Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

howe_sam posted:

My only real complaint with Weird was saying Amish Paradise was the original felt a little off since they'd already done that joke with Eat It, and Dare to be Stupid would've worked better there anyway. Other than that, it was great, and Evan Rachel Wood steals the movie.

Oh, and there should've been more accordion.

Then we wouldn't have gotten a lingering shot of a very devious and conniving looking Coolio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It is kind of funny that a movie starring Daniel Radcliffe is exclusive to the Roku channel.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It’s also funny how ripped he got

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

muscles like this! posted:

It is very goofy when it turns into an action movie.

Worth it for "I've killed a lot of people since last Thursday!"

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Finally started Severance before my Apple TV+ trial runs out. I remember hearing good things about this one, but I'm on episode 3 and I'm just not into it at all. I likely won't finish the whole season. I've got a few other shows on my Apple TV watchlist like Ted Lasso, For All Mankind and Black Bird, so I'll probably just move on to one of those instead.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

This was me when I suggested Severance during my last visit to the parents and they decided to put it on immediately. I'm never suggesting a good show to them ever again. I saw two good friends during the trip as well. I watched Andor with one of them and House of the Dragon with the other. Seeing both of them access their phone while watching made me want to unplug their TVs. Either watch the poo poo or don't. gently caress!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rageaholic posted:

Finally started Severance before my Apple TV+ trial runs out. I remember hearing good things about this one, but I'm on episode 3 and I'm just not into it at all. I likely won't finish the whole season. I've got a few other shows on my Apple TV watchlist like Ted Lasso, For All Mankind and Black Bird, so I'll probably just move on to one of those instead.

Just uh making sure you aren't watching Servant correct? I think you may be the first person I've actually seen that hasn't liked Severance.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

BonoMan posted:

Just uh making sure you aren't watching Servant correct? I think you may be the first person I've actually seen that hasn't liked Severance.

It's a fine show, but it wouldn't be the first on my list of recommendations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

BonoMan posted:

I wasn't haha. Yeah, everything I'd heard about it had been positive, I just got nothing out of the few episodes I watched so I bailed :shobon:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

howe_sam posted:

My only real complaint with Weird was saying Amish Paradise was the original felt a little off since they'd already done that joke with Eat It, and Dare to be Stupid would've worked better there anyway. Other than that, it was great, and Evan Rachel Wood steals the movie.

Agreed about Evan Rachel Wood. The whole film was so good, it may have taken the #2 spot for satirical musical biopics, it can't dethrone Walk Hard though. I thought the last act felt like it ran out of steam a bit, but it was still very clever throughout.

The pool party scene is nuts. My favourite cameo might be Jorma and Akiva from The Lonely Island as Pee-Wee Herman and Alice Cooper.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

muscles like this! posted:

It is very goofy when it turns into an action movie.

I had never imagined accordion music being used as a stress theme during a fist fight before.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
lmfao, the new Netflix Blockbuster show is an adaptation of a twitter account.

In this thread we stan a creatively bankrupt streaming service ironically circling the drain of content.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

BonoMan posted:

I recently watched the first episode, and while I agree it’s extremely well made, I can’t watch anymore for entirely personal reasons. I had no idea going in that the show was about a character trying to get over the death of his wife, seemingly about a year ago. And yeah, sorry, that’s way too close to life for me to relive in a TV show.

And I have no idea where the show goes, but if there’s a twist where that ends up not being true, don’t bother mentioning it. It won’t help how hosed up I felt watching it.

Too bad, though. It seems like a show I’d otherwise be up for. But I certainly didn’t know that was a part of the plot from the commercials. Maybe I just missed it.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 6, 2022

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

thrawn527 posted:

I recently watched the first episode, and while I agree it’s extremely well made, I can’t watch anymore for entirely personal reasons. I had no idea going in that the show was about a character trying to get over the death of his wife, seemingly about a year ago. And yeah, sorry, that’s way too close to life for me to relive in a TV show.

And I have no idea where the show goes, but if there’s a twist where that ends up not being true, don’t bother mentioning it. It won’t help how hosed up I felt watching it.

Too bad, though. It seems like a show I’d otherwise be up for. But I certainly didn’t know that a part of the plot from the commercials. Maybe I just missed it.

Ok

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
my family won't watch severance because they think severance is a bad title.

that's it for them. end of discussion. i've brought it up a few times and every time they think it must be about unemployment or something. because it's called severance.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Maybe their innie will watch it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

thrawn527 posted:

It’s a fair enough reason and I have the same issue with some shows. For some reason the Severance plot inclusion didn’t get to me, but I remember in my first year every new loving show was ‘new widowed dad comedy’ and boy it wasn’t needed.

For some shows I feel it gives me more of an insight to a character as long as it’s handled well.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

roomtone posted:

my family won't watch severance because they think severance is a bad title.

that's it for them. end of discussion. i've brought it up a few times and every time they think it must be about unemployment or something. because it's called severance.

I mean, it is a kind of pun on that idea.

the severance package in this case is death

But yeah their reasoning uhhh yeah what's the term loving sucks.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I avoided the show for a long time because it sounded to me like it was about attorneys or rich people or some boring poo poo like that.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Wait, people really judge shows by their covers titles?

