It seems like the penalties in that case are just fines, and given the political pressure involved in using the Notwithstanding clause, they may not end up paying those.
It's not the teachers, it's the school support staff and yes, they went on strike this morning.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Does anyone know what the teachers are doing at work now?

The schools are closed but the parking lots are still full of what I assume are teachers cars, still going to work.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

RBC posted:

The schools are closed but the parking lots are still full of what I assume are teachers cars, still going to work.
My sister said her board said you can either go into (the closed) school or stay home; you won't be penalized. Some teachers at her school went in because they didn't want to stay at home with their kids while they caught up on work.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 4, 2022

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

RBC posted:

Some schools are open. My wife's school said they are doing every other day.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Posting my own tweets:

https://twitter.com/WhatEvil/status/1588619917200396289?s=20&t=ktqFRw8yK452ROOpw-YXNg

From Ottawa.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Wait, it’s not even the teachers they noteithstanding’d but the ducking assistants? I didn’t think they could get more pathetic but today I learned I was wrong.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Wait, it’s not even the teachers they noteithstanding’d but the ducking assistants? I didn’t think they could get more pathetic but today I learned I was wrong.

Yep, Librarians, Janitors, Secretaries, and honestly the main issue, Educational Assistants which include people for helping kids with special needs, which have been all massively underpaid, under-staffed and overworked since like forever.

Silver lining of ol' Douggie going charter of rights-breaking nuclear here is now this is a national issue for literally every union. They deserve a party implosion on the same level as what Lizz Truss just went through on the other side of the pond.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Imagine your one qualification being the brother of the crack-smoking mayor of Toronto.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hey man he ran a very successful small drug dealing business

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ZShakespeare posted:

Imagine your one qualification being the brother of the crack-smoking mayor of Toronto.

I wish I had those kind of bona fides. I could rule Etobicoke

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ZShakespeare posted:

So one more qualification than Michael, then? Speaking of whom, what's he up to?

https://mobile.twitter.com/MichaelFordTO/status/1588578360703451136

He also had a busy last few weeks of not paying healthcare or education workers fair wages, instead meeting with a Hungarian delegation that presumably had nothing at all to do with the not-fascist president of Hungary visiting Dougie for some loving reason:

https://twitter.com/MichaelFordTO/status/1584350055737065473

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

Orthanc6 posted:

Yep, Librarians, Janitors, Secretaries, and honestly the main issue, Educational Assistants which include people for helping kids with special needs, which have been all massively underpaid, under-staffed and overworked since like forever.
Its also worth noting EAs have one of the most dangerous jobs in the province, assaults on them are very frequent because they don't have the resources or staffing to do their jobs safely.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

All these other Fords aught to aspire to be more like Rob.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

All these other Fords aught to aspire to be more like Rob.

Dead?

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Sashimi posted:

Its also worth noting EAs have one of the most dangerous jobs in the province, assaults on them are very frequent because they don't have the resources or staffing to do their jobs safely.

Yeah, I sit here making cartoons, people that have to safely but also physically handle a kid with special needs having an episode should be getting paid at least twice as much as me, not half.

#GeneralStrike is starting to trend, that sounds good right about now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Daniel Bulford is getting torn apart at the inquiry, and it's awesome because he's completely full of poo poo.

He was the head of security, and this is his first time hearing of the violence against reporters.

He was everywhere, saw everything, there was 100,000 people there, but he didn't see anything happen at any point.

The narrative he's trying to push is in complete opposition to what he would have had to witness in his position in the convoy.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 4, 2022

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Sashimi posted:

And like nurses, the advice, from what I've heard is largely "well, grin and bear it, because we can't legally or ethically kick a lot of these people out or really do anything to stop it."

Except hospitals tend to have better security.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Is there a fundraiser to support the strike?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I’d like to give my 200 Fordbux to them for sure.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The only one I could find was a Gofundme for buying CUPE folks groceries etc. while they're on the line. I have no idea if it's, like, on the level though and have no idea how to verify something like that. I mean I have no reason to think it isn't genuine though so not saying to hold off from giving.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/grocery-funds-for-cupe-osbcu-education-workers

They've already raised a hundred grand though which is sick. One of the most recent donations was a full $20,000!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't think Doug Ford choosing to piss off organized labour literally across the country and around the world was a great tactical choice.

The hilarious thing is that he could've got away with this so easily had he not passed this stupid law. Then it's just a normal strike and some people would support the government and others would support CUPE and things go on as normal. Most people outside ON wouldn't care, and I doubt anyone outside Canada would hear a single word of it. In one fell swoop, he put paid to that and decided to get everyone lined up against him at all levels.

In addition to being cruel and useless, it's just unfathomably stupid.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

The only one I could find was a Gofundme for buying CUPE folks groceries etc. while they're on the line. I have no idea if it's, like, on the level though and have no idea how to verify something like that. I mean I have no reason to think it isn't genuine though so not saying to hold off from giving.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/grocery-funds-for-cupe-osbcu-education-workers

They've already raised a hundred grand though which is sick. One of the most recent donations was a full $20,000!

In the fundraiser description it mentions CUPE OSBCU approved it on Facebook and I clicked through and they did, reposting it to their own page. It’s legit.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

I don't think Doug Ford choosing to piss off organized labour literally across the country and around the world was a great tactical choice.

The hilarious thing is that he could've got away with this so easily had he not passed this stupid law. Then it's just a normal strike and some people would support the government and others would support CUPE and things go on as normal. Most people outside ON wouldn't care, and I doubt anyone outside Canada would hear a single word of it. In one fell swoop, he put paid to that and decided to get everyone lined up against him at all levels.

