Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I wish my nuts were pea sized :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Another Bill posted:

I wish my nuts were pea sized :(

Imagine how often you'd have to pee though

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

priznat posted:

Oh and on top of all that they figure musk has probably shaved about $100billion off his net worth, lol.
Yeah but he's a big brain genius and will surely make it back selling eight dollar cabron credits to rubes on twitter

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
The past few days on Twitter, my feed has been absolutely overwhelmed with ads. Literally every couple of tweets are bookended by ads. It’s like swimming in a cesspool, then someone diverted the flow of a sewerage line into it for maximum poo poo concentration.

Mastadon may not be a Twitter-slayer, but it ain’t bad if you know what you’re looking for. In case anyone is wondering, there’s 3 types of “feed” views: local, which is people you follow & those they boost (retweet). Server is self-explanatory & universal is the collected servers.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

priznat posted:

I was listening to the Opening Arguments podcast this morning and they were talking about how bad musk has tanked tesla’s stock to buy a lovely vastly overpriced company that he won’t be able to make the debt payments on and it is just amazing to have all the incredible fuckups laid out so succinctly.

Tesla stock is down more than 30% and almost surely there will be a big shareholder lawsuit to address musk’s dumbfuckery. It’s almost a completely own goal fuckup.

Oh and on top of all that they figure musk has probably shaved about $100billion off his net worth, lol.

Seconding this, it's an interesting listen.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

an actual frog posted:

cabron credits

luckily, elom has an infinite supply of these

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

nexous posted:

I didn’t even know twitter had ads because I only ever see twitter through embeds

Oh no I fear elon just got an idea

I'd be all for twitter embeds dying so I wouldn't ahve to look at this poo poo

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

goons whining about twitter embeds is way more annoying than any twitter embed

go outside and yell at clouds already

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Waffle House posted:

I think SomethingAwful is the internet's best peanut gallery.

:hmmyes:

Is there anything even close?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

the twitter embeds are definitely more annoying than the complaints but the good news is they may not be around for long

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

kazil posted:

goons whining about twitter embeds is way more annoying than any twitter embed

go outside and yell at clouds already

thats my day job, bud

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the embeds don't show ads, so twitter isn't earning anything from them unless you click them. i guess they count toward some kind of readership metric, but not the kind that generates any revenue. the few hundred people seeing a twitter embed on this forum are meaningless.

isn't there a user setting to disable them, anyway? or is that just for youtube?

e: looks like there isn't, maybe drop by the feedback forum and suggest it if they're ruining your forums experience

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t get the problem with Embeds? Like who cares?

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Bad Purchase posted:

the embeds don't show ads, so twitter isn't earning anything from them unless you click them. i guess they count toward some kind of readership metric, but not the kind that generates any revenue. the few hundred people seeing a twitter embed on this forum are meaningless.

isn't there a user setting to disable them, anyway? or is that just for youtube?

e: looks like there isn't, maybe drop by the feedback forum and suggest it if they're ruining your forums experience

Disconnect browser extension will prevent them from loading. I’m sure there are others.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Twit embeds on these gaily dead forums is the closest I ever get to that musky shithole.

NYT is reporting the $8 checks won’t come until after midterms.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Mal-3 posted:

There's plenty of rich techbro failsons out there who don't have the same reputation, though. Zuckerberg's just as poo poo at talking to people as Musk and he constantly gets poo poo on as a malfunctioning robot or a lizardman who's disguise is slipping.

I just... I don't get it. Why is this guy who can't get through his own tame press events without stumbling awkwardly like a terrified kid in the middle of their first school play treated like he's the modern Aristotle?

He had a very good PR team and more importantly the image he projected to nerds was: I'm what you would be if you were rich. He talked openly about playing video games and anime, got into industries that nerds really wanted like self-driving cars and space travel and posted memes instead of sterile PR statements. This made nerds identfy with him and defend him so ferociously even when he was being a huge dumbass because he's them!!!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
i am amazed people who constantly use the internet still dont have an ad blocker

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica

Professor Wayne posted:

Oh poo poo there are stickers, my god

Those aren't stickers, those are NFTs.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I think anyone who has read the literary masterpiece Anathem by Neal Stephenson would say we are starting the bogon era of the reticulum. All thanks to musks twitter

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

So did Elon get people like Janitors and Market research people and get mad when they didn't bring him all the code they were supposed to do?

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Tiny Timbs posted:

the twitter embeds are definitely more annoying than the complaints but the good news is they may not be around for long

I imagine the way we'll know Twitter is stone-cold dead is when Apple issues an update that removes the embeds in iMessage.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Strong Sauce posted:

first review you see in the app store for twitter

ty elon.

