Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I attempted to fix the Shadow Hawk’s poo poo rear end LRM launcher, here’s the end product

Also did a short video on the procedure on YouTube https://youtu.be/7tJL1sozrA0

Modelling and painting kinda feel more fun than I think it ever did as a kid. Not sure if that’s actually the case but I’m finding a level of relaxation in painting that I rarely find nowadays with other hobbies/pastimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I find painting and posing models to be very relaxing as well. I think it helps that I quit worrying about them being as good as other ones I saw people making, and instead focused on just trying to have a good time.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Defiance Industries posted:

I find painting and posing models to be very relaxing as well. I think it helps that I quit worrying about them being as good as other ones I saw people making, and instead focused on just trying to have a good time.

I take a Bob Ross sort of approach, generally. Life's hard enough as it is, be kind and forgive yourself your happy accidents when you're working on a project.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

a cyborg mug posted:

Modelling and painting kinda feel more fun than I think it ever did as a kid. Not sure if that’s actually the case but I’m finding a level of relaxation in painting that I rarely find nowadays with other hobbies/pastimes.

I enjoy modeling, and I enjoy detail painting (like highlights, or freehand and lenses), but for whatever reason base coating is universally a hell experience that makes my brain go "quit painting for good, this sucks rear end and won't get better" on every single model regardless of base or scheme. Honestly surprised that I got that lance finished as quickly as I did instead of getting put off too hard to finish, like a lot of my Warhammer stuff. No idea why my brain is like this. (Though I'm definitely worse at painting than I was when I was younger, despite having more experience than before, which doesn't help things...)

Glad it's a very positive experience for others, though. I'll figure it out eventually.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Strobe posted:

The definition of "zombie" is pretty fluid, apparently. I've only ever heard it used for standard engine mechs with all energy weapons. Off the top of my head I can only think of a couple that fit the bill in the Recognition Guides and neither of them have really been talked about in here yet. (A couple Regent configs, Inferno R, Black Knight 18)

Stuff like Ferro-Lamellor and Reinforced Structure with Case II make zombies that i'd probably say are even tougher than the old definition. I don't think there's a mech yet that combines Lamellor and Reinforced with all energy yet, but in an assault package I imagine it'd be drat rough to put down.

Together they weigh so much you'd really only see it on a 3/5 though if you want space for weapons. Getting behind them would probably be the best way.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 4, 2022

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Agreed, it’s really therapeutic for me. I’ve painted everything from huge armies before (a whole infantry company worth of Imperial Guard, to start), all the way down to fighter squadrons for Star Wars: Armada (each one is like half the size of a fingernail), and they’re all a delight in their own way*. Painting is still something I turn to whenever I’m feeling stressed.

*aside from the VCX-100 Ghost, for Armada. That thing can go gently caress itself thoroughly.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Carbolic posted:

Has Battletech had any LGBT viewpoint characters yet? Some of the early stuff had some I guess-not-too-surprising-for-the-'80s homophobia but how far has the setting actually progressed in this regard?

Katana Tormark is gay or bi iirc (her books did not sound very good though and she gets owned pretty hard).

I think there’s a bit in one of the Stackpole novels where someone considers framing Hanse for having a male lover and decides nobody would really care?

Interestingly the line that produced Stefan Amaris started with a married woman having an affair with Heather Durant, first consul of the Rim Worlds Republic. Durant left her title and authority to this woman (Terens Amaris). It’s not clear if this is meant to be read as a decadent corruption of Durant or a genuine act of love - and either way it does eventually lead to the Amaris dynasty, which is not exactly positive representation. Surprisingly, it’s from the Periphery sourcebook back in 1988.

Which has an incredible cover! Please post the cover someone

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

PoptartsNinja posted:

Hanse Davion and Ardan Sortek.

What sources are you basing that on?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

SkyeAuroline posted:

I enjoy modeling, and I enjoy detail painting (like highlights, or freehand and lenses), but for whatever reason base coating is universally a hell experience that makes my brain go "quit painting for good, this sucks rear end and won't get better" on every single model regardless of base or scheme. Honestly surprised that I got that lance finished as quickly as I did instead of getting put off too hard to finish, like a lot of my Warhammer stuff. No idea why my brain is like this. (Though I'm definitely worse at painting than I was when I was younger, despite having more experience than before, which doesn't help things...)

Glad it's a very positive experience for others, though. I'll figure it out eventually.

Use an airbrush or a rattlecan of your color and get basecoating done very quickly.

In general I don't enjoy painting at all, but I like the end result as I hate playing games with bare plastic.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Floppychop posted:

Use an airbrush or a rattlecan of your color and get basecoating done very quickly.

In general I don't enjoy painting at all, but I like the end result as I hate playing games with bare plastic.

