Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Majorian posted:

We got to this point in the conversation because we all had been talking about whether or not Ukraine thinks it can actually retake Crimea anytime soon. My point is, I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that they've bought that much into their own hype. It's possible they have; I'm just challenging the notion that it's a given.

I mean, a lot of people in the US figured the Republicans would never actually go after abortion, as it was assumed to be more useful as a permanent fundraising wedge issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

classic america

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

I mean, a lot of people in the US figured the Republicans would never actually go after abortion, as it was assumed to be more useful as a permanent fundraising wedge issue

It is what we get for thinking the Republicans have the same thinking as Democrats

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Now that I think about it, bats are natoist scum. Probably relevant to the thread poll

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Tankbuster posted:

how come the baltic countries are so annoying?

Nationalist post-soviet education system taught them that the soviet union ruined everything in their country and now have an unearned sense of superiority whenever discussing the USSR or communism

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

reddit rear end war
anime rear end army

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

the "let's retake crimea" position was until relatively recently a weirdo fringe position. sure, it's our formal goal, but nobody really thinks that the people who live there want to go back to ukraine and honestly we're not that sad to see them gone, they were strange assholes anyway

once the war starts, however, the principle becomes ukrainian territorial sovereignty - so you sort of have to go for crimea as well. that means that when people ask, you have to answer that yes, we also mean crimea when we say "restore our borders". this means that people take you seriously, and builds a mainstream polity for what used to be a non-mainstream position. if zelensky accepted a peace deal without restoring the pre-2014 borders, he could and probably would be accused of treason by very strong elements within the military, police and clandestine services. that would effectviely mean a coup. nobody wants that, but it's a real risk if he started walking back the claim to crimea.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

reddit rear end war
anime rear end army

mods are already sweating bullets over this thread, gonna give em a heart attack if anime posting starts

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

a lot of dumb people

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Of course, its been known now for since the initial talks broke down

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Just a German cross pattée enthusiast flip flopping between hating migrants and owning Russia. And a sweet 40K ref :waycool:

Aaron Richards 🇺🇦✠🛡️
@arun_richards
NAFO fren. HIMARS enjoyer. Migrationsforscher. Educator. Patriot. Historian. Political Analyst. Meme War Veteran. Goroner Wirrologe. Shifting Overton Windows🐸
Segmentum Solar

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Just a German cross pattée enthusiast flip flopping between hating migrants and owning Russia. And a sweet 40K ref :waycool:

Aaron Richards 🇺🇦✠🛡️
@arun_richards
NAFO fren. HIMARS enjoyer. Migrationsforscher. Educator. Patriot. Historian. Political Analyst. Meme War Veteran. Goroner Wirrologe. Shifting Overton Windows🐸
Segmentum Solar

this war is acting as a powerful escapist fantasy for comfortable westerners still waiting on that letter from hogwarts

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Zaluzhny's instagram got hacked and my man was working the DMs whew

dudes rock

i say swears online posted:

sorry what

brandon just kneecapped the left over this SIX loving DAYS AGO

lmao authors of that letter looking incredibly pathetic

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Wheeee posted:

this war is acting as a powerful escapist fantasy for comfortable westerners still waiting on that letter from hogwarts

Zelenskyy is totally Hufflepuff so kawaii

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

crepeface posted:

lmao authors of that letter looking incredibly pathetic

100%. jayapal would have resigned immediately if we had a coherent political system lol

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Majoran beat me black and blue. But I never hated him. I said, 'Thank you for your service.'

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
I hated him

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

Majoran beat me black and blue. But I never hated him. I said, 'Thank you for your service.'

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

King Theodoric II posted:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

100%. jayapal would have resigned immediately if we had a coherent political system lol

Her throwing her own staffer under the bus was :discourse:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Wheeee posted:

:hmmyes:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Her throwing her own staffer under the bus was :discourse:

it was very funny, especially the denial from her staff thirty seconds later

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dreylad posted:

"vatnik activism"?

https://twitter.com/VladDavidzon/status/1576577881873928192?t=Bdgqtge80jy2N9GukBBWFw&s=19

https://twitter.com/PeaceIsFutile/status/1576860502005014529?t=vblv3CPnYL-bdhG_ssBovQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/Existensiell/status/1577035085416910849?t=x1tjwze5tqYM5-t6R34_ZA&s=19

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Isn't "vatnik" a slur?

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lol didn't the pope back down and say it was moral to arm and support Ukraine

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
idk about all that but when the Pope says NATO provoked the war he literally can't be wrong about it

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

i thought bonk meant to “do the sex”, or are they actually suggesting to kill the pope

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

speng31b posted:

lol didn't the pope back down and say it was moral to arm and support Ukraine

Sorta.

He said it was moral to arm Ukraine if you did so from the motivation of defending sovereignty and that Russia is invading and killing civilians, and it is fine to defend yourself and help others defend themselves from attack.

He said it was immoral to arm Ukraine if you were doing so with the motivation to just to offload old weapons or to engage in war profiteering.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mlmp08 posted:

Sorta.

He said it was moral to arm Ukraine if you did so from the motivation of defending sovereignty and that Russia is invading and killing civilians, and it is fine to defend yourself and help others defend themselves from attack.

He said it was immoral to arm Ukraine if you were doing so with the motivation to just to offload old weapons or to engage in war profiteering.

so basically he didnt change his stance at all

speng31b
May 8, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

idk about all that but when the Pope says NATO provoked the war he literally can't be wrong about it

drat, wish FF was here to tell us how the Pope's infallibility applies correctly

I remember something from my old theology lessons about him only being infallible when he speaks with his special "I'm being infallible now" voice, not just whenever

speng31b has issued a correction as of 02:31 on Nov 6, 2022

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

speng31b posted:

drat, wish FF was here to tell us how the Pope's infallibility applies correctly

I remember something from my old theology lessons about him only being infallible when he speaks with his special "I'm being infallible now" voice, not just whenever

I think he has to be sitting in a magic chair or something

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

in good conscience i cannot support democrats

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

speng31b posted:

I was raised Opus Dei, I know how this works

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1588993352791654401

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1588966906413068289

as per usual, lol

e: sorry majorian im not laughing irl

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Corky Romanovsky posted:

in good conscience i cannot support democrats

no point in submitting my midterm ballot now 🤬

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Cerebral Bore posted:

one of the problems with propaganda is that if you keep at it for too long you risk starting to believe your own bullshit, and i'm p sure that this has happened to some degree with the ukrainian leadership

Oh guaranteed. Especially as any potential voices of reason were slapped with a treason label immediately.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

sorry what

brandon just kneecapped the left over this SIX loving DAYS AGO

Flip flops: not just a type of footwear.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I don't know what I thought Moscow was like but I started clicking around Street View and apparently its in the middle of a giant forest? What the gently caress

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

unlimited shrimp posted:

I don't know what I thought Moscow was like but I started clicking around Street View and apparently its in the middle of a giant forest? What the gently caress

i thought they cleared out all the forests to make room for the orc pits, this is very disturbing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

unlimited shrimp posted:

?? what forest