Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

MLSM posted:

ffs what is the context behind all these Bernie avatars

I said a mod is behind it, to which an admin assumed I meant they were abusing their powers to change avatars for free and denied it without providing evidence (screenshots can be faked so who cares anyway). I still posit that a mod is doing it (maybe even paying for it [could be Jeff]).

There is an alternative that I will not give credence to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Corky Romanovsky posted:

I said a mod is behind it, to which an admin assumed I meant they were abusing their powers to change avatars for free and denied it without providing evidence (screenshots can be faked so who cares anyway). I still posit that a mod is doing it (maybe even paying for it [could be Jeff]).

its bernie trying to win back his base

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

January 6 Survivor posted:

I mean he ain't wrong, "Dokdo is Serbia" is an important part of my personal ideology.

Try it out, pick a place at random on the map and claim it as belonging to another country, it's fun and harmless.

Budjak is Romania

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
He can buy a lot of AVs with my donations.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Breakfast All Day posted:

i havent seen a single reputable source supporting the claim these states are not pointlike entities undergoing uniform acceleration

:2bong:

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

My grandad went from the UK to fight in Rhodesia :yikes: didn't tell anyone about it either, just disappeared. Then came back when he was done like nothing had happened. Just a casual bit of ethno nationalist war you see, had to be done.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Corky Romanovsky posted:

given how harmless they are i think about it way less than this

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Cookie Cutter posted:

My grandad went from the UK to fight in Rhodesia :yikes: didn't tell anyone about it either, just disappeared. Then came back when he was done like nothing had happened. Just a casual bit of ethno nationalist war you see, had to be done.

so did you make sure your grand dad knew his grandson thought he was a piece of poo poo?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Cookie Cutter posted:

well sounds like your grandma and whoever else didnt mind either so it all worked out

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
slava ukraini

https://twitter.com/business/status/1589237433241145349?s=20&t=CNMexjuhZG4Zz7vMxBGEUQ

quote:

Ukrainian culture and identity has developed despite a history of suppression. As early as the 19th century, Russian Emperor Alexander the Second banned Ukrainian language in schools, books, theater and songs. That forced Ukrainians to form secret societies, underground schools and printing presses to preserve the language and culture. In 1933 Joseph Stalin barred the letter “g” from the Ukrainian alphabet, declaring it was too nationalistic since it had no equivalent in the Russian language. It was only reinstated in 1991, the year the Soviet Union collapsed and Ukraine became independent.

“The widespread preconceptions of Ukraine, worldwide, include that it is a relatively new country with no significant history or cultural contributions to the world, which, of course, is a false myth propagated by Russia” said Sheiko, the Ukrainian Institute director general. Sheiko says many Ukrainian artists and intellectuals are incorrectly identified as Russian. “That’s how an imperial culture like Russia acts to subdue neighboring countries,” he said. “[They] take the best of Ukrainian artists and make them known worldwide as Russian.”

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Corky Romanovsky posted:

the berniefactor is the cia. they're trying to be splitters on this infamous anti imperialist forum. that or it's vladolf putler

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
Ukraine, Rhodesia, and Israel. The Three Pillars of the West

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/MarkAmesExiled/status/1589228312777424897#m

I think we had that article, but the pull quote gives it another spin. The Euros are griping behind closed doors and we should pretend we're seeking a settlement to make them shut up as compared to Joe Biden is looking for an off ramp. Might both be true though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I read through most of a biography of "Mad Mike" Hoare before I figured out that he was the bad guy

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

genericnick posted:

I think we had that article, but the pull quote gives it another spin. The Euros are griping behind closed doors and we should pretend we're seeking a settlement to make them shut up as compared to Joe Biden is looking for an off ramp. Might both be true though.

oh cool finally we can start to end thi-

oh

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

genericnick posted:

Lmfao https://twitter.com/mossrobeson__/status/1589059204857622530

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

oh my god the top reply
https://twitter.com/lingerence/status/1526602174104584194

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Like, there's this dumb little song on youtube from the Bush War that was evidently composed by soldiers. It's set the tune of "It's a Long Way to Tipperary" but all the lyrics about how the drill sergeant yells alot and how there's a nice club in Bulawayo. It's exactly sort of song that yokels in the most extraneous portion of the British Empire would write, and all the comments underneath it are these 20-something idiots having religious experiences about the Rhodesian dream and how they could see themselves bush warring as they listen in 480p.

The one comment from a real deal Rhodesian is this totally grill-pilled boomer comment where the guy is like "nice song, reminds me of dirty tunes we'd sing barracks. didn't know anyone recorded this stuff!" The little manlings crowded around this guy and tried to ask him what rhodesia was like and where he is now, and the fella didn't respond.

