Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Hyperlynx posted:

Yes, I found it too, and it has a big ole warning at the top saying "these sources are poo poo, someone please add one from an actual respected medical authority"

E: wow, username post combo!

Not rigorous scientific analysis, but there’s been a few contestants on Alone who have killed large animals and suffered apparent protein poisoning, losing weight despite eating plenty of meat.

Even crazier, animals, in particular a wolverine, have raided these contestant’s meat stores and exclusively went straight for the fat, leaving pounds and pounds of lean meat completely untouched. Even wolverines are aware of the phenomenon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
You definitely need fats in your diet as well as protein, a rotisserie chicken has plenty of fat in it but rabbits don't. We don't really eat any meats with super-low fat content in the west, I can't speak for other places where an all-meat diet might leave you deficient in fats.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This is all fascinating stuff, thanks. Further to it - and I feel like I asked this somewhere else in the forums recently but can't remember where - aren't there certain communities, I'm thinking mostly of the Inuit, who are actually adapted to the particular offal diets? Like BonHair brought up already, you can't eat the liver of certain animals because of vitamin poisoning - but I thought I read somewhere that this isn't necessarily true for Inuit communities that subsist on that sort of thing. Am I imagining things, or is there any truth to that?

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
I don't think there's a ton of specific research on that question, but Inuit people do process a diet that's very high in omega-3 fats in a way that allows them better health than people from elsewhere in the world would on that diet. I don't know that there are any extreme changes, I don't think that humanity was separated long enough for more than minor things to show up since evolution is a pretty slow process in a K-selected species that doesn't reproduce for like 13-16 years at it's fastest.

PiratePrentice fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Nov 6, 2022

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Idle question:

When I was young my cousin and I tried to start our older cousins dirt bike, it was a kick start and would not go. Then suddenly there was a big rear end bang and “blue electric flash”

What did we do?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Any recommendations for getting sand out of a tiled shower? It's flat enough that it generally doesn't fully dry to use a vacuum on, and my attempts to mop it up with rags or whatever have been unsuccessful. The sand comes whenever I take my dog to the beach and then give him a bath after. I try to hose off most of the sand outside, but there's still a good bit that makes it into the bathroom.

Related: how bad is sand for plumbing? I assume the problem is that it accumulates in the bottom of the P trap. Does it never wash out on its own once it gets there? Like, is the same quantity of sand just as bad if it's delivered over three days vs. three months?

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
My first thought would be to use a hair dryer to dry it all the way out then vacuum it up, I dunno how much of a pain in the rear end that would be and how often you'd want to do it. Or how well it'd even work.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Any recommendations for getting sand out of a tiled shower? It's flat enough that it generally doesn't fully dry to use a vacuum on, and my attempts to mop it up with rags or whatever have been unsuccessful. The sand comes whenever I take my dog to the beach and then give him a bath after. I try to hose off most of the sand outside, but there's still a good bit that makes it into the bathroom.

Related: how bad is sand for plumbing? I assume the problem is that it accumulates in the bottom of the P trap. Does it never wash out on its own once it gets there? Like, is the same quantity of sand just as bad if it's delivered over three days vs. three months?

Shopvac (or any other non-Harbor Freight wet/dry vac) is probably what you're looking for here.

Basically how much of a pain the sand is depends on how much is in the trap and hence how much it's messing with the drain pressure (assuming there's not some unholy sand/hair/soap hybrid forming down there). Using a drain bladder to force water through or putting a hose down the drain to get some direct water pressure on the deposit, or using a shopvac to get the stuff out of the trap if you can get a nozzle that far, air pressure drain clearers, or using a drain auger to stir it up a bit while running water will all help. Chemicals will not help with sand directly but if there's a hair clog as well it might help, but treat them as a last resort.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

PiratePrentice posted:

, I don't think that humanity was separated long enough for more than minor things to show up since evolution is a pretty slow process in a K-selected species that doesn't reproduce for like 13-16 years at it's fastest.

People seem to have evolved the lactase persistence gene in the course of just 10k years or so, which I am always found pretty amazing. Must have been a real strong selection pressure.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

alnilam posted:

People seem to have evolved the lactase persistence gene in the course of just 10k years or so, which I am always found pretty amazing. Must have been a real strong selection pressure.