I'm the opposite, more a painter than a gamer, so I'll be happy even if I never get to plonk down my mechs on a table. Though my Dad just retired and he got the oooold box, so I think he'd enjoy finally getting a few games in 30 something years later.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
If I want to get into the novels, are any of the following trilogies absolutely horrible and with skipping?

Grey Death Legion
Warrior Trilogy
Kerensky Trilogy

Seems like those three are the good standard foundational works as far as Battletech fiction goes

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Count Thrashula posted:

If I want to get into the novels, are any of the following trilogies absolutely horrible and with skipping?

Grey Death Legion
Warrior Trilogy
Kerensky Trilogy

Seems like those three are the good standard foundational works as far as Battletech fiction goes

Do you like Stackpole's other work? You're going to have to put up with a lot of him and his boring rear end prose.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Decision at Thunder Rift IMO is really good at least. I found it interesting for the following reasons:

-It was written before a bunch of BattleTech lore and technology was made up so it makes up a bunch of its own stuff and runs with it, but not in a bad way

-It's a small-scale story that is about the life and death of a small time unit, not whole nations or alliances, which not all subsequent authors managed to restrain themselves to

-It has actually sci-fi content, taking a world with weird climate and seasons and imagining what a divergent human society that has adapted to that would look like

-None of the descriptions or prose stuck out as bad, awkward, or overly repetitive or derivative unlike some authors who love to remind us that PPCs are like man-made lightning that cause flowing rivulets of molten armor

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Carbolic posted:

What sources are you basing that on?

Subtext, in both The Sword and The Dagger and from later writing by Stackpole during the Clan invasion. It probably never will be the official canon relationship, but it's about the same level of 'inferable' as James Buchanan or any other real historic figure.

Hanse and Ardan were lifelong companions, to the point that Ardan immediately retired and almost entirely removed himself from the public eye when Hanse died. The two of them knew one another so well that Arden was able to spot the fake Hanse Davion when no one else could.

Thanks to Stackpole we also know that Hanse Davion had a severe case of Imposter Syndrome ( :v: ). He didn't consider himself a fit ruler for the Federated Suns and viewed himself a caretaker who was duty-bound to leave the Suns in as strong a position for its next "true" heir as he possibly could. He was 45 when he married the 18 year old Melissa Steiner and their children were an extension of his duty to create heirs (and spares) to two nations since no one was sure if the Federated Commonwealth was actually going to last.

If Ian Davion had lived, Hanse likely would have never married. He was prepared to live and die a bachelor to avoid becoming a tool that would stand in the way of official succession.

For more solid (if not necessarily specific or positive) in-universe representations:

- Anything goes in the Magistracy of Canopus as long as the parties involved are consenting adults.

- It's explicitly stated that the Draconis Combine doesn't have any homosexuality stigmas or taboos, there are gay bars on both Hachiman and Luthien, and at least among their Samurai-class male/male relationships tend to be an idealized norm.
- - I wish this was a more positive portrayal than it actually is but it's primarily because the Draconis Combine as a whole treats women as second-class citizens. I'd say the real positive portrayal is that it's never held up by any of the Draconis Combine's neighbors as a reason to hate and fear them (the hatred is directed at the atrocity-committing samurai not the atrocity-committing gay samurai). The only person in fiction who reacts negatively to perceived homosexuality from a member of the DCMS was an explicitly creepy weirdo (and rapist abuser) who betrayed his planet to the Combine so he could play out his fascist dictator power fantasies. He got summarily murdered by Cassie Suthorn.

- The Clans do not give a poo poo who sleeps with whom. All of the on-screen relationships have been Cis (including all of Joanna's) but Phelan and Rana's exclusive relationship is explicitly weird by Clan standards. Cyrilla Ward was very close friends with Natasha Kerensky, to the point where they had promised to mutually suicide "Gloriously and Heroically Die" fighting the Snow Ravens together.
- - In practice, in the fiction, it's nearly always the person with the lower ranking approaching someone of a higher rank and making the offer to someone who they admire. There's no shame in Clan society for being turned down by someone of a higher rank but there is shame in being rejected by someone you outrank.

Since someone mentioned Joanna: Joanna is the weirdest of the weird outliers. In the first Jade Phoenix novel, she got assigned to a Solamha sibko training detail in her very early 20s (22 at the latest if she was 28 during the battle on Glory) which is a huge embarrassment for a line warrior. That just doesn't happen unless you're a colossal gently caress-up. In Joanna's case, it would be pretty easy to extrapolate that the flaw that got her put on Sibko duty in the first place was an untreated sexual addiction coupled with her willingness to outright murder anyone and everyone over the most minor of perceived slights. She spends most of the hunt for Aidan hooking up with a random Mechwarrior from Clan Wolf and not actually doing her job, the shirking being probably as close to the Warrior caste has to an actual crime. Then her personality also does a complete 180 for the second book and onward. Legend of the Jade Phoenix is such a weird trilogy.

