Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Chromatics posted:

I only saw the one video that seemed to be talking about their regular acrylic line.

If they can fix the reactivation problem that would be great but speedpaints do their job better than citadel contrast by a large margin

I'm inclined to agree with you, except for reactivating dried paint on my pallette.

Normally I just layer up weeks of dried goop in the pallette, but with reactivation tends to cause colours to mix with old paint...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

It's definitely something to work around, I have to do a matte varnish sometimes but for me it's worth it

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Imperfect, but done. Bases intentionally left bare. Just happy to have a finished force for any game at all so I can go down to my LGS again.

I think the Spider came out as my favorite.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Those are super solid, good work!

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Would anyone happen to know of some good shield and weapon minis in dynamic poses? I’m putting together some wolfen proxies and I really don’t like their normal models. I’ll use the storm cast folks if I have no choice but their shields are pretty distinctive. I already have ten wolfen heads I got from a friend who turned his wolfen into skaven.

Tzaangors and Kairic Acolytes from AoS look promising, possibly.

a fatguy baldspot fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 3, 2022

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

SkyeAuroline posted:

Imperfect, but done. Bases intentionally left bare. Just happy to have a finished force for any game at all so I can go down to my LGS again.

I think the Spider came out as my favorite.

Those are rad, I love the colors. I'm getting ready to print out some 'Mechs to get into Battletech, even though I have no idea what would make a good starter set.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Count Thrashula posted:

Those are rad, I love the colors. I'm getting ready to print out some 'Mechs to get into Battletech, even though I have no idea what would make a good starter set.

Can't go too wrong by copying one of the regular mech sets, as far as I can tell. The Command Lance and Support Lance (this is a support lance box) have pretty good spreads of generalists, the rest lean into niches depending on who or what you favor. Not constrained to those, of course, but they're decent examples for "the game designers think these make a good set". Battletech thread can probably help more, I've only ever played via Megamek before where the limitations of miniatures don't exist.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
After seeing so many great minis and paint jobs in this thread, I started painting my first box of warhammer minis. I’ve painted lots of other things but not really WH.

Still finishing some little details but I really enjoyed painting this half of the warband.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
They're so drat good

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Painted up my first Votann boy, these models are such a blast to assemble and paint. I'm in love.

Just gotta do this exact paint job like 29 more times...

Edit-- work's slow, here's a Khal!

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 3, 2022

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Serperoth posted:

Working on a couple of these old LotR minis, I'm liking how this dude is coming out so far. Couldn't do a second pass with the metallic immediately, so that will be the first order of business Thursday. My coverage is getting better I feel, and the other guy in the pair (I had two of the sword dudes) should end up even better.

Also stripping some WizKids DnD figures that someone had painted, IPA really kills paint, huh? It's dark out so I'll do most of the work tomorrow but even dripping some on a toothbrush and a little bit of scrubbing has left me with a pretty clean surface, so they should be nice and clean without much trouble

Is there anything I can do to/about his tunic? I was thinking of getting a lighter shade of blue (for example Army Painter's Ultramarine Blue), thinning it out nicely, and doing a layer of it over the darker blue I have now (Cobalt Blue IIRC). Would that work, or should I wash the miniature first (thinking of black or blue, get those armor details popping), THEN lighten it?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Serperoth posted:

Is there anything I can do to/about his tunic? I was thinking of getting a lighter shade of blue (for example Army Painter's Ultramarine Blue), thinning it out nicely, and doing a layer of it over the darker blue I have now (Cobalt Blue IIRC). Would that work, or should I wash the miniature first (thinking of black or blue, get those armor details popping), THEN lighten it?

Get a very light yellow (like Pale Sand) and mix that with your base blue for your highlight. As to when, if you are going to wash it, do it after the wash.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

vmc light flesh or sunny skintone are god tier for mixing in to make a colour lighter

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ice yellow and Sky Blue are my go tos. I'm basic

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Finished up the body of this contemptor dread for my HH Iron Warriors army.

Since it was so big I tried to do edge highlighting for the first time. It didn't go so great but it was fun to practice.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Lumpy posted:

Get a very light yellow (like Pale Sand) and mix that with your base blue for your highlight. As to when, if you are going to wash it, do it after the wash.

jesus WEP posted:

vmc light flesh or sunny skintone are god tier for mixing in to make a colour lighter

Spanish Manlove posted:

Ice yellow and Sky Blue are my go tos. I'm basic

For those, if it'd be a highlight, I wouldn't want to cover the whole surface of it then, right? I'd want to use it on the more "outer" parts, away from the edges, or where it's covered by the armor. For example, using the rear as a larger area, it'd be in the red areas, but not the yellow, or am I getting it mixed up?

It was only looking at this that I realize how uneven the light when I was taking the picture was, but I was in a bit of a hurry. The shield (and sword) are still unpainted by the way, that tree in the front has me still very apprehensive, and I want to pick some nice colours for it rather than black/white/grey/silver/brown

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Serperoth posted:

For those, if it'd be a highlight, I wouldn't want to cover the whole surface of it then, right? I'd want to use it on the more "outer" parts, away from the edges, or where it's covered by the armor. For example, using the rear as a larger area, it'd be in the red areas, but not the yellow, or am I getting it mixed up?