I think "alittle" might just be even more annoying than "alot".

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

DrPossum posted:

:hmmyes:

Is there anything even close?

No, not for miles. It's generally polite, hivemind-resistant, individuals all have a spine to a point where slapfights constantly fill the mod police blotter, comedy-adherent, extremely picky just before the elitism point, and most importantly identity coherent.

I have had a complete mental and nervous breakdown on these forums as a result of emotional withdrawl during and after an abusive relationship, and as I got better, people were just like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "happens, welcome back goon"

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I decided to try out Mastodon after hearing about it and I have no clue how it works

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Big Scary Owl posted:

I decided to try out Mastodon after hearing about it and I have no clue how it works

Lol yeah I’m relatively tech aware and I just read a blurb about it and think “god that sounds like a headache” and don’t bother with that.

I get all my social networking from these fine forums.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

priznat posted:

Lol yeah I’m relatively tech aware and I just read a blurb about it and think “god that sounds like a headache” and don’t bother with that.

I get all my social networking from these fine forums.

SA has everything, really. Stupid arguments, moronic clout chasing, and if I ever feel the need to see some slurs, I'll just look at the code

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Big Scary Owl posted:

You just click the album on Spotify and start headbanging, I don't know what's so hard about it

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

The only thing SA is missing is decent external formatting. Like how you can quote a tweet here and it parses beautifully; the only thing that does that is Imgur and Twitter. Even Facebook requires screenshotting.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Blarghalt posted:

SA has everything, really. Stupid arguments, moronic clout chasing, and if I ever feel the need to see some slurs, I'll just look at the code

Just needs post like counters for that dopamine hit! (God I am kidding never ever add this)

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Big Scary Owl posted:

I found one decently-sized name from my old twitter circle and I'm just going through follower/follow trees and re-creating the twitter community. It's not too difficult, although depending on which server I live on vs the person I want to follow the procedure for following seems to either be "click the follow button and give your account name" or "copy this in the search bar on your profile and click on the follow button there".

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Waffle House posted:

No, not for miles. It's generally polite, hivemind-resistant, individuals all have a spine to a point where slapfights constantly fill the mod police blotter, comedy-adherent, extremely picky just before the elitism point, and most importantly identity coherent.

I have had a complete mental and nervous breakdown on these forums as a result of emotional withdrawl during and after an abusive relationship, and as I got better, people were just like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ "happens, welcome back goon"

your old av always made me happy

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022

Azhais posted:

You just click the album on Spotify and start headbanging, I don't know what's so hard about it

My friends keep nagging me about the lore though. Something about a whale and poo poo. The gently caress are “song lyrics” you nerds

Bitcoin Magnate
Nov 6, 2022

by Azathoth
Beep

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 6, 2022

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Big Scary Owl posted:

did you make a toot?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I found one decently-sized name from my old twitter circle and I'm just going through follower/follow trees and re-creating the twitter community. It's not too difficult, although depending on which server I live on vs the person I want to follow the procedure for following seems to either be "click the follow button and give your account name" or "copy this in the search bar on your profile and click on the follow button there".

I made an account on fosstodon and I thought I could go between servers like discord but apparently you can't? It's weird and obtuse

DrPossum posted:

did you make a toot?

I did :toot:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Blarghalt posted:

I'm personally here for the free food and the blowjobs.
I'll be eligible any day now!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Big Scary Owl posted:

Main thing is to pick your "instance" (think of it like your server). Once you're on an instance you can see everything on the network.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

wtf is a Mastodon “server”

Is it like twitter but only with the other 15 people playing Quake with you?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Big Scary Owl posted:

I managed to get one set up using "mastodon.online" but I am not following anybody and it's literally just an empty timeline. I see "#worlderies" was trending over the past two days with 31 people and that does not bode well when it comes to general discussion about things I'm interested in. I also noticed that I have to remember which server I signed up under and go to "mastodon.online" to log in because trying to sign in at "mastodon.social" won't work because I have no account there and it doesn't seem to point me towards where to sign in at. I had to reference the setup email a few times to remind myself which server I signed up under. People say it doesn't matter which one you sign up under because everything's still connected but my "local" timeline is totally blank so :shrug:

Really, I think getting a SA server for it would probably be the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Tiny Timbs posted:

wtf is a Mastodon “server”

Is it like twitter but only with the other 15 people playing Quake with you?

it's like your geocities neighborhood