Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

No more dead calipers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I hate devices that use anything other than AA or AAA.
(Also, something that uses AAA when AA would have fit can gently caress off too.)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Harbor freight has a big thing of button cell batteries for like, $5.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Can you not find a battery rebuilding place that can handle the originals?

Last time I tried that the rebuilt battery pack lasted 8 months before it died. It would probably help if I was somewhere other than Canada where the rebuilders were 2/3 of the way across the country last time I looked.

Should check though, there might be someone closer willing to rebuild it now. I might check a few YouTube videos and crack it open myself.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Literally A Person posted:

Got a welder, don't ya? Build one.

I did that, 10 years later and I still haven't finished the drawers but that pile of stainless sheet metal and drawer slides is ready for me to get my poo poo together.

E: I tried finding the pictures of it but the oldest pictures on my phone were from 2011, let's just say 15 years.

SpeedFreek fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 3, 2022

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.
Hey thread, I'm looking for recommendations on router bits as someone who knows absolutely nothing about them. I picked up a pretty nice 90s Craftsman 1 1/2hp router at a flea market for $10, have now tested it and verified it works and is unlikely to explode or rattle itself apart at speed, and so now need bits to go along with it.

Looking through Home Depot's black friday stuff I see these on sale: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-Shank-Carbide-Router-Bit-Set-15-Piece-A25R151/205626187 I'm assuming these will cut, but are there any gotchas to cheap bits like this? Chatter issues? Potential to explode?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

fralbjabar posted:

Hey thread, I'm looking for recommendations on router bits as someone who knows absolutely nothing about them. I picked up a pretty nice 90s Craftsman 1 1/2hp router at a flea market for $10, have now tested it and verified it works and is unlikely to explode or rattle itself apart at speed, and so now need bits to go along with it.

Looking through Home Depot's black friday stuff I see these on sale: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-Shank-Carbide-Router-Bit-Set-15-Piece-A25R151/205626187 I'm assuming these will cut, but are there any gotchas to cheap bits like this? Chatter issues? Potential to explode?

That looks like a good starter set. Chinese made router bits have flooded the market for some time now without any problems that I've read about, and Ryobi are hugely reliant on good customer feedback (read weekender woodworkers like yourself). You probably should check out some youtube videos on basic router safety and usage.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

fralbjabar posted:

I have a ryobi bit set and some good lee valley ones too and the ryobi ones are merely fine.

the usual wisdom is to start with a set like the ryobis and then as you wear out the lovely bits to start replacing the ones that you've been wearing out with higher quality ones. I have some nice spiral cutter bits now and a good pattern bit, but for the amount of wear that eg the chamfer/roundover bits get in my work when they wear out I might just buy more ryobi ones.

e. with the Ryobi ones always double-check that the guide bearings are tight before you use them. I had one come off once.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

fralbjabar posted:

These are good "fuckit I'll start here" set. I have 'em.. works well, wont' shatter into your eyeball. Then you replace the ones that wear down with good ones since now you know what you use the most.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
There's a bit seized in the collet of my router. I tried wrenching it out and got worried about breaking it so stopped. Now it sits on the shelf wistfully. I should just break it and get my bit back.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

There's a bit seized in the collet of my router. I tried wrenching it out and got worried about breaking it so stopped. Now it sits on the shelf wistfully. I should just break it and get my bit back.

Don't break the collet. Just unscrew it off the shaft.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mr. Mambold posted:

Don't break the collet. Just unscrew it off the shaft.

That's the whole problem though. It won't turn. I can't back it off even planting my foot on it and cracking the gently caress out of it with a wrench. I guess I could take another crack at it. Maybe see if I can heat it up or something.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Spit on it

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Like that wasn't one of the first things I tried

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

That's the whole problem though. It won't turn. I can't back it off even planting my foot on it and cracking the gently caress out of it with a wrench. I guess I could take another crack at it. Maybe see if I can heat it up or something.

Believe it or not, it's somehow possible to crossthread those dudes, which is bad juju.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mr. Mambold posted:

Believe it or not, it's somehow possible to crossthread those dudes, which is bad juju.

:sigh:

Bad juju indeed.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Like that wasn't one of the first things I tried

yell at it

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Is the bit smaller than the collet nut? If so jigger the lock button stuck in with a zip tie, clamp or whatnot and try an impact wrench.

Ideally with the router itself locked down in a vice.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Elem7 posted:

Is the bit smaller than the collet nut? If so jigger the lock button stuck in with a zip tie, clamp or whatnot and try an impact wrench.

Ideally with the router itself locked down in a vice.

