Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

MrQwerty posted:

The amount of employment rights-related lawsuits Elon's managed to generate in a week is quite astonishing

DiSrUpTiOn!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

teen witch posted:

Elon uses A-1 on his steak
I have it on good authority that A1 makes every bite count!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg1F2c4nS6o

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s not how “gardening leave” works, the agreement is that you are no longer employed by the company but can’t work for anyone else so that the information you hold in your head goes out of date, password resets, building entry codes and the like. The severance pay being held back is in case you go back on this deal. If he wants them back he has to rehire with a new contract.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

BigBadSteve posted:

Turn off your monitor.

But seriously, all, has there been any more news about Musky's penis yet?

Indeed there has
https://twitter.com/jephjacques/status/1588933764692185090

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

learnincurve posted:

It’s not how “gardening leave” works, the agreement is that you are no longer employed by the company but can’t work for anyone else so that the information you hold in your head goes out of date, password resets, building entry codes and the like. The severance pay being held back is in case you go back on this deal. If he wants them back he has to rehire with a new contract.

gardening leave you are still employed, the employer just doesn't want you at work / performing you duties. they can require you to return at any time if they decide you are required.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

There's no way that stands up in court.

On Friday, you inform an employee in writing they're laid off with 3 months severance.

On Monday, you inform them they're back on the job, and if they refuse, they're fired without severance.

I'm no lawyer, but there's no way that flies.

It might not have been a severance in the legal sense. Twitter might have just paid them their wages for the coming 3 months period of notice in a lump sum and sent them home/suspended them. They would still be technically employed and could be called back at any time. You would have to pay back the wages if you didn't come in, cause you would be in breach of employment contract.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Buce posted:

I know it’s been said, but every single twaet that mentions elong is just flooded with sycophants tripping over each other to suck musks little pecker. It’s tremendously pathetic.

It reminds me of when Lowtax would come to the forums and any thread he posted in would become derailed into sucking him off

E: woah I need caffeine page 139 and 149 are different, I thought I was on the last page.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Songbearer posted:

If you rearrange the keys in his name you get Elon Suk

m

Elon's muk.

kru
Oct 5, 2003

lone kums

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Waffle House posted:

He's a loving idiot, an absolute buffoon flying by the seat of his goddamn pants, just like the rest of the planet, and just like the rest of us.

jokes on you i'm not wearing pants

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Free idea for you Elon: charge Twitter users $10 a pop to changes other users' profile pictures.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

C-Euro posted:

Free idea for you Elon: charge Twitter users $10 a pop to changes other users' profile pictures.

Make it free to change other users profile pics and charge the original user $10 to change it back

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
8 a month let's you rent the Musky Tusk as well as unlocks nipples

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Plant MONSTER. posted:

8 a month let's you rent the Musky Tusk as well as unlocks nipples

Don’t leak my OF, rude

I thought we were friends PM, what, after last night

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
lol valerie bertinelli changed her name to elon musk

https://twitter.com/Wolfiesmom/status/1588969800675782656

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

lmao everyone is becoming wild in the Clyde thread and I love it. The last 5 pages have been hilarious

e:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

A fool and his money are soon parted, by $8/month.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Stink Billyums posted:

lol valerie bertinelli changed her name to elon musk

https://twitter.com/Wolfiesmom/status/1588969800675782656

I hope more people just change their name to Elon Musk to prove the point.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's been quaint seeing people flee Twitter and try to force propping up an alternative. Mastadon is currently leading, but what made Twitter Twitter wasn't the client, but that everyone was on it. Politicians, musicians, students etc. Even people with millions of Twitter followers only have a low hundred there, for now.

This is kind of fascinating. Has any big web platform sank this quickly? Tumblr, MySpace, SA, etc. all have had pretty slow deaths. Like a soap opera seeing it happen so suddenly.

I'm of the opinion Twitter was already kind of dying, anecdotally evidenced by going to a few events recently that a few years back were all over the platform with # and attendee's posting poo poo. This year the activity was noticeably more of a whimper. Could just be the events, suppose.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I will be very amused when Twitter immediately adds some other badge for famous people once everyone can get the blue check.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

It's been quaint seeing people flee Twitter and try to force propping up an alternative. Mastadon is currently leading, but what made Twitter Twitter wasn't the client, but that everyone was on it. Politicians, musicians, students etc. Even people with millions of Twitter followers only have a low hundred there, for now.

