Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

The ultimate free speech platform once you pay $8/month for free speech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

changing my online handle to elon musk like i'm a war boy spraying chrome on my face right before I enter posting valhalla

WITNESS ME

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Discount Dracula posted:

Identity theft is not a joke Jim!

:hmbol:

Free Speech and Comedy have returned to Twitter everyone! :bravo:

Lmao he's going to lose users just on this poo poo

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

With all these impostors with blue checkmarks suddenly appearing, I think the real Elon should have to post his weird dick. It's the only way to prove his identity and put a stop to the trolls.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tiwtter has 1+ billion downloads on Google play store. Mastodon has +100k. I don't know about this

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Discount Dracula posted:

Identity theft is not a joke Jim!

It is super awkward to watch them shoot the current cow that is Twitter, and then the genuine surprise when the replacement cow has to chew through all the same cud.

Even funnier, this is not exactly going to be a speedrun because they shot the seasoned, veteran cow, and were absolute dicks about it.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Libra posted:

With all these impostors with blue checkmarks suddenly appearing, I think the real Elon should have to post his weird dick. It's the only way to prove his identity and put a stop to the trolls.

Show the longform dick pic, Elon.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

GABA ghoul posted:

Tiwtter has 1+ billion downloads on Google play store. Mastodon has +100k. I don't know about this

The official app is both new and sucks. You'd have to add up a bunch of clients to get an accurate number

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

CharlestheHammer posted:

See the problem that now exists is those celebrities, politicians, etc. have no way to prove they are even on Twitter. So it kind of losss that edge

This whole meltdown over charging for Twitter verification and people being rightfully pissed about it has reminded me of the first time I ever heard of Twitter, which was the kerfuffle around someone stealing the @shaq handle from Shaquille O'Neal back in....late 2008? Maybe 2009?

That all feels so quaint now lol

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

ErrEff posted:

If Muskie runs into problems with payment processors he can probably just buy one.

I work for a credit card processor that works closely with one of Musk's companies and this is becoming a realer sounding scenario every day. The CEO loving loves Musk too of course so I'm sure he'd happily sell to him.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

2nd Amendment posted:

Dear Elon,

I feel like I can call you Elon because you and me are so alike. I'd like to meet you one day, it would be great to program some scripts. I know I can't compile as fast as you but I think you'd be impressed with my speed. I love your hair, you move fast and break things. Did you have a good relationship with your father? Me neither. These are all things we can talk about and more. I know you have no been getting my letters because I know you would write back if you did. I hope you write back this time, and we can become good friends. I am sure our relationship would be a real rocket to Mars!

Oh poo poo there are stickers, my god

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

DrPossum posted:

digg failed much like this (lots of sudden, buggy change with no enduser input) and was pretty spectacular. it gave rise to reddit

I always used to think that we didn't give rise to reddit. It was more like 4 chan huh. Christ.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

C-Euro posted:

This whole meltdown over charging for Twitter verification and people being rightfully pissed about it has reminded me of the first time I ever heard of Twitter, which was the kerfuffle around someone stealing the @shaq handle from Shaquille O'Neal back in....late 2008? Maybe 2009?

That all feels so quaint now lol

Oh wow, it's been around since 2006. I thought it was much more recent than that, I only bothered to get an account a decade later.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

explosivo posted:

I work for a credit card processor that works closely with one of Musk's companies and this is becoming a realer sounding scenario every day. The CEO loving loves Musk too of course so I'm sure he'd happily sell to him.

There was a tweet on the FFXIV thread explaining an unpopular change to gift purchasing, and the main takeaway is that there are three big CC processor companies in the world and they are pretty cooperative enough such that if one decides to blacklist you, then the other two will follow suit.

I imagine that if a CC dispute results in Elon buying one of these three for the sole purpose of saying that his companies are the exception would probably ruin that relationship pretty quickly (and also expose Musk to some pretty wild liability)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

I Greyhound posted:

I'm rooting for this outcome as the most hilarious of all. Before the sale I would have never considered it as a possibility, but with the last week, I'm coming around to it:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LordLicoriceDrp/status/1589045643783581697

Aaaaaaaahahahahaha

let the certificates lapse elon, people will just click through the giant warning saying not to click through

that might drive a few folks off

e. and yeah there is very, very little chance they do an update like that within a month or so to all the servers they'd need to. Granted I work at a sane place, but something like rolling to a new certificate would be a gradual, we do this at night and we get people on the phone to verify stuff came back up thing, done over weeks / months. Elon's gonna call up a consulting firm and say "I need the cheapest resource possible who knows how to manage certificates. no I don't know what kind of certificate. $10k an hour? Ha, I would've paid double. I am smarter than you, and thus will do business with you."

