Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ershalim
Sep 22, 2008
Clever Betty

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I thought "malicious compliance" already described "quiet quitting." Is quiet quitting slightly more passive?

No, "quiet quitting" is like "job creator" in that it's needlessly euphemistic in favor of capital. All it really means is "this person isn't doing more than I'm paying them for and isn't ashamed of it." Where malicious compliance is a tactical action on the part of the worker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I thought "malicious compliance" already described "quiet quitting." Is quiet quitting slightly more passive?

Malicious compliance is "I will do my job the is technically according to the rules, but in such a way as to slow things down and be annoying as much as possible"

Quiet quitting is just "I will do my job without volunteering to do extra work for free"

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Quiet quitting is I will do the exact minimum it takes to not be fired.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Dameius posted:

Quiet quitting is I will do the exact minimum it takes to not be fired.

It is not even that, it is literally just "not going over the maximum requirements of my job and doing extra work for free"

quote:

Paige West, 24, said she stopped overextending herself at a former position as a transportation analyst in Washington, D.C., less than a year into the job. Work stress had gotten so intense that, she said, her hair was falling out and she couldn’t sleep. While looking for a new role, she no longer worked beyond 40 hours each week, didn’t sign up for extra training and stopped trying to socialize with colleagues.

“I took a step back and said, ‘I’m just going to work the hours I’m supposed to work, that I’m really getting paid to work,’” she said. “Besides that, I’m not going to go extra.”
After years of saying “yes” to everything, in hopes of standing out, Mr. Bittinger said he’s learned to say no more, reserves evenings for himself and avoids checking email on vacation.

“I get my job done, my projects done. I’m performing well and I get good feedback,” he said. “And I’m able to still take time to just step away from everything.”

Piell fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 5, 2022

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I didn't know we needed a new term for "having boundaries" but here we are.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
All of these things (quiet quitting, malicious compliance, and work to rule) involve not taking the little shortcuts and extra miles that are seen as a worker's obligation in the modern industrial economy. It's a rolling back of the gentle pressure that's been exerted over a very long time to get workers to do more work without increased compensation. But because this has been normalized for so long, it's easy to present as working less and less hard than you're "supposed" to

Ershalim posted:

No, "quiet quitting" is like "job creator" in that it's needlessly euphemistic in favor of capital. All it really means is "this person isn't doing more than I'm paying them for and isn't ashamed of it." Where malicious compliance is a tactical action on the part of the worker.

Yeah, the difference is whether it's being done to intentionally harm the bosses or just to serve yourself and your own career. It's also been normalized that changing jobs is a big, disruptive, scary, melodramatic process, and quiet quitting is a step towards undoing that

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Malicious compliance is a distinct concept; Piell's got a pretty good sense of the distinction, and it can scale up to full organizational sabotage. It's not necessarily in an employment or employee-management context, and it can have positive or negative forms, depending on the organization.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rakeris posted:

I've always wondered how often the oral arguments have any effect on the outcome of the decisions, if ever. When I used to listen to the arguments on occasion, it sometimes felt like they were trying to ask questions to poke at their fellow justices.

When I was clerking (many years ago for a state appellate court only) the judges already had their opinions written before oral arguments. About one time in ten oral arguments caused a significant rewrite. Maybe one in twenty an actual change in the outcome.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Malicious Compliance is its own thing; Quiet Quitting is a managerial way to demonize Work to Rule which is the labor concept of doing your job as described to you, no more/no less. Work to Rule is a concept from labor organization movements and, frankly, what most people should be held to.

My mother in law's school district has been working without a contract for 2 years and the teachers union just authorized Working to Rule. She doesn't have to work anything past the normal school day now, no more pre and post dismissal prep etc, and the admin is already working to demonize the teachers for working only the 40hrs they are contractually obligated to work.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I didn't know we needed a new term for "having boundaries" but here we are.

As far as I can tell, it was just a Tiktok meme. The business class went absolutely wild that things like "work-life balance" and "don't work extra hours to impress your boss" were going viral among the zoomers, and the media caught on to their distress and pumped out clickbait about quiet quitting for months, merging it into the trend of whipping up generational conflict by baffling the boomers with the excesses of those lazy entitled kids these days.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
over half of the jobs i've ever had tried to trick you out of 'quiet quitting' and get you to do extra work just to prove yourself to the hustle culture evangelists of the company

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
You’ll get a 2.5% raise until the heat death of the universe at my company, u til you hit the VP level and above. Why work harder?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

You’ll get a 2.5% raise until the heat death of the universe at my company, u til you hit the VP level and above. Why work harder?

When was the last year that wasn't a pay cut lmao

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Malicious compliance is strictly following the letter of the law and not doing any of the streamlining that normally occurs to make things run smoothly.

Quiet quitting is a bullshit management term to make ‘I’m no longer going to perform any duties outside of my job description so you get free labor and don’t have to hire someone to fill the gaps left from people who quit’ sound bad.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Capitalists are still grappling with the term

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Oracle posted:

Malicious compliance is strictly following the letter of the law and not doing any of the streamlining that normally occurs to make things run smoothly.

Quiet quitting is a bullshit management term to make ‘I’m no longer going to perform any duties outside of my job description so you get free labor and don’t have to hire someone to fill the gaps left from people who quit’ sound bad.

