Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Civ2 or 3 had test of time with the fantasy and science fi scenarios and it was great, they had multiple maps and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

The Civ2 build-in mods were wild. in the best possible way. That game delivered a lot of game.

The WW2 scenario was amazing

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Beefeater1980 posted:

Civ2 or 3 had test of time with the fantasy and science fi scenarios and it was great, they had multiple maps and everything.

I have the Civilization Chronicles boxset and it has Civ 2 ToT and all those crazy rear end scenarios. I’d love to play it, sadly, I have no disc drive any longer and even if I did, my understanding is they don’t work for poo poo on newer systems.

I really wish GOG would get Civ 1, 2, and the Test of Time stuff together and working as a bundle.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
The main things I remember from Civ 3:

- Changing leader portraits, as previously mentioned. Caveman Abraham Lincoln: good
- The weird victory and defeat screens where all the AI leaders would insult or suck up to you
- The kickin' rad modern era songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMPUJ3s9-ho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yU3VqAiXvDE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvTWpCJWTK0

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Distant Worlds 2 question. I've just met the local pirates and are paying them protection money. It should only be 375 total, any idea why it's costing me 4,500 / month?

Pand
Apr 1, 2011

Jogi Maldito

375 per month and that's 4500 annual

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Yooper posted:

Distant Worlds 2 question. I've just met the local pirates and are paying them protection money. It should only be 375 total, any idea why it's costing me 4,500 / month?

From the numbers it looks like 375 per month instead of "total". I guess the pirates hoodwinked you with math? :v:

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Yooper posted:

quote:

Please help me budget my empire is dying

quote:

Spend less on tribute to pirates

quote:

No

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Also, considering you're doing a lot of shipbuilding, do you even need to pay those pirates? Is their homebase right next to important poo poo of yours or something?

Because if not, your military should be strong enough to gently caress up their raids.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Libluini posted:

Also, considering you're doing a lot of shipbuilding, do you even need to pay those pirates? Is their homebase right next to important poo poo of yours or something?

Because if not, your military should be strong enough to gently caress up their raids.

Doh, I missed the annual part. It must have amortized it all at once on my screen because I showed -4500 income and was like wut?

Libluini posted:

I'm not sure? Literally my first playthrough.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Yooper posted:

I'm not sure? Literally my first playthrough.

It's only a game, take a chance :) :)

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Consider it cheese or whatever but here is what I do.

I run with no military ships at the start and get research that saves me on maintenance costs, etc to get a bankroll going for some savings.
You can then bribe the pirates the max bribe, which is admittedly substantial, but will make them like you if you haven't been attacking them lately and have paid them for awhile.
You can then drop the monthly protection money and trade with them for research.

Situations like this are why I like distant worlds 2, Stellaris has more compelling writing, but you just have more granular choices with DW2

Oh you can also gain favor with the pirates by helpfully introducing them to your enemies hehehe

You need almost +20 relationship to drop protection so lesser, multiple bribes don't work as well because it fades over time

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 6, 2022

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Double post, whoops

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Oh thank god, the latest DW2-patch finally made it so migration respects the minimum racial suitability. No more tropical species migrating to ice worlds and then being pissed off at the climate. What the gently caress did you expect you stupid gits.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Anyone try the Planetfall mod for Civ IV? It’s a mod that tries to recreate Alpha Centauri in Civ IV’s engine. Is it any good?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

V for Vegas posted:

Civ 3 will always be best Civ because your leader portraits got different outfits for different ages.

My favorite is Montezuma with the darts in Cortez.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

chaosapiant posted:

Anyone try the Planetfall mod for Civ IV? It’s a mod that tries to recreate Alpha Centauri in Civ IV’s engine. Is it any good?

I remember playing a fair bit of it ages ago and it was solid but some elements were half baked, but maybe it got more devtime since then :iiam:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

I quite enjoy it, though be mindful the mod author fell off the face of the earth while the mod was still being worked on and being tweaked so it's a bit messy, but as far as I recall you can play through a full game with any faction just fine.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Caconym posted:

Oh thank god, the latest DW2-patch finally made it so migration respects the minimum racial suitability. No more tropical species migrating to ice worlds and then being pissed off at the climate. What the gently caress did you expect you stupid gits.

Tbf that sounds pretty realistic. I've met many people who moved from Vancouver to like Toronto and wouldn't stop complaining about winter being cold

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

DaysBefore posted:

Tbf that sounds pretty realistic. I've met many people who moved from Vancouver to like Toronto and wouldn't stop complaining about winter being cold

Well yeah, the primary driver for migration (happiness) is mostly determined by tax rate, so I get that people motivated by that alone might not be the best at long-term planning.

"Let's move to Mars, there're hardly any taxes!"
"WTF, this sucks rear end!"

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

OperaMouse posted:

The WW2 scenario was amazing

I played the poo poo out of that one, but the Jules Verne one is the one that has stuck with me the most.

I think there was also a dinosaurs one?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I have a weird question: is there a freeware app or tool or some other means to change your screen resolution when starting a game/program, then change it back when the program is closed? Like a “per application” approach to screen res?

Some games work much better in lower resolutions imo, like Alpha Centauri or Civilization III. Civ 3 looks best in 720p, because you get benefit of widescreen and also the benefit of the game not being micro sized in the UI/text and such.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Civ 3 is weird in that every new idea it had was great: strategic resources, luxury resources, culture, probably other things I forgot; that are now staples in every single 4x game. And those ideas were all implemented well.

