Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
GURM will go out in a manuscript fyre, but Wind of Winter another unfinished prequel will emerge from his ash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
George would always rather go backwards than forwards and we should, with all due respect be glad he's not in charge of the adaptations.

quote:

“I would’ve begun it like 40 years earlier, with an episode I would’ve called ‘The Heir and the Spare,'” Martin said during a YouTube interview. “Jaehaerys’ two sons, Aemon and Baelon, are alive, and we see the friendship but also the rivalry between the two sides of the great house.

“Then Aemon dies accidentally when a Myrish crossbowman shoots him by accident on Tarth, then Jaehaerys has to decide who becomes the new heir. Is it the daughter of the son who’s just died, or the second son who has children of his own and is a man where she’s a teenager?”

He added: “You could’ve presented all that stuff, but then you would’ve had 40 more years, and even more time jumps and re-castings. I was the only one who was really enthused about that.”

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I would have absolutely loved more Jahaerys stuff but I get why that would be too meandering

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That DICK! posted:

I would have absolutely loved more Jahaerys stuff but I get why that would be too meandering

I was gonna say the same thing. When I finished his chapters it really felt like an era had ended. But it wouldn't be the same kind of show as hotd/got.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Learning that GoT was supposed to have a time skip from the thread prompted me to rewatch seasons 4-5 of GoT, and holy poo poo a time skip would have made everything so much better. All of these weirdly rushed plotlines make way more sense, and all of the character development (especially Sansa/Arya) is way more believable.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

That DICK! posted:

An episode where he’s like 55 and fights that 20 year old would be neat

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Watching a scene where Jahaerys and his two sons personally end a war in a single day would've been neat.

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

I was really impressed by the way they wrote the end of the season. The dragons loving around and starting a war is a cool twist, instead of Aemond being a moustache twirling villain. Him getting a quick “oh poo poo” moment at the end makes me want to see if he gets any redemption going forward.

But at the same time, he had seemed really interested in murdering Luke in their meeting a few minutes before. Was that all a bluff? Maybe he is just a dangerous idiot?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
He's first and foremost a teenage boy who has been shown time and time again that there are no real consequences for the actions of royalty.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
It’s like war was started because two aristocratic teenage boys had a drag race on a rainy night and one of theme just couldn’t handle his super car.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
And in the books Baratheon’s daughter that Aemon is there to get engaged to says a very Baratheon thing to egg him on - did Lucerys take your eye or your balls?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Marsupial Ape posted:

It’s like war was started because two aristocratic teenage boys had a drag race on a rainy night and one of theme just couldn’t handle his super car.

Luke spun out at Dead Man's Curve

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

PostNouveau posted:

Luke spun out at Dead Man's Curve

Seriously, though, that's the analogy I've been using to describe it too. Just a couple of teenagers having a pissing contest that ends tragically because they're too young to respect the power of the toys they have access to. If it was a different setting it would have been a street race, but here it's dragons.

Hey, how did Laena get Vhagar in the first place? Can the Velaryons typically bond with dragons too? I thought it was a Targaryen thing.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

velayrons are old blood and all but yeah its kinda weird how chill they were about letting them become the realms second dragon riding family via rhaenys. if luke didn't croak that'd be further reinforced, they coulda had more dragons on team velayron almost immediately!

seems like that should be the best argument against women inheriting in this universe. imagine if rhaenerya had gone along with viserys' plan to marry her off to the lannister, and the lannisters just had fuckin dragons now?

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
A Lannister always pets his dragons

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Oh ffs, inbreeding is a hell of a thing. I forgot she would have Targaryen blood through Rhaenys, she's not just an honorary Targaryen through marriage to Daemon.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Laena and Laenor were just as much Targaryens as they were Velaryons.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

Hey, how did Laena get Vhagar in the first place? Can the Velaryons typically bond with dragons too? I thought it was a Targaryen thing.

They're intermixed with the Targs, and also from Valyria, where there were a bunch of dragon riders.

Game of Thrones does have a lot of poo poo around who has what blood, so I suppose it makes some sense the idea that only Targs or Valyrians can ride dragons. But I've always thought the whole thing had a whiff of self-mythologizing to prop up their own interests.

Like, those guys in the dragonpits can boss the dragons around and give them orders and poo poo. You telling me if one of them climbed on the back of one, the dragon would automatically be like "Ah, no, wrong bloodline, get off me"?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Maybe it’s not magic at all and anyone who is nice to dragons and feeds them and is a good friend can ride them, but nobody in a feudal system is open to that idea?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

But I've always thought the whole thing had a whiff of self-mythologizing to prop up their own interests.

I don't think it's fully explained, but this is part of it. There's a whole religious tenet that the targs forced onto the church that states that they're not normal humans and thus can do incest etc.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Yeah Jaeharys (the old guy in episode one's intro) made unspoken but implicit threats of death by dragon unless the pope gave them the Divine Right to Commit Incest. He also ruled over a time of peace and prosperity so everyone was like 'yeah I guess they can do it, whatever'.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

that pope was pretty new at his job considering his previous 9 predecessors had been gruesomely murdered by the previous king. i'd let him do whatever too

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

I AM GRANDO posted:

Maybe it’s not magic at all and anyone who is nice to dragons and feeds them and is a good friend can ride them, but nobody in a feudal system is open to that idea?

if not friend why friend shaped??

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

That DICK! posted:

that pope was pretty new at his job considering his previous 9 predecessors had been gruesomely murdered by the previous king. i'd let him do whatever too

Was that the pope that after seeing the past half dozen die within like a week just leave for a few years?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Torquemada posted:

if not friend why friend shaped??

It's just knowing how to speak Valyrian and the hair.

