Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Ragnarok’s accessibility features have been revealed and they’re pretty drat comprehensive.

I managed GoW2018 without any additional options but it’s nice to know they exist in the new game.

Good to see. I've always thought this was great, and the more we see of it across the industry will continue to help more and more people game. Sony and Microsoft first party studios seem to be leading the way and hopefully this will become more common.

I recently went from minor hearing issues that meant I generally turned on subtitles to now being in the moderate to severe hearing loss range. This will be the first big AAA game I've ever played since then. Seeing there are options for things like directionality and speaker identification will be things I'll definitely be checking out as those are things I have issues with in real life and I'm glad developers are starting to think of options like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Decades posted:

I pretty much gave up playing games a few years ago because I got busy with work and was a bit disappointed with my xbox one. In that time I also started thinking of games as a vice or a waste of time. I worked from home during the covid lockdown, felt trapped and got pretty depressed. I killed some time with a switch and animal crossing, as was the thing to do at the time. That lead to BOTW and then some good xbone games - mainly Control, Dark Souls 2, Doom Eternal, and Nier Automata, which all really impressed me in different ways.  

The games were good, but things still felt a bit out of balance. While I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with interacting with a screen all day for both work and recreation for some people, it was not working out for me. For summer 2021 I pretty much put the games back down in order to maximize my time spent outside interacting with nature while not glued to my work laptop. This worked pretty well, but it wasn't awesome, and I missed my vidya games. Was this the new life balance I would need to accept as an adult?

I decided nuts to that, and quit my good stable computer touching job. I enrolled in a year-long horticulture certificate program, got a crappy landscaping job, worked my way up and jumped around a bit, and now have a very cool and challenging job working full time with a nice local tree company. Now I do enjoyable but physically difficult work outdoors, and get home each day with my body tired and my mind relatively fresh, ready to smoke a bowl and jump into games with the kind of guilt-free, liberated enthusiasm I hadn't felt since I was a kid.

I had always been an xbox guy, but I realized if I switched to PS this gen I would have access to the whole PS4 back catalog, which is pretty much new to me and includes some of the best regarded games ever. I saw a PS5 available on Sony's website and grabbed it (bump-having model, HFW bundle). I decided to leave it in the box until I finished my coursework to help me stay focussed. Now I'm less than a week away and this is the most excited I've been to spark up a new console since the original Xbox.

Awesome post, lovely story, I am jealous of your job, and can confirm that the PS5 is amazing, as are all the games you're gonna play on it. Whoop!

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Welcome

You should start by playing Astro's Playroom, the free game that comes preloaded on the machine. It's basically a playable ad, but it's a lot of fun and really shows off what the controller can do.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Decades posted:

I pretty much gave up playing games a few years ago because I got busy with work and was a bit disappointed with my xbox one. In that time I also started thinking of games as a vice or a waste of time. I worked from home during the covid lockdown, felt trapped and got pretty depressed. I killed some time with a switch and animal crossing, as was the thing to do at the time. That lead to BOTW and then some good xbone games - mainly Control, Dark Souls 2, Doom Eternal, and Nier Automata, which all really impressed me in different ways.  

The games were good, but things still felt a bit out of balance. While I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with interacting with a screen all day for both work and recreation for some people, it was not working out for me. For summer 2021 I pretty much put the games back down in order to maximize my time spent outside interacting with nature while not glued to my work laptop. This worked pretty well, but it wasn't awesome, and I missed my vidya games. Was this the new life balance I would need to accept as an adult?

I decided nuts to that, and quit my good stable computer touching job. I enrolled in a year-long horticulture certificate program, got a crappy landscaping job, worked my way up and jumped around a bit, and now have a very cool and challenging job working full time with a nice local tree company. Now I do enjoyable but physically difficult work outdoors, and get home each day with my body tired and my mind relatively fresh, ready to smoke a bowl and jump into games with the kind of guilt-free, liberated enthusiasm I hadn't felt since I was a kid.

I had always been an xbox guy, but I realized if I switched to PS this gen I would have access to the whole PS4 back catalog, which is pretty much new to me and includes some of the best regarded games ever. I saw a PS5 available on Sony's website and grabbed it (bump-having model, HFW bundle). I decided to leave it in the box until I finished my coursework to help me stay focussed. Now I'm less than a week away and this is the most excited I've been to spark up a new console since the original Xbox.

