Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

dokmo posted:

British English is I believe largely non-rhotic, which means they don't pronounce the "r" sound the way americans do in a lot of places, in particular at the end of words. I think a Brit would pronounce "marm" like an american would say "maam". Is this correct?

I don't know how an American would say "maam", but I think you're on to something.

I think the intent was to rhyme with "farm" or "harm" but, as you say, non-rhotically. That's certainly how it read to my (Australian, also non-rhotic) ear as a kid. In any case, wiktionary has the UK pronunciation as /mɑːm/ or /mæm/, and only the second one for the USA.

For reference, "mum" is /mam/ ... which that IPA reader seems to say as either pronunciation of "ma'am", which isn't right at all!...

...ah, here we go! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPA_vowel_chart_with_audio

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

looking for a simple image favoriting Chrome extension. I mouse over an image, click the heart. it saves the image url and webpage, downloads a copy to my favorites folder associated with the extension on a server or their server or google drive or something, and saves to an associated folder on my pc.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

anyone remember that terrifying story about the person who was going around some town in the middle of the night wearing a clown costume? trying to find it. thougth it was madison but guess not. maybe five years ago?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

ulmont posted:

In western tradition it’s just one variation on religious hermits, which date back to approximately the 4th century.

As one example https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Or_of_Nitria

Cool. Thanks.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

actionjackson posted:

anyone remember that terrifying story about the person who was going around some town in the middle of the night wearing a clown costume? trying to find it. thougth it was madison but guess not. maybe five years ago?

That was a whole wave of "incidents" over the course of a few months. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_clown_sightings

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

Was Michael Jackson bigger than the Beatles?

Follow up question, have the Beatles surpassed Jesus?

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Leal posted:

Follow up question, have the Beatles surpassed Jesus?

none of them have come back from the dead yet, so not at this time

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Goon Boots posted:

none of them have come back from the dead yet, so not at this time

D-drat :smith:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Ringo is immortal, way more powerful than Jesus

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

greazeball posted:

Ringo is immortal, way more powerful than Jesus

He's also a top 4 Beatles drummer

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Powered Descent posted:

Perhaps it's a reference to the 1999 cinematic masterpiece starring Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz

I read this and literally went "The Constant Gardner?"

Man, I'm dumb.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
What does a "blue check" on Twitter do?

Mechanically, it just indicates you've taken a picture of you holding your ID or whatever, right? But what does it actually do? What is its social function?

I've heard so much frustration and agony and satire about the "blue check" but not a single thing that actually addresses its mechanical purpose and why losing it or having to pay for it would be good or bad.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

It has two purposes. It allows users to trust that this person/company actually is who they said they are. And probably more importantly for Twitter, it shields them from liability from consequences of impersonation. The whole system was created because of a baseball coach being (clearly satirically) impersonated, but going on to sue Twitter over it.

Having to pay for it is annoying, and classic VC, but doesn't break the system. No longer needing to actually verify identity to get it would be extremely dumb and defeats both of its original purposes.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

credburn posted:

Mechanically, it just indicates you've taken a picture of you holding your ID or whatever, right? But what does it actually do? What is its social function?

I've heard so much frustration and agony and satire about the "blue check" but not a single thing that actually addresses its mechanical purpose and why losing it or having to pay for it would be good or bad.

For me, I follow a bunch of journalists, who now usually break news stories on twitter, and you can instantly tell the credibility of the breaking news story if the blue check is in place.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Xenoborg posted:

Having to pay for it is annoying, and classic VC, but doesn't break the system. No longer needing to actually verify identity to get it would be extremely dumb and defeats both of its original purposes.

Oh boy do I have hilarious news for you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yup. The new bluecheck system has zero ID requirements. As of Monday, twitter is useless as a source of information unless you can independently verify authenticity.

There will be a bluecheck @RealDonaIdTrump, @ReaIDonaldTrump, and @ReaIDonaIdTrump. Each will be hawking a crypto scam.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

credburn posted:

VC guys and their associates reply guys have invented a headcanon where having the check is some kind of social cachet for the holder, but it’s actually just something that makes twitter easier to use for everyone else

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Musk thinks bots won’t pay $8/mo so bluecheck twitter will be “real person” twitter while nocheck means you’re a spambot.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
There is a blue checkmark that means your identity has been verified, to prevent impersonation. Now there will be an identical checkmark that means you paid :8bux: to join the cool kids club. Both checkmarks will exist simultaneously for a while, and then they will take them away from verified users. Because obviously they are now retroactively bots for not joining the club.