This is kind of fascinating. Has any big web platform sank this quickly? Tumblr, MySpace, SA, etc. all have had pretty slow deaths. Like a soap opera seeing it happen so suddenly.

I'm of the opinion Twitter was already kind of dying, anecdotally evidenced by going to a few events recently that a few years back were all over the platform with # and attendee's posting poo poo. This year the activity was noticeably more of a whimper. Could just be the events, suppose.

See the problem that now exists is those celebrities, politicians, etc. have no way to prove they are even on Twitter. So it kind of losss that edge

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

smackfu posted:

I will be very amused when Twitter immediately adds some other badge for famous people once everyone can get the blue check.

damage is already done, you only get one shot at poo poo like this, especially when you're taking stuff away from people that proves they're not lying about who they are.

Twitter, in one week, lost any goodwill it had left and all of its credibility, mostly within the course of 72 hours.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Digg has come up a few times as an extremely rapid decline.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

See the problem that now exists is those celebrities, politicians, etc. have no way to prove they are even on Twitter. So it kind of losss that edge

As do local gov or crisis NGO's, tho I saw some scuttlebutt they may make a secondary verification thing for them.

That's part of it, but a much larger issue is that Elon burned any skeptical optimism about the platform through the firings, and who was fired. Anyone watching that has lost faith that the platform, janky as it is/was will improve anytime soon. He's been pretty open about nickel and dimming it, bragging that people who pay money will have their stuff put up front... it's all pretty bad for the user.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Posting to the right thread this time, the only proper use of the blue check:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

i'd say a solid 75% of the journalists and natsec folks i follow are now on mastodon

there is some initial obtuseness with the signup process and servers (tl;dr: it doesn't really matter) but as long as this trend continues it should do everything i need it to. and there's no ads or algorithm weirdness

Mozi fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 6, 2022

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

smackfu posted:

For another 8 dollars a month you get 2 checkmarks, and every 8 after that adds another, and another. The more checkmarks the more legit you are.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
2023: Unicode consortium adds an emoji that always looks exactly like the Twitter verification mark.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I can get over how stupid it was for him to spook, then attack the big advertisers. That's the only actual revenue twitter had.
Clearly its wasnt enough, but it was something

Like, you're hanging off a cliff on a rope that's slowly loosening, so you cut the rope and plan to design and build a parachute before you hit the ground.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
how much would monthy server costs for twitter be?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

digg failed much like this (lots of sudden, buggy change with no enduser input) and was pretty spectacular. it gave rise to reddit

crime weed
Nov 9, 2009

roomtone posted:

if you fire all the people maintaining the servers, halt all hardware upgrades/maintenance, cancel the insurance plans, i think it's just, what, rent & licenses? probably pennies!

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

kartikeya posted:

Posting to the right thread this time, the only proper use of the blue check:

this is like when we had all the different lowtaxes except lowtax handled it with more grace

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
richard "lowtax" "more graceful than elon musk" kyanka

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/blainecapatch/status/1588932525287960577?s=46&t=gQ4r4sQVWPOR0OgM3RbVAw

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Mozi posted:

i'd say a solid 75% of the journalists and natsec folks i follow are now on mastodon

there is some initial obtuseness with the signup process and servers (tl;dr: it doesn't really matter) but as long as this trend continues it should do everything i need it to. and there's no ads or algorithm weirdness

Journalists, natsec, and infosec were my bread-n-butter follows on Twitter. I have used mastodon before (mastodon.sdf.org) - which servers are you on?

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

roomtone posted:

https://dazeinfo.com/2019/10/16/twitter-operating-costs-and-expenses-type-by-quarter-graphfarm/

Given the quarterly of revenue was something $150Mish range I recon

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Mastodon really did a number with the trio of Leviathan, Blood Mountain and Crack the Skye. Good to see they're branching out now that they're older and wiser.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
That jives with the cutting $1B out, which would be 50%ish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

madmatt112 posted:

Journalists, natsec, and infosec were my bread-n-butter follows on Twitter. I have used mastodon before (mastodon.sdf.org) - which servers are you on?

uh i just signed up with some general server (@toot.community) but people like ankit panda, pwnallthethings, etc etc are easy to search for or may have posted on twitter about it, you can follow anyone on any server. then on the pc (didn't work on my phone for some reason) you can go to their profile and click on 'following' and see that list and find more people there. sometimes if someone's on a different server it makes you jump through a hoop to follow them but it does work

i see a bunch of them are on @mastodon.social or @infosec.exchange fwiw