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 6, 2022

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Stoatbringer posted:

My wife doesn't use twitter and when I explained how the blue verification checkmark works and what it's for, and the stupid changes Musk is making, she said, "Yeah, but isn't he notoriously stupid?".
In my very limited circles, Musk seems to be either revered or reviled.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

The alternative sites are "twitter but different" because you couldn't pry people away from twitter by offering the same experience.

Now that twitter isn't twitter anymore someone will just create a new twitter.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Elon will just sit in his zero-G coding chair and code out a payment processor that uses your Tesla as a proof of ID token. Bing bazong

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Spoke to some guys at work and while everyone had a mental image of a competent business leader they were surprised enough by the mass firings that they didn't push back when I explained that he's actually an extremely rich moron.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

Aaaaaaaahahahahaha

let the certificates lapse elon, people will just click through the giant warning saying not to click through

e. and yeah there is very, very little chance they do an update like that within a month or so to all the servers they'd need to. Granted I work at a sane place, but something like rolling to a new certificate would be a gradual, we do this at night and we get people on the phone to verify stuff came back up thing, done over weeks / months. Elon's gonna call up a consulting firm and say "I need the cheapest resource possible who knows how to manage certificates. no I don't know what kind of certificate. $10k an hour? Ha, I would've paid double. I am smarter than you, and thus will do business with you."

If he did actually fire people based on amount of lines committed, odds are there are only developers left and no ops people to handle this sort of thing.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Elon will just sit in his zero-G coding chair and code out a payment processor that uses your Tesla as a proof of ID token. Bing bazong

I mean he could easily do it. According to Lisa Simpson he's the world's greatest living inventor after all.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

They even praised him on the Simpsons? I stopped watching that more than a decade ago but I'm still surprised the writers are this poo poo.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

afkmacro posted:

If he did actually fire people based on amount of lines committed, odds are there are only developers left and no ops people to handle this sort of thing.

Oh boy I love making developers handle ops and IT work

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

afkmacro posted:

yep.

and like, installing a self signed cert on a dev machine is a slightly different thing than rolling a new certificate out to the production servers

but y'know, Elon? I have faith in your overworked underpaid staff too. let them do it. let the developers make the update to production. :)

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
DEVELOPERS

Seize the means of production!!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Jealous of the people around the offices / data centers, the local thrift stores are going to see some sick hardware soon

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

iirc when he was on rick and morty the most critical thing they said about him was that he was overdemanding or something

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I have no doubt in my mind that Ol' Musky figured he could just shitcan Twitter's existing staff with zero repercussions, and that the best and brightest of the IT world would be lining up for miles to come work for a true genius like him. And he'll probably still be thinking that's going to happen when the poo poo hits the fan this coming Monday.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm pretty sure this is the first time I heard about Twitter

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I hope the elections take down Twitter

Just like, cause the servers to seize up

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

poo poo, where's Twitter HQ? I'll take a drive out there just to pick up some nice rackmount gear. I've got an IKEA nearby, I can build a LACK RACK.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

Aaaaaaaahahahahaha

Certificate chains is one of those things that I can absolutely see Elon thinking is stupid and for which there has to be a simpler solution that hasn't been developed yet out of laziness. There is a non-zero chance that he does something stupid like publicly calling for Brave (Who's userbase is mostly Musk Stans) to blindly accept self-signed certificates, since one of his team will deliver Secure Self-Signed Certificates™ (SSSC™) any day now.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I'm pretty sure this is the first time I heard about Twitter

me too :/

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

By popular demand posted:

They even praised him on the Simpsons? I stopped watching that more than a decade ago but I'm still surprised the writers are this poo poo.

He basically commissioned an episode about how cool and smart he is as far as I have seen of it.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=YLU0Qp4sOiQ

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

gently caress I ain't watching that.
I just don't hate myself this much.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfiRd4Y5z_g&t=32s

Cringe even by marvel movie standards

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Man I really hope musk doesn’t show up on the revived futurama as a head in a jar (he definitely will)

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

By popular demand posted:

gently caress I ain't watching that.
I just don't hate myself this much.

You don't want to hear Homer saying "brace yourselves, we're about to meet a being with far greater intelligence than us ..." and then bow in worship?? why not

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

priznat posted:

Man I really hope musk doesn’t show up on the revived futurama as a head in a jar (he definitely will)

I doubt that now. He's fast becoming a laughing stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

FlocksOfMice posted:

You don't want to hear Homer saying "brace yourselves, we're about to meet a being with far greater intelligence than us ..." and then bow in worship?? why not

I have an academic interest in it (How in the hell did this man manage to cultivate a rep as a far-seeing philosopher king supergenius when he is so loving bad at communication?) but not enough to click through.