It was only looking at this that I realize how uneven the light when I was taking the picture was, but I was in a bit of a hurry. The shield (and sword) are still unpainted by the way, that tree in the front has me still very apprehensive, and I want to pick some nice colours for it rather than black/white/grey/silver/brown

Just think "what is facing my imaginary light source". You can even put your mini under a lamp: where is the light catching? The middle of those areas are where your highlights go. Then in the middle of those highlights, you make smaller, brighter highlights, mixing in more of your light color. Attached is a horrible example of where I would guess some decent highlight placements would go done in Preview.app. Obviously you'd build them up with thin layers so there was smooth transitions (or not, your call!) Something fun to note is that the lightest ones are actually green, but your brain will say "warm light reflecting off of blue" because that is what we actually see in reality.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Lumpy posted:

Just think "what is facing my imaginary light source". You can even put your mini under a lamp: where is the light catching? The middle of those areas are where your highlights go. Then in the middle of those highlights, you make smaller, brighter highlights, mixing in more of your light color. Attached is a horrible example of where I would guess some decent highlight placements would go done in Preview.app. Obviously you'd build them up with thin layers so there was smooth transitions (or not, your call!) Something fun to note is that the lightest ones are actually green, but your brain will say "warm light reflecting off of blue" because that is what we actually see in reality.

Seeing it like this makes a lot of sense to me, thank you. Like I wouldn't be making his tunic a lighter blue overall, it'd be a dark blue tunic, that the sun is hitting at X angle so these spots are lit, so the color that hits the eye is brighter. An angle like what you mentioned seems like a good fit for it too, I'll wash the guy Monday and see what feels best.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Serperoth posted:

Seeing it like this makes a lot of sense to me, thank you. Like I wouldn't be making his tunic a lighter blue overall, it'd be a dark blue tunic, that the sun is hitting at X angle so these spots are lit, so the color that hits the eye is brighter. An angle like what you mentioned seems like a good fit for it too, I'll wash the guy Monday and see what feels best.

Take a flashlight and shine it on the model and see what happens to the edges.

But really the whole idea of volumetric highlights like what's been suggested is to help the human eye see such a tiny model from farther away. Your eyes work by "edge detection" where you tell where one object ends and another starts by a change in color between the two. This is also why panel lining and pin washing are so effective for models. There was this ultra black matte paint that a bunch of YouTubers made gimmick videos out of and turns out when you make something completely black with almost no reflective light the models details will be completely unidentifiable

The tunic will still appear to be dark because the majority of it will be dark, it's just that on the raised edges that will catch light the main dark blue color will be broken up and be able to be read as something other than a formless blue blob. When you paint something well you're trying to make the model look like it's in the best lighting possible.

Look at some models on games workshops website or whatever game company of choice and see how they paint cloth. The majority of the cloth will be a single color but the surfaces facing the ambient light source will get some lighter colors as that's what they would do at full scale naturally.

Acidix
Aug 8, 2007

Winner of the terrible contest
One of the tutorials I am following used blister foam to apply weathering, and after a move, I honestly can't find any old blisters to grab the foam from. Anyone have any thoughts as to an alternative? I feel like Mr. Clean erasers are too dense, and regular sponge would be not dense enough.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Acidix posted:

One of the tutorials I am following used blister foam to apply weathering, and after a move, I honestly can't find any old blisters to grab the foam from. Anyone have any thoughts as to an alternative? I feel like Mr. Clean erasers are too dense, and regular sponge would be not dense enough.

Cheap-rear end sponge scourers for washing dishes are a very similar texture to the packing sponge from blister packs (the sponge bit, not the scourer bit). Personally I picked up a cheap pack of natural sponges/sea sponges in an art store (or you can get a sea sponge bath loofah or similar and tear bits off that). Its not as closed/regular as a man made sponge but honestly I find that irregularity better for doing weathering.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Acidix posted:

Pluck foam trays from army transport cases have been my go-to for years.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Dont use foam for admech, tho. Theyve got too many fiddly bits that get stuck on anything and everything

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Acidix posted:

Facial scrubbing wedges from the dollar store are great for chipping

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Finished another 4 battletech mechs.

khazadum
Dec 1, 2006

I AM NOT A MERRY MAN

Acidix posted:

aquarium filter sponges are really good for this. big open cell structure, and a 10 dollar filter can last a long time depending on how you use it.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Been in a bit of a hobby slump the last month or two. Wanted to want to paint, had figures on the painting desk, but nope. Got one base colour down hoping that would then motivate me to keep going but... still nope. So I took the advice I always give when other people are feeling like that and tried something a bit different but related. Dug out some terrain that was sitting in the bottom of a box, painted that and had a lot of fun with it.... But still could not motivate myself to paint figures. Scratch built a simple wee piece of terrain, painted that up over a couple of evenings, interspersed with a few evenings of not even thinking about anything hobby related to take the pressure I was kind of putting on myself back off and that combination finally did it. TL:DR - I'm back on my bullshit.

