Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Powered Descent posted:

Perhaps the mirror universe is just the timeline where George Bailey was never born and Biff got to keep the sports almanac.

The Goddess of the MU is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiPX-Rcv5ls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Epicurius posted:

It's obviously not canon, but I like the moment in Diane Duane's "Dark Mirror" where Picaed looks at mirror Picard's library and sees how so much more evil a lot of the literature is. He then picks up the Bible, about to skim the New Teatamwnt, and thinks better of it.

I don't think any rational mind could handle how hosed MU Jesus is.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

nine-gear crow posted:

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/text/infancythomas-hock.html

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I keep mixing up Mirror and Marvel Universe in these statements

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

I keep mixing up Mirror and Marvel Universe in these statements

MCU Jesus is also a pretty hosed up thing to think about.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Literal American Supply Side Jesus.

I thought in Enterprise they mention the MU split is not having Shakespeare? Don't the MU people go through the archives and find his writing to be too flowery and sympathetic or something.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

Literal American Supply Side Jesus.

I thought in Enterprise they mention the MU split is not having Shakespeare? Don't the MU people go through the archives and find his writing to be too flowery and sympathetic or something.

I think they just weren't markedly different, which makes sense as a thing. An evil playwright and a good playwright are probably both writing brutal murders

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In Enterprise they say that out universe's classical literature is a lot more 'compassionate' and the mirror stuff a lot more brutal, except for Shakespeare, which is exactly the same in both universes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

xerxus posted:

With the numerous extra deaths and backstabbing required in the MU, there has to be a force or an entity like Q shuffling things around such that our protagonists meet a similar group of people in similar vicinity.

Lorca called it destiny.

This is what leads me to believe that each time "the" MU is accessed, a whole new instance comes into being based on our timeline at that moment. Otherwise by the time you get to DS9 and their visits, you'd have far too many people whose ancestors were backstabbed and thus no longer exist.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

mllaneza posted:

This is what leads me to believe that each time "the" MU is accessed, a whole new instance comes into being based on our timeline at that moment. Otherwise by the time you get to DS9 and their visits, you'd have far too many people whose ancestors were backstabbed and thus no longer exist.

The mirror universe runs on pure 'it's a TV show and I shoudn't think too hard about it'

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I don't know whether or not I like Discovery's take where the MU started diverging further and further away from the prime universe until it was ultimately so far apart that crossovers eventually stopped happening entirely. It makes a lot of logical sense, but the mirror universe makes no logical sense to begin with.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

No Dignity posted:

The mirror universe runs on pure 'it's a TV show and I shoudn't think too hard about it'

Except for the good DS9 one where Rom spends the entire episode questioning the premise.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Remember the antimatter universe from that awful TOS episode with Lazarus, where everything's (mostly) the same but matter and antimatter are switched?

Presumably the mirror universe has its own antimatter counterpart, and our antimatter universe has its own evil mirror. Are those two the same universe, or different? I lean toward same.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Two guys with bad beards beating the poo poo out of each other until time comes to a stop

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

blastron posted:

I don't know whether or not I like Discovery's take where the MU started diverging further and further away from the prime universe until it was ultimately so far apart that crossovers eventually stopped happening entirely. It makes a lot of logical sense, but the mirror universe makes no logical sense to begin with.

It also messes with the fan theory that the MU doesn't exist independently at all. When a crossover event happens a MU comes into being based on conditions at the point of contact. Which would nicely explain why there are always evil counterparts of whoever lives there at the moment.

The most inexplicable to me is the DS9 MU where there is a single trill on the station. And then later a completely unrelated trill. They weren't even Dax, they were both unjoined trill, but somehow Jadzia and Ezri both ended up at DS9 as the same time as their prime counterparts. And the living human whose prime counterpart's image was used to make a holo lounge singer. Strong "a wizard did it" vibes. Maybe MUQ are just that loving mischievous.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

wait is Mirror Q a thing

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

wait is Mirror Q a thing

He's called P

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Epicurius posted:

It's obviously not canon, but I like the moment in Diane Duane's "Dark Mirror" where Picaed looks at mirror Picard's library and sees how so much more evil a lot of the literature is. He then picks up the Bible, about to skim the New Teatamwnt, and thinks better of it.

:tviv: BUT IT'S THE SAME BOOK :tviv:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

wait is Mirror Q a thing

He keeps trying to prove to Mirror Picard that humanity isn't really all that bad and has advanced a lot from its origins.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I figure Mirror Q would be Lawful Neutral rather than Chaotic Neutral and would torment Mirror Picard with tedious didactic moral lessons to pretty much the same response

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Wingnut Ninja posted:

He keeps trying to prove to Mirror Picard that humanity isn't really all that bad and has advanced a lot from its origins.

"Jean-Luc, please stop pissing into the primordial soup!!!"

"No! I hope this ends the whole drat shitshow!!!"