This would be genius but I don't think I have a long enough socket. Gonna look though.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

JB Weld it, then it looks like you did it on purpose

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I need some waterproof, wader-style coveralls for keeping dry while pressure washing equipment. Something that I can jump into with my existing clothes and workboots without hassle. My workplace provides mud-kicker style boots but they do nothing to protect my lower body from water, and now that the temperature is dipping getting wet outside while working sucks

Any recommendations? Are work-style waders even a thing?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 4, 2022

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Vim Fuego posted:

No more dead calipers

Hey, welcome to the club!

I haven't replaced these two AAA's in what I think is over 5 years now. I modified the inside of the battery box so they run in parallel. UNLIMITED POWAAAHHH

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

melon cat posted:

I need some waterproof, wader-style coveralls for keeping dry while pressure washing equipment. Something that I can jump into with my existing clothes and workboots without hassle. My workplace provides mud-kicker style boots but they do nothing to protect my lower body from water, and now that the temperature is dipping getting wet outside while working sucks

Any recommendations? Are work-style waders even a thing?

Look at fisherman's bibs and jackets. Grudens or Storm-Line.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Trick with digital calipers and not having to remove batteries is to get ones that are either cheap enough that they don't bother to remember zero when switched off, or to get expensive (Mitutoyo) ones that will remember their zero but are designed to do so in a way that doesn't require power. Any price point in between and the power button basically just turns off the display but keeps the measurement tracking encoder running 24/7.

withak fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 4, 2022

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

sharkytm posted:

Look at fisherman's bibs and jackets. Grudens or Storm-Line.

Will check them out, thanks. I was hoping that they would have feety-style built-in waterproof boots that you can just slip into but I think that could be asking for too much

melon cat fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 5, 2022

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

Trick with digital calipers and not having to remove batteries is to get ones that are either cheap enough that they don't bother to remember zero when switched off, or to get expensive (Mitutoyo) ones that will remember their zero but are designed to do so in a way that doesn't require power. Any price point in between and the power button basically just turns off the display but keeps the measurement tracking encoder running 24/7.

Exactly. I've had mitutoyos last years on one battery with daily use as long as I keep them powered down when not in use.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I think "absolute origin" is the name of the design feature that lets the calipers actually completely turn off when you hit the power button. I assume that somebody somewhere makes one of these that costs less than a Mitutoyo but more than a Harbor Freight.

withak fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 5, 2022

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

withak posted:

I think "absolute origin" is the name of the design feature that lets the calipers actually completely turn off when you hit the power button. I assume that somebody somewhere makes one of these that costs less than a Mitutoyo but more than a Harbor Freight.

iGauging

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut
Am I the only one that prefers dial calipers to not ever have to worry about it?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

No there's plenty of other boomers out there who stopped accepting progress in like 1970

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 5, 2022

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Go vernier or go home.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

withak posted:

Go vernier or go home.

Was gonna empty quote this but remembered I have a Mitutoyo digital sexiness.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I generally gravitate to analog stuff when possible but I need to flip back and forth between inches and millimeters all day so dial or vernier are impractical.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bob Mundon posted:

Am I the only one that prefers dial calipers to not ever have to worry about it?

Honestly, after dealing with dead digital calipers too often - no. I'd rather grab a dial caliper in inches that will always work and ask my phone "convert 2.716 inches to mm".

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I own nothing but dial calipers and analog micrometers. When I grab them out of the tool box to do a quick measurement, the last thing I want to do is change the dead batteries.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

if you use your metric digital calipers every day, they work great.

with love,
- the 3d printing thread.

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

IOwnCalculus posted:

Honestly, after dealing with dead digital calipers too often - no. I'd rather grab a dial caliper in inches that will always work and ask my phone "convert 2.716 inches to mm".

I'm sure it's not the greatest caliper, but found this one that does both so you don't even have to do that. I'm no machinist, but I've been pleased with their ball micrometer too.

Anytime Tools Dial Caliper 6" / 150mm Dual Reading Scale Metric SAE Standard Inch mm https://a.co/d/1OwVLBX

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Deviant posted:

if you use your metric digital calipers every day, they work great.

with love,
- the 3d printing thread.

Ya the batteries thing was kinda a hassle in 1990 or so but now you can get a 20 year supply of LR43s delivered for $3 and a dro is loving incredible for getting quick, accurate readings in tight spaces

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 6, 2022

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Bob Mundon posted:

same, I only use them a few times a year so squinting at an analog dial is preferred over hoping the batteries work and then digging up replacement batteries if they've gone dead. Would be different if I used them more regularly though

I'm definitely a boomer in spirit when it comes to tools, just gaze upon my collection of corded tools in hard cases as proof :mrgw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there such thing as a battery-powered vacuum (1-2 gal capacity) with a hose diameter >1.5"? We have a bastard of an oak tree in our back yard that shits acorns for 3-4 months straight and I've been having my kid use my Ryobi 2-gal battery vacuum to pick them up, but if they go in sideways, they can clog the hose up. Is there anything reasonable out there that's a 2" diameter, or will that just nuke my batteries even quicker?