Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Homer as a salaryman works shockingly well.

Also kinda funny they did Krusty as the shinigami like in the comics, but his voice sounds more like Moe half the time. Of course, if you take Krusty's voice and make it more guttural you basically get Moe. Same VA, right?

Krusty is voiced by Dan Castellaneta and Moe is voiced by Hank Azaria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

You Are A Elf posted:

Krusty is voiced by Dan Castellaneta and Moe is voiced by Hank Azaria.

Huh. Maybe just because they're both raspy?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I watched segments 2 and 3 at the whims of this thread, and I'll say that if they were projects made by fans of the show I'd be very happy with them, so kudos to the team

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

that Westworld segment really highlight how awful the animation is now, holey moley.

Harry Shearer barely tries anymore.

Other than that, this is probably in the top 10 episodes of the last ... 20+ years.

I give it a 4/10

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

https://twitter.com/thatbilloakley/status/1588308426496823296

Looks like Al Jean's Twitter got hacked by crypto scammers.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

that is the most Al Jean thing imaginable

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/edipyuksel/status/1460663684020072449

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

somebody mentioned hurricane neddy, so i have a question to pose to the rest of you:

was ned justified in blowing up at all the denizens of springfield?

i mean, sure it was pretty hilarious - particularly ned telling bart "wouldn't want you to have a cow, MAN" - but did they deserve it? like, there's plenty of things the people of springfield do to demonstrate they're total jerks but this was ironically one of the few cases where it didn't seem to apply. did they do an incredibly crappy job rebuilding ned's house? absolutely. but that was entirely an issue based on incompetence, not malice. for all their issues, their hearts were absolutely in the right place. and it's not like they made things any worse either. yeah, the house fell apart completely at the end, but IT WAS ALREADY COMPLETELY DESTROYED BEFOREHAND.

like, it would have made more sense if flanders had just broken down feeling completely defeated. but getting angry at the people who made a legit effort to help him out never sat right with me.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/baileymeyers/status/1588267931183423488?s=61&t=HZigh35BODRSno-VTHF6yA

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/baileymeyers/status/1588269706011516928

:psyduck:

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
It's crazy that there are whole epochs of the Simpsons no one will ever know about.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mr Interweb posted:

somebody mentioned hurricane neddy, so i have a question to pose to the rest of you:

i mean, sure it was pretty hilarious - particularly ned telling bart "wouldn't want you to have a cow, MAN" - but did they deserve it? like, there's plenty of things the people of springfield do to demonstrate they're total jerks but this was ironically one of the few cases where it didn't seem to apply. did they do an incredibly crappy job rebuilding ned's house? absolutely. but that was entirely an issue based on incompetence, not malice. for all their issues, their hearts were absolutely in the right place. and it's not like they made things any worse either. yeah, the house fell apart completely at the end, but IT WAS ALREADY COMPLETELY DESTROYED BEFOREHAND.

like, it would have made more sense if flanders had just broken down feeling completely defeated. but getting angry at the people who made a legit effort to help him out never sat right with me.

There's nothing quite like the frustration and anger at people who get your hopes up with their offers and attempts at 'helping' despite clearly having no idea what they're doing and at best putting you right back where you started. Like, 'good intentions' alone really aren't enough when you refuse to acknowledge your own actual ability to exercise them, let alone expect people to smile and nod when you've done nothing more than make an even bigger mess than before. It's something I think needs to be taught more, like when people try to 'help' a disabled person who did not ask for it or was even made aware of the 'help' intended.

Ned is of course overreacting but kinda the point is that it's a blow-up from years of tension and sucking down his anger, and a big part of the ending (which of course isn't acknowledged all that much further on, but hey) is that he's admitting to himself and others that he's entirely capable of anger and that expressing it is a normal part of being human.

...come to think of it, that he outright states being angry at his parents actually has a strong connection there. There's something very common with kids who realise how lovely their parents were- whether abusive, neglectful, and/or flat out unable or unwilling to exercise boundaries or provide help that a kid needs, being angry that their parents couldn't or wouldn't do basic poo poo that could have made their problems in adulthood so much more manageable, or at least understandable. And those drat beatniks were unwilling to enforce the most basic discipline, or as they put it 'We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas!' despite acknowledging the problem. And similar to what the people of Springfield were doing- acknowledging the problem but taking an absurd solution.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Mr Interweb posted:

I think the entire point of his outburst is that it happens at the worst possible time. In a lot of ways this episode plays off "When Flanders Failed." That episode ends with the town rallying to Ned and his store being saved in a smaltzy ending. This episode sees the town try to do something like that and fail. A key point though is that in "When Flanders Failed," Flanders is actually able to behave like a mature adult. When he hits rock bottom he doesn't suppress his emotions, he actually cries about it and Homer is sympathetic to him, leading to the resolution. Ned's brave face was just that, and he is fully aware of his emotions. In "Hurricane Neddy," we see the new Flanders, suppressing all his real emotions. "Hurricane Neddy" is a fun episode, but it is a good example of just how different the characterizations of some characters had become, and is a sign that the show was beginning to stagnate creatively somewhat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

sweet geek swag posted:

I think the entire point of his outburst is that it happens at the worst possible time. In a lot of ways this episode plays off "When Flanders Failed." That episode ends with the town rallying to Ned and his store being saved in a smaltzy ending. This episode sees the town try to do something like that and fail. A key point though is that in "When Flanders Failed," Flanders is actually able to behave like a mature adult. When he hits rock bottom he doesn't suppress his emotions, he actually cries about it and Homer is sympathetic to him, leading to the resolution. Ned's brave face was just that, and he is fully aware of his emotions. In "Hurricane Neddy," we see the new Flanders, suppressing all his real emotions. "Hurricane Neddy" is a fun episode, but it is a good example of just how different the characterizations of some characters had become, and is a sign that the show was beginning to stagnate creatively somewhat.