This is what's happening?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

On the plus side it'll probably destroy brand Twitter, once anyone with 8 bucks can make a "verified" Wendy's account to spew racist nonsense no sensible company is going to want a presence there.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Trapick posted:

On the plus side it'll probably destroy brand Twitter, once anyone with 8 bucks can make a "verified" Wendy's account to spew racist nonsense no sensible company is going to want a presence there.

the situation has real potential for hilarity

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yup. The new bluecheck system has zero ID requirements. As of Monday, twitter is useless as a source of information unless you can independently verify authenticity.

There will be a bluecheck @RealDonaIdTrump, @ReaIDonaldTrump, and @ReaIDonaIdTrump. Each will be hawking a crypto scam.

What’s the difference between each of those handles?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

dokmo posted:

the situation has real potential for hilarity

The fact that blue-checks can change their display name without re-verifying has always been a huge bug in the system. And now it's going to get orders of magnitude worse. :allears:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

tuyop posted:

What’s the difference between each of those handles?

code:
@RealDonaIdTrump, @ReaIDonaldTrump, and @ReaIDonaIdTrump

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I have pretty spotty wifi in some places in my house, like my bedroom and bathroom (especially when I'm lying in the bath and using my phone) and I get that that's because of the signals being hindered by distance, walls and water and all that. I'll get some amplifiers or whatever pretty soon, but just now I just realised something that made me wonder about how it works.

You see, in my living room I have no wifi issues because I'm close to the source and there's no obstacles, but then I go to bed and it goes spotty. Streaming will start buffering and poo poo, but then I just reconnect to the same wifi and everything seems to be fine, or at least better. Still not as good as it was without the obstacles and distance compared to living room, but definitely better than before I made new connection.

What's happening there? Is there like an algorithm or whatever that decides 'oh this bandwith seems to be less hindered by the walls and poo poo so even though it's slower it's more stable and I'll use that now'?

Like I said, I'll probably have an engineer from the ISP come by because my house is big and old and complicated (due to the work I do) and I want to provide good wifi for both myself and my clients, but I'm still curious.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This guy on twitter is eating a whole rotisserie chicken every day. He's up to 39 days and showing no signs of stopping. I'm curious about this because it honestly doesn't seem like that much food - when I was bodybuilding, I would have loved to do that for at least a few weeks. But I wonder how long you could keep that up, would your body start rejecting it after a period or would you adapt and instead get sick if you changed your diet? Assuming you're also eating other things like vegetables.

It got some friends talking about "if you could eat just one thing for a year/the rest of your life/whatever, what would it be?" I think I'd pick salmon sushi. Also not really all that bad for you if you're active, but again I wonder about the cumulative effect - we know that seafood tends to have a bit of mercury in it, could you actually get mercury poisoning from eating a great deal of salmon over an extended period of time, is that even possible? Or conversely, could you get acute mercury poisoning from eating a ton of salmon in one sitting? Is THAT even possible?

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Taeke posted:

I have pretty spotty wifi in some places in my house, like my bedroom and bathroom (especially when I'm lying in the bath and using my phone) and I get that that's because of the signals being hindered by distance, walls and water and all that. I'll get some amplifiers or whatever pretty soon, but just now I just realised something that made me wonder about how it works.

You see, in my living room I have no wifi issues because I'm close to the source and there's no obstacles, but then I go to bed and it goes spotty. Streaming will start buffering and poo poo, but then I just reconnect to the same wifi and everything seems to be fine, or at least better. Still not as good as it was without the obstacles and distance compared to living room, but definitely better than before I made new connection.

What's happening there? Is there like an algorithm or whatever that decides 'oh this bandwith seems to be less hindered by the walls and poo poo so even though it's slower it's more stable and I'll use that now'?

Like I said, I'll probably have an engineer from the ISP come by because my house is big and old and complicated (due to the work I do) and I want to provide good wifi for both myself and my clients, but I'm still curious.

It will be hard to say without knowing the exact products being used, but yes there are aspects of wi-fi that try to improve the quality of the connection based on certain conditions.

For example, once I was in an environment where I was at the very edge of the wireless radius for an access points 5 GHz band. This meant that sometimes my device would momentarily lose the signal to the 5GHz network and then reconnect to the 2.4 GHz network since it could still detect that network.

It's also possible that there could be connection quality rules or settings on the device you are using that check for things like dropped packets or packets that have to be resent and if it reaches a certain threshold, then it tries switching to a more stable connection, although I would suspect rules like this would only be on a device managed by a company's IT department.

If your router has a 5 GHz band and multiple antennas, then it probably also performs a signal processing technique called beamforming. Essentially this technique tries to locate where your device is and then modifies the signal from the antennas so the signal is stronger in the direction of your device. When you move around, it's possible that the router is updating so it can retarget your device more accurately (although I think the router would update this instantaneously every few seconds, so I'm not sure if it is an actual issue).

