Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

That's a hell of a broker fee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

You are the only DevOps engineer who has ever deployed the Blue Checkmark Pipeline, consequently you are also the only person from your team who knows the URL to the Jenkins server and knows which jobs need to be executed on the Jenkins server because people randomly just copied older jobs and left them on there because "it's not like half of us are going to get fired overnight so someone will always know which ones are the unused jobs"

Keep in mind there is a small % likelihood that someone who's still there realizes that there's another fired employee who handled the IT that setup the URL for the Jenkins servers and an intern you taught a couple times which jobs to run to get the Blue Checkmark Pipeline executed. The intern left for another team so they don't remember the URL but if they type in "jenkins" into their URL bar it will autocomplete. So there is an element of risk that you will get undercut.

How much money do you ask for to go back and fix this issue?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Strong Sauce posted:

You are the only DevOps engineer who has ever deployed the Blue Checkmark Pipeline, consequently you are also the only person from your team who knows the URL to the Jenkins server and knows which jobs need to be executed on the Jenkins server because people randomly just copied older jobs and left them on there because "it's not like half of us are going to get fired overnight so someone will always know which ones are the unused jobs"

Keep in mind there is a small % likelihood that someone who's still there realizes that there's another fired employee who handled the IT that setup the URL for the Jenkins servers and an intern you taught a couple times which jobs to run to get the Blue Checkmark Pipeline executed. The intern left for another team so they don't remember the URL but if they type in "jenkins" into their URL bar it will autocomplete. So there is an element of risk that you will get undercut.

It's Elon, 69,000,000

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

pixaal posted:

It's Elon, 69,000,000

This is just leaving $420,000 on the table

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Do you think musk believes that firing everyone and then offering to perhaps hire people back means that he is the one holding the cards in this negotiation? I honestly wonder if he’s a big enough idiot to think that this is a power move that would force people back on his terms.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
I want to suggest starting a rumor that there will be an attack from [nation state and/or political party of choice] planned to happen before Christmas where Twitter will be forced taken offline.

nexous posted:

idk our company had 1 guy quit and nobody knew how to get our code signing certificate updated. I work for a huge corporation, not a small business

I imagine the knowledge loss that twitter just incurred is unimaginable to the point of being irreparable.

At least I hope

I worked on the DoD cards so fully understood

1) how complex their use cases are. It's used for more than document signing, that's for God drat sure.
2) all the stupid openssl tricks you could pull to make certificates do the dumbest poo poo/put them in the dumbest devices where you think they shouldn't go.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Mr Teatime posted:

Do you think musk believes that firing everyone and then offering to perhaps hire people back means that he is the one holding the cards in this negotiation? I honestly wonder if he’s a big enough idiot to think that this is a power move that would force people back on his terms.

Of course he does, he's an egomaniac who thinks those people are both desperate for a job, and ecstatic at the possibility of getting a second chance to sleep on a conference room floor for him

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Musk will be all "well well well, look who came crawling back" totally ignoring the fact it was him begging after accidently laying off the important people.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hardcastlemccormik
Jul 19, 2022
I’m honestly shocked that Elmo would sign off on letting them bring anyone back since it gives even the slightest impression that the wrong decisions may have been made since if there’s anything bad management is allergic to, it’s letting even the outline of fault to appear at any time

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

:hmmyes: :hmmyes: :hmmyes:

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

We all knew it would be, until now we could only dream of such a thing.

We're finally living the dream.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

I’m honestly shocked that Elmo would sign off on letting them bring anyone back since it gives even the slightest impression that the wrong decisions may have been made since if there’s anything bad management is allergic to, it’s letting even the outline of fault to appear at any time

Elmo isn't typical management. He's a starfucker who literally paid his way into becoming a star. Even negative attention is good attention to that type.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

It's just absolutely loving amazing that nobody stopped to consider who was actually needed before just arbitrarily firing 50% of the workforce. Like it doesn't feel real that anyone would be that loving stupid.