:getin:

The PS4 back catalog is fantastic. If you're a stickler for continuity, maybe play Horizon Zero Dawn before HFW.

There is a subscription service called Playstation Plus that you need if you want to play online with buddies. Since you have a PS5, if you subscribe to Playstation Plus, you will have access to the Playstation Plus Collection, which is 19 PS4 games (some with PS5 upgrades). You're going to have a huge backlog instantly.

Also, the running joke is the PS5 has no games, be sure to make comments about that from time to time.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Kazzah posted:

Welcome

You should start by playing Astro's Playroom, the free game that comes preloaded on the machine. It's basically a playable ad, but it's a lot of fun and really shows off what the controller can do.

Yes, it's free so no reason not to get it.

It's meant to show off the controller, yet you can't loving inverse the y axis

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Dewgy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaWYRMn0vjo

Here’s a video of me taking her down on the second-hardest difficulty if you just wanna see it the whole way through.

Not saying you’re wrong by the way, she’s a huge pain in the rear end. :v:

the fact that this is ten minutes of you slowly whittling her down is kind of indicative of how bad this fight is lol

I remember revisiting GoW 2018 a couple years ago and going pretty confident into this fight after learning all the counters/etc of the others but after a few too many 'took off about half her health and then died in two hits because I didn't turn fast enough' I just dropped it down to baby difficulty to finish her off and see how the cutscene went

I'm weirdly not hyped about the sequel despite loving the game (other than that fight and the two lovely grindy combat arenas), I think it's because I picked up RDR2 again recently and immediately went fully 'hunt all the animals -> make all the clothes' mode

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Decades posted:

:) top tier good vibes post. Welcome to the PS5 party!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Decades posted:

You should join the Playstation Goon Discord. The invite is in the OP. And we have discussions about lots of ps4 and ps5 games. And we can help find recommendations for you and help you through whatever game you're on!

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Disappointed to learn PS5 has no games, but nice to see y'all have such a pleasant attitude about it.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Thanks for the tips folks. I want to play HFW and Ragnarok and this thread has already convinced me to start with zero dawn and 2018 GoW first, so those will be two of the first in the queue, after Astro's playroom. After that I'm most looking forward to:

Spider-man
Elden Ring
Gran Turismo 7
Last of Us 1 and 2
Deathloop
Persona 5 Royal
Disco Elysium
Returnal
Outer Wilds
Ghosts of Tsushima
Death Stranding 
Sifu
Stray

Also these games that are probably not as good as those, but I still want to check them out:

Mortal Kombat 11
Outer World
Rollerdrome
Wreckfest
Final Fantasy 7
Psychonauts 2
Ratchet & Clank stuff
Uncharted things
Various Residents Evil
Various Calls of Doody
Hell maybe even a Crash Bandicoot

Also, I never got around to RDR 2, MGS 5, Bloodborne, Sekiro, or the Yakuza games. No idea when I might actually get to them so maybe there'll be updates by then.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Is gow cheaper on ps4?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Real hurthling! posted:

Is gow cheaper on ps4?

Yes but you have to pay to upgrade to PS5 so it doesn't work out much better

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Forbidden West was the last Sony game to get the free upgrade dealio IIRC

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Nuts and Gum posted:

I was okay with manual looting in Forizon:FW, then I played Elden Ring and realized, in a giant fast paced open world, that mechanic is best left behind.

Then the devs added ‘press button to autoloot’ as a toggle to H:FW and it made the last 1/3 of that game so much better. Just hovering up resources like it ain’t no thang.

I think it’s fine in slower paced games like RDR2, though. Slapping that hide on the back of my horse is part of the experience.

this is weird to me, because in horizon, without the auto loot thing turned on you have to stop moving to actually loot, or you do a little animation and it slows you down at least, but in elden ring to loot things you just mash triangle and you hoover it up without slowing down.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Decades posted:

Thanks for the tips folks. I want to play HFW and Ragnarok and this thread has already convinced me to start with zero dawn and 2018 GoW first, so those will be two of the first in the queue, after Astro's playroom. After that I'm most looking forward to:

Spider-man
Elden Ring
Gran Turismo 7
Last of Us 1 and 2
Deathloop
Persona 5 Royal
Disco Elysium
Returnal
Outer Wilds
Ghosts of Tsushima
Death Stranding 
Sifu
Stray

Also these games that are probably not as good as those, but I still want to check them out:

Mortal Kombat 11
Outer World
Rollerdrome
Wreckfest
Final Fantasy 7
Psychonauts 2
Ratchet & Clank stuff
Uncharted things
Various Residents Evil
Various Calls of Doody
Hell maybe even a Crash Bandicoot

Also, I never got around to RDR 2, MGS 5, Bloodborne, Sekiro, or the Yakuza games. No idea when I might actually get to them so maybe there'll be updates by then.