Milk is a hell of a nutritious drink, with a shitload of calories to boot. If you're subject to dietary evolutionary pressure then it's a really good deal to get that many liquid calories pretty easily, even if it makes you kinda sick sometimes. I wonder if it's an easier adaptation since we drink it as babies rather than bringing in something from elsewhere entirely.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think McGhee said there was strong evolutionary pressure on Northern Europeans to rely on ruminants to convert dried grasses into usable nutrition during the long winter/dark months.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

What's a good adhesive for getting cardboard to stick to cardboard? I have a large deck box for playing cards, it has a nice vinyl finish exterior with a dense cardboard base, and one of the sides fell off. Gorilla glue wasn't gorilla enough for me

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
What's the best way to watch NHL hockey (specifically the New York Rangers) without getting cable?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
nhl66 dot i r

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

thepopmonster posted:

Shopvac (or any other non-Harbor Freight wet/dry vac) is probably what you're looking for here.

Basically how much of a pain the sand is depends on how much is in the trap and hence how much it's messing with the drain pressure (assuming there's not some unholy sand/hair/soap hybrid forming down there). Using a drain bladder to force water through or putting a hose down the drain to get some direct water pressure on the deposit, or using a shopvac to get the stuff out of the trap if you can get a nozzle that far, air pressure drain clearers, or using a drain auger to stir it up a bit while running water will all help. Chemicals will not help with sand directly but if there's a hair clog as well it might help, but treat them as a last resort.

Thanks! It's good to hear that the trap can be cleared, even if it's a bit of a pain. I snake the trap every few years to clear out dog fur and hair. I do have a shop vac, but had forgotten that those can also be wet vacs. I think mine is -- it's an older model Ridgid 5HP thing.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

lol

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

kalel posted:

What's a good adhesive for getting cardboard to stick to cardboard? I have a large deck box for playing cards, it has a nice vinyl finish exterior with a dense cardboard base, and one of the sides fell off. Gorilla glue wasn't gorilla enough for me
3M super 77 spray adhesive works really well for paper and cardboard, might be tricky to get it only where you want it though.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Trapick posted:

3M super 77 spray adhesive works really well for paper and cardboard, might be tricky to get it only where you want it though.

thanks :tipshat: and I'll just put an old toilet paper roller over the nozzle

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Speaking of Super 77, how do you use it without getting everything sticky from overspray? I usually just sacrifice some cardboard but that does not seem very professional.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
I use a cardboard box, but put down a piece of newspaper after each spray. It makes it so the next thing I spray doesn't stick to anything and it saves on cardboard.

Atahualpa
Aug 18, 2015

A lucky bird.
I keep seeing posts about how people like the previous owner of Twitter or that Saudi prince who's heavily invested were given the option to cash out their shares as part of the deal with Elon Musk, and it's making me wonder: how are existing shares in mutual funds and such dealt with when a company goes private? Is the money from the sale just automatically reinvested in the remaining stocks/bonds that make up the fund?

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
How do I edit and display a .kmz file on something like OpenStreetMaps? Someone created a niche overlay/POI setup on Google Maps that I like, but I want to add/edit elements to it, and also not rely on the Google ecosystem.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm currently checking out the potential paid seat choices on a long haul Finnair flight and noticed that they consider "Economy Comfort" with more legroom only on the first few rows of the side seats (excluding the three middle seats).

https://imgur.com/a/NDTy5Ll

This is reflected in the price where the "Economy Comfort" seats are more expensive than the middle seats right next to the "Economy Comfort" ones. But I have never seen a flight where only the side seats have more legroom, it's usually all the same per row, isn't it?

I'm tempted to just reserve the middle of the plane seats right next to the "Economy Comfort" as it's much cheaper and wondering if this is a mistake on the airlines part?

I've watched all available YouTube videos and have not found one where the video shows how the seats are placed.

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 7, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Atahualpa posted:

I keep seeing posts about how people like the previous owner of Twitter or that Saudi prince who's heavily invested were given the option to cash out their shares as part of the deal with Elon Musk, and it's making me wonder: how are existing shares in mutual funds and such dealt with when a company goes private? Is the money from the sale just automatically reinvested in the remaining stocks/bonds that make up the fund?

Depends on the fund and their governing documents, really. They get purchased like everyone else’s, and what is done with the cash will be laid out somewhere. There is no universal answer here. Some might pay it as a dividend while some may reinvest the funds.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

smackfu posted:

Speaking of Super 77, how do you use it without getting everything sticky from overspray? I usually just sacrifice some cardboard but that does not seem very professional.

