Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Sundae posted:

A coworker of mine here in SF literally flew to Portland to go to Voodoo Donuts, back in like 2016 or 2017. Presumably she did other stuff too, but that was the part she kept telling us about.

I won't walk ten minutes out of my way for a donut, while some people will apparently deal with airport security for them. :wtc:

Portland has an amazing food scene but when I tried Voodoo it felt a like a tourist trap. Adding cayenne pepper or Cap’n Crunch to donuts with no concern for taste only for novelty. Dunno if it’s gotten better as that was like 5 years ago but not a recommend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

And you'll be pumped to see there's exactly one of your favorite flavor left so you slam that $4.50 button, wait for your donut to be brought out on a plate and take a quick selfie before chowing down (there are QR codes at each table which launch Instagram w/ front-facing camera active and auto-tag the business in the post)

Wow I really hate this. Glad they’re failing

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Portland has an amazing food scene but when I tried Voodoo it felt a like a tourist trap. Adding cayenne pepper or Cap’n Crunch to donuts with no concern for taste only for novelty. Dunno if it’s gotten better as that was like 5 years ago but not a recommend.

It was a 24 hour donut place near bars where drunk people would go and be like hell yeah I want fruit loops on a maple bar that got trendy, and has leaned into their notoriety.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That's what I was gonna say. I went there when I was in Portland for a conference and it seemed like the kind of place the locals would never go. Like, I'll just go somewhere with a regular Boston cream any day over that.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

aunt jenkins posted:

This would have been a good post a few years ago but Blue Star went bankrupt, closed many of their locations, and now does most of their business in grocery stores.

You know, like several people here suggested, and would make sense, if you weren't mostly just looking for a problem you could use your empty building as a solution to.

Oh heh, I was going to be impressed it was still going because I remember going there in 2015 or so.

My favorite donut place in denver is run by this couple that makes absolutely incredible donuts.

Apparently the model is that some rich guy fronts the money to build a donut shop and lets the “owners” run it, who then have the option of buying it out, presumably when he’s remade his money?

Opening up five new locations apparently. The owners of the place I go to aren’t thrilled.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 6, 2022

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

I like plain cake donuts

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Blue Star is expanding again after its COVID crises? That owns. Last I heard they had just barely managed to tell their landlord (Portland's equivalent of a Rockefeller) to gently caress off & had dismissed a frivolous suit where they wanted Blue Star's covid relief $$$

You love to see the little guy win!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Just looked up one of our local 3 location chains and they are advertising national shipping on Goldbelly

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Yeah that's an interesting problem too... OP might be the only luxury donut stop in town but they're competing against established brands on platforms like GB that can reach across the globe

It's tough to "fail" since there's no rent and you can value your time at $0 but it'll be a lotta blood sweat and tears that turn Rationale Donuts into a household name

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It's tough to "fail" since there's no rent and you can value your time at $0 but it'll be a lotta blood sweat and tears that turn Rationale Donuts into a household name

The building is valueless, and it would almost definitely be cheaper to demolish it and put up a new metal building. From what has been revealed so far it sounds like there is no way to put a legal commercial kitchen and storefront in that location for under $200k.

So I'd say not having a pad site lease but also not making it into the black within the first 6 or so years absolutely counts as failing.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
So I’m planning for the business to pay for itself in the first year and pay me in the second year and then the whole family after that.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Rationale posted:

So I’m planning for the business to pay for itself in the first year and pay me in the second year and then the whole family after that.

That's what the business plan says.

code:
Year 1: sell enough donuts to earn enough profit to pay for business.
Year 2: sell enough donuts to earn enough profit to pay for business and Rationale.
Year 3: sell enough donuts to earn enough profit to pay for business, Rational, and family.
Year 4+: sell enough donuts to earn enough profit to continue exponential growth

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Rationale posted:

Why doesn’t every business just do this instead of the owners going bankrupt?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Could the donut shop have an $8 per month subscription that gave you the ability to skip to the front of the line?

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

lobsterminator posted:

Could the donut shop have an $8 per month subscription that gave you the ability to skip to the front of the line?

Like some kind of verification thing, hmm, interesting

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Rudager posted:

Why doesn’t every business just do this instead of the owners going bankrupt?

Bing bong so simple

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Tried voodoo donuts at universal studios. Very not impressed.

OP what about selling cider mill donuts and cider in the fall? Those are kick rear end, and the only people that don’t like them are communists.