Well, the situations are pretty different too. One's Flanders actively setting out on a new venture- failing at a business is something he and everyone knew was a possibility, and something they have the tools to deal with. Hurricane Neddy is him just living his life when everything goes to poo poo for him (and the Leftorium gets looted in the aftermath, I just remembered, lol) and he's openly trying to keep a brave face for his family, while the community has no real idea what to do.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Well, the situations are pretty different too. One's Flanders actively setting out on a new venture- failing at a business is something he and everyone knew was a possibility, and something they have the tools to deal with. Hurricane Neddy is him just living his life when everything goes to poo poo for him (and the Leftorium gets looted in the aftermath, I just remembered, lol) and he's openly trying to keep a brave face for his family, while the community has no real idea what to do.

I think the scene were they all come together and show him the house is a deliberate callback to the earlier episode though, and the slow realization that they haven't in fact saved him is probably the best part of the episode, aside from maybe the actual meltdown. The meltdown itself I'm fine with, there's a lot of interesting places you could take that. But specifically making it about how Ned was just suppressing his emotions does feel a bit cheap and unearned, even if the explanation of it is funny.

The term for what is happening, is ironically named for this exact case: Flanderization. Many of the character traits Flanders starts displaying in this episode would become key elements of the slow exaggeration of this character.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

porfiria posted:

It's crazy that there are whole epochs of the Simpsons no one will ever know about.

i heard topher grace edited together a simpsons episode out of all the actually funny jokes of the last twenty years and played it at a party once. everyone who was there agreed that it was amazing but the suits won't let him release it.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Mantis42 posted:

i heard topher grace edited together a simpsons episode out of all the actually funny jokes of the last twenty years and played it at a party once. everyone who was there agreed that it was amazing but the suits won't let him release it.

I heard topher grace went into an episode and edited everything in the episode and they had to close the episode

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Lemon of Troy always felt like a... unique episode. Maybe because it's kid-focused on a way you rarely see outside of early seasons, and even then has kids you rarely see later on, like Todd on his own seperate from his family and their context, one of the nerd clique that's entirely forgotten outside Martin Prince, and putting the characters in the whole context of Shelbyville that's different from their usual haunt but mundane isn't something the show does too often.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

porfiria posted:

There was a”Treehouse of Horror” themed trivia round in the trivia league I’m in and I was certain I was gonna get wrecked because there are perhaps 20ish of those things I’ve never seen, or at most seen once while half paying attention, but, surprise surprise, the questions were all from the good or at least passable years. Pretending the later Simpsons don’t exist pays off yet again

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Tree Goat posted:

There was a”Treehouse of Horror” themed trivia round in the trivia league I’m in and I was certain I was gonna get wrecked because there are perhaps 20ish of those things I’ve never seen, or at most seen once while half paying attention, but, surprise surprise, the questions were all from the good or at least passable years. Pretending the later Simpsons don’t exist pays off yet again

:whatup:, fellow LL

I had more or less the same experience

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Empty Sandwich posted:

:whatup:, fellow LL

I had more or less the same experience

yep. literally the only one i didn't get was question 11, which is from some post-season-8 episode

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lenny got hit in the head with ice, so he used the ice!!!! I'M SNORTING!!!!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Riptor posted:

yep. literally the only one i didn't get was question 11, which is from some post-season-8 episode

nice! I missed four of them, but only really regret missing the Clinton one.

I am not a one-day achiever.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

Mantis42 posted:

has Topher Grace ever actually edited a real movie? it feels like every other week I find out he made a fan edit that combines the Bad Lieutenant movies or puts Indiana Jones in The Goonies or whatever but I don't think I've ever heard of him actually editing something suitable for public release

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Riptor posted:

i also missed it, but "the grand pumpkin" is apparently from treehouse 19 (season 20, 2008) so i'm glad to not have gotten it.

Empty Sandwich posted:

nice! I missed four of them, but only really regret missing the Clinton one.

I am not a one-day achiever.

my personal one-day threshold is "do i have at least a clue on at least half of them" which i guess is sort of contrary to the spirit of the thing but whatever

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tree Goat posted:

Even the freaks who actually watch zombie simpsons don't actually pay attention to it, let alone remember it. Neither do the writers, going by the one who got intereviewed and couldn't answer a question about any jokes or scenes they wrote and were particularly proud of, and got mad.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I did a trivia night with a friend, who refused to believe there was an episode with a man pretending to be a lesbian. Question was on what his real name was, which I blanked on completely.