Outer Worlds is poop from a butt, don’t bother when you have so many other games to catch up on. Don’t even bother when you run out of other games to catch up on. It sucks.

GoW 2018 can be finished in like 13-14 hours if you only do the story, I replayed it this weekend to refresh myself before Ragnarok hits this week and it felt like no time at all.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

imhotep posted:

this is weird to me, because in horizon, without the auto loot thing turned on you have to stop moving to actually loot, or you do a little animation and it slows you down at least, but in elden ring to loot things you just mash triangle and you hoover it up without slowing down.

I propose a return to the golden days of frictionless item collection.

I’m half kidding. But sometimes I think higher budget poo poo actually set back some elements of design. We wouldn’t be having a conversation like this if fidelity didn’t necessitate—supposedly anyhow—animations for every incidental action.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I liked Sekiro where you can just hold a button and everything gets sucked to you as a nice middle ground.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Decades posted:

Spider-man
Elden Ring
Gran Turismo 7
Last of Us 1 and 2
Deathloop
Persona 5 Royal
Disco Elysium
Returnal
Outer Wilds
Ghosts of Tsushima
Death Stranding 
Sifu
Stray

Final Fantasy 7
Psychonauts 2

i haven't finished persona 5 royal, but i got to the third palace and felt like i'd played at least 65 hours or so, and got a bit bored of it, and havent played deathloop, but i've played and completed every other game on the list and they're all great (or i wouldn't call deathloop great necessarily, but i enjoyed a lot of aspects of it).

do you mean final fantasy 7 remake? cause i'd say it's as good as the rest of those games, or in my top 5 in that list at least. also psychonauts 2 is actually really good, and i didn't even play the first that much, i stopped playing after probably the second world, but i nearly 100%ed psychonauts 2 and really enjoyed it.

have you played control? cause that list is (or contains, at least) basically like my list of best games for the ps4/5, but i'd also add control, (and sekiro. and the last guardian, and i guess a few others, but yeah)

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I really loved how it worked in Dishonoured where you hold square and sweep your crosshair over items to pick them all up like an gold-addicted vengance-dealing vacuum cleaner.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Has anyone had any negative experience buying games from a third party seller on Amazon? Bought a copy of Judgement from one since it was $10 cheaper and the feedback for the seller seemed to be mostly positive.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Willo567 posted:

Has anyone had any negative experience buying games from a third party seller on Amazon? Bought a copy of Judgement from one since it was $10 cheaper and the feedback for the seller seemed to be mostly positive.

Sometimes you get a copy of the game that’s not from your local PSN region so you can’t buy any DLC for it unless you make another PSN account in the matching region to buy it on.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
You may end up with PEGI copies which GameStop won’t take as trade in.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Doesn’t GoW still have the instant-use health pickups and rage supercharges that you would want to save until the ideal time? How does that work with auto pickup?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

Doesn’t GoW still have the instant-use health pickups and rage supercharges that you would want to save until the ideal time? How does that work with auto pickup?

I haven’t seen any reviewers explain how it works in practice but based on the above it sounds like you can set it to not pick up any of the combat collectibles at all and only do money and materials, or to have it pick them up ‘when needed’ so presumably it won’t just hoover up health and rage when you’re already maxed out.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I watched the IGN review of GoW2 and it’s just embarrassing. Not a single piece of negative feedback, just it’s so much better and grander and the greatest game of all time!!1

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Great list, but I'd also remove Stray from a must play...

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

bows1 posted:

Great list, but I'd also remove Stray from a must play...

Stray is at least another very short game.