he needs a billion dollars in savings so he can make his absolutely insane debt service payments. Revenue is of course static and will not go down at all if for example the people who sell adspace or do PR for the Japanese markets or maintain the actual website just disappear.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Musk desperately needs revenue and I guarantee you he’s only delaying the twitter blue thing because it just would not work on time

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
how long until twitter payroll checks start bouncing?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Strong Sauce posted:

call the intern and form a cartel.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

free speech is when your speech gets buried unless you give elon musk 8 dollars

https://twitter.com/MaxWinebach/status/1588957977410940928

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

elon: fire 50% of the company
managers: okay it'll take us a while but we can get you the list within the month
elon: do it by friday
managers: elon, i mean, lord elon, today is wednesday
elon: just find out how many lines of code they wrote in the last 30 days then sort them and fire the bottom half of that list.
managers: elon we told the interns last week to rename over 1000 files that will credit them with over 100000 lines of code they didn't write
elon: sorry i'm not listening anymore someone just posted a dank meme and i need to spend some time cutting off their watermark to claim credit.

I made it to senior level administration of a HOI4 mod despite having like, ten actual PR submissions, because I did difficult high-quality work for specific projects.
Musk would have fired me but kept the guy that added new rail lines.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hector Delgado posted:

Musk will be all "well well well, look who came crawling back" totally ignoring the fact it was him begging after accidently laying off the important people.

Lmao this is the kind of Tim & Eric tier writing that we are sentenced to live out in this timeline

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Look, I know you have bills to pay and children to feed, but anyone who can, please tell mister Musk to go gently caress himself

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SRQ posted:

I made it to senior level administration of a HOI4 mod despite having like, ten actual PR submissions, because I did difficult high-quality work for specific projects.
Musk would have fired me but kept the guy that added new rail lines.

As I recounted in the trumplol thread earlier, a couple weeks ago I spent four consecutive sleepless nights debugging an esoteric and transient production issue that was costing the company hundreds of thousands of dollars and that the contractor team had already spent fruitless weeks tracking down, and finally I was able to solve it by adding self._init_params() to a single file of code

In Muskworld I'd be out on my rear end for lack of productivity

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The thing I find hilarious is twitter already had a subscription service and no one cared. Now it's apparantly blue tick verification for money as a subscription service and all the chuds can't wait to sign up for it.

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
If you can make it so buying something Owns the Libs then you can make a significant amount of money off it, as can be seen from a million terrible chud businesses

Unfortunately that's only a significant amount of money to chumps like me, on the scale Elon needs to be making money to turn twitter around it's actually pure business poison so lol

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

It gets better:

https://twitter.com/rakyll/status/1589350822051459073

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Victory Lap posted:

If you can make it so buying something Owns the Libs then you can make a significant amount of money off it, as can be seen from a million terrible chud businesses

Unfortunately that's only a significant amount of money to chumps like me, on the scale Elon needs to be making money to turn twitter around it's actually pure business poison so lol

freedom of speech for only $7.99 a month

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Crap, quote isn't edit.

Anyways - why do you hate free speech, Mr. Musk?

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1589390597798125568

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Strong Sauce posted:

All of the money.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

please stop making fun of elon musk

e:fb

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Crap, quote isn't edit.

breaking out the permas

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

IBroughttheFunk posted:

Crap, quote isn't edit.

Oh wow, this one's real lmao

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

https://nitter.net
https://nitter.net/about
https://github.com/zedeus/nitter/wiki/Instances

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
If only there were some vetting process that could be used to clearly identify the real account and set it apart from the impersonators

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I DID TOO THINK THIS THROUGH *stamps foot*

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The blood test scene from The Thing except it's all younger balding Elons

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Fun watching Elon doing the Lowtax 1999 speed run.

All this poo poo was solved years ago but welp here we are.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Have already been making great use of Nitter. Logged out of Twitter to go on a bit of a social media break in general, before all this started, but it's nice to be able to check in on specific people I follow without the added bloat of...the rest of Twitter.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

keep posting through it, buddy. keep doing leadership. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
The EU has its own Mastodon instance now

https://social.network.europa.eu/public