In addition to being cruel and useless, it's just unfathomably stupid.

I don’t think it’s stupid if your goal is to destroy labour. Maybe they find out that this isn’t the winning battle, but it still moves the needle for them.

Segue
May 23, 2007

Yeah, and despite words of solidarity only one other person I know skipped work to support CUPE yesterday. These are people with stable jobs they can miss easily but nah they'd love to help but...

Saw some cool people with wildcat and general strike signs.

We're about to find out how much action and how much sentiment matter.

OFL is doing solidarity Saturday rallies across the province from 12-1 today. Toronto one is at Yonge and Dundas.

https://ofl.ca/event/solidarity-saturday/

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
https://twitter.com/brianlilley/status/1588654804733427713

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

Segue posted:

OFL is doing solidarity Saturday rallies across the province from 12-1 today. Toronto one is at Yonge and Dundas.

https://ofl.ca/event/solidarity-saturday/
Am I reading this right that there's no Ottawa rally? It seems like an odd city not to have one, and it's something I should probably be doing.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Under the cover of the strike situation Dougie is forcing Hamilton to bust its city boundaries and open up tons of farmland for endless suburbs despite the city itself voting against that repeatedly: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/province-ford-orders-urban-boundary-expansion-greenbelt-1.6641947

Segue
May 23, 2007

Doopliss posted:

Am I reading this right that there's no Ottawa rally? It seems like an odd city not to have one, and it's something I should probably be doing.

That is weird, and it seems they were set up by local volunteers. Last night is was just the one Toronto location and Whitby. Ottawa needs to get its poo poo together.

Solid downtown TO turnout though

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Arivia posted:

Under the cover of the strike situation Dougie is forcing Hamilton to bust its city boundaries and open up tons of farmland for endless suburbs despite the city itself voting against that repeatedly: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/province-ford-orders-urban-boundary-expansion-greenbelt-1.6641947

To what extent can the municipalities just blanket deny any building or other required permits or rezoning requests for the expanded area?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AegisP posted:

To what extent can the municipalities just blanket deny any building or other required permits or rezoning requests for the expanded area?

they can't, the developers can always appeal to a provincial board. the best bet hamilton has is dragging its heels on building the infrastructure for those builds and just not doing sewer hookups or whatever. but dougie can still probably order the city to do that because it's been established now that city governments are effectively nothing lol

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Arivia posted:

they can't, the developers can always appeal to a provincial board. the best bet hamilton has is dragging its heels on building the infrastructure for those builds and just not doing sewer hookups or whatever. but dougie can still probably order the city to do that because it's been established now that city governments are effectively nothing lol
Jus feign incompetence. "Oh, we totally meant to get around to that. We'll put it next in the queue."

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Bulldozes a protected wetland stepping out of the bulldozer and into the swamp stepping on a ducks neck and swatting a bullfrog away and falling sitting onto some sort of bird?

"Now I know this looks bad"

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

"but the work has already started so...uwu?"

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Housing shortage (not real) instead of housing-cost crisis (real, murdering the poor and lower middle class) is I'm sure a very deliberate choice of terminology. Anyway that's awful but suburb developers and their elected buddies win everytime so oh well, Ontario stays losing.

Here in NS the premier recently passed a bill to allow him to gently caress with municipal decisions too which is pretty epic. It's starting with Halifax council's ban on construction after 8pm and I can't wait to see where it goes next!. Shame too, the HRM has some actually okay plans for city planning even if they are still extremely over-reliant on condos and luxury apartments.

Edit: Houston forcing the private power monopoly to stick to a 1.2% rate increase (NS Power was asking for like 22% lmfao) is okay I guess though. Better to just nationalise NS Power and give their executives a booklet on how to apply for EI but not even the NDP would dare suggest acting against the monopoly.

DaysBefore fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 5, 2022

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

At some point someone has to tell the known criminal Doug Ford to go gently caress himself with something dry and sandpapery because this is some total bullshit right here.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

Housing shortage (not real) instead of housing-cost crisis (real, murdering the poor and lower middle class) is I'm sure a very deliberate choice of terminology. Anyway that's awful but suburb developers and their elected buddies win everytime so oh well, Ontario stays losing.

Here in NS the premier recently passed a bill to allow him to gently caress with municipal decisions too which is pretty epic. It's starting with Halifax council's ban on construction after 8pm and I can't wait to see where it goes next!. Shame too, the HRM has some actually okay plans for city planning even if they are still extremely over-reliant on condos and luxury apartments.

Edit: Houston forcing the private power monopoly to stick to a 1.2% rate increase (NS Power was asking for like 22% lmfao) is okay I guess though. Better to just nationalise NS Power and give their executives a booklet on how to apply for EI but not even the NDP would dare suggest acting against the monopoly.

to be clear, hamilton did not have a no growth policy. there's a ton of densification and even a fair amount of just empty space that can still be filled. dougie just didn't like the city deciding that it could be done within the existing urban boundaries instead of adding giant huge more suburbs.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

DaysBefore posted:

The NSPCs have literally zero support inside of Hali and their platform includes widening highways no one uses to cut down on those suspicious early morning Saturday Sunday accents. Their urban policy is "lol and lmao"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Still lolling at when the Tories said they'd fast track provincial approval for housing developments to help with the cost and it was literally all new suburbs, I think mostly built by Dexel of course.

Isentropy posted:

The NSPCs have literally zero support inside of Hali and their platform includes widening highways no one uses to cut down on those suspicious early morning Saturday Sunday accents. Their urban policy is "lol and lmao"

There's a new highway going in by Magazine Hill too isn't there? Nice, problem solved there.