One of the dragonpit people is gonna get a mophead and become unstoppable.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Valyrian is just dragon version of "sit!" and "fetch!". You can teach new hatched drgon English in theory.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
How much spice does a Targaryen have to consume before they finally evolve into a dragon?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah Jaeharys (the old guy in episode one's intro) made unspoken but implicit threats of death by dragon unless the pope gave them the Divine Right to Commit Incest. He also ruled over a time of peace and prosperity so everyone was like 'yeah I guess they can do it, whatever'.

the king before him (Maegor) also did most of the dirty work in destroying the faith militant (basically the church's army) which made them much more willing to make comprimises with the crown

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Phenotype posted:

Oh ffs, inbreeding is a hell of a thing. I forgot she would have Targaryen blood through Rhaenys, she's not just an honorary Targaryen through marriage to Daemon.

I was still kinda annoyed at the timeskip about this, I don't know how the book does it but it seems like she went off to find and tame the largest and oldest dragon in the world which is pretty cool and impressive! The show doesn't even really mention it at all.

Then again Aemond does it basically by accident walking down the beach so maybe it wasn't that interesting

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Yeah they probably didn't show it specifically because it would be exactly the same as Aemond's bonding which is more important to the story.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
One of the cut scenes actually does show her claiming the dragon, but it was cut for reasons that we aren't privy to. Before the season aired the whole 10 episodes had their synopsis leaked. The descriptions of the episodes were pretty hilarious because the leaker must have been watching while playing on his phone since he misses obvious details. However, the general summaries were accurate, and included a bunch of scenes that never showed up in the show. That's how we know what was cut.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Showing her bonding with the dragon and then immediately time skip to getting bbq by the dragon would be pretty tonal whiplash.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

stephenthinkpad posted:

Showing her bonding with the dragon and then immediately time skip to getting bbq by the dragon would be pretty tonal whiplash.

It supposedly happened in episode 2, so it was the 12 year old actress that does it. Then her dragon also appears in scenes with her teen roles in a few later episodes before her adult actress gets fried.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 21 hours!)

I'm ambivalent on whether the time skip season experiment was successful. People are talking about wanting to see Jaeherys's reign, and yeah fine I'm sure it would be a cool show, but I think the background context of Viserys and Rhaenys was adequately conveyed in the couple of minutes of screentime and discussion it got. You can fill in the blanks there, don't really NEED to see it all play out and since we didn't get more than a glimpse, I didn't feel the need to.

Thinking about how sketchy and disjointed the charactisations were from one episode to the next - like Alicent going from nice girl to evil ice queen to morally concerned queen, Daemon's personality becoming way more subdued - and also how underdeveloped people like Laena and Harwin Strong were given their fairly huge impact on the main characters' lives, I dunno if it would have been better to just start at episode 6 (with some more context included obviously) and just have all that stuff be in the background that we can imagine the details of. Yeah you can infer the changes in charactisation and imagine Laena and Daemon's relationship too, but including them at all as onscreen characters frustrates me more than just hearing about them after the fact because it's like, well, show me the details if we're doing this. The way it went, I would start getting invested in something and then those characters would be gone, and the remaining people would go through 10 years of development we didn't see.

I liked the season, and Viserys' arc would have suffered the most from starting later, and that was probably the best thing in the season, and there was plenty of good along the way, so I'm not saying the timeskips were a total mistake, just that I'm ambivalent. I look at the season and think, eh. ups and downs. not a total success. I think S2 onwards will be better because they won't have to do this anymore, and I'm mostly happy with the cast and characters as they've ended up even if I don't really feel how they got there.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 7, 2022

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I said it before and I will say it again: they need to pet the dragons

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

I AM GRANDO posted:

stephenthinkpad posted:

Valyrian is just dragon version of "sit!" and "fetch!". You can teach new hatched drgon English in theory.

Yeah it's probably this and the Targs are just those weird people who only teach their German Shepherds commands in actual German.

Tender Bender posted:

I was still kinda annoyed at the timeskip about this, I don't know how the book does it but it seems like she went off to find and tame the largest and oldest dragon in the world which is pretty cool and impressive! The show doesn't even really mention it at all.

Then again Aemond does it basically by accident walking down the beach so maybe it wasn't that interesting

Anonymous Zebra posted:

One of the cut scenes actually does show her claiming the dragon, but it was cut for reasons that we aren't privy to. Before the season aired the whole 10 episodes had their synopsis leaked. The descriptions of the episodes were pretty hilarious because the leaker must have been watching while playing on his phone since he misses obvious details. However, the general summaries were accurate, and included a bunch of scenes that never showed up in the show. That's how we know what was cut.

The showrunners said they cut the scene of her claiming Vhagar because it was too much like the later scene with Aemon, which they had to include. Which is strange because I think she is the first non-Targ dragonrider?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

stephenthinkpad posted:

Idk, the dragon cooks her because it's bonded to her. It clearly doesn't want to, and only does it because she keeps begging it to do so.

In hindsight though it would've been redundant with Aemond's scene. Just at the time it felt jarring, "Okay offscreen she went on a journey to find and tame the largest dragon in the world!" But I felt that way about a lot of timeskipped stuff, and in the end loved this season and the choices they made.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The showrunners said they cut the scene of her claiming Vhagar because it was too much like the later scene with Aemon, which they had to include. Which is strange because I think she is the first non-Targ dragonrider?

She's a targ through Rhaenys.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I said it before and I will say it again: they need to pet the dragons

Daemon pet his dragon and it seems to be one of the most in sync pairs

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah it's probably this and the Targs are just those weird people who only teach their German Shepherds commands in actual German.
Cops do this so people can't give their K9 commands. I didn't realize other folks did this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

LividLiquid posted:

Cops do this so people can't give their K9 commands. I didn't realize other folks did this too.

Maybe they should use French or Italian. Or Navajo.