Yet somehow playing it was a terrible experience, and I don't know why.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m not a big fan of Civ 3’s UI. It seems unnecessarily tedious to get information.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

chaosapiant posted:

I’m not a big fan of Civ 3’s UI. It seems unnecessarily tedious to get information.

I agree. That's every civ game before mods, though.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

The Human Crouton posted:

I agree. That's every civ game before mods, though.

I’ve heard of mods adding bugs, but Civ 4 players take it to a new level! :v:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I should give civ3 another go

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

kind of enjoying how i can basically make distant worlds 2 play itself with me having veto powers

also enjoying being small stinky rats

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

thanks for whoever reccomended Polytopia for a coffee break 4X, scratches the itch perfectly and im having a ton of fun.

Quick question: is there a setting or mod (im playing on Steam) that lets you know if you have unfinished business before you end the turn? Like a "you haven't moved this unit yet" warning. Or maybe theres an in game way to tell im missing?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kitfox88 posted:

kind of enjoying how i can basically make distant worlds 2 play itself with me having veto powers

also enjoying being small stinky rats

How did you setup your game? What automation settings do you use? I always start pre-warp with all automation turned off, so I can fine tune everything by hand. Once things get rolling, I start automating ships and systems bit by bit. It’s a fantastic game and I can’t wait for some DLC for it.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

God sword of the stars 2 sucks, the mission and fleet system is just idiotic, more fiddly effort for less effect. (Maybe in a different game they could work?) The politics system, whatever is going on with diplomacy, not to mention the game slowing to a crawl if you dont rush everyone down. And the UI ! Sots1 also had a bad UI but it got away with it by being lean and mean, at least until they added trade which in retrospect was a big warning sign for 2

It stinks too, since you've got a really solid combat simulation bolted on to just a miserable time

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

How did you setup your game? What automation settings do you use? I always start pre-warp with all automation turned off, so I can fine tune everything by hand. Once things get rolling, I start automating ships and systems bit by bit. It’s a fantastic game and I can’t wait for some DLC for it.

Manual colonization, research crash programs, military, etc, but auto everything else. I haven't gotten *that* far into a game yet but not needing to manually build mining stations on every decent asteroid and planet is spiffy and it's nice to not need to manually tell poo poo to go fix up derelicts I find or refit when I get a new tech. :toot: I also love the rats' homeworld rear end ship aesthetics, we boxy as gently caress.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

The Chad Jihad posted:

God sword of the stars 2 sucks

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Kitfox88 posted:

Manual colonization, research crash programs, military, etc, but auto everything else. I haven't gotten *that* far into a game yet but not needing to manually build mining stations on every decent asteroid and planet is spiffy and it's nice to not need to manually tell poo poo to go fix up derelicts I find or refit when I get a new tech. :toot: I also love the rats' homeworld rear end ship aesthetics, we boxy as gently caress.
The more you can learn to do manually the better imo, I haven't played in awhile, but for instance, if you have steel right next to your homework and are still on your home planet the game may suggest you build like 20 more when one mining station per world will be fine to keep you supplied.
Now that I'm typing this out I realize I need one of every resource per world (nearer the better) for better efficiency, but auto will bankrupt you with upkeep on your mining stations.

Custom ships and space stations can save you a lot of money (especially your first spaceport) you can make a custom bare minimum one to start out to get one a bit quicker and reap the benefits early.
You can put all the -maintenance cost components on your mining stations and even strip weapons armor or shields off it if you are cool with your local pirates and want to live dangerously.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I had one of my exploration ships go pirate on me when they checked out an abandoned station and something in it made em crack. Was a rude surprise, but not as rude as the next one spreading a psychic mind virus through my small territories and making me spend like a year researching a cure. :argh:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

My first few games I turned off all those events just so I could learn the rope. Those events had a poo poo-ton of pop-ups and items of interest that cluttered my experience.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

In DW2, if I have a colony in a system, and I find a luxury resource on a say lava planet (not my colony) that gives me a colony development boost, do I need to transport it to my colony? I plopped an MS there and it has the luxury resource in the hold - will traders bring it home automatically or do I need to manually set this resource level in the colony?

Resource management in colony currently set to auto.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Corrrct me if I’m wrong, but I though colony boost resources only work if you build a colony on that planet with the resource? It’s one of those nuances I’m not 100% sure about.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

chaosapiant posted:

I have a weird question: is there a freeware app or tool or some other means to change your screen resolution when starting a game/program, then change it back when the program is closed? Like a “per application” approach to screen res?

Some games work much better in lower resolutions imo, like Alpha Centauri or Civilization III. Civ 3 looks best in 720p, because you get benefit of widescreen and also the benefit of the game not being micro sized in the UI/text and such.

I've used https://github.com/Codectory/AutoActions for toggling HDR per-game and it works for that. Supposedly supports resolution switching as well, but haven't tried that, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

chaosapiant posted:

Corrrct me if I’m wrong, but I though colony boost resources only work if you build a colony on that planet with the resource? It’s one of those nuances I’m not 100% sure about.

No, luxury resources work at any colony that has them in store, and they get consumed by the population, so you need a steady supply.
You also earn tariffs from them when they pass trough a starbase with a commercial center, so put those on all spaceports and mining stations.

There's also location specific bonuses from items, buildings or ruins, but those are separate from the luxury resources.