Sometimes it’s nice to play something that’s not a 40 hour AAA epic, but yeah, it’s merely ok.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The Perfect Element posted:

gently caress, leonine misbegotten is so loving tough. He's been kicking my face in all night. It's stopped being fun so I've just hosed off somewhere else and will come back later. Everyone on reddit seems to be saying that basically once you have a long weapon he becomes really easy cos you can just stagger him, and / or there's an Ash you can apply to your shield which means you don't lose all your stamina when you block his attacks... So I'll just wait until I've got either of those options.

Aaargh so frustrating though. A small handful of times I managed to get him to the last 25% or so of HP, but he has so many different quick attacks that as soon as you misjudge your timing once you're pretty much dead.

One of my favorite fights. It's where I discovered how good Guard Countering can be which opened up a bunch of the game for me.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I've had Stray installed for a while but I'm kinda dreading playing it because my dog loving loves watching animals on TV and stuff and I know he'll get Real Excited and make it a pain

Even the dog in Spy x Family and the Nintendogs run at GDQ and animal-themed v*ubers make him shove his face as close to the TV or monitor as he can

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

I've had Stray installed for a while but I'm kinda dreading playing it because my dog loving loves watching animals on TV and stuff and I know he'll get Real Excited and make it a pain

Even the dog in Spy x Family and the Nintendogs run at GDQ and animal-themed v*ubers make him shove his face as close to the TV or monitor as he can

Don’t deprive that good boy.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Decades posted:

All first posts itt should be this good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

BurningBeard posted:

Don’t deprive that good boy.

Sigh..yeah..maybe I'll walk him before I play it, get some of that energy out

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

Stray is 100% a vibes game. I knew some of the taskmaster types on this forum wouldn't care for it when it finally dropped, it's a game all about enjoying incredible art direction, music, ambience at an unhurried pace and inhabiting the form of a small creature who can't stop knocking poo poo off of tables and/or ledges. There's not really anything else like it out there imo. It's not strictly like a walking sim or a game that plays itself, but a lot of the charm is in just being able to chill watch the cat doze off occasionally as the controller vibrates and purrs and shitpost on the side.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Stray would be much better if you could control the cat’s jumps instead of them all being pretty much on rails.

There isn’t even that much poo poo to knock over.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Finally playing GOW 18 in anticipation of Ragnarok and I'm clearly poo poo at this game. Playing on give me a challenge and each combat takes at least half a dozen tries to pass, even the mooks feel like they have twice as many hp as you'd expect.

I think I'm going to suck it up and admit that my gaming reflexes aren't what they used to be and drop the difficulty.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

There is an entire world of poo poo to knock over.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Tirade posted:

Finally playing GOW 18 in anticipation of Ragnarok and I'm clearly poo poo at this game. Playing on give me a challenge and each combat takes at least half a dozen tries to pass, even the mooks feel like they have twice as many hp as you'd expect.

I think I'm going to suck it up and admit that my gaming reflexes aren't what they used to be and drop the difficulty.

Use your fists to stun enemies before using the axe to work down their HP. Knocking enemies into walls works well too

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I normally don't like walking sims and tend to choose games that focus on excellent combat design. I also don't really like cats, relative to other pets. But Hong Kong is one of my favorite cities and I like really chunky analog tech aesthetics, so navigating a world designed after those influences with a character that has the scale and maneuverability of a cat was really cool. I enjoyed all of its short runtime and did all the exploring collectible doohickey activities, which I usually skip in games.

Anyway, as the above poster said, if the vibe of the game looks cool, you'll prob love it. The mechanics are just there to give your fingers something to do while you take in said vibes though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Don’t play on challenge for your first try, the combat is very different from most brawlers and you have barely any upgrades right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

History Comes Inside! posted:

Stray would be much better if you could control the cat’s jumps instead of them all being pretty much on rails.

There isn’t even that much poo poo to knock over.

nah it would ruin the feel of the game if the cat could just jump all willy nilly, just jumping up and down in place, and not to anything. or it would just look goofy and for the most part the game has pretty deliberate movement and animation.

i wish god of war had more tracks as good as this, it's one of the few i can actually remember aside from the main theme that was in all the trailers, with the tenor/bass choir
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wiUzJ_vXb8

this track just came on after it and it's also p good too and i remember it now, but the dragon theme is like one of the cooler songs for this type of soundtrack that i've heard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyk0QOLQ3fA

also sindri's voice actor is pretty good, but it reminds me of david cross and it would be cool if david cross voiced a stupid comedic character in god of war

imhotep fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 7, 2022