Count Thrashula posted:

I personally recommend Wolves on the Border instead of the Warrior Trilogy, but if you're not adverse to Stackpole and/or feel up for reading both I'd sneak Wolves on the Border in either right before or right after the 3rd book of the Warrior Trilogy.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I think they later chose to have Hanse being unmarried despite the tenuous political situation he was in be explained by Dana Stephenson agreeing to marry him and then immediately dying in combat. I think there are some hints in older material to some relationship he had when he was young, but I can't find any elaborations on that until they started publishing Battlecorps fiction.

Retcons aside, you do have to consider another factor in Sortek's disappearance from the public eye: Victor taking the throne and firing him from the post of Prince's Champion so that Galen Cox could have the job. That would have been a loving tough pill to swallow. "Hey, I know you're still having a hard time with my dad's death, but I need to replace you with my totally unqualified college buddy. L8s!"

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I really like the idea of total warfare with all the different unit types, how does that play hexless? I like the idea of open boards and terrain and also the more complex rules (ie not alpha strike)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Count Thrashula posted:

I really like the idea of total warfare with all the different unit types, how does that play hexless? I like the idea of open boards and terrain and also the more complex rules (ie not alpha strike)

check out death from above wargaming. they have a great handle on it. my group only plays hexless, and i'm making terrain to suit. we play 1 hex = 1", and keep the concept of "levels" in where 1" rise = 1 level up. it actually converts pretty painlessly, there haven't really been any issues

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Count Thrashula posted:

The same, except that you replace 1 hex with 2 inches. So your 5/8/5 Griffin now moves 10/16/10 inches and instead of needing to move 3 hexes to get a +1 mod, you need to move 6 inches. The one thing that might trip you up is that turning costs 2 mp per facing instead of one.

LoS rules are massively simplified, if you can see half of a miniature (sighted from the middle of your mini) you have LoS.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

The same, except that you replace 1 hex with 2 inches. So your 5/8/5 Griffin now moves 10/16/10 inches and instead of needing to move 3 hexes to get a +1 mod, you need to move 6 inches. The one thing that might trip you up is that turning costs 2 mp per facing instead of one.

LoS rules are massively simplified, if you can see half of a miniature (sighted from the middle of your mini) you have LoS.

This reminds me of a Living Legends player who also played some other non-BT multiplayer mech game where you could design your own chassis. He made a spider legged base with a fifty foot tall tower that had a camera and a gun on top. I don’t think it was very effective but it was super annoying.

I wonder if that would count as LOS to the mini.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I just read Redemption Rites (which is pretty good, by the way) and the main character, Haya Tetsuhara, is pretty heavily implied to be a lesbian, along with the earlier mentioned Extremely Gay Star Captain Thabo.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

One of the Lyran Regulars regiments has a company commander who is married to her commanding office, who is also a woman. This caused a major scandal because, while it's not completely illegal due to them not being a direct superior and subordinate, it still makes for an awkward and unpleasant work environment for the officers between the two of them.

And that's why I never dated anyone in Mass Effect, I don't create hostile work environments.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

General Battuta posted:

I wonder if that would count as LOS to the mini.

There are extremely few situations in BattleTech where you can shoot someone but they can't shoot back.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

There are extremely few situations in BattleTech where you can shoot someone but they can't shoot back.

yeah my group is flirting with a house rule that would allow this and it's very hard to fairly implement... can see why they made the design decision they did

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Meh.

https://twitter.com/MikeStackpole/status/1588992963040145409

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Almost 50 people playing at this AS tournament in Winston Salem! I’m 2-2 so far, 2 close wins, 1 close defeat, and 1 blowout against me :laffo:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That's a pretty good turnout, how many layers deep is the bracket?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That's a pretty good turnout, how many layers deep is the bracket?

No idea. 6 games total for everyone, though! Not sure what the scoring scheme is, I’m mostly just there for stompy-robit violence.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Icon Of Sin posted:

Almost 50 people playing at this AS tournament in Winston Salem! I’m 2-2 so far, 2 close wins, 1 close defeat, and 1 blowout against me :laffo:

Whoa, where in WS? I didn't even know there was a decent game shop there these days

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Count Thrashula posted:

Whoa, where in WS? I didn't even know there was a decent game shop there these days

So, the guy running it has a “shop” in that he has an ungodly amount of battletech stuff on retail racks in his garage, and a bunch of collectible stuff floating around as well. It’s called Fortress Games and Minis. Idk what strings he pulled to have us playing in the gym at a local school, but he pulled it off and has enough terrain to have over 25 playable tables, sponsors/prize support, swag bags, and some serious draw. I played people from western NC, Atlanta, and Florida today.