I uh, use Super 77 and Super 99 pretty often at work, and this is what I usually do. So atleast in my profession, it is professional? Also occasionally I just say gently caress it and let my layout table get hosed up if I have a lot of it to do and when it dries it's typically fine. Just do not let the new guy near your table saw with it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ironhead posted:

I uh, use Super 77 and Super 99 pretty often at work, and this is what I usually do. So atleast in my profession, it is professional?

Hehe, fair enough. The newspaper idea was also pretty good. Thanks!

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

kalel posted:

Note that Gorilla Glue is a brand, they sell all sorts of adhesives at this point. They started with the polyurethane expanding stuff which was quite unique, but now make super-glues and epoxies which are not all that unique. Why not just plain old white PVA glue?

FACKER
Jan 2, 2005

Busy Bee posted:

I'm currently checking out the potential paid seat choices on a long haul Finnair flight and noticed that they consider "Economy Comfort" with more legroom only on the first few rows of the side seats (excluding the three middle seats).

https://imgur.com/a/NDTy5Ll

This is reflected in the price where the "Economy Comfort" seats are more expensive than the middle seats right next to the "Economy Comfort" ones. But I have never seen a flight where only the side seats have more legroom, it's usually all the same per row, isn't it?

I'm tempted to just reserve the middle of the plane seats right next to the "Economy Comfort" as it's much cheaper and wondering if this is a mistake on the airlines part?

I've watched all available YouTube videos and have not found one where the video shows how the seats are placed.

See if you can find this flight on Seatguru.com
It should give you all the information you need for each specific seat, such as distance between seats as well as warning on which seats are less desirable and why

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

FACKER posted:

See if you can find this flight on Seatguru.com
It should give you all the information you need for each specific seat, such as distance between seats as well as warning on which seats are less desirable and why

I checked, and the most up-to-date seat map for that specific flight is not on there. I've also checked all the other seat map websites and it shows same information as the one I've added to imgur with the middle seats not being "Economy Comfort"

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Where is the newspaper comics thread? Not the pyf comics thread with web comics and anime but the other one

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Manager Hoyden posted:

Where is the newspaper comics thread? Not the pyf comics thread with web comics and anime but the other one

BSS: Bisexual Super Son › Comic Strips 2022: I can't wait for the self-driving-car to get pregnant

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Thanks!

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

MyronMulch posted:

Note that Gorilla Glue is a brand, they sell all sorts of adhesives at this point. They started with the polyurethane expanding stuff which was quite unique, but now make super-glues and epoxies which are not all that unique. Why not just plain old white PVA glue?

it's a box that holds a lot of weight (playing cards) so I need it to be sturdy

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Did the whole side of the box come off, so you're now trying to glue corner edge to corner edge instead of surface to surface?

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I've been out of work for a year for family reasons, but I used to be a waiter/bartender. However, I never had formal training, so while my soft skills are great, my technical ability is fairly bad.

If I'm applying to a restaurant or bar, how do I depict myself well without lying?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Was a runway in the fashion sense or a runway in the aviation sense the first thing to be called a “runway”?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Looks like neither, it’s from game trails:

quote:

runway (n.)
1833, "customary track of an animal," especially a deer, American English, from run (v.) + way (n.). Meaning "artificial sloping track" is attested from 1883; airfield sense is by 1923.

Unless you’re specifically asking which of those two industries adopted the term first, in which case it’s probably a tossup? Since formal fashion shows started in the early 1800s but didn’t become fully established in the form we know today until the early 1900s, which would line up with the airfield usage timeline. Huh, interesting. I doubt there’s a concrete answer between those two.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 7, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Blue Labrador posted:

I've been out of work for a year for family reasons, but I used to be a waiter/bartender. However, I never had formal training, so while my soft skills are great, my technical ability is fairly bad.

If I'm applying to a restaurant or bar, how do I depict myself well without lying?

In my area, the winning strategy is to offer to work one or two trial shifts unpaid*. Doesn't matter what certifications you have if you can pour a decent beer and not gently caress up a table's order. It's also a good way to find out if the manager is an rear end in a top hat and can save you some grief before actually getting hired.

*Only one or two trial shifts before signing a contract. Don't accept "The printer is broken, I'll get it to you next week, can't you just come in tonight and we'll add the hours after the fact :words:"

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 7, 2022

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Last I knew, GWS had a restaurant industry thread if you want more specific advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Does anyone remember that zip line of death that some goons who were running a summer camp made? I need it in my life again.