Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

What I mean is that the contrast is good. Because we've seen all of him until now can be fairly confident he doesn't have some complex plot re: chainsaw fame. If he says a thing then it's probably true enough we don't need thought bubbles. I like that the author is keeping the focus on Asa's situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

We saw Denji's thoughts all the time back in part 1. They were surprisingly insightful.

That's a big part of why I'm so curious about not seeing them at all in part 2. He's thinking something, and I want to know what.

(This is only intensified by Makima being gone. You look at people who could get Denji's actual thoughts to the surface, she was the best at it by a decent margin.)

the mind reader recounting what he was thinking about is probably an accurate summary of what he was thinking about.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Devil Hunters also seem to turn Devils into Fiends to get them under control better. But it's probably a survival thing normally if your heavily wounded take over corpse to avoid dying.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
We can accept that he's being sincere in what he says and does while acknowledging that we're missing a great deal of important context, like why these things matter to him and what else he's up to. Are there more reasons than we think for why he's desperate for girls to notice him? Is that his only ambition right now, or is are there other things? What's going on with Nayuta?

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

And I'm super glad I'm not learning the answers to any of that with a thought bubble over Denji's head

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I like when sequels include the prior protagonist(s) as part of the cast but not as the PoV character. JoJo did a fair bit of that obviously with Jotaro and Joseph but the one that always comes to mind for me is Golden Sun The Lost Age, where you finally get to hear the formerly mute Isaac speak when you meet up with him again about halfway through the game. When we were first introduced to Asa I was under the assumption "this is either going to be the new main character for the next however many months, or she's going to die at the end of this chapter and we pick back up with Denji next week." Definitely glad it was the former.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Speaking of Denji and Asa, really excited to see what happens when they get to talk again next chapter.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GloomMouse posted:

And I'm super glad I'm not learning the answers to any of that with a thought bubble over Denji's head

Well, yeah. There's a reason Fujimoto is saving that. I'm just saying the absence of Denji's thoughts is a pretty good bit of evidence that there will be a reveal.

(Possibly even something that Yuko would have seen and not considered important, like a mention of someone called "Power", or wondering what Nayuta would think about how Denji showed his identity.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The trick is thst it isn't Denji we see but Denji's evil clone Denjevil. However because Denji is such a dumbass his evil version is basically exactly the same.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The trick is thst it isn't Denji we see but Denji's evil clone Denjevil. However because Denji is such a dumbass his evil version is basically exactly the same.

Excuse me, Denji is one of the greatest thinkers of this or any generation. How else could he and the 1,000+ IQ super-genius Power get along so well?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/CHAINSAWMAN_PR/status/1589905565697835008

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1014655

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Four students died? Did Yoshifumi kill the last bully? Still good ending so far.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymQ3wEIq84Y

ED5

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

so Yuko's a fiend now? didn't see that coming but hell, makes sense

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Jesus Christ they didn't need to go so hard on their EDs, but I'm really glad they did.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I hope this series ends with Denji eating the Door Devil.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

symbolic posted:

It’s a bit odd I mean I don’t think Justice was actually present when Yuko transformed. That was just a devil contract. On the other hand, if the other girl was Famine it would make sense for her power to be able to force another devil to eat/inhabit a corpse.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

LostRook posted:

Four students died? Did Yoshifumi kill the last bully? Still good ending so far.

I think three devil hunter club members got killed

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

It’s a bit odd I mean I don’t think Justice was actually present when Yuko transformed. That was just a devil contract. On the other hand, if the other girl was Famine it would make sense for her power to be able to force another devil to eat/inhabit a corpse.

i'm just speculating and i may have to reread the last few chapters, but yeah, i think it's entirely possible that Famine(?) fused the Justice Devil with Yuko for that second phase. it would be a dope parallel to Asa/Yoru, especially since both War and Famine(?) offered to save someone with drastic consequence

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Requesting change of title to 'It was such a natural reveal!'