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

nine-gear crow posted:

Some d-bag politician in the future probably named a bunch of poo poo after Musk in an effort to clean up his image and/or own the libs, like how Newt Gingrich oversaw an effort to name as much poo poo across the US as he could after Ronald Reagan in the 90s for the exact same purpose.

I figure it's parallel to someone name dropping Thomas Edison now -- Edison was an rear end in a top hat who took credit for the work of others, tried and failed to monopolize the movie industry and undermined his competitors with publicity stunts, but for better or worse he's a major historical figure with a lot of contemporary influence, and nobody is going to try to rename Edison. NJ over his flaws

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm picturing Q desperately, frantically trying to appeal to Mirror humanity's better nature. The scene in my head is almost poignant.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A.o.D. posted:

I'm picturing Q desperately, frantically trying to appeal to Mirror humanity's better nature. The scene in my head is almost poignant.

"You didn't hit me!? Picard always hit me!"

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

A.o.D. posted:

The trial scene from Encounter at Farpoint, but the audience is made up of people like Keanu Reeves and Mr. Rogers, holding puppies.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
"We'll never give into your cancel culture Q! The Terran Empire SHALL make the galaxy great again! "

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Facebook Aunt posted:

The most inexplicable to me is the DS9 MU where there is a single trill on the station. And then later a completely unrelated trill. They weren't even Dax, they were both unjoined trill, but somehow Jadzia and Ezri both ended up at DS9 as the same time as their prime counterparts.

:actually: In the mirror universe, Jadzia was joined to Dax. Ezri was not.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Wingnut Ninja posted:

The trial scene from Encounter at Farpoint, but the audience is made up of people like Keanu Reeves and Mr. Rogers, holding puppies.

They could splice in this clip of a young Keanu to great effect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Io0BqClHuPE

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
OK... I loved the finale. Great stuff.

I think they're finding a nice balance between the expected but occasionally tiresome self-referential fan service and legitimately interesting plot lines and story arcs that deserve to exist in the Trekiverse, unlike almost everything in Star Trek Picard: The Next Degredation.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Since the Eugenics Wars never happened when I was in high school, we're living in a mirror universe right now, maaaan. :2bong:

I remember in the old Trek Magazines I think they did a mirror universe timeline showing the split occurred due to Khan and Colonel Green winning the Eugenics wars. WWIII went differently which started the Terran Empire. It was a pretty neat take, but blown out by canon over time.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

So much of the old 'canon' has long been replaced or rewritten as the shows progress and fill in the blanks, but it does sometimes make me nostalgic for the old days of buying technical manuals and blueprints from old Starlogs and scrounging secondhand bookstores for old novels to add to my Trek collection. There wasn't anywhere nearly as much stuff available back in the late 80's. When TNG hit, wee teen Wee was flooded with new Star Trek and all bets were off.
Same with the early days of the internet. Of course Trek had a huge early presence on the web, it's fans had been gathering for two decades to talk trek, and now it was filled with geocities/angelfire sites having much the same conversations we have now, with far less official subject material to play with. Plus the early newsgroups, etc...

And old ascii starship blueprints were awesome back in the day.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

A.o.D. posted:

"We'll never give into your cancel culture Q! The Terran Empire SHALL make the galaxy great again! "

WoQ

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

MikeJF posted:

In Enterprise they say that out universe's classical literature is a lot more 'compassionate' and the mirror stuff a lot more brutal, except for Shakespeare, which is exactly the same in both universes.

William "Smiley" Shakespeare

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
MU is reactionary by nature, but what if it was reactionary in purpose? Whenever a significantly "good" or worthwhile thing happens in the main Trek U, a mirror instance is generated to balance the alignment scales.

Explains why the MU(s) all just happen to be the most diametrically opposed possibilities of their matching "good" timeline which hosted the MU incursion.

MU is like a blister or an abscess, then.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
He's stored in Q's balls.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Actual Satan posted:

William "Smiley" Shakespeare

Intead of Romeo and Juliet MU high schools perform Titus Andronicus.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 6, 2022

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Everyone posted:

Intead of Romeo and Juliet MU high schools perform Titus Andronicus.

In the Mirror Universe, Titus Andronicus is the funniest Shakespeare play, and The Comedy of Errors is the one with the double digit body count.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

nine-gear crow posted:

In the Mirror Universe, Titus Andronicus is the funniest Shakespeare play, and The Comedy of Errors is the one with the double digit body count.

Titus the fox sitcom is a realistic drama.
Tideus from FFX is the most beloved Final Fantasy protagonist.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Titus the fox sitcom is a realistic drama.
Tideus from FFX is the most beloved Final Fantasy protagonist.

The laughing scene with Yuna hits different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MikeJF posted:

Titus Andronicus was lambasted for being "carebear poo poo"

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention but in the Mirror Universe the Care Bears were invented and popularized in the 1570s. It doesn't come up very much in Mirror, Mirror for some reason.