Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Majorian posted:

Given how crazy this war has been so far I fully, 100% believe this.

What can I say, war is hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

cannot believe an entire russian regiment was anal vored

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
it's more likely than you think

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
https://twitter.com/WarMonitor3/status/1588889891194408960

lol this is another propaganda guy

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

KomradeX posted:

The state of the digging in as we saw during the summer wasn't good. I think a more plausible explanation for the summer stalemate was there just not being enough troops to go around for these assults.and they had advanced to the point where they had a whole front manned by glorified cops. Ukraine with a larger military and endless supply from NATO wasn't able stop the Russians till they had advanced to the point that the ground they had couldn't be covered by their own forces. I do not think the Ukrianians are as tough or as good as the propaganda wants you to think. Epspecially if Karkov blew through the last of their reserves and their back to using 40 year old NATO APCs for assaults because all their IFVs got blown up.

I agree that the state of the digging that we saw during the summer wasn't good, but there was also considerably less time to dig in between February and June than there will be between now and next June. NATO supplies to Ukraine at the time weren't exactly "unlimited," either; supplies and equipment were slow to arrive for quite a while. So far I've heard a lot of talk about reserves being depleted after the Kharkiv offensive, but I haven't seen much in the way of conclusive evidence that that is the case. So far it strikes me as wishful thinking.

Literally every source we post itt is propaganda.

Tankbuster posted:

What can I say, war is hell.

Or heaven, depending on your preferences.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Majorian posted:

Sounds like the problem is posting sources

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Sounds like the problem is posting sources

Nah, I just think everyone should operate under the assumption that we're taking each and every one of these reports with at least a grain, if not a mountain, of salt.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Majorian posted:

Oh word?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I'm afraid so.

e: Wagner Group has reportedly made it into the city of Artemovsk:
https://twitter.com/DariusYemelian/status/1589378842292256768

e2: I'm not sure if they're talking about Artemovsk in Luhansk or Bakhmut itself, which used to be called Artemovsk. I'll see if I can find out.

e3: The claim I'm seeing going around twitter is that it's Bakhmut itself, but not much in the way of actual confirmation.

Majorian has issued a correction as of 23:19 on Nov 6, 2022

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Posting is propaganda, you will all just have to live with it.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I don’t think the Ukrainians spent the last of their reserves on Kharkov but at the same time I don’t know how robust they are at the moment either especially in terms of equipment. Kherson has been a huge sink of men and materials and it really didn’t pay off and they are probably going to have to spread out the reserves they have more evenly across the country.

Also, it really isn’t campaigning season at the moment but eventually the ground will harden with the first snows in the north.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I was led to believe the Russian army is incapable of operating in snow though

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
At this point, it seems likely that father wear and tear has knocked out more HIMARS launchers than Russian targeting, and Russian forces have yet to post one image or video of HIMARS getting hit, though a few decoys have been hit and some trucks were mislabeled as HIMARS.

However, no real accounting for how many GMLRS have been or have not been destroyed in warehouses left of launch. The launchers individually matter less than the ammo supply and rate of resupply.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/AKamyshin/status/1589353970283446272?s=20&t=zTSTcAoCKMRoWmYpGkqLRQ

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i support all locomotives

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wonder what the efficiency difference is between a steam loco and a diesel, let me check...

.... I'm sure it'll be fine

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

lobster shirt posted:

i support all locomotives

:hai:

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

i dont. they're all crazy. you dont know what motivates them

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I am immune to Propaganda

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Majorian posted:

you need a healthy dose of media literacy methinks

speng31b
May 8, 2010

if u think about it if everything is propaganda nothing is propaganda (please dont check how many times per minute i post "glory to the heroes")

speng31b
May 8, 2010

slava cia

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

The most exclusive pog club in the world

Dan Crenshaw is a pretty crappy person, but he isn't a POG.

So let's not go there.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Until the last Ukrainian is free no Russian should be

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Nonsense posted:

Until the last Ukrainian is free no Russian should be

the last ukrainian is in captivity

the galaxy is at peace

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

tristeham posted:

you need a healthy dose of media literacy methinks

Hell no. I've argued with the archons of media literacy for literal years on these here forums. I've done my time.

redneck nazgul posted:

the last ukrainian is in captivity

the galaxy is at peace

We all know how long THAT lasted last time.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

It's not propaganda if it's from the good guys

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

Wonder what the efficiency difference is between a steam loco and a diesel, let me check...