I think the turnout is nearly doubled from what it was last year too, so here’s to hoping next year sees another increase.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Pretty sure I have ordered stuff from him, I think that's one of the big online Battletech stores along with Aries.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Icon Of Sin posted:

So, the guy running it has a “shop” in that he has an ungodly amount of battletech stuff on retail racks in his garage, and a bunch of collectible stuff floating around as well. It’s called Fortress Games and Minis. Idk what strings he pulled to have us playing in the gym at a local school, but he pulled it off and has enough terrain to have over 25 playable tables, sponsors/prize support, swag bags, and some serious draw. I played people from western NC, Atlanta, and Florida today.

I think the turnout is nearly doubled from what it was last year too, so here’s to hoping next year sees another increase.

If I'm not mistaken that guy is the go-to for finding hard-to-get BattleTech stuff. I know a guy who recently sold all his DTF BattleTechs books, all the way dating back to 1985 to him.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

FishFood posted:

Pretty sure I have ordered stuff from him, I think that's one of the big online Battletech stores along with Aries.

Yeah, I just ordered from him last week.

Looks like this weekend's intro game fell through, next week is a paid tournament so it's definitely not happening then either. Ah well.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I picked up the AGOAC box and was pleasantly surprised to find it comes with a $20 coupon for the online store. What would be the best next purchase to use that on? Battlemech handbook? Succession wars tech book? More mechs? Maps?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
If you like playing on hex maps, the new map packs are really nice. Otherwise, I'd say get a 'mech box that has at least one of your favorite 'Mechs in it.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Just demoed the game for my buddy and I think it may have been the best game demo ever? We were doing a 2v2 against my regular opponent, I gave my friend a Wolverine, I'm in a Battlemaster, and my more experienced buddy has a Wolverine and a Marauder. Well, my new friend managed to get a through-armor critical with his SRM-6 against the Marauder, exploding its ammo. CASE kept it standing, but a couple of turns later another of his SRMs hit the head, forcing the pilot to test for consciousness, which he failed and passed out, landing directly on his cockpit killing him stone dead. Just a hilarious series of events and I think we sold my friend on the game.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Count Thrashula posted:

I picked up the AGOAC box and was pleasantly surprised to find it comes with a $20 coupon for the online store. What would be the best next purchase to use that on? Battlemech handbook? Succession wars tech book? More mechs? Maps?

Doesn't that box come with a coupon to both Catalyst and Iron Wind Metals? I don't know if the other stores do it, but if you buy the rulebooks direct from Catalyst, they come with digital + physical copies of the books, and give you instant access to the digital, so I went with that with mine.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Count Thrashula posted:

TRO Succession Wars is a pretty bad product. If you're going to get something in that vein, get TRO:3039, which is a significantly more complete book.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
I do wish they would just reprint the original TROs with the new art. I don't think TRO Succession Wars is too bad, but it is missing most of the Unseen mechs so it feels pretty incomplete. They show up in TRO Clan Invasion, but with writeups for the updated versions instead of the originals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

FishFood posted:

Just demoed the game for my buddy and I think it may have been the best game demo ever? We were doing a 2v2 against my regular opponent, I gave my friend a Wolverine, I'm in a Battlemaster, and my more experienced buddy has a Wolverine and a Marauder. Well, my new friend managed to get a through-armor critical with his SRM-6 against the Marauder, exploding its ammo. CASE kept it standing, but a couple of turns later another of his SRMs hit the head, forcing the pilot to test for consciousness, which he failed and passed out, landing directly on his cockpit killing him stone dead. Just a hilarious series of events and I think we sold my friend on the game.

Hell yeah

I did two demo games for some friends and family last week and everyone liked it. My cousin (old wargamer) figured he’d get some mechs himself, so I’d consider that a success.

I thought a lot about it - what’s actually the best way to go about demoing BT to new players? You want to emphasize the fun and cool sides (in my opinion: BT’s most interesting gameplay mechanics in initiative/movement/positioning, mechs getting punched in the face and poo poo exploding) and minimize the less interesting parts (games taking a very long time especially when learning the game, missing shots, ammo management…).

I ended up fielding Vindicator & Jenner vs Shadow Hawk & Wolverine controlled by the newbies. It went exactly how I’d hoped both times (Vindicator and Jenner gave the newbies a good fight but the more balanced and durable team ended up grabbing victory in spectacular, violent fashion).

I intend to do a video/talk on YouTube about the subject in the near-ish future. There really isn’t much on it yet.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 7, 2022