Or sell them all year long because they’re loving delicious.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

lobsterminator posted:

OP's av would be the perfect badge for this

Verified Donut Liker

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

lobsterminator posted:

Honestly I think some sort of subscription service would kick rear end for drawing customers in because if you’re getting a “free” coffee any time you pull up you’ll convince your friends to come along if you can

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

So you want to give away your highest margin product to your regular customers? That doesn't feel like a winning strategy.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Give away as in sell as a service. If they pay at the beginning of the month and they can save $10 by coming every day they’re not gonna come alone every time, are they?

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Rationale posted:

Give away as in sell as a service. If they pay at the beginning of the month and they can save $10 by coming every day they’re not gonna come alone every time, are they?

Are you sure about that? If someone’s enough of a regular to pay a subscription, I imagine them swinging by on the way to work.

Your vision of it is obviously different, which is why some sort of analysis might help figure out whether that’s correct or not.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Tetramin posted:

Are you sure about that? If someone’s enough of a regular to pay a subscription, I imagine them swinging by on the way to work.

Your vision of it is obviously different, which is why some sort of analysis might help figure out whether that’s correct or not.

No that would be naysaying. He’s not building a donut shop in horseville.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Rationale posted:

Rationale posted:

you’re getting a “free” coffee any time you pull up

These two concepts are at odds with each other.

I mean really the first one is the most ambitious and most unspecific business plan I've ever seen, but hey maybe you can sell a morning coffee subscription service well enough that people spend several hundred thousand dollars on donuts from you in your first year. And then a half million the next year.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
200k/yr is about $550/day which is about the profit in forty dozen donuts.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Rationale posted:

My bigpeeler business plan consisting of "win the lottery" is objectively better than yours, because it will only take me a day to fail and I can only lose $2.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Rationale posted:

Oh just casually selling 480 donuts a day on average within months of opening, easy…..

That’s literally selling a donut, on average, every minute if you’re open for 8 hours a day.

Sure plenty of people will buy multiple at once, but if it’s just you, just think for a second, how long does it take you to serve one customer? Now ask yourself how much spare time would you have to make the donuts if you had to serve say 300 customers a day to sell those 480 donuts? And they’re not just getting a donut, there’s coffee too.

Now because you’ve realised there’s no time to make and serve customers at the same time at that rate you’ll need help so there goes a huge chunk of that 200k in paying staff.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Rationale posted:

Let's do that math together, you're saying that selling 480 donuts will net you $550 per day pure profit after materials, labor, insurance, accounting, utilities, etc which you can then use to cover the costs of a full renovation and all the durable goods needed just to get your business to the point where you can legally open your doors on day one.

Are you planning on charging $6 per donut?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

brueggers used to do a bottomless mug club, it was idk $300 a year for unlimited coffee. pretty nice.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Give away the high profit margin item so people will come in and buy your loss leader product? Bro did the pages of your business plan stick together

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Okay so coffee cards god drat I still gotta build the bitch out

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Give away the high profit margin item so people will come in and buy your loss leader product? Bro did the pages of your business plan stick together

Right, but when you scale those losses up with volume, what do you get?

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

OP doesn't need a business plan, I think he's made it clear that he's got everything figured out on the back of some envelopes and a couple napkins shoved into his jacket pocket

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Literally haven’t written anything outside of this thread

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
In fact, you've been writing many large checks.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Rationale posted:

Literally haven’t written anything outside of this thread

Thats worse.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Powerful Katrinka posted:

OP doesn't need a business plan, I think he's made it clear that he's got everything figured out on the back of some envelopes and a couple napkins shoved into his jacket pocket

I was going to say this is far to generous but OP beat me to it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

knowing if you want to be a for-profit or non-profit is technically a step of a business plan

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

OP, you briefly mentioned counting cars passing the location. Have you done this yet? I saw that you got some traffic statistics, but it would probably be a good idea to actually do this to see the real traffic numbers. Maybe set up a video camera inside the location pointed at the road and recording during the time you expect to be your business hours. (So you can then watch on fast-forward and get the counting done more quickly.) Be sure to only count each car once. The traffic statistics will count one car going down the road four times during the day four as different trips down the road, but that's still only one potential customer for you. What times of the day are the busiest? What are the slowest? What types of cars are passing by the location (new cars that look to be owned by people with expendable income? old beaters whose drivers may not be able to afford coffee once a week?)

This is what a friend of mine did before opening his cafe, and he said it was extremely helpful to get a better idea of what hours he needed to be open and the kind of customer traffic he could expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Rationale posted:

So I’m planning for the business to pay for itself in the first year

i jumped into the last page of this thread without reading the rest, i'm assuming the first 20 pages are op saying these kinds of things and everybody laughing?