I mean, at least watch a trailer or read a blurb lmao.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's why Terriers only got one season

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's me, the Bill Lawrence fan who still hasn't seen Cougartown

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

It's why Terriers only got one season

Who wants to watch a show about tiny dogs?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Can’t tell you how much I am vibing with this post

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just wanted to say that this made me think of God Friended Me which is probably one of the absolute dumbest titles of any show, and is probably the closest to a real-life version of a Jack Donaghy idea from 30 Rock.

Actually Lucifer (the show) is kind of a Jack idea, just with the devil instead of god.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
“Let us pray.”
“……to whom?????”

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Don't Trust the B in Apartment 23 checking in.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

In this thread we stan a creatively bankrupt streaming service ironically circling the drain of content.

The reviews for it are not good.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

How could it fail! Just like poo poo My Dad Says!!!!

I watched the first episode. Won't be watching any more

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I 3 episodes in and while there is some real bad, dated writing in the first 10 minutes, its an ok show. Its not as bad as people are making it seem and has a few good jokes each episode. Mostly it seems to be wasting Melissa Fumero and Randall Park as I know they can be really really funny.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
Sorry for your loss, that's terrible.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Finishing up on Amazon's A League Of Their Own. Genuinely a fantastic show, and if it's not renewed (and let's be honest, Amazon is in the middle of another half arsed, overcorrected content pivot and they're putting most all of their teen and minority shows out to pasture, so it's doubtful) then it's a loving shame.

Not the best show of the year -- we've had a lot of good shows this year -- but if it's cancelled as a one-and-done then I think it should go down in the books with the likes of Kings, Terriers, etc. as excellent one season wonders.

Here's the pitch, if you've not seen it: It's basically two different shows about women's baseball in the forties -- yes based on the film. In one show, you've got a GLOW style sports comedy about a group of misfits building a team and rallying against odds. In the other, you've got a buddy show about two black women who float around the fringes of the white world of women's baseball.

Fantastic loving cast, full of gold star character actors like D'Arcy Carden, Kelly McCormack, Kate Berlant and, one of my favourite actors, the great Dale Dickey, plus a bunch of names I've not really seen before but whose work I was very impressed by. The comic chemistry from Gbemisola Ikumelo, who'd I'd never noticed in anything before, was impeccable, and I had no idea she was British either. Just a fantastically cast production all around.

The worst I can say is that the ending is exactly what you'd expect -- and want it to be -- in something like this. Made me laugh, made me cry. The platonic ideal of this kind of television. Great stuff.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Am I the only one disappointed that Weird isn't a completely serious biopic about Weird Al's actual life?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zola was based on a twitter thread and it was good.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

SimonChris posted:

Am I the only one disappointed that Weird isn't a completely serious biopic about Weird Al's actual life?

My understanding is that his life is pretty mundane, there are no drugs, scandals, or drama that make for a compelling story to non-fans.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

swickles posted:

I 3 episodes in and while there is some real bad, dated writing in the first 10 minutes, its an ok show. Its not as bad as people are making it seem and has a few good jokes each episode. Mostly it seems to be wasting Melissa Fumero and Randall Park as I know they can be really really funny.

I watched the first episode last night and like… it’s a sitcom pilot. Clunky and kind of weird in that I had a hard time figuring out when it was set for awhile. But carried by the charm of its leads.

My main takeaway is that Netflix made a show about the business they famously put out of business so they could ironically repeatedly dunk on Amazon.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

SimonChris posted:

Just watch the behind the music episode then.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Oasx posted:

My understanding is that his life is pretty mundane, there are no drugs, scandals, or drama that make for a compelling story to non-fans.

According to Weird Al himself, it would have made for a boring movie. He said he had supportive parents (his father said the key to success was to do whatever makes you happy), grew in middle class, and started making parody songs in high school, getting his first song on the radio at 17, and the rest just went from there. This is better.

Plus, like, of course a Weird Al biopic would be a parody.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Also, Al wanted to make a wildly inaccurate biopic about himself to make fun of the heavy sensationalization in "real" biopics.

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/05/1134514246/weird-al-yankovic-on-his-new-biopic-starring-daniel-radcliffe

NPR posted:

SIMON: Were you trying to say something, show something about biopics?

YANKOVIC: Well, the whole joke is that biopics take so many creative liberties that they really can't be trusted whatsoever.

SIMON: Yeah.

YANKOVIC: Even documentaries, sometimes you can't trust 100%. But biopics are made purely for entertainment purposes. And they're based in reality, but they take a lot of liberties. And when I saw movies like "Bohemian Rhapsody" and "Rocketman," both of which I really liked - and I'm a huge Queen fan and a huge Elton John fan - it irked me because I saw so many times when they just arbitrarily changed facts or changed the chronology. And as a fan, that disturbed me. But I understood on some level why they did it. But I just thought, like, oh, if I ever do my own biopic, I'm just going to throw facts out the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I can't imagine how an accurate Weird Al biopic would have went. I really like the way Weird ended.