.... I'm sure it'll be fine

the biggest problem with steam locos was never the machine's efficiency, it's that you need a bespoke locomotive for every sort of rail incline/train weight combination you have on your rail network
like, if you have a 2% grade you need to pull your 1000 ton train onto and you have diesel locos that can pull a 1000 ton train up a 1% grade, you can just couple 2 diesels together and problem solved

you can't easily multiple-unit the old steam locos like you can with diesel-electrics though. firstly because these are hand made, purely mechanical machines, so from the start no two locos are exactly the same, nor do they have any engine control units installed

secondly, you might say, "well, then just have more crewed steamers, surely that works fine!", but it doesn't. it is an absolute loving nightmare for the crews due to how finicky the entire pressure system is in these old machines. the basics of running a single steamer are very simple - if speed starts falling you increase steam pressure in your pistons, if pressure is falling you make the fire burn hotter. as soon as you have two steamers though, this poo poo all goes out the window

even if you had two exact copies of the same loco, unless you also had the exact same fire and boiler level going in both locos for the entire route, you're going to be losing a ton of efficiency from either one of them because one might be burning a bit slower, but your pressure/speed aren't dropping because the other loco is picking up your slack, so you have nothing to react to until the other loco also starts struggling with its own pressure, and by then increasing the fire mass is probably too late because it can take a couple minutes for the heat to kick in and now the entire train is stalled on the grade. and like driving two steamers at the same time is hard, starting two steamers on a grade is just about impossible.

so in the end you'll need like 4-5 instead of the theoretical 2 needed to reliably climb that 2% grade with the same train. you can train the crew to efficiently drive multiple steam locos, or you can just run more, smaller trains and lose a ton of efficiency, but if ukraine is struggling to keep diesels running, lol @ that idea

however, fortunately for them, ukraine is all flat so that's all a non-issue :v:

Truga has issued a correction as of 00:13 on Nov 7, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Truga posted:

the biggest problem with steam locos was never the machine's efficiency, it's that you need a bespoke locomotive for every sort of rail incline/train weight combination you have on your rail network
like, if you have a 2% grade you need to pull your 1000 ton train onto and you have diesel locos that can pull a 1000 ton train up a 1% grade, you can just couple 2 diesels together and problem solved

you can't easily multiple-unit the old steam locos like you can with diesel-electrics though. firstly because these are hand made, purely mechanical machines, so from the start no two locos are exactly the same, nor do they have any engine control units installed

secondly, you might say, "well, then just have more crewed steamers, surely that works fine!", but it doesn't. it is an absolute loving nightmare for the crews due to how finicky the entire pressure system is in these old machines. the basics of running a single steamer are very simple - if speed starts falling you increase steam pressure in your pistons, if pressure is falling you make the fire burn hotter. as soon as you have two steamers though, this poo poo all goes out the window

even if you had two exact copies of the same loco, unless you also had the exact same fire and boiler level going in both locos for the entire route, you're going to be losing a ton of efficiency from either one of them because one might be burning a bit slower, but your pressure/speed aren't dropping because the other loco is picking up your slack, so you have nothing to react to until the other loco also starts struggling with its own pressure, and by then increasing the fire mass is probably too late because it can take a couple minutes for the heat to kick in and now the entire train is stalled on the grade. and like driving two steamers at the same time is hard, starting two steamers on a grade is just about impossible.

so in the end you'll need like 4-5 instead of the theoretical 2 needed to reliably climb that 2% grade with the same train. you can train the crew to efficiently drive multiple steam locos, or you can just run more, smaller trains and lose a ton of efficiency, but if ukraine is struggling to keep diesels running, lol @ that idea

however, fortunately for them, ukraine is all flat so that's all a non-issue :v:

What you're describing all sounds massively inefficient :shrug:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
none of that matters in a country that's almost perfectly flat, op, i just wanted to post about trains a bit

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Ukraine Invasion Thread: i just wanted to post about trains

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Filling up with a tank of diesel vs a guy stoking a fire for four hours before shoveling coal for the whole day = both equally efficient, I get it

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
auto-stokers have existed for over 100 years lol

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Ukraine Invasion Thread: i just wanted to post about trains

trains rock

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

speng31b posted:

trains rock

agreed and i wish we just built more trains instead of having this dumb war

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Says they hate the Soviet Union, but utterly reliant on Soviet disel engines, curious

KomradeX has issued a correction as of 01:25 on Nov 7, 2022

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Truga posted:

auto-stokers have existed for over 100 years lol

They prefere to be called minimum wage employees, thank you

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Majorian posted:

I agree that the state of the digging that we saw during the summer wasn't good, but there was also considerably less time to dig in between February and June than there will be between now and next June. NATO supplies to Ukraine at the time weren't exactly "unlimited," either; supplies and equipment were slow to arrive for quite a while. So far I've heard a lot of talk about reserves being depleted after the Kharkiv offensive, but I haven't seen much in the way of conclusive evidence that that is the case. So far it strikes me as wishful thinking.

Or heaven, depending on your preferences.

Orks is made for fightin'

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Tankbuster posted:

An entire regiment was anal vored.

it needs to be a tweet to count

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Keeping an eye on the pro-Ukraine crowd:

https://twitter.com/RichardBSpencer/status/1589350893547577344