Edit: Also, you don't necessarily need an evaluation of your house to make a stronger network. You may want to look into a mesh router and network system which let's you place multiple access points around your house which then form one network by communicating with each other.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/what-is-mesh-wifi-router,news-24580.html

Goon Boots fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 6, 2022

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

Mister Speaker posted:

This guy on twitter is eating a whole rotisserie chicken every day. He's up to 39 days and showing no signs of stopping. I'm curious about this because it honestly doesn't seem like that much food - when I was bodybuilding, I would have loved to do that for at least a few weeks. But I wonder how long you could keep that up, would your body start rejecting it after a period or would you adapt and instead get sick if you changed your diet? Assuming you're also eating other things like vegetables.

It got some friends talking about "if you could eat just one thing for a year/the rest of your life/whatever, what would it be?" I think I'd pick salmon sushi. Also not really all that bad for you if you're active, but again I wonder about the cumulative effect - we know that seafood tends to have a bit of mercury in it, could you actually get mercury poisoning from eating a great deal of salmon over an extended period of time, is that even possible? Or conversely, could you get acute mercury poisoning from eating a ton of salmon in one sitting? Is THAT even possible?

A rotisserie chicken is an excellent source of protein and fat and a good source of a lot of micronutrients, if he's eating other stuff as well for vitamins and fiber there's no reason he couldn't do it forever as long as he keeps his calorie expenditure high. If he's not getting enough fiber he's eventually going to have colon issues and he needs vitamin C and stuff so he doesn't get scurvy or rickets or whatever, but overall there's not really any major issues with it as long as other dietary issues are addressed.

Mercury is most harmful when inhaled, ingested mercury isn't as dangerous and something like less than 10% of it actually enters the body (at which point it takes a couple months to leave). I don't know what the concentration in salmon is on average, but you could certainly poison yourself with it if your salmon had enough mercury in it. I don't think fish with that level of mercury are that common in the modern supply chain but it's happened in the past.

PiratePrentice fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Nov 6, 2022

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hopefully an easy one.

I can't find my cookie cutters. What can I use to cut shapes into a really thick sugar cookie dough? I tried using a jar and a glass, but they form too much suction and it's hard to get them out.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

A knife?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Cut an aluminum can in half with a dull knife you don't care about. If you make a second cut you can shape the metal circle into a star or something pretty easily. When you go to use it press down with a hotpad or something so you don't cut your palms

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I've heard of hunters in the olden times dying of malnutrition due to eating nothing but rabbit. But that might also be bullshit, I'm having a hard time finding a credible reference, only preppers and "meat only" diet advocates (did you know that subculture existed? I didn't!) and various other wackos of that stripe.

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
Meat is basically the most nutritious thing you can eat, you can survive almost entirely on meat if you've got a good source of vitamin C (pine needles boiled into tea even works). Humans are one of only three mammals that needs dietary vitamin C, all the others just create it themselves. We prefer variety because of evolutionary factors, but we don't really need it, we just need a certain suite of micronutrients and enough protien and fat and you'll survive just fine.

There are plenty of mammals that eat literally the exact same thing for their entire life, some animals prefer it and will balk at the variety we crave (housecats prefer monotonous diets for example).

None of this is to say that you should eat nothing but meat, it's bad for your colon and you'll probably die of cancer a lot earlier than someone with a normal diet.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

RCarr posted:

A knife?

lol. Square sugar cookies it is

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Hyperlynx posted:

I've heard of hunters in the olden times dying of malnutrition due to eating nothing but rabbit. But that might also be bullshit, I'm having a hard time finding a credible reference, only preppers and "meat only" diet advocates (did you know that subculture existed? I didn't!) and various other wackos of that stripe.

From what I’ve read, that’s because rabbits don’t have enough fat. I think that only goes for wild rabbits though. I used to raise meat rabbits and on a modern pellet diet plus snacks I had some faaat rabbits.

King Carnivore
Dec 17, 2007

Graveyard Disciple

Hyperlynx posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protein_poisoning

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

There's some old timey wisdom that i think there's some truth to that you could survive a winter eating bear and deer, but not just one or the other. Of course if you eat either one + some plants you are fine. But i guess in the mountains in the winter that might not always be an option.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Inuit people did well on basically only fish and marine mammals - beluga whale skin apparently has a lot of vitamin C, as does liver from various animals.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Yes, I found it too, and it has a big ole warning at the top saying "these sources are poo poo, someone please add one from an actual respected medical authority"

E: wow, username post combo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Just be sure not to eat polar bear liver, you will die from vitamin A poisoning. That is, if you don't die from trying to kill a polar bear with a knife.