Well it's also the same name https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf0cA0udjRk

I should probably delete my spotify account because it keeps just randomly playing poo poo like that.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
every time lol

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Cool letting Nazis recruit children

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Majorian posted:

Russia being able to successfully integrate all of the regions it's officially annexed looks like it could be a tall order going forward. Beyond that, I don't think the Kremlin has dropped its stated war aim of "demilitarizing" Ukraine, and that also probably isn't going to be feasible anytime soon.

Eh. Successfully integrating the regions it took doesn't seem like that tall of an order? If I had to come up with any kind of end the most likely one is that the frontiers are just going to stay in one place with neither Ukraine nor Russia having the ability/political will for new offensive operations. And everything on the Russian side is probably going to more or less get integrated. Like that's just what a ceasefire but no actual settlement looks like after a decade and I don't think the Russians have claimed a lot more territory than they hold already. Certainly seems more likely than Ukraine taking Crimea.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

Well it's also the same name https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mf0cA0udjRk

I should probably delete my spotify account because it keeps just randomly playing poo poo like that.

Ive had a few times listening to folk music or old union songs and something vaguely fashy would come on and I'd look up the band and at best it was a bunch of "proud boys"

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/GeromanAT/status/1589239552698646528

https://twitter.com/tatyanaodesssa/status/1589238876870414338

KomradeX posted:

Ive had a few times listening to folk music or old union songs and something vaguely fashy would come on and I'd look up the band and at best it was a bunch of "proud boys"

Yeah that poo poo is noticeable sometimes, but I didn't know anything about this Rhodesia business.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

looks like the Russian reserves aren’t going to make any difference, the ukranians pretty much have the Russians figured out and have an invincible defense. I will genuinely be surprised if the Russians manage any major breakthrough even during winter.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

looks like the Russian reserves aren’t going to make any difference, the ukranians pretty much have the Russians figured out and have an invincible defense. I will genuinely be surprised if the Russians manage any major breakthrough even during winter.

lol, some squad took heavy loses because they were told to go secure a village or something without checking if it's been cleared.

Ukrainians been doing this poo poo the entire time and suffering even worse, but nobody talks about it here.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1589247294792433664

https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1589102680755929088

michaels right

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lol at Michael "world's greatest sex machine" Tracey figuring out that the Republicans aren't actually anti-war

The man is quickly catching up to being more correct than Glenn Greenwald

speng31b
May 8, 2010

https://www.ft.com/content/0d84255c-84ba-4462-b80a-8593352852e2

quote:

US oil producers have raked in more than $200bn in profits since Russia’s invasion of Ukraine as they cash in on a period of geopolitical turmoil that has shaken up the global energy market and sent prices soaring.

[...]

Responding to the prospect of a windfall tax, Darren Woods, chief executive of ExxonMobil, which had its most profitable quarter ever, said his company’s chunky dividend should be considered its way of “returning some of our profits directly to the American people”.

“We prioritised for share value creation over the pursuit of volumes,” said Rick Muncrief, chief executive of Devon Energy, a big shale driller. “And we have rewarded shareholders with market-leading cash returns.”

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Al-Saqr posted:

Read this post before noticing the poster and went "lol this sounds so much like a Saqr post".

Who knows tough, you might be right.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

I love how these posts have the tone of someone calling in to sports radio to say that the Bills are frauds who are just going to choke in the playoffs again

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

sum posted:

I love how these posts have the tone of someone calling in to sports radio to say that the Bills are frauds who are just going to choke in the playoffs again

the buffalo bills are frauds the Jets are gonna win! if not we’ll just bring in DA BEARS this Christmas!!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Freezer posted:

Read this post before noticing the poster and went "lol this sounds so much like a Saqr post".

Who knows tough, you might be right.

he’s never been right

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
by simultaneously holding every possible, and more than a few impossible positions al-saqr has constructed an invincible defence in the posting war. you can cast doubt upon his pronouncements all you like, but he will simply shrug them off

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
putting al saqr's uncanny knack for being wrong aside, it sure does seem like russia's sucking incredible amounts of rear end right now.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Jose Mengelez posted:

putting al saqr's uncanny knack for being wrong aside, it sure does seem like russia's sucking incredible amounts of rear end right now.

each side is doing just bad or well enough to continue maximal escalation, which is lovely

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

he’s never been right

You can't lose when you bet on every single roulette number!

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
I like when people frame this conflict as uniquely evil and genocidal lol. It makes me feel better about buying rockets with the Among Us guy on them to take out orcs.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Freezer posted:

Everyone knows tough, that you are 100% right.

Jose Mengelez posted:

putting al saqr's uncanny huge dick and knack for being super right aside

Guys no need to heap praise, thank you for believing in me, I’ll continue doing my best in being right. :haibrow:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

by simultaneously holding every possible, and more than a few impossible positions al-saqr has constructed an invincible defence in the posting war. you can cast doubt upon his pronouncements all you like, but he will simply shrug them off

al-Heisaqrenbergs uncertainty posting principle