Yeah, as I recall even the article that brought the term to into the mainstream used it specifically to describe people just quietly doing competent work while simply not volunteering for dumb nonsense beyond their job description:

quote:

Rather than working late on a Friday evening, organising the annual team-building trip to Slough or volunteering to supervise the boss’s teenager on work experience, the quiet quitters are avoiding the above and beyond, the hustle culture mentality, or what psychologists call “occupational citizenship behaviours”.

Instead, they are doing just enough in the office to keep up, then leaving work on time and muting Slack. Then posting about it on social media.
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/aug/06/quiet-quitting-why-doing-the-bare-minimum-at-work-has-gone-global

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Right; the capital class is used to people doing all of that dumb bullshit with the illusion that it will lead to greater pay or a promotion. They’re just upset because people are realizing that it’s a scam and not doing free extra work anymore

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Lol, “occupational citizenship” is unpaid overtime and giving your boss free babysitting?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Stickman posted:

Lol, “occupational citizenship” is unpaid overtime and giving your boss free babysitting?

notice a lot of it is social/emotional labor that almost always falls on women in the workforce. Birthday party planning, trips, the office halloween costume party, supervising kids on 'take your child to work day' poo poo like that. its bullshit and past time this was handed off to HR.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, as I recall even the article that brought the term to into the mainstream used it specifically to describe people just quietly doing competent work while simply not volunteering for dumb nonsense beyond their job description:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2022/aug/06/quiet-quitting-why-doing-the-bare-minimum-at-work-has-gone-global

How dare employees not spend extra, unpaid, time training their boss's kid so they can maximize the nepotism?

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

Kalman posted:

You know he’s been asking questions again for a few years now, right?

Yes, now that he doesn't have Scalia to ask his questions for him.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Wow

https://mobile.twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1593964928120954880

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
That explains why nothing happened about the "gravest most unforgivable sin". Digging too hard would have spilled the beans on too many other leaks.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Even if he admits to it he knows he’d never be removed from the bench. It’d be fun to get him under oath though. Shame the Dems lost congress. Would’ve been nice for he NYT to do the right thing for a change and post this before the election but that’s mean helping Dems instead of the GOP.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Evil Fluffy posted:

Even if he admits to it he knows he’d never be removed from the bench. It’d be fun to get him under oath though. Shame the Dems lost congress. Would’ve been nice for he NYT to do the right thing for a change and post this before the election but that’s mean helping Dems instead of the GOP.

It would have not helped the Dems at all. At best it would have been a nonfactor, and at worst it might have been a confusing "inside baseball" distraction taking focus off the issues that the Dems were doing well in.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I don't think it would have distracted at all, and it's just another case of the NYT suppressing a story until after an election. Not that there would have been any accountability for Alito's actions to be clear.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Meanwhile, three weeks ago:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/25/poli...es%20at%20risk.

Alito calls leak of Supreme Court draft opinion overturning Roe a ‘grave betrayal’ that endangered some justices

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Meanwhile, three weeks ago:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/25/poli...es%20at%20risk.

Alito calls leak of Supreme Court draft opinion overturning Roe a ‘grave betrayal’ that endangered some justices
They always tell on themselves

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Simple question,

Is there really anyway to terminate Alito? I'm assuming even if he did come out saying he leaked it, it's not he'd even be charged with a crime?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Death, stepping down or 60 senators + house

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Simple question,

Is there really anyway to terminate Alito? I'm assuming even if he did come out saying he leaked it, it's not he'd even be charged with a crime?

The only ways for a justice to leave office, under the Constitution:

-Death

-Resignation/retirement

-Impeachment. Conviction for an ordinary crime is not enough, they have to be convicted in a Senate impeachment trial

This was supposed to motivate the country to be very careful and sure about who we entrust that office to. We were doing pretty well for a while, but near the end of the 20th century we took our eye off the ball and now it could take decades to fix.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Simple question,

Technically Supreme Court Justices can be impeached as they hold their seats only "during good behavior," but as Slaan and haveblue mention above doing so is prohibitively difficult. A grand total of one (Samuel Chase) has ever even been impeached, which was way back in 1790 when the functioning of the government was still a lot squishier and hadn't ossified like long since has these days, and he ended up winning acquittal.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Unless a miracle happens, it seems like we're going to have a string of awful SCOTUS ruling for a long, long time. :ohdear:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Unless a miracle happens, it seems like we're going to have a string of awful SCOTUS ruling for a long, long time. :ohdear:

The miracle would have to be pretty awful on its face

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The miracle is called court packing and the Dems have made it clear that is not an option they want to consider, even though the GOP has been gaming the system for years and is in the process of destroying all precedent they don't like.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s more likely that one or more of them drop dead during a Democratic president/senate period than any of them get impeached or resign

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The miracle would have to be pretty awful on its face

Yeah it really sucks not being able to hope for good things.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I agree with this, but what could Robert's really have done. Just said "Alito did it, shame on him"?

https://twitter.com/fawfulfan/status/1594017885092995072

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Is there really anyway to terminate Alito?

Probably not legally while he's in the USA, but if Biden was able to convince him to visit a cafe in Yemen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Charlz Guybon posted:

I agree with this, but what could Robert's really have done. Just said "Alito did it, shame on him"?

https://twitter.com/fawfulfan/status/1594017885092995072

Roberts could endorse Alito being impeached. He could also block Alito from ever writing a majority opinion in which Roberts shares (which Roberts can use to ensure Alito never gets to write another opinion). He also has a bunch of other administrative power over the operation of SCOTUS; I'd need to do more research, but he can probably use this authority, directly or indirectly through other staff he selects, to make Alito practically unable to function on the court.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 20, 2022