Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The Modern Leper posted:

Bojack, Kimmy Schmidt (known quantities)
Ms. Dynamite (maybe little watched)
American Vandal Season 1 (maybe the best pure comedy they've put out)
Grace and Frankie (YMMV, but there are a lot of good actors with a lot of great chemistry)

I really liked bad trip and the first season of Russian Doll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Never Have I Ever is also good.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I Think You Should Leave is hilarious but it’s a sketch show

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Santa Clarita Diet is great if you like watching Timothy Olyphant have a continuous nervous breakdown trying to find Nazi baseball teams to feed to his wife Drew Barrymore.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I enjoyed Barbarian going in blind

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I thoroughly enjoyed Weird but I also live in a country with legal recreational weed and there may be a correlation there.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Ginny & Georgia is kinda a comedy

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

smackfu posted:

Are any of the Netflix original comedies actually funny?

Yes, I am watching their new show right now, why do you ask?

American Vandal is kinda a dry type of humor. Santa Clarita Diet is hilarious if you like gore and/or Drew Barrymore.

I dislike Bojack.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah Santa Clarita Diet was surprisingly good. Great writing and just funny all around.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Shageletic posted:

I dislike Bojack.

i guess there had to be one

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I made I through a few seasons of Bojack. Not sure it’s “funny” or not but I didn’t like it either. I really tried

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Bojack is definitely one of those love it or hate it shows. And it gets very dark in the later seasons.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Field Mousepad posted:

Bojack is definitely one of those love it or hate it shows. And it gets very dark in the later seasons.

Dark? Nahhhhh perfectly family friendly

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

some of my favorite things i've ever watched on the TV were bojack. maybe i have the right kind of trauma.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

I made I through a few seasons of Bojack. Not sure it’s “funny” or not but I didn’t like it either. I really tried

Really gave it a shot as well just a major bummer with alot of puns as it's main source of humor

Alotta Hollywood jokes that didn't hit either

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

A MIRACLE posted:

I gave it a few seasons too before giving up. If I'm watching a comedy series I don't really want to explore a character's abusive childhood or his own abusive behavior.

It really felt like a drama with comedic elements.

I think I gave up on Big Mouth for similar reasons but I don't remember anything specific about that show

Deadite fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Nov 6, 2022

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Alotta Hollywood jokes that didn't hit either

As someone who did their fair share of open mics, the scene where Herb and Bojack meet at a comedy show in 1985 where Herb is giving advice and says "Look, I've been doing stand-up for a year now, and it's the responsibility of big shots like me to always be looking out for the little guy." is on of the realest things I can remember from the show.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Deadite posted:

I gave it a few seasons too before giving up. If I'm watching a comedy series I don't really want to explore a character's abusive childhood or his own abusive behavior.

I think I gave up on Big Mouth for similar reasons but I don't remember anything specific about that show

Big mouth is a little too gross for me.

I like the bill burr cartoon ok.

The newish conspiracy cartoon with Lizzy caplan was hilarious

Cartoons!

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Atlas Hugged posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed Weird but I also live in a country with legal recreational weed and there may be a correlation there.

I was comfortably numb and was honestly not sure at the time if the massive tone/genre shifts and the escalation of plot stakes was the movie or my overactive brain.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

Deadite posted:

it is a drama!!!!! that's why it's good!!!!! the trauma!!!!!!!!!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Timothy Olyphant is really funny

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Santa Clarita diet was awesome I still need to watch the last season

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Atlas Hugged posted:

I watched it totally sober but I think I would've loved the Eat It part even more on edibles.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

The Santa Clarita Diet is great if you like watching Timothy Olyphant have a continuous nervous breakdown trying to find Nazi baseball teams to feed to his wife Drew Barrymore.

Yeah, while everyone gives a solid performance, Olyphant really was the standout in there. He's just an incredibly entertaining ball of walking manic energy. :allout:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
He was hilarious as a white sushi chef on the league

Man I used to love that show. I wonder if it holds up at all

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I'm kind of disappointed by Adult Swim: Infomercials, but I like Ambient Swim, both on HBO Max. Infomercials is such a perfect idea, but they make them too long to maintain the shock of whatever weird thing they're advertising. I did like the dog food steroid one. Ambient Swim is perfect for what it sets out to be: something to have on the TV until you feel the mushrooms coming on.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 7, 2022

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

BonoMan posted:

Well The Three Body Problem is not a good book so the bar should be low!

(I did like some of the ideas behind it but the writing was not great... So I'm still excited for the show).

Speak for yourself. I loved it. Currently reading The Dark Forest, and it's even better.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

precision posted:

He was hilarious as a white sushi chef on the league

Man I used to love that show. I wonder if it holds up at all

Depends on how you feel about gay panic, misogyny and an actor who lied about being in Tower 2 on 9/11.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heh

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/steve-rannazzisi-explains-lied-911/story?id=34296631

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

HOW DO YOU gently caress UP "ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT" LIKE THAT

I've not read the book, but I thought most of the movie was very effective. Paul's death, on the other hand, was so over the top it almost changes the tone of the entire movie into dark comedy. It really dances the line, which really is a directorial choice I wouldn't have made.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Before I make plans to get together with people to watch it, is it possible to watch Weird ad free? If not, how frequent are ad breaks?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Inspector Hound posted:

I'm kind of disappointed by Adult Swim: Infomercials, but I like Ambient Swim, both on HBO Max. Information is such a perfect idea, but they make them too long to maintain the shock of whatever weird thing they're advertising. I did like the dog food steroid one. Ambient Swim is perfect for what it sets out to be: something to have on the TV until you feel the mushrooms coming on.

This sounds extremely up my street

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

precision posted:

Timothy Olyphant is really funny

He was the best part of The Girl Next Door

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

Speak for yourself. I loved it. Currently reading The Dark Forest, and it's even better.

I just wish Liu Cixin could be normal about women one time.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I just wish 3BP didn't read like a freshman physics lecture.

Oh wait no I also wish it wasn't like 1000 pages long.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

Brocktoon posted:

Before I make plans to get together with people to watch it, is it possible to watch Weird ad free? If not, how frequent are ad breaks?

My understanding is that the only place you can watch it is the roku app and it is free as long as you can access the app somehow. There were five or six ad breaks indicated on the status/progress bar (whatever that thing is called). I quit watching at the first ad break - I'm in a bad politics state and it was a solid two minutes of racist attack ads, couldn't handle it.

I'll try again when it gets released somewhere I can access it without ads.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
American Vandal is one of the best mockumentaries ever made and I cry myself to sleep at night knowing there will never be a third season.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

mutantIke posted:

American Vandal is one of the best mockumentaries ever made and I cry myself to sleep at night knowing there will never be a third season.

Heyyy

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Papercut posted:

I just wish 3BP didn't read like a freshman physics lecture.

Oh wait no I also wish it wasn't like 1000 pages long.

Yeah the concepts and ideas are really fun and I'm excited to see an adaptation... And maybe it's just a translation issue .. but I just felt like it needed a couple of editorial passes.

Also just finished Project Hail Mary which I think is being adapted.

Not a fan of Andy Weirs writing either. Again the science and concepts are fun... But it's written like some airport novel and just feels hacky. Quippy science Jack Reacher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mutantIke posted:

One of the creators has a show called Players, a pro gamer mock doc on paramount, that I've heard nothing about