Most of the post S15 questions nobody got, to be fair.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mutantIke posted:

has Topher Grace ever actually edited a real movie? it feels like every other week I find out he made a fan edit that combines the Bad Lieutenant movies or puts Indiana Jones in The Goonies or whatever but I don't think I've ever heard of him actually editing something suitable for public release

He once screened a edit he did of the Star Wars prequels that he'd cut down to one 85-minute movie that some people blogged about and it's probably overhyped but was supposed to be good.

I imagine every other Topher Grace fan edit rumor is a joke about the Star Wars edit.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Tree Goat posted:

my personal one-day threshold is "do i have at least a clue on at least half of them" which i guess is sort of contrary to the spirit of the thing but whatever

mine is 5: if I can submit money questions, I'll play

Paingod556 posted:

I did a trivia night with a friend, who refused to believe there was an episode with a man pretending to be a lesbian. Question was on what his real name was, which I blanked on completely.

I just looked it up l: Leslie Robin Swisher, who's disguised himself in order to play women's golf.

apparently gay groups and conservative groups both thought it was a good episode at the time, rather than an on-topic episode for this thread

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Just watched Lisa’s Pony for the first time in awhile and I must say, Homer’s Little Nemo-esque Slumberland dream sequence is absolutely gorgeous from the animation to the soothing cover of “Golden Slumbers.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQrp5-US_Eo

But wait just a minute, I don’t remember “Golden Slumbers” playing before, but another similar guitar song, and I was right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxZSM8Vl8pk

The second clip is apparently the syndicated version since the Beatles’s song publishers filed a complaint leading to this sound alike for years after the original airing. I’d forgotten it was originally “Golden Slumbers” and I’m glad they went back to it because it’s a nice cover that fits the scene so much better.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

You Are A Elf posted:

Just watched Lisa’s Pony for the first time in awhile and I must say, Homer’s Little Nemo-esque Slumberland dream sequence is absolutely gorgeous from the animation to the soothing cover of “Golden Slumbers.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQrp5-US_Eo

But wait just a minute, I don’t remember “Golden Slumbers” playing before, but another similar guitar song, and I was right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxZSM8Vl8pk

The second clip is apparently the syndicated version since the Beatles’s song publishers filed a complaint leading to this sound alike for years after the original airing. I’d forgotten it was originally “Golden Slumbers” and I’m glad they went back to it because it’s a nice cover that fits the scene so much better.

:unsmith: I never heard the original. How lovely, thank you.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Why in the gently caress do I remember that in such note for note detail that every second i am able to distinguish exactly what has been altered

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Simpsons used to be so loving good. This line read by Dan Castellaneta is pure gold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-PPTwTc1bw

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Plant MONSTER. posted:

:unsmith: I never heard the original. How lovely, thank you.

Not gonna lie, I lost my dad a year ago this month and he relished The Beatles into his soul. Once I realized it was “Golden Slumbers” and the piano softly kicked in, I almost started ugly crying, but it is a very lovely cover, regardless :unsmith:

Data Graham posted:

Why in the gently caress do I remember that in such note for note detail that every second i am able to distinguish exactly what has been altered

Yeah, no kidding. It was a mindfuck when I realized what it was and why it sounded different.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Can't wait to see Grandpa Simpson have a flashback to when he was a new recruit fighting in Afghanistan.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Between the Maude death and the horse jockey episode I think I'm tapped out. Was a great run.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

FireWorksWell posted:

Between the Maude death and the horse jockey episode I think I'm tapped out. Was a great run.

You're right on the money. Now, to experience the full effect, go watch the clips that started this thread in the first place

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Oh, those clips are part of what got me to watch in the first place. I wanted to see it at its best afterwards.

I thought I'd make it to the episode with the vendetta kid at least but oh well.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Finally watched the Treehouse of Horror, and I'm sorry guys, but I didn't hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

sweet geek swag posted:

I think the scene were they all come together and show him the house is a deliberate callback to the earlier episode though, and the slow realization that they haven't in fact saved him is probably the best part of the episode, aside from maybe the actual meltdown. The meltdown itself I'm fine with, there's a lot of interesting places you could take that. But specifically making it about how Ned was just suppressing his emotions does feel a bit cheap and unearned, even if the explanation of it is funny.

The term for what is happening, is ironically named for this exact case: Flanderization. Many of the character traits Flanders starts displaying in this episode would become key elements of the slow exaggeration of this character.

Those are good points, I’ve thought Hurricane Neddy is a solid golden age ep with the exception of the ending. Felt like they should have given Ned a scene confronting his parents and getting closure, it didn’t feel right how he declares going forward he will be angrier and possibly kill people with his car, especially as that was totally forgotten and never mentioned again, while having his parents show up from time to time could have been good.

Similar to two other controversial eps, with Tamzarian and Frank Grimes. Tamzarian was a flawed premise made worse but chickening out in the ending. I felt Grimes nailed it perfectly as they don’t pull punches about how he was unable to function in Springfield and got a tragic end that closed out the story and didn’t require anyone to go out of character.