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

actually i wonder if the middleman was cut out and Famine just fused herself with Yuko somehow, though she looks a lot more like Justice in that last panel

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Eggplant Squire posted:

I think three devil hunter club members got killed

It was four students from one class. Also, Yuko killed two of the bullies so the numbers don't match.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

LostRook posted:

It was four students from one class. Also, Yuko killed two of the bullies so the numbers don't match.

bullies are okay to kill

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
high school rumor mill possibly not entirely accurate, news at 11

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

symbolic posted:

I don't think that's what's going on. She seems to be in control, so not a fiend. I think it might be more like the zombies or possibly like Asa and Yoru which seems to be either a unique arrangement or maybe something else Chainsaw Man ate like weapon humans.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Do wars weapons just constantly disappear? Seems like that sword would have been rad to keep around

Brightman posted:

I don't think that's what's going on. She seems to be in control, so not a fiend. I think it might be more like the zombies or possibly like Asa and Yoru which seems to be either a unique arrangement or maybe something else Chainsaw Man ate like weapon humans.

Or like future devil and Akis eye.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Brightman posted:

yeah i've thought about it and like i posted above, an Asa/Yoru arrangement is more than likely the better bet

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
i'm willing to accept that part 2 denji is exactly as surface-level stupid as he appears because that entire silent 2nd page where he doesn't even register to respond was insanely funny to me

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

https://twitter.com/nagayama_koharu/status/1590000772221394949

apparently the prank that power and denji played on aki was putting poop under his nose

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Also Yoshida was just watching Yuko cause mayhem. Bro could have stepped in at any time.

Deeply curious who he works for, what he’s truly aware of asa/yoru wise.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Inflammatory posted:

high school rumor mill possibly not entirely accurate, news at 11

Everything else is correct, so it's better than a lot of new services. And probably correct about the number of dead students as well.

I guess this might mark the end of the school arc since the school was somewhat destroyed, though I wouldn't be surprised if they continued to go to school in the ruins either.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 8, 2022

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Brightman posted:

Well there's also the potential she's a new devil entirely, though I'm not sure what the ramifications of famine being able to create new devils at-will would be so it's a more out-there bet. But I think it fits with her stating that she can't control herself fully and would have to eat any humans she sees, nor does she seem to have a human form like other hybrids we've seen. Though, a hybrid would be more conventional and parallel Asa and Denji.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I think episode 5's ending should be posted here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymQ3wEIq84Y

If only because I think it's funny how much foreshadowing there is with all the horse and female centaur imagery.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Interesting that they cut Makima expressions again this episode.

In the manga, when she's explaining things to Denji, he asks if there even could be a Devil that powerful, and for the first and only time, she actually gives him a "Are you that loving stupid?" stare. Which, now that I think about it, is more of an argument for "Makima varies between actually treating Denji as Chainsaw Man proper and as something she'll have to manipulate to get to Chainsaw Man."

There's nothing shocking about Denji, dumb teenager, being dumb. But Chainsaw Man asking Conquest if there could be a Devil as strong as Gun is ridiculous enough that Makima would even look at her idol with momentary disdain.

There's only a handful of shots in the whole manga pre-reveal that feel like her actual personality comes through, and all of them so far have been removed by camera cutaways. It feels deliberate, too. Wonder if there's more planned there than just keeping Makima mysterious.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I do respect just flat out going white horse and bow in the ED too, just really hammer it home that we aren't really hiding anything.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

"But that was such a natural reveal!

Oh Denji, no it wasn't. Not even close.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Also Yoshida was just watching Yuko cause mayhem. Bro could have stepped in at any time.

Deeply curious who he works for, what he’s truly aware of asa/yoru wise.

Yoshida couldn't have stepped in because his current job of "keep Denji from doing something stupid" requires his full attention at all times. He can't afford to run off and start fighting every random devil who starts attacking the school because BAM the second he lets his guard down that's when Denji is going to try to go on a reality dating show as Chainsaw Man.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 8, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

sockpuppetclock posted:

i'm willing to accept that part 2 denji is exactly as surface-level stupid as he appears because that entire silent 2nd page where he doesn't even register to respond was insanely funny to me

He did notice what she said, at least, from how he asked the bully if he knew Asa at all before going into his totally natural identity reveal. He just had more important things to focus on.

It's also interesting, and possibly relevant to the character arcs, that after we started with Asa having her hair tied up while Yoru lets it loose, that this chapter reversed it for most of their panel time. Maybe nothing, but if they're being set up for Asa to become the more dangerous one, that's probably an early sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
It occurs to me that if Denji were to successfully reveal his identity, he'd get a massive powerup.

He weakened because people stopped being afraid of Chainsaw Man.

But when they see the reveal... "Our lives are in the hands of THIS dumbass half-feral teenager?!"