All Malifaux, a "Last Blossom" Ten Thunders crew. Second edition figures. Wanted to give the new(-ish) contrast yellow a try, I have to say, its pretty good.

Misaki Katanaka, crew leader, and her fire type pokemon ninetales kitsune totem, Shang. For the record, that is a load bearing magic effect on Misaki as its connected to her raised food and is the main anchor point to the base as the foot on the ground is on tippy toes. The 3rd edition model looks marginally more stable, but I kind of like this one. Shang is stood on cork because he just flat out doesnt fit on that base.

Ototo and Yamizako. Talking of not fitting on the base, at least in Ototos case its obviously deliberate, and kind of hilarious. It did mean I had to glue some scraps of metal to the underside of his base to shift its centre of balance enough for it to stay upright on its own. Yamizako was kind of a gently caress up. I bought her already assembled, and saw there was a bit of a seam/gap but thought it was small enough that I'd get away with being lazy and not filling it. The contrast paint of course immediately made it look like the grand canyon, so I went back and tried to fill it when it was already primed and partially painted, then had to try and cover the bit I'd fixed and get it to blend... Not the easiest thing with contrast paints, and the sprue goo kind of did not get on with the primer on the cloak, caused some little texture issues. Not as obvious in person, but easily my least favourite model out the crew and the last thing I needed tbh.

The Minions, one Katanaka Sniper (there is a rifle on his back I swear) and 3 Torakage. It just really amuses me to have stealth assassins painted canary yellow, but I did at least tone it down a bit for the sniper. By the time I got to the Torakage I was back in my stride and enjoying painting again, they're probably my favourites out this crew.

Crew group shot;

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
What if I made my Kommando Nob Terry Bogard from king of fighters and fatal fury?

lol the more I think of it the more appealing the idea is to me, shame there's no hair to make blonde lol.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Finished the dragon.

(Hatchet job background removal - nasty rear end painting desk needs a tidy.)

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Sick dragon!! How do you do the glow like that?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Al-Saqr posted:

What if I made my Kommando Nob Terry Bogard from king of fighters and fatal fury?

lol the more I think of it the more appealing the idea is to me, shame there's no hair to make blonde lol.

IZ YOU OKAY?

BUSTA WAAAGH

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Sick dragon!! How do you do the glow like that?

Green ink in resin for the flames, poured over crinkledup saran wrap then hit with a uv light, then a bit of yellow ink for the bottom by airbrush, darker green for the top.
For the neck I mixed white ink and flow improver to paint in the scars recesses. Then green flourescent paint with lime green ink all over with the airbrush, then pour out some of the mixture into the pallette, add flow improver and yellow ink and paint that into most of the recess, then remove most of the mixture and add white ink so it's a barely yellow white, then paint that in selectively.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Al-Saqr posted:

This is incredible

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Silhouette posted:

IZ YOU OKAY?

BUSTA WAAAGH

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Tried a painting exercise today - three paints (Prussian Blue,
Magenta, and Yellow) plus black and white, two hours, and trying to keep things interesting and avoiding the use of any unmixed paints. I think it came out okay given how mediocre of a painter I am.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I recently was gifted an army painter wargamer paint set. Does anyone have a site or video they could recommend that says which ones are going to be particularly crappy or specifically good?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Improbable Lobster posted:

I recently was gifted an army painter wargamer paint set. Does anyone have a site or video they could recommend that says which ones are going to be particularly crappy or specifically good?

I haven't run into any "crappy" ones, and I have a lot. Like most paint ranges, you just need to get used to them. The lighter greens are very transparent, and you need to shake the heck out of all them (or use a vortex mixer) but all in all, I like the whole range.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Glazing over metallics with speedpaint is just so god drat satisfying. Starting to crank out some holiday gifts .

If I understand the idea of airbrushing contrast paints and their ilk, this is what In doing:

-prime black.
-airbrush on some Vallejo metal chainmail with a drop of speedpaint dark blue
-zenithal of Vallejo metal silver
-glaze with speedpaint. Apply extra if you want the color to pool and wash an area instead

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 7, 2022

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Things I learned while magnetizing the Redemptor:

3x1 are slightly too big and I should have used 2x1

Don't cut the tab off to fit a magnet in there, dig deeper into the gun shoulder instead, or the strength of the magnet will not be enough to hold the gun up, you need the magnet and the tension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Silhouette posted:

IZ YOU OKAY?

BUSTA WAAAGH

Count Thrashula posted:

This is incredible

Lol ok then, it's settled, I'm gonna theme the orks as fighting game and shooter game Characters.

The team name will be:-

KINGZ O' FITIN'

The roster will take direct color pallete inspiration from:-

Terry Bogard and king of fighters

Metal slug (Marco and Tarma)

Ikari Warriors

Street fighters

other fighting and shooting games

other names can be:- IKAREE WAAARGHIAZ, METAL SLUGZ.